What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back from being AWOL our local telecommunications people sent us out a dud wireless modem so we had to get a sim card which they put 30 gig on free for us until they work out what is wrong with it. I think and know it has a faulty sim card so they are sending us out another one of those and giving us a free months internet too which will be good. Apparently the activations team could not activate the sim in the wireless modem.

Anyway here we are out of limbo land.

We are in our new home have sorted out the bedroom so that is liveable, the lounge room you can move in and is set up, the bathrooms are all set up apart from unpacking the rest of the towels and sheets in there. Still need to unpack our food storage but I have set up the kitchen so far with more to go but all the appliances are ready and waiting to be used.

We both love our new home as it is sooo big and has so much storage in it we are almost skipping around the place. Took us a few days to get over moving/unpacking and sorting and I can honestly say I have never had such a sore back, stomach or had legs that were literally dragging and not lifting up anymore.

Today we found our home emergency kitty after DH putting it away in a safe spot, so safe he forgot where due to tiredness and the fact he has short term memory loss anyway from his military service. When I found it he said oh yeah now I remember where I put it :LOL:. I just laugh as it happens regularly which is why I usually shadow him when he does most things as we work together most of the time on everything. This way I can take a mental note of where he has put said tool/item that he always says he puts in x spot.

We went to town today and purchased a few needed things for the home/cars/sheds and some things we want to do around the home as well as chicken legs on special ,some sliced ham and smoked tinned chicken.

Congratulations my Friend!

I forgot to ask if the new home has a wood heater/ stove?

From what I've seen winters can be a bit brisk there.

I seem to have misplaced Tunsian crochet hook from the recliner to the door 10 foot away.
Restful day have done nothing but crochet.
No grand daughter,no tv on, stereo on low with music in the background.
Crochet a while, read awhile, sleep awhile recharging my batteries, haven't been on line today.
This is first time today.
Found my hook. Whew!

Last edited:
My baby sister just called and said in a freak accident her son had cut his fingers off. It is made worse because he is diabetic and has MS. 2018 has not been a good year for that young man. I think she said he is in Dothan hospital now awaiting transport to UAB.

My baby sister just called and said in a freak accident her son had cut his fingers off. It is made worse because he is diabetic and has MS. 2018 has not been a good year for that young man. I think she said he is in Dothan hospital now awaiting transport to UAB.

Sorry to hear that.

Apparently he decided to take up woodworking as a hobby last week . I don't know exactly how it happened. I will talk to my sister more tomorrow when hopefully she will have calmed down some, and an give more details. Thanks so much for your prayers.

Normal sunday here.
Laundry
making meals
reading
nothing on tv to watch lol

Hubby starts another vacation week ( actually 12 days) on this friday
I have some things to make and deliver to my doc's office, and the 2 firehouses that cover our area this coming week and I plan on going to the restaurant supply store to take advantage of their Christmas/ New year sales. They have all manner of foods on sale, from appetizers to soups to seafood to fully cooked briskets. I want to buy more ham, shrimp and chicken. they also have storage food containers on sale which I want to pick up ( like the kind you can get at the deli) and they have their cooking bags on sale for only $2 a box. They sure do keep the crockpot clean

@timmie Have you talked to your sister yet? Outcome? I have prayed for your nephew!

Just made reservations for my trip to FL in March! $99 each way. Plus $43 worth of taxes, of course. I'm so looking forward to going home and for just over half of the month, too! We just got new tablets so I won't have to take my laptop. We are trying to find one of DH's kids or grandkids to stay with him and help with cooking, etc. Of course, I will make meals and freeze in portions, but he still needs some help. Anyway, I am very excited and now comes the preparing and waiting!

Going to our Christmas Cantata at Church this evening. I so love the singing!

Last edited:
@timmie Have you talked to your sister yet? Outcome? I have prayed for your nephew!

Just made reservations for my trip to FL in March! $99 each way. Plus $43 worth of taxes, of course. I'm so looking forward to going home and for just over half of the month, too! We just got new tablets so I won't have to take my laptop. We are trying to find one of DH's kids or grandkids to stay with him and help with cooking, etc. Of course, I will make meals and freeze in portions, but he still needs some help. Anyway, I am very excited and now comes the preparing and waiting!

Going to our Christmas Cantata at Church this evening. I so love the singing!
Thank you . He lost 2 of his fingers that couldn't be reattached. They did the surgery last night and hegot to come home today. He must have blacked out because he said he picked up the saw and the next thing he knew he was seeing blood and his wife and son screaming.

Prayers for the new woodworker. Today was a day of service with Team Rubicon to HeroMissions.org, Set up, christmas present picking, and clean up for kids of Vets and First Responders. So many happy kids makes it all worthwhile.

resting, crocheting,cooking,trying to wrap presents(key word is trying) with my helper today Strawberry.
She's already tried to eat tape,white glue I spilled on floor making spaghetti for Estelle's Christmas present.
Quit on trying to wrap presents for the time being.
Will wait till Strawberry goes to bed tonight.
Would like to do nothing this weekend,but not looking to good.
So I can be rested for Christmas.
Today is definately a Monday.
Have a good day.
Back to crocheting,knitting,sewing for Estelle.

Take some pictures of all of that food you are making for Estelle. Would love to see it.
Had work, shopping errands. Now home and need to finish the daily laundry, take care of the animals. Granddaughter has an American Heritage Girls Christmas party I need to take her to this evening. Husband will take Grandson to Boy Scouts Christmas party at our local pizza place. They are eating and playing board games. Need to mend husbands pants, finish Christmas cards, and look up an interesting find on Sinai and Arabia .com. A guy from the Clarion project. Cut beef for beef jerky for stockings this morning, and it's sitting in seasonings in the fridge till morning, then I'll get it dried. I don't have to make dinner tonight. Everyone will be somewhere.

Yesterday we spent the day cutting a huge Bogainvillea vine down that is growing out the back near the patio area. Although nice with the lovely purple flowers on it it has spikes on it up to 2 - 3 " long and every time we drove the car around the back we were dodging this spiky thing. DH has attacked that and so far cut down half of it and while he was doing that I trimmed all the hedges and vines around the house so they are no longer touching the side of the house. When we finished that we took the prunings to the dump. This took around 5 - 6 hours all tolled.

When I got home I put on a load of washing in the washing machine and hung it on the clothes line to dry and will shortly bring it in. DH got the really old metal hills hoist clothes line to go up and down by spraying it with RP7 and now it works beautifully. During the huge rain storms we had a gutter downpipe that had come out due the the large vine near it so took the opportunity to save water from it in a large container for drinking, hand washing, filling the kettle, general clean up water for the house and watering potted fruit trees and herb plants . As our home runs totally on tank water, apart from the toilet and yard that runs on town water, it saves on electricity with the pump kicking in every time we use the water. We have decided we will do this each time it rains :).

This morning round 1 we have pulled the back sliding screen door off and oiled the rollers and it now opens and shuts effortlessly and while we were at it cleaned the tracks out and cleaned the screen door and 2 sliding glass doors too. DH pulled out one of the sliding glass windows out the back to see why it wouldn't open and close easily and the rollers on the bottom are worn flat on one side so we will have to get some replacement sliding window wheels for that when the budget allows.

Just put on a loaf of bread in the bread making machine and DH is having a nap.

Last edited:
Take some pictures of all of that food you are making for Estelle. Would love to see it.
Had work, shopping errands. Now home and need to finish the daily laundry, take care of the animals. Granddaughter has an American Heritage Girls Christmas party I need to take her to this evening. Husband will take Grandson to Boy Scouts Christmas party at our local pizza place. They are eating and playing board games. Need to mend husbands pants, finish Christmas cards, and look up an interesting find on Sinai and Arabia .com. A guy from the Clarion project. Cut beef for beef jerky for stockings this morning, and it's sitting in seasonings in the fridge till morning, then I'll get it dried. I don't have to make dinner tonight. Everyone will be somewhere.
Okay, will try too.

Round 2 of today is that we spent a little time in the food storage room and DH put up a 5 shelf storage unit in there and we took one of the older 4 shelf ones down to put in the laundry for storing laundry liquids, disinfectant ,homemade clothing stain remover, ammonia and pegs. While DH was doing that I started wiping the dust off the food storage tubs and so far have stacked the white sugar, raw sugar and honey at one end of the room. I then moved onto stacking one box of medications into the first aid cabinet but still have a few to go.

We found some more boxes of food for the kitchen pantry and stacked the food in there. Just got off the load of clean washing off the clothes line.

Tonight's dinner was chicken drumsticks marinated in honey soy and chips.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back