What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had project like that when I was working. One didn't compact the dirt around the drainage pipe right and made the slopes too steep and the whole thing eroded so bad part of the road above caved in, and it really fast became an "emergency project"
The previous contractor did a terrible job! I drained it and lined the entire pond with a couple foot of clay. It was loosing 2 foot of water everyday. I’m sure we have helped that problem time will tell though.

IMG_2451.jpeg

Resting the shoulder has limited my activities but I am feeling improvement. That is good. Finding task that don't require two arms is the hard part.

The Princess asked me to handle a voicemail she got. Rhe local water company is replacing all lead and galvanized lines. An inspector was trying to set up an appointment to check our rental property water supply line. So I ask him about a nearby address if it is on his list. Yup. Turns out all of the four buildings we own in the township were on the list.

Rather than stretch out the pain I took him on a tour of water meters. All were copper which was a load off my mind. He is a retired Material Science Engineer and me being Engineering Physics type we had a good time. He liked the Hobbit hole remodel project, the rental property, and the hand dug basement. He got 4 inspections completed in an hour. Good numbers for him. Four distractions cleared for me.

On the way home I indulged The Princess with a surprise.

20240229_213145_HDR.jpg

The Princess detected a hint before getting to the kitchen. I got some bonus kisses and a hug.

Ben

Resting the shoulder has limited my activities but I am feeling improvement. That is good. Finding task that don't require two arms is the hard part.

The Princess asked me to handle a voicemail she got. Rhe local water company is replacing all lead and galvanized lines. An inspector was trying to set up an appointment to check our rental property water supply line. So I ask him about a nearby address if it is on his list. Yup. Turns out all of the four buildings we own in the township were on the list.

Rather than stretch out the pain I took him on a tour of water meters. All were copper which was a load off my mind. He is a retired Material Science Engineer and me being Engineering Physics type we had a good time. He liked the Hobbit hole remodel project, the rental property, and the hand dug basement. He got 4 inspections completed in an hour. Good numbers for him. Four distractions cleared for me.

On the way home I indulged The Princess with a surprise.

View attachment 125339

The Princess detected a hint before getting to the kitchen. I got some bonus kisses and a hug.

Ben
GREAT JOB! Very beautiful Ben!!

Finally getting a little energy back, the festival wiped me out. Was able to get chores done but little else. Brain wasn't working, forgot about a pack of chicken i was going to vacum seal and freeze. Found it hiding on the bottom shelf behind... :( Then tonight, my blueray/dvd player died, carp. Was putting a big internet order together already, shopped a bit, found one I liked and added it to the list.

A carburetor I’d ordered came in the mail, guess I have to put it on now. I took the deck off a riding mower for dad, he gathers eggs, gets the mail. He really likes it, has a little trailer and fits between 36" rows in the garden. Carb on the engine went bad, new one was a cheap so...

garden 13apr21 tators jalapeno (2) am.JPG

I got up early to load up my portable tablesaw to take over to my friend's house so he could use it to cut lumber for an entertainment center he was building. big waste of space but he likes it and it makes him happy. Dropped the tablesaw on my left foot twice. Two trips to hardware store. Two trips to Walmart. One trip to post office. One trip back home to grab my air compressor and brad nailer. Helped friend by holding stuff, handing him stuff, etc. Then I painted the walls around the entertainment center. Painted a little over half of the hallway before I needed a break. Did some cutting in on some other spots but need to do another coat. Friend called it a night. Got home and cooked for Mom. Currently resting. Friend's fiance cooked some soup and let me have 2 bowls of it. I could have consumed an entire bucket of that soup. LOL.

Will be going over tomorrow to finish painting. but probably after noon. My body hates me right now. But I feel good about having accomplished something and I burned a lot of calories.

The previous contractor did a terrible job! I drained it and lined the entire pond with a couple foot of clay. It was loosing 2 foot of water everyday. I’m sure we have helped that problem time will tell though.
that's funny how different areas deal with this sort of thing. In Florida, we just had to do everything we could to get rid of water. So clay in the bottom of a drainage pond would have been very bad design ( type D soil) . Always had to try and put the pond in an area where the groundwater was not a foot from the surface and sandy soil underneath so it would drain

husband just went to feed the lamb, she is still alive but didn't eat much. I am wondering if she is sneaking some milk from mom and "double dipping" . We had one like that last year. But the ewe will not have enough milk for 4
no new ones arrived overnight

today animal care and clean. Daughter was supposed to come tomorrow but she is still waiting on parts for her truck. Oh well, nothing I can do about it. I hate vehicle problems

Not a whole lot going on here today, but I'm sure I'll fill my day. Getting the girls to school, regular morning chores till lunch. I'll have time this afternoon for a project, we'll see what I get to. Tonight is the dinner and auction for the amish school, helps them pay their bills for the schoolyear. The food will be great, am looking forward to it.

Yesterday was a busy day. Monthly stock up at stores with my friend. Paid bills. Walked. Bible study.

It's raining, this morning. Will walk later.
Walk dogs.
Change DH's shower curtain.
A friend was given about 10 or so #10 cans of veggies that recently went out of date (best by date). I am getting them to re-can in pints at a later time. Best by dates don't scare me.
Clean baths- maybe.
Dust house- yes.
Slice carrots for dog treats.

@Hooch must be working. Haven’t heard from her for a couple days. Hope she’s getting to and fro safely.
Yes..it has been a crazy busy week. Monday started out getting up at 0330 , get to work early and I dont feel like I've stopped..lol..
Gotta catch up tonight.
I took today off ..thankfully scheduled this day off a few weeks ago with work so I can get stuff done.

No sleep last night… fell asleep in my recliner after lunch yesterday, not unusual. Woke up at 4pm, that was unusual. Couldn’t sleep last night, still awake at 3. Then…

At 4am I had an amazing lightning show, dog woke me up so I could see it… nice of him. :rolleyes: He’s never responded to lightning before but this wasn’t normal lightning. It was continuous cloud to cloud, thunder booms last 10-12 seconds! The show went on for 20min, was wide awake by then.

Finally got to sleep around 5, dog woke me a couple more times for more lightning. Got up at 8 with the alarm. Not going to get much done today, I can tell. 🤣

I feel ya on the trash chasing. I had 5 cans of recycling material (glass, plastic) out last night. At 12:30 I was walking all over my neighbors' yards picking it up. When I was done I had only 4 barrels full. Don't know how far the wind took the rest.
When it is windy in Colorado and stuff is flying, I always say it is Texas bound. I don't really know, but it is crazy when stuff blows like that. Spring winds can be crazy. Boulder, Colorado has special guidelines for signs so that they don't blow off and hurt someone or something when the spring gusts are blowing.

Last edited:
This is the kind of brain I live with... I had a cool dream last night...
The company that made the equipment that I worked on for decades, decided to branch out and make "Urban-ready" vehicles for consumers.
They were equipped with AI-controlled anti-protester&vandalism systems.
The AI worked the rubber-bullet machine gun and the high-voltage static-electric 2' long spark.
It could tell the difference between an adult with a baseball bat or paint can, and a little kid following their bouncing ball over to it and bumping their head on it.
It would yell a warning at the bad guy with a big speaker before blasting them with rubber bullets and charging up :oops:.
The company had tracked me down to help finish off the development and help make the advertisements to sell them.
I went where they were filming an ad for it and what were they filming?
How as the car backed into a parking slot, the AI could edit out a guy with his pants down, mooning the driver in the backup camera display and mirrors as they backed ingaah.
I guess that was for the California market.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
We have a couple of calves on the farm again. Seems some of the un-bred heifers my cousin brought over weren't very un-bred. 🤣 He runs 300 head, hard to keep up with all the details. Only keeps 25 - 30 heifers here, gives them time to grow a bit before breeding. At least that was the plan... 😁

It was windy and stormy this morning. Had to run to Wmart. Home and things put away. It cleared up and was sunny so I went out and cleaned out 2 of the garden beds and pruned up the thyme. Then the sky grew dark and pellets of water were hurled at me from the sky and the wind push me back indoors 😂. Well seeing my summer kitchen pix and what the real life version looked like 🫣 I decided to get some things cleaned up out there. I found another big tub of beans 🫘 to clean 😖. That’s not my favorite chore. Started in on them but didn’t get finished. It is looking a little better. Could spend a little more time out there though.

The baby goats are so adorable!

I cooked for Mom, did some laundry for her, went over to friend's house to do more painting, got mail, had the lock on my post office box break off and had to bring the lock up to the clerk and tell her it just popped out. She said she'd fix it before she left for the day. Gave a visiting friend shiatsu massage on his back, got McDonalds for Mom, and headed home. Just attempted to bedazzle a mask for the wedding tomorrow but am not sure it is going to work. Used E6000 adhesive bc I saw it used in some videos but it doesn't seem to hold quickly. Just read it may take 2 to 4 hours to grab. So I have some masking tape holding it on. I did a thing where I made a template and laid out all of the plastic rhinestone thingies, then I pieced together strips of masking tape to be large enough to grab all of them at once and keep them in that pattern. Put adhesive on them and then folded the tape over the mask and am hoping it will hold. I used some thin tracing paper to mark the locations of the rhinestones on the tape and then flipped it over so I could do a mirror image for the other side. It is probably not even, but I don't care.

I'm about to go add some more to my shoes because I'm bored and can't seem to get to sleep yet.

Fell asleep early in a chair, woke up at 02:00 with a headache and can't go back to sleep... Trying to catch up on everything here, the new lambs are so cute, I'll bet it's hard not to make them pets....

Sunday will be a range day, so I may start setting out supplies for that.

Update: My BP was high, almost fell asleep at 04:00 but the wife woke up and raised heck because her glucose monitor alarm was going off (no signal)... dealt with that, got dressed and getting ready to run errands. I guess I can go be grumpy in public...

Last edited:
only on here for a sec had to get up to feed the lambs. The latest mom decided she now didn't want to feed 2 of hers anymore , so we are making her feed them ( holding her so they can nurse) plus giving a little bit of bottle. She has enough milk to feed 3, stupid sheep. The goats never do that. They will try to feed 6 if they have that many. In 8 years of doing this, we have at least one sheep that pushes a baby away every year, and never a goat.
Just in here checking weather and having coffee , husband is taking some extra animals to the auction truck today. They usually sell well in spring

daughter was supposed to come today but she still hasn't fixed the truck , waiting on parts she ordered from GM since the ?? that used to be available everywhere, it's just a waterpump)

Latest posts

Back