What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well just to make thing confusing in my neck of Canada its above freezing today and threatening to rain/
We finally got cold. It didn't hit 40° today. We woke up to 23° with a wind chill of 12°

Toby. RIP... ? -1-16-2017. Beagle, Rescue Dog, like me, Yes I did it. He Injured himself. Spent the night in ceasures , nothing I could do. It was a "Quality Of Life" issue, that I would never apply to a Human, in the same circumstance.
"Mans Best Friend" does not describe. He was "Over And Above". Nuff Said. Thought I had a Picture, turns out I didn't. He died by my will, as if by my own hand. That's the way he wanted it.

I'm so sorry about Toby, Resto! Best friends are not easy to come by!

Took DH to hospital today for EGD. Acid reflux healing, now he has an ulcer. Went to Burger King for lunch and then home. It has snowed all afternoon and evening. Maybe 2" stuck to the ground. More snow than I have seen in the 6 years we have been in this area! Today was the fourth time it has snowed this season.

Started working on Roo's closet. I took all her toy totes out and went through them. I made new labels and took inventory of how many totes and of what size I still need to finish. I also took out the totes of outgrown toys. This weekend K is going to finish by taking the outgrown play kitchen out of Roo's room. That will open up some wall space. Hopefully this will help keep Roo's room a bit less of a pig sty!

I also placed an order for a bra organizer to help them keep their shape. I hope every little thing helps as I found out K has been washing them in the machine with his work clothes and tossing them in the dryer!

Toby. RIP... ? -1-16-2017. Beagle, Rescue Dog, like me, Yes I did it. He Injured himself. Spent the night in ceasures , nothing I could do. It was a "Quality Of Life" issue, that I would never apply to a Human, in the same circumstance.
"Mans Best Friend" does not describe. He was "Over And Above". Nuff Said. Thought I had a Picture, turns out I didn't. He died by my will, as if by my own hand. That's the way he wanted it.
Sorry to hear! Losing a pet is rough.

I feel your "great", Timmie! Wish I had a stuck at home day. Ha.
Off to the grocery store early before work. Need some fresh stuff.
Lots of good produce sales at our Sprouts. Tomatoes are 50 cents a lb. so I think I'll fill up the dehydrator.
Hubby likes lots of fresh beets. Last week I pack a bunch for his lunch, and he called later and said he scared himself when he went to the bathroom and his pee was red.

The faustian end of the bargain we have with our fur babies is that they give all they can to love and cherish us and in exchange we must provide a quality of life deserving of such admiration. That often means making hard and unpalatable decisions like you made and I've made too to preserve the quality of life they deserve. My heart is saddened for your loss but lifted by the fact you made the choices required. :(

Last edited:
Just got back from a materials run to the city. More insulation and other building supplies for the new garage/shop. I will wait to unload until tomorrow.
The ceiling will be at 12-1/2 feet and I decided to buy a couple sections of light scaffolding to make it easier when I am working inside. I think when I am done with the job, my son might want the scaffold. If not I will just use it as shelving.

So to make a short story last a paragraph... LOL
- I went back to the store I was at yesterday to find one more frame for my last metal gun sign. While I was there I looked t the sale sign and realized they overcharged me for the frame I bought yesterday. So After a talk to the manager of Hobby Lobby I was returned the amount I was over charged and then bought another frame for the sign pictured below.
26731303_1234505859983763_649946441726215724_n.jpg

I then worked out for 75min and headed to Rural King to buy a new .308 rifle, sling, 20 rounds and a predator call. So tomorrow I'll sight the gun in so I can do some coyote hunting. Photo of gun later.

Sorry for your loss Resto.

Survived work. Did some grocery shopping early this morning, and bought 9 eggplant at 33 cents each. So I put them in marinade (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, pepper, paprika, salt and now they are in the dehydrator. Anxious to see how the strips turn out. Got some good news from my favorite cousin in Kansas. Her husband diagnosed with prostate cancer (the bad news, it's stage 3), but the good news is the bone scan is clear and the lungs, too. He is opting for surgery and chemo in about 4 weeks. Prayers for Elton Miller, please.

Planning on plowing some snow.....nothing better to do :dancing:
Sounds like you're bored, my friend!

Survived work. Did some grocery shopping early this morning, and bought 9 eggplant at 33 cents each. So I put them in marinade (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, pepper, paprika, salt and now they are in the dehydrator. Anxious to see how the strips turn out. Got some good news from my favorite cousin in Kansas. Her husband diagnosed with prostate cancer (the bad news, it's stage 3), but the good news is the bone scan is clear and the lungs, too. He is opting for surgery and chemo in about 4 weeks. Prayers for Elton Miller, please.
On my prayer list he goes. Prayerfully all will go well, but Gods will be done.

I finally went through my last dresser drawer and thinned out my bras and slips. I tossed the bras that were the wrong size, lost stretch or were falling apart. I have 3 left. Now to get a few new ones and await the new bra organizer I ordered.

Hello everyone and I hope you have had a good day :) .

So far this morning I have gone and visited my elderly friend in the nursing home for a few hours and we had a wonderful time together and when I got home I put on a loaf of bread in the bread making machine. Yum I can smell that lovely bread smell wafting through the house as I type.

While I was away DH did a impromptu gardening job and mowed our next door neighbours yard as the usual guy he pays to do it he couldn't contact. He insisted paying DH which was lovely and he earned $50 from the mowing and whipper snipping of the edges. What a blessing after stocking up a lot of needed items on our household to buy list so this means we will bank some more money into our house deposit account. He also stain removed some clothing and put on a load of washing before he left for his gardening job and then hung it on the clothes line to dry when he got home and watered the 2 fruit trees on the back veranda in pots.

@Amish Heart Elton will be in our prayers.

@txcatlady hope the calf survives and thrives and finds mum's milk.

Shortly after I wake DH up from his sleep we will have a late lunch and then this evening supplement hand water some plants that are struggling with the heat. Speaking of heat since we put up shade cloth around the front veranda where the sun beat down on the front wall of the house we haven't turned on even a ceiling fan and it didn't cost us anything to do it apart from a few items we had on hand here being nails and baling twine.

Went to grocery store.
Put groceries away.
Cleaned kitchen cabinet under sink.
Cleaned out two junk drawers.
Packed several boxes of stuff to go back to both son's homes.
Will be dropping those boxes off tomorrow.
Dropping of some items at parent's house tomorrow.
Working on twin size Pineapple Quilt.
And matching baby crib size Pineapple Quilt.
Making curtains for grand daughter's room( they are 12 and 6 months).
Finishing last load of jeans, washing, drying and putting away.
Then got doctor appointment on Friday.

On vacation since last Saturday. Been hunting every day morning and evening. Installed security camera system on my camper for when I'm gone. Not probably needed but just in case. You never know. Didn't hunt this morning just couldn't get out of the covers at 23 degrees with 16 degree wind chill. Got a new tractor yesterday gonna move some dirt big time today. Not back to work till next Tuesday...

Yep,all of a sudden loosing most of my day taking care of Bill is going to take done getting use to again.
I find myself wondering what I will do when those I take care of are gone and have moved on. I moved my mom in with me 2 years ago when she was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. My oldest son is out of college, with a great job and wonderful gf, so it's a treat when he is home for supper. My youngest is in college now. My days of being busy taking care of others are numbered!!

Back