What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was windy and stormy this morning. Had to run to Wmart. Home and things put away. It cleared up and was sunny so I went out and cleaned out 2 of the garden beds and pruned up the thyme. Then the sky grew dark and pellets of water were hurled at me from the sky and the wind push me back indoors 😂. Well seeing my summer kitchen pix and what the real life version looked like 🫣 I decided to get some things cleaned up out there. I found another big tub of beans 🫘 to clean 😖. That’s not my favorite chore. Started in on them but didn’t get finished. It is looking a little better. Could spend a little more time out there though.
Are you sure that is a bean emoji?? I may have to report your post!🤣🤣🤣

Got husband's office spic and span yesterday, except for his desktop. That's something he'd have to do. I have clean windows and screens and blinds on my long to do list, and got two of them in the front room done completely...four more in that room to do. So today will maybe be that, and going into the bigger town for feed and fill a cart at Aldi. The weather is supposed to be nice today, so this afternoon, I may be outside, too.

Had a friend unexpectedly stop by yesterday, enjoyed a good visit and brainstormed ways to put up a cattle panel greenhouse at her place.
Trying to get motivated to get at my chores, didn't sleep well last night and am dragging my tailfeathers this morning. I need to going and make sure things are cleaned up and out of the way, the new woodstove is scheduled to be delivered and installed Monday morning.
Made a fb marketplace purchase this week, and I'm pretty happy with it. Picked up a heavy duty homemade log splitter for $500. Took Brother to look at it with me, and we were both stoked to discover it had an electric start! That wasn't even advertised. The farmer that built it used to start it with a jump pack, but we're going to install a battery and starter circuit. The farmer passed a few years ago and his son was selling it because his wife didn't want a woodstove in the house. He got quite a laugh out of the fact that I brought along a log from my woodpile to test it out. A little cleaning and lubrication and it should be good to go; the hoses show some age but I don't think I need to replace them right away. Another piece of the homestead puzzle put into place.
1709391171334.jpeg

Just finished washing the outside of 14 quarts of corned beef dinners I canned up late yesterday. Had a rip roaring thunderstorm at 5 this morning and the hail is still all over because it’s below freezing now. We need to help the folks get the cover back on their travel trailer, the wind this week has blown it off. Gotta drink some coffee still.

Had a friend unexpectedly stop by yesterday, enjoyed a good visit and brainstormed ways to put up a cattle panel greenhouse at her place.
Trying to get motivated to get at my chores, didn't sleep well last night and am dragging my tailfeathers this morning. I need to going and make sure things are cleaned up and out of the way, the new woodstove is scheduled to be delivered and installed Monday morning.
Made a fb marketplace purchase this week, and I'm pretty happy with it. Picked up a heavy duty homemade log splitter for $500. Took Brother to look at it with me, and we were both stoked to discover it had an electric start! That wasn't even advertised. The farmer that built it used to start it with a jump pack, but we're going to install a battery and starter circuit. The farmer passed a few years ago and his son was selling it because his wife didn't want a woodstove in the house. He got quite a laugh out of the fact that I brought along a log from my woodpile to test it out. A little cleaning and lubrication and it should be good to go; the hoses show some age but I don't think I need to replace them right away. Another piece of the homestead puzzle put into place.
View attachment 125399
Wow you got a deal, well built as it is. I do see a bit of a scary potential problem, the tee fitting under the pressure guage is thin wall "gas pipe, the Tee , close nipple and probably the bushing between the guage and tee should be replaced with a Hydraulic tee, nipple and bushing . it shouldn't cost more than $10.00 and could prevent a potential accident from high pressure oil spray when the tee fails

Finally coaxed some folks out of bed with a batch of scones. The oldest made me labels for the canned goods. He is our official labeled of the food. When he heads out for his new job in May and is only home on weekends, I’ll have to put sticky notes on the various items so he can get me hooked up. I keep trying to get the younger kid to take over, but he is color blind and lacks flair in his label making!
IMG_3071.jpeg

Well, we swapped our flight from Vegas to Dallas from this morning to tomorrow morning due to the high winds and delays experienced in Vegas. I checked just now and the flight this morning left on time. Oh well, but at least mf GF will be home tonight to send her youngest daughter off to prom. We had scheduled our trip 2 days before the school announced the date of the prom.
Today, relaxing a bit, a quick trip to town, and avoiding all the lady folk in the house who will be talking about prom and other goofy girl stuff.
That reminds me, I need to have a quick chat with a certain young man about the facts of life.
"These are facts and if you value your life you will abide by them." :ghostly: :archery:

View attachment 125399
That's awesome! I plan on getting one soon. I thought about looking to find a used one but ..it seems they are few n far between around here.
Then I thought maybe it's better to splurge on a new one. I like using my stove and I'd like to get a good amount stocked up.
My neighbor always let's me borrow theirs in exchange for watching their place when they are gone. As much as I appreciate the use, Its time i get my own.
So instead of getting a new utility trailer, I will find a used one of those and a new log splitter for me!

Yesterday was interesting.
Took it off to get stuff done.
More n more I really dislike driving down to Ontario Oregon. It seems it doesnt matter what day it is anymore..it is always so traffic congested getting around there.
Plus, people on the highway drive like lunatics. The speed limit waffles between 55 n 65 ..but if your not pushing 70 -75..folks start getting aggressive on your bumper ..everyone is passing.
I really really dislike tailgaters..
It was raining a bit..roads are wet so I'm crusing at 60. For the first 40 minutes going down, not much traffic..no one behind me. Up north on this highway yesterday am, the highway closed due to a slide. It opens up and everyone musta been trying to make up time ..flying down the highway.
Well..about 20 or so vehicles catch up to me. I see a string of them in the rearview flying . I thought..welp..road must be open. So..I'm thinking 60ish mph on a wet road is good. I'm not one to get pressured into speeding up for jerks..so every chance someone got..about 15 vehicles pass.
One *$$'ol I saw decided to pass about 5 cars at once..right when mr big white truck pulling a toy hauler decides to pass me as the car is passing him. So little silver car almost got pushed into the northbound ditch , big white truck almost rear ends / sideswiped me getting back into the southbound lane behind me..thankfully he didnt ..I'm still going 60...silver car passes white truck and me and the car behind white truck almost rear ends white truck.
Youd think that stop the rest of the cars from passing..
Nope..
Only about 10 cars left at this point ..the last 3 in that string didnt pass n they drove normal.
I take the back road to onterio..easy going thankfully untill I get into that town..then it bumper to bumper.
Picked up a few items..I havent been down since last oct or nov. Got my taxes done and will get enough back for a nice log splitter. So I wont have to dip into my stash.
I wanted to make other stops but that meant getting into crazy traffic again. I was done with that n still had to drive home a hour n half.
So..stopped in weiser at bimart n the drive home was nice. No crazy drivers.
Home unloaded, walked dogs for awhile ..hung out with turkeys till dark n went inside.
Just sat down n a truck drives by.
I'm on a dead end road. The end house folks are gone, the inbetween house folks , I havent seen anyone there since the deep freeze we got in Jan.
They are the new and..I have concerns something isnt right there.
So..I think..ok..maybe they came back or someone is lost. Truck goes up to new folks house..and I see flashlights running around.
Dang..not what i really thought..but..
I try calling my neighbors but have to resort to text cuz calling keeps cutting out. They aren't home but say call the cops.
I remind them I wont n why. New people I already have concerns about. That's another story.
So I get in my truck with shotty n friends n wait n watch.
My other neighbors come home n drive up the road to the end to see if they can see anything.
By then I hadent seen anything for awhile. My neighbor to that house calls n the other neighbor is calling her saying someone went up by her house n is now at mine, so he is heading over to see what up.
It started storming too..
Fun day..
Today I'm going to walk the dogs n put stuff away.

Yesterday was interesting.
Took it off to get stuff done.
More n more I really dislike driving down to Ontario Oregon. It seems it doesnt matter what day it is anymore..it is always so traffic congested getting around there.
Plus, people on the highway drive like lunatics. The speed limit waffles between 55 n 65 ..but if your not pushing 70 -75..folks start getting aggressive on your bumper ..everyone is passing.
I really really dislike tailgaters..
It was raining a bit..roads are wet so I'm crusing at 60. For the first 40 minutes going down, not much traffic..no one behind me. Up north on this highway yesterday am, the highway closed due to a slide. It opens up and everyone musta been trying to make up time ..flying down the highway.
Well..about 20 or so vehicles catch up to me. I see a string of them in the rearview flying . I thought..welp..road must be open. So..I'm thinking 60ish mph on a wet road is good. I'm not one to get pressured into speeding up for jerks..so every chance someone got..about 15 vehicles pass.
One *$$'ol I saw decided to pass about 5 cars at once..right when mr big white truck pulling a toy hauler decides to pass me as the car is passing him. So little silver car almost got pushed into the northbound ditch , big white truck almost rear ends / sideswiped me getting back into the southbound lane behind me..thankfully he didnt ..I'm still going 60...silver car passes white truck and me and the car behind white truck almost rear ends white truck.
Youd think that stop the rest of the cars from passing..
Nope..
Only about 10 cars left at this point ..the last 3 in that string didnt pass n they drove normal.
I take the back road to onterio..easy going thankfully untill I get into that town..then it bumper to bumper.
Picked up a few items..I havent been down since last oct or nov. Got my taxes done and will get enough back for a nice log splitter. So I wont have to dip into my stash.
I wanted to make other stops but that meant getting into crazy traffic again. I was done with that n still had to drive home a hour n half.
So..stopped in weiser at bimart n the drive home was nice. No crazy drivers.
Home unloaded, walked dogs for awhile ..hung out with turkeys till dark n went inside.
Just sat down n a truck drives by.
I'm on a dead end road. The end house folks are gone, the inbetween house folks , I havent seen anyone there since the deep freeze we got in Jan.
They are the new and..I have concerns something isnt right there.
So..I think..ok..maybe they came back or someone is lost. Truck goes up to new folks house..and I see flashlights running around.
Dang..not what i really thought..but..
I try calling my neighbors but have to resort to text cuz calling keeps cutting out. They aren't home but say call the cops.
I remind them I wont n why. New people I already have concerns about. That's another story.
So I get in my truck with shotty n friends n wait n watch.
My other neighbors come home n drive up the road to the end to see if they can see anything.
By then I hadent seen anything for awhile. My neighbor to that house calls n the other neighbor is calling her saying someone went up by her house n is now at mine, so he is heading over to see what up.
It started storming too..
Fun day..
Today I'm going to walk the dogs n put stuff away.
We dropped off a steer at the butcher in Ontario a couple weeks ago and nearly ran over multiple cars doing stupid things like you describe. The roads there in town are so narrow and the traffic control is awful. We have had a serious uptick in jacka$$ people stealing stuff. Had a flatbed trailer swiped earlier this week just down the road. I’m over the population explosion we are experiencing!

Last edited:
We dropped off a steer at the butcher in Ontario a couple weeks ago and nearly ran over multiple cars doing stupid things like you describe. The roads there in town are so narrow and the traffic control is awful. We have had a serious uptick in jacka$$ people stealing stuff. Had a flatbed trailer swiped earlier this week just down the road. I’m over the population explosion we are experiencing!
I get it.
I used to not mind going to onterio. Kinda enjoyed it occasionally..last few times havent been good...way to many people and I think folks get driving nutty fast because they can go 80 on I-84. I've never liked going down towards boise..
Also fewer cops on the rural roads n highways. Folks going up 95 back n forth to mccall from boise get seriously stupid.
When I go down again to get my log splitter I'll be in my truck at least.

We drove home from the airport yesterday. A little rain until about 15 miles from home, then snow. We had about 6" of snow on the road. Last night we got another 8" of snow. And its snowing again. We need all the moisture we can get. A few days ago I pulled out 10 boxes of 22-250 ammo that I planed on giving away. Now I can't find it. Dang, it's gotta be here somewhere. I guess I'll just sit back with a cold drink and a cigar by the wood stove until I can remember what I did with it. It's up to 35 degs here in the fur shed right now.

I get it.
I used to not mind going to onterio. Kinda enjoyed it occasionally..last few times havent been good...way to many people and I think folks get driving nutty fast because they can go 80 on I-84. I've never liked going down towards boise..
Also fewer cops on the rural roads n highways. Folks going up 95 back n forth to mccall from boise get seriously stupid.
When I go down again to get my log splitter I'll be in my truck at least.
Most people from Boise take 55 to McCall. But I agree, I hate seeing 1A plates around here. I always drive whatever speed that I feel comfortable with. It could be 50 or 95. I don't know what the issue is about 95, there are plenty of passing lanes. I've never had any problem driving to Ontario or Boise. Now that my wife isn't commuting to Alaska every 3 weeks, I avoid Boise like the plague.

Up early and walked, this morning.
Went to a small Birthday party at 9 this morning for the fellow that I used to help, who owns a little convenience store.
Came home and walked dogs.
Unloaded the big cans in the back of car.
Did month ending books for ebay.
Still haven't changed DH's shower curtain. Maybe today

Little granddaughter and I were at Atwoods getting lots of feed, and they had chicks. Had guinea keets...$7.99 each for standard color. I got multicolors last fall at the fowl sale for $3 a piece. Didn't buy any chicks, though, I have a full incubator due on the 12th. 600 lbs of feed bought and we already unloaded. Levi came to help. He had been helping our amish neighbor scoop horse poop out of our open barn area. They used it to hitch up when they had church and ran out of room. We went to Aldi and filled a cart, got that put away. Coming home, we saw 4 tractor and trailer loads of round bales going to the meet up that's going to take it all to the panhandle. That was good to see. Our next door farm neighbor donated 6. Turned out to be a pretty day. Except the wind is blowing a bit just right, and a field a few miles out is spraying with something fishy smelling on the winter wheat. That's kind of disgusting.

We are on season episode 8

Ben
It airs every Saturday at 10AM on a local channel, affiliated with MeTV. Today was season 4, ep 4.

0/18/1968, Season 4 / Episode 4 , Western, Drama, Sci-fi, Action, Thriller
When a friend goes missing, Secret Service agents Jim West and Artemus Gordon go looking for him, only to stumble upon a family suffering from a premature aging condition and a physician, who will stop at nothing to find a cure for them.

It airs every Saturday at 10AM on a local channel, affiliated with MeTV. Today was season 4, ep 4.

0/18/1968, Season 4 / Episode 4 , Western, Drama, Sci-fi, Action, Thriller
When a friend goes missing, Secret Service agents Jim West and Artemus Gordon go looking for him, only to stumble upon a family suffering from a premature aging condition and a physician, who will stop at nothing to find a cure for them.
It it available on Prime so we can watch when have time.

Ben

Yeah my knee is buggered. Sitting here icing it. I decided to try to make another run. On the chair with Hubby and a nice young fella on a snowboard. When we went to get off the lift, he accidentally kicked his board over under one ski and on the other and I went down 🙄. Haven’t gone down in 2-3 years and today twice 😡. (Once my own fault, one not).

@LadyLocust Hope it heals quickly. Seems like we get hurt when we try to have fun sometimes, eh? I have never been snow skiing but yes on the water skiing!!!
@Hooch no words, just hope everything is okay out there.
@ClemKadiddlehopper good luck with the new position, safe travels!
Hey a person I'm associated with on a fb group who lives in Canada is saying their news is blocked and managed. Is that for real? They say they have no idea what's going on.
I got home from work and watched some looney tunes shorts @dademoss It was that kind of day.

Scratching my head.
37671-huh.gif

About 2 hours ago I noticed 3 power blinks, (ours never blinks :mad:).
It's been just fine since.
No bad weather or winds.
Evidently others near me were not so lucky:
https://news.yahoo.com/news/slemco-customers-experiencing-power-outage-001629430.html
A breaker opening up lead to this outage, according to a SLEMCO representative. Reports started coming in regarding the outage around 5:30 p.m. Saturday.

As of now, more than 11,000 homes are out of power.

Crews are working at this time to restore the power and determine what caused the outage. More updates will be shared when made available.
11,000 may not sound like much, but that's about 25% of us:oops:.

Last edited:
Bible study this morning, then out to start cleaning up from the windstorm earlier this week. Today was cutting out more underbrush than I realized was there. Tomorrow I'll start taking out 2 or 3 of the trees that broke off. Hoping to hook a chain around them and drag them out with the tractor. Then cut them up and stack for firewood. Then more brush and dead trees to cut out. At the end of it all I'll be able to mow around the blueberries and a pine trees once all this is done.
Got to tired to safely run the saw and stopped for the afternoon about 5, and parked it on the porch and enjoyed a stoogie. Tonight a glass of Brandy and an early night to bed.

Last edited:
Iron when I'm not so tired I can't think I'm going to ask you about your advice - remind me!
Exhausted and hurting, spent the afternoon trying to cut back one of the overgrown apple trees here on the new homestead. I've never done that before so I hope I didn't butcher the poor tree too badly. Cut a lot of the straight up branches the book calls water sprouts; some of them were 15' long or more. Cut out dead stuff and stuff that was crossing; there's more to do but I just couldn't lift my arms anymore. My one shoulder has really become a limiting factor as I age. The tree does look a lot better.
But I feel a sense of accomplishment, I've been looking out the window at the tree all winter and thinking I need to get at that! So I finally did. Had the helpers here today, they pulled out the barbed wire fence that the previous owner had put up to try to keep the deer out of his garden. It was unsightly and the deer walked through it like it wasn't even there anyways. Except for when I step outside, they see me and panic and take off running right into it. The other day a doe got herself so badly caught I was afraid I'd have to deal with her, but she finally ripped free. So I'm glad that won't be happening anymore. I invested in a post puller, boy, did that work great! The young guys are into lifting weights and like to pull the posts by main force, but they would bend them, so I had to put a stop to that. It saved time, too, there were a lot of posts to pull.

Back