What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why this thread is so hard for me to keep up with! I know I have missed lots of posts over the years. I know this is not the rant section, but, ugh! I need to make it my first thread to look at whenever I get on.

Busy, busy day. Got up and got ready to be gone for 5 days for housesitting. Drove to feed Chester the cat, went to house I'm housesitting at until late Monday, drove to get Z and take him to the dog park then home again, back to housesitting house, walked and fed W, back to housesitting house, took N and B to dog park, back to housesitting house, went to feed Chester, back to housesitting house. Made myself a cup of chai but couldn't keep my eyes open. Took a nap, so did the dogs. I was conked out. It was a longer nap than I meant to take, but I must have needed it.

Been up since 3:30🤔🙄! No day off today, cleaning for my friend who lost her mom last week. The service is tomorrow and some family will be at the house afterwards. Having a clean house will be one less thing to worry about! Making a fast Walmart run when I am done. A little cooler today, only 70°, so I will get some outside things done and spend some quality time with the critters!

Little granddaughter and I buried Chookie this afternoon.
I'm sorry about Chookie!
A little cooler today, only 70°,
We are supposed to be at 75 today.

I'll walk in a few minutes.
Pick up my friend and go to Salvage grocery about 15 miles South and then a quick doc appt.
Have lunch at a local diner while we are in the area.
I need to clean baths at Church and sweep floors, maybe pick up trash by road.

No driving any of the girls to either school today. There's an amish wedding going on in the neighboring town, so both schools are closed. Not sure what I'll do today....extra roosters need to be caught, and put in the milkhouse so I can butcher them. I like to keep two of the best in the bigger runs, and I know there's more, and with the good weather, they like to fight if there's too many. Or I need to start seedlings. Have not done that yet. It should be nice this afternoon, but our nighttime temps are still cold, it's 34 out now, so seedlings need to stay in. Also need to clean out husband's office. Started it, but not finished. Can't do it while he's in there, so I have to catch him napping in the bedding or front room first. Tonight's supper is a fundraiser at the Mennonite Hall down the road from us, so we'll be going. Hoping husband can get showered today and want to go for that. I'll bring him in the wheelchair. It's liverwurst and fried mush supper. Tomato or cream gravy.

raining today , not cold but the sheep will stay in since we don't want any lambs born out in the rain and get sick
so far no more lambs
supposed to stop later so they might go out some
going to cook a proper meal today after my 3 day crash diet
was going to clean but no point in this weather, the dogs will come in with muddy paws

Little granddaughter and I buried Chookie this afternoon. He gave it up around noontime today. Poor old pup. I lost track of how old he was, but at least 15 yrs old. She's working on hand carving a wooden headstone with his name on it.
Parent teacher conference this afternoon, post office, finished a super clean on our bedroom, dropped off two bags at the thrift store.
so sorry about your dog, they don't live long enough

Our old Milo dog died last year. He ate everything all the time. As a pup, he ate pieces of a tree and ended up at the vets for a few days. He died last year...ate some poison mushrooms on the farm. I always kick them over when I see them, but he found some I didn't. Seized and died a few hrs later. It was sad. He was about 8 yrs old.

Made it back home safe. Was a good trip but feel a little disconnected, it's amazing how much stuff you miss when you go off line. Got to meet some great people and really enjoyed the change in pace. Now that I'm home there is lots to catch up on here.

One of the guys I met with on the trip got sick on the 3 day of meetings, he had flown across country on Sunday and must have picked up something on the plane, now I'm having to wear a mask and avoid the wife until I can be sure I didn't bring home any extra's.

Just did little odd jobs around here today. Put the snowblower in the barn. I doubt if we'll get enough snow the rest of this winter to need it.
Yesterday we took our Thai friend for a drive around the area, 450 miles round trip. She was pretty impressed with the scenery. She loved the mountains, canyons and rivers in our part of the state. Her and the wife are out wading through the snow on a hike. If they get back early enough we'll do some shooting off the front porch. She said that she'd like to shoot the 500 S&W magnum. We'll see how that works out.

I think the effects of the head bonk ,to my head are subsiding, neck and shoulders are a bit pesky , Don't put heavy steel "sculptures" on top of cabinets would be a good plan.

Today I made sloppy joes, a lasagna and beef stroganoff for my son and DIL. They are eating sloppy joes tonight and freezing the other two for the future. Tonight my older grandson is staying at the hotel with us because he wants to swim in the pool. Tomorrow we fly back to Oklahoma. We’ve had a WONDERFUL week. Because we wanted to give the new parents some space, I was able to meet with a lot of friends and former co-workers I haven’t seen in a while. I was able to hit a lot of my favorite restaurants.

Licking a previous contractor’s calf, drained a huge pond and going to start lining it with clay to try and fix all of the leaks.

IMG_2369.jpeg
IMG_2371.jpeg

A good day! Sun is shining but still chilly out. Got the floors cleaned so I could lay out my next quilt and get it on the frame. I’ll post a picture in the quilting thread. Also got pepper and tomato seeds planted so that begins. Now sitting. Might take Hubby fishing tomorrow.

Glad you made it back home in one piece Urban.
We finished up the testing this morning. All went well and me and my guys learned a ton this week. When I got back to the shop my boss and new Division Director were there and started asking questions about our progress with the BDA's. Thankfully I was able to give them a good report. I'll get the report on this weeks work next week on the final design. But I expect it to be much easier than I first expected.
Got home early and took a load to the dump.

I just got back from Kansas City. My GF and I went down to a concert at The Truman, down by the Crossroads district. My best friend and his wife joined us, and it was a great time. I took a few pics but my phone just doesn't work well in that lighting. The concert was fantastic.
20240222_214806.jpg

Nice day, no outside distractions so i got a lot done. Still took my time getting ready to play tomorrow at the college. Got my guitar ready last night, clean and shiny, new strings. Got the case ready today, all electronic devices charged up, along with my phone. Clothes ready too, even ironed a shirt, cooler ready to be loaded. Oh, had time to enjoy the new strings this afternoon, played a couple hours.

$10K in prize money up for grabs in the contests tomorrow, fiddling, banjo, guitar and mandolin. Thought I’d get there about 10am. The little kids will be on stage first, around 9. Not my kids, I don’t want to listen to them play! 🤣 Kidding, even the little kids play well enough to enter a competition. Of course the older kids play better but the teenagers are real good. That age group usually has semi-professionals in it.

I’m too old for the contests, I’ll be picking in the back rooms. That’s where the best picking is anyway! I’m sure I’ll see old friends, always do at these events. We’ll sit and play a few songs. And it’s a good place to listen to the kids, they’ll be in the back rehearsing before going on stage, a 2fer! :)

I was asleep early last night and slept great waking up fully rested at 10:00pm. I knew I wouldn't fall back to sleep any time soon and I would be waking up at 1am to put her suitcases in the car for her work trip, so I watched YouTube for a few hours and now I am on the computer until she leaves and maybe I will get another nap.
I am leaving about 4am or 5am to drive to Wyoming to pick up our beef from the butcher. Unfortunately the weather is not cooperating, it will be clear skies and pleasant everywhere between southern Utah and southwest Wyoming. I was hoping for at least a good rain or even snow. Heck, I would have been OK with heavy snow since I have new mud/snow tires on the truck and 2 sets of tire chains, but NOOOOO, I can never catch and break.

I ordered many more heat transfers for T-shirts from the company I found several days ago. My second order. After the first order the owner of the company called me to talk about my business and my plans and explain what his business has to offer me. And, since my first order was rather large he bumped me up a few steps into the better pricing and I will get that price (large quantity order) even if I only place an order for a few items. Plus he offer some free product with this next order on top of the better pricing. It was a great 45 minute talk, the gentleman was very friendly and helpful and he has a good sense of humor.
I am really hoping these 30+ new colorful prints are a game changer for my farmers market efforts.
Here are some of the prints I ordered. Sorry, some are white with no background and only show with a very light grey background in the image so they are difficult to see. But, when I click on them they show up with a background and are easy to see.

Attachments

• Against All Enemies.png
    Against All Enemies.png
    38 KB · Views: 0
  • DD214 Veteran.png
    DD214 Veteran.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Dry Heat.png
    Dry Heat.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Hooligan Speed Shop.png
    Hooligan Speed Shop.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Merica Foist.png
    Merica Foist.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Steamboat Willy bottle label.png
    Steamboat Willy bottle label.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Steamboat Willy classic romance.png
    Steamboat Willy classic romance.png
    71 KB · Views: 0
  • Yes Im Cute OK to look.png
    Yes Im Cute OK to look.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
got to start early supposed to rain and snow, so everyone stays in but I want to clean first
cleaning today might or might not have some company tomorrow for lunch
bad dog ran off already. He whined and I thought he really needed to go and I wasn't dressed yet,
so I let him out and he just ran off

edit : dog came back and ate his bowl of food and the other dogs....

Last edited:
Nice day, no outside distractions so i got a lot done. Still took my time getting ready to play tomorrow at the college. Got my guitar ready last night, clean and shiny, new strings. Got the case ready today, all electronic devices charged up, along with my phone. Clothes ready too, even ironed a shirt, cooler ready to be loaded. Oh, had time to enjoy the new strings this afternoon, played a couple hours.

$10K in prize money up for grabs in the contests tomorrow, fiddling, banjo, guitar and mandolin. Thought I’d get there about 10am. The little kids will be on stage first, around 9. Not my kids, I don’t want to listen to them play! 🤣 Kidding, even the little kids play well enough to enter a competition. Of course the older kids play better but the teenagers are real good. That age group usually has semi-professionals in it.

I’m too old for the contests, I’ll be picking in the back rooms. That’s where the best picking is anyway! I’m sure I’ll see old friends, always do at these events. We’ll sit and play a few songs. And it’s a good place to listen to the kids, they’ll be in the back rehearsing before going on stage, a 2fer! :)
Looking forward to pictures 😃

Yay, I am off today!! My to do list was soooo long that I made a must do list!! Been up since 4am, washed the dog and cat blankets. Put some laundry away (finally)! Fed Bear and the cats at 5:30 (their regular time), and will feed Buddy shortly! Hubby has a big yard clean up job, will make breakfast for him soon too! Chilly outside now, but heading for 78°, will get my inside stuff done first! Hope everyone has a great day!

Only things on my agenda are Lowe’s for large containers for the potted peach trees I have coming from Stark Bros, seed start mix, seeds and miscellaneous bits and bobs that Dad needs. Food shopping at Lidl. Then puttering around at home.

Seeing how husband is feeling before I get into a big project. He didn't make it to the liverwurst dinner last night. Hopefully not ending up in ER this weekend. We will see. So if I am home today, I might be butchering a bunch of roosters, seed starting, or cleaning out his office. But it'll be one of those. Or two of those.

Back