What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our nighttime temps are still low, so have the chick brooders in the house. 20 chicks in the dining room at the moment. I clean them twice a day so they're not stinky, but can't wait to graduate them to the milkhouse. Babies and bad weather is a bummer.
we don't have any chicks yet but when we do we have an extra building we put them in with a heat lamp. But I have had baby lambs and goat kids in the house before lots of times too. The heat lamps create the largest electric bill we get each year. Huge spike, electric use like doubles, so I told husband this year we will wait a little longer to get chicks

There is a sedative they can give him, clip his nails then give him a reversal. I don’t know what they charge for that these days but it didn’t used to be bad.
Or can you take him for runs on pavement?
We gave up with Crosby the Rhodesian ridgeback. We had them done at the vets. It took three people to hold her down so they could do them. They always bled, which means it probably hurt her. But she liked going to the vet because they were great with her and she loved their treats!

Glad to see you have your priorities straight 😉

Woke up at 3am. Coffeed up by 4. Supposed to be my day off but I “get” to work. Have my new tires to take in to have mounted then can get the studs off which will be much quieter. Long to do list.
Oh yeah- radishes are sprouting- direct sewed them outside 😍
I went to a local nursery to buy chocolate flower seeds. They resemble sunflowers but are much smaller. They had all kinds of veggie starts, including radishes. Radishes are the fastest growing vegetable. Someone must buy them or they wouldn’t sell them! I was just so surprised to see them.

I went to a local nursery to buy chocolate flower seeds. They resemble sunflowers but are much smaller. They had all kinds of veggie starts, including radishes. Radishes are the fastest growing vegetable. Someone must buy them or they wouldn’t sell them! I was just so surprised to see them.
Last year I planted a very short row every two weeks. It worked great.

Our nighttime temps are still low, so have the chick brooders in the house. 20 chicks in the dining room at the moment. I clean them twice a day so they're not stinky, but can't wait to graduate them to the milkhouse. Babies and bad weather is a bummer.
Ours left the dining room and have moved to the well house. They will be moving into the chicken house this weekend. Alex got 2 more ducks this year. If I haven’t said it in awhile I HATE ducks!

I don't have ducks right now, left them with someone else when we moved here. Now we have geese. They have a huge run and a shed, otherwise they'd be everywhere and they'd eat the garden, or anything green. So the guinea brigade are my bug eaters, and they're everywhere. Works well.
Chickens are good on bugs too.

Pretty quick
The seeds don’t last for years like some seeds do, but I have always thought that when shtf, we should all grow radishes. The leaves can be eaten and have good nutrition like most greens do. Radishes can be cooked. Cooking them takes away the heat. French eat radishes sautéed in butter for breakfast. You can buy French breakfast radishes.
Some people from one of the dog parks participate in a trivia game night at a bar where one of the guys bartends. They were talking about a question for the fastest growing vegetable that none of them knew the answer to. It was radishes. We used radish seeds in science experiments when I was teaching in because of how fast they grow.

The seeds don’t last for years like some seeds do, but I have always thought that when shtf, we should all grow radishes. The leaves can be eaten and have good nutrition like most greens do. Radishes can be cooked. Cooking them takes away the heat. French eat radishes sautéed in butter for breakfast. You can buy French breakfast radishes.
Some people from one of the dog parks participate in a trivia game night at a bar where one of the guys bartends. They were talking about a question for the fastest growing vegetable that none of them knew the answer to. It was radishes. We used radish seeds in science experiments when I was teaching in because of how fast they grow.
I grew some French ones last year- 4 different kinds if I remember. I don’t care for them cooked but like the little punch in salads or to munch on while I’m in the garden.

I don't have ducks right now, left them with someone else when we moved here. Now we have geese. They have a huge run and a shed, otherwise they'd be everywhere and they'd eat the garden, or anything green. So the guinea brigade are my bug eaters, and they're everywhere. Works well.
Do you save the down? My grandmother grew up with down mattresses and comforters that they called feather beds. They raised geese and they also had wild geese on the lake by their house. Having goose for holidays for meals was very common for them.

I grew some French ones last year- 4 different kinds if I remember. I don’t care for them cooked but like the little punch in salads or to munch on while I’m in the garden.
There are really large radishes that I’ve eaten sautéed in butter. We bought them at an Asian grocery store. I was suprised at how good they were.

@Frodo, I hope everything goes well with the surgeon.
I got my 4 o’clocks and my columbine planted before noon today. Hubby had to help because I just don’t have enough stamina. Now for a shower and getting our taxes done at 5.
Ooh, i love 4 o'clocks! mirabilis jalapa I think is the scientific name. I have mostly pink ones but a few yellow and very few white ones. I know there are other colors that I'd like to get eventually. What color ones did you plant?

Hope everyone is doing well and sorry for not addressing more of the individual posts.

My brother's leg was worse so I took him to urgent care and was sent to the ER. They couldn't squeeze him in at the regular doctor. No tests were run but the ER doctor said it was achilles tendonitis. Prescribed naprosyn, rest, ice, compression, elevation, and recommended a lace up brace. Went to the pharmacy but RX won't be ready until tomorrow. I have some naprosyn I can give him anyway and will refill my RX on it soon. Went to Walmart after and he used a riding cart. We saw the widow of the real estate agent who sold us our house. She used to teach home ec at the high school. Very sweet lady. We didn't encounter any jerks today so that was good. Grabbed some food and headed home. I had to unload the groceries since my brother was having too much trouble walking.

Mom pretty much has her taxes done but needs to figure out how to get the program to recognize the exemption from state stuff on her federal annuity. I'll have to look at it later. Oh, guess what she found in her purse? Her tax forms! All this time she blamed me for them going missing and she had them in her purse all this time! She refused to apologize to me for how she yelled at me and accused me of losing them or throwing them away. I told her if we got the stuff re-sent that the forms would turn up.

I racked out after getting home. Been too hot for me and I keep sweating. I'm about to get more sleep.

Yesterday was my Dr appt
Symptoms still present
So the Dr wants to have another look to sere if the meds have helped or not
His plan is to scope me from both ends
They tried to schedule the test then the process stopped when they asked for co pays. I said nottoday

Tonight is a Bday/retirement party for one of my closest friends. The College/hospital he worked for won;t give him 💩, so I will give him a retirement watch. I suppose I have to shave and cut my hair too :p

no goat kids
2 more cold nights
today more weather like yesterday but we are going to be home so ok. The problem with the cold if they have kids is that they can't dry them off fast enough if there are 3 or 4 so we have to help and make sure all babies nurse very shortly after birth. Then they are usually ok even if its cold. We had one give birth when it was 15 degrees outside and not too much warmer in the barn last year. Everyone made it ok, she had 3

I think today I am going to start cooking more freezer meals for husband when we are gone and for us when I really don't have time to cook. I did make some but son ate them all as snacks LOL
So far everything I made worked ok, except frozen broccoli in some fettucine alfredo didn't heat up well, it was still hard and cold and the rest of the meal was already very hot when reheated in the microwave. Maybe I need to cut them in smaller pieces or just not put any in

almost forgot, update on cutting Otto's nails: I have been giving him treats to let him touch his paws, and sort of cutting 1 nail a day, almost done. He is getting more tolerant on me touching his paws.

I love ducks too.

Especially when they've been grilled and served with a gooseberry conserve.
Peking duck, yumm!
I would like to have some ducks but we don't have a pond
the neighbors ( the ones that put up the gigantic Jurrasic park fencing for their exotic sheep ) have done another weird thing, they put this giant net over their pond and put swans in....

Yesterday was my Dr appt
Symptoms still present
So the Dr wants to have another look to sere if the meds have helped or not
His plan is to scope me from both ends
They tried to schedule the test then the process stopped when they asked for co pays. I said nottoday
hope you feel better and it isn't anything too serious

Coffee tastes especially good this morning . prolly organize my shop more today, and process some wood

Jakes chicken team qualified to go to state competition.

IMG_9192.jpeg

There are really large radishes that I’ve eaten sautéed in butter
I pickled some daikons a year or two ago. Sweet and hot!
Jakes chicken team qualified to go to state competition.
Congratulations!

Already walked.
Have laundry going.
Will walk Aninja in a few minutes.
A friend is taking me to see a couple of dogs that were dumped at her neighbor's.
My friend from Monroe, LA is coming and we are taking a road trip to Gulfport so she (or I) can visit with a golden doodle to see if she is a good fit for her or us. Dog is free but has to get along with my friend's labradoodle or my chihuahua.
Will unload potting soil that I bought yesterday.
A friend cleaned out her pantry and gave me what was a little outdated. I honestly shouldn't have to buy food except almond milk and soda for DH and fruit. It is a real blessing!

Latest posts

Back