What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going into our bitty town to get the mail and fill up with gas. When husband naps. Drove daughter to Wichita airport late morning, so she's on her way home. Just talked with my favorite cousin, and I'll be going over after lunch tomorrow when husband naps. I'll bring the "chocolate plate". I owe her one since her husband's funeral.

Today is my Friday. It's been a funky week. I thought it was just Tues. but evidently many folks are taking not just Tues., but the whole week off as in business is closed this week. Working on year end "stuff." Not too bad so far as much of it I can't actually do until after the 31st.
Got the tree undecorated this morning and after work will have it out of the house so I can clean and get things back in order.
Looking forward to the long weekend without company or mass kitchen time.
So who wants to take bets on what @Patchouli is up to.
I will weigh in that she's going to be flying from the trapeze at a circus coming to a town near you. 😂

Last edited:
Today is my Friday. It's been a funky week. I thought it was just Tues. but evidently many folks are taking not just Tues., but the whole week off as in business is closed this week. Working on year end "stuff." Not too bad so far as much of it I can't actually do until after the 31st.
Got the tree undecorated this morning and after work will have it out of the house so I can clean and get things back in order.
I will weigh in the she's going to be flying from the trapeze at a circus coming to a town near you. 😂
We got a lot of folks out this week. Good time for me to be there. Not getting pulled in 12 directions at once all day.

I'm thinking about replacing all the locks on the house, I'm thinking about getting all keyed the same so I only need 1 key for everything...
We have very sturdy metal ‘screen’ doors. There is no screening in them but sturdy steel with holes in them.

The “screen doors and the inner doors both have doorknob locks and deadbolts. One key will open all 8 locks.
IMG_0667.jpeg
IMG_0668.jpeg

I'm thinking about replacing all the locks on the house, I'm thinking about getting all keyed the same so I only need 1 key for everything...
"Kwikset" makes locks that are easy to rekey, their "smartkey" locks.
While re-keying your door lock is not a requirement of lock installation, SmartKey allows you to quickly and easily reset your lock's cylinder to work with any KW1 Keyway key.

https://kwiksetprodstorage.blob.core.windows.net/documents/kw_smt_5029550.pdf

Last edited:
Last night I started my truck and the service electrical system warning came on.
The serpentine belt was off the pulleys.
I had it towed to the dealer this morning. I was not about to lay on the wet ground under my truck.
Plus I figured the idler pully was bad.
They didn't find a cause for the belt to come off and nothing was broken.
I checked where my truck was parked and found some cat hair.
The cat has been seen today so it survived and wasn't hurt too bad apparently.
Still cost me $225. Stupid feral cats.

I will weigh in the she's going to be flying from the trapeze at a circus coming to a town near you. 😂
I'll try to get pictures!!😉

Where is Waldo today?
IMG_20231228_135407.jpg

Useless tip: If somebody says "Let's go to Dollywood", what they really mean is:
"Lets go walk continuously for four hours!🤪" gaah :mad:
I won't mention about the old guy that ran his scooter up the back of my leg.
The front wheels even came up in the air.:oops:
...Finally back, and I need drugs and beer.:drink buddy:

S
Where is Waldo today?
View attachment 121977
Useless tip: If somebody says "Let's go to Dollywood", what they really mean is:

Sorry you had to endure that. I've been there once and never want to go back

Where is Waldo today?
View attachment 121977
Can I fix you up! 🤣🤣🤣

Quiet Christmas at my brother's place. Then the next day Mom into the hospital for a procedure to remove her kidney stone - which was gone! I asked why they didn't do an xray to confirm where it was before putting her under for the procedure, but my questions weren't welcomed. Hospitals are death traps, I'm just grateful she survived and got back out.
Stayed up reaaaallly late to visit with Daughter, she works nights so I try to adapt to her schedule a bit when she's here. Unfortunately I lost track of the days and realized at about 3 am that I was supposed to be at work at 6 am. Ooops. Thankful to be a remote worker, no time cards! Made it to the computer by 8 and worked 2 hours later than normal to make up for it.
Having trouble getting enough energy to get anything done; it's been foggy and rainy for days so that doesn't help. Some nice bright snow and bracing cold would be good, instead of this chilly rainy mess. I did finally manage to get some paperwork done and in the mail today.
Spending a lot of time just sitting in my chair dreaming over greenhouse and gardening websites. Thinking of putting up a second greenhouse after I rebuild the one my Husband made for me.

Supposed to take the goat bucks and ram to the auction truck tomorrow. Big new years sale at New Holland coming up.
But, it "might' snow tonight, Depending on how much and how much is on the road we might not be able to get our trailer down, plus it's an hour drive to drop them off. I need to call and find out if they will move the date to Sunday depending on the weather. Either way, they need to be ear tagged. Debating on if we should just load them in the trailer this evening , but maybe not they might hurt each other in the smaller space, but the ram could go in.

Well, it's back to freezing. Just made a fire in the stove

did all the laundry yesterday, some of it still hanging on the clotheline frozen outside. That was a mistake, I should have put it all indoors

Not much else planned for today.

I've got laundry on racks in our bedroom. It hasn't gone much above freezing here lately, except for today it will! High of 46 way later. Right now it's only 26. Husband keeps the bedroom temp on pretty high, and it also dries laundry well. There, or near the wood stove in the kitchen.
Just animal chores and some inside stuff to do today till afternoon. Visiting my favorite cousin this afternoon. It's been awhile, and I've been missing her and her daughter. So coffee and chocolate and good conversation.

I ordered my meds from jase medical yesterday. I only take two, and I'm hoping I can get off the BP meds at some point.
But anyway, one year worth of bp meds was 50 bucks. One year worth of thyroid was 21 plus the 90 dollar patient fee.
It is 40 bucks total for both just to get a refill every 3 months on my insurance..so there is a savings with this and I will have a year supply in my preps.
I think it's a pretty good deal..
I'm interested in the jase case antibiotics case they sell but i need to ask about a few questions n do a tad of looking up.
Short night tonight hopefully..holidays tend to screw up friday nights schedules.
We get next monday off for new years so I get 3 days to switch myself to getting up at 4am.
It's a beautiful morning here..

Today the wife had a bad day, she had uncontrollable shakes, they just came on but I finally got her back to her recliner and they eventually settled down...

I ended up cooking way more than normal. Before sunrise, I soft scrambled 2 dozen eggs (my breakfast for a couple of weeks) followed by some fried eggs & bacon for the wife's breakfast, then I made myself fish & chips for lunch, later I made some meatloaf and steamed asparagus for our dinner, after that I made a quiche for the wife's breakfasts for the next week or so. Now, I have dishes waiting... Well, if I'm working I don't have time to worry about things....

I don't think I will be able to do any more hunting this year, just can't leave the house....

Got the Christmas stuff packed up. Ironed a few things, did 3 loads of laundry 🧺 and began working on the arduous task of getting pictures in order so they can go in photo albums. 😵‍💫. I actually texted my SIL and thanked her for writing dates on pictures of nieces. Brother and his family will go in one album. Hubby and I have been married over 12 years and photos are still in the envelope. Those will be next. Then my kids- their mom wasn’t as good at dating photos 🫣

Changed the strings on my guitar this morning. 5 of them died a natural death, worn out after a month. One went wonky about 4 days ago, sounded horrible. The reason I mention it… a bad string is pretty rare. Been years since the last one and it's something you usually notice right away. This one developed bad harmonics over several weeks, odd. The note was true but the harmonics were flat. I’ve never seen one fail like this before. Maybe they changed the manufacturing process?

Anyway, took dad to town this afternoon, grocery shopping and errands. My dad is an escape artist with an electric handicap shopping cart. Twice today I was literally talking to him about an item on the shelf… only to turn and see he’s vanished! How does someone vanish on a cart at 2mph? Once he made it all the way to the back of the store before I found him. :oops:

Just watching tv tonight, another bowl game.

Changed the strings on my guitar this morning. 5 of them died a natural death, worn out after a month. One went wonky about 4 days ago, sounded horrible. The reason I mention it… a bad string is pretty rare. Been years since the last one and it's something you usually notice right away. This one developed bad harmonics over several weeks, odd. The note was true but the harmonics were flat. I’ve never seen one fail like this before. Maybe they changed the manufacturing process?

Anyway, took dad to town this afternoon, grocery shopping and errands. My dad is an escape artist with an electric handicap shopping cart. Twice today I was literally talking to him about an item on the shelf… only to turn and see he’s vanished! How does someone vanish on a cart at 2mph? Once he made it all the way to the back of the store before I found him. :oops:

Just watching tv tonight, another bowl game.
Was it one of the new kind of strings or did you get to put those on today? Asking because aren’t they supposed to last longer?

Was it one of the new kind of strings or did you get to put those on today? Asking because aren’t they supposed to last longer?
No, still playing the old reliable phosbronze, or at least they used to be. Like everything else... probably metals from china.

The new kind last longer but they are 'light gauge'. Won't give me the same sound as the mediums which give bright/clear bass notes that i like. Just personal preference.

Latest posts

Back