What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Spikedriver Your vision is worth the $. Also, one of those useless bits of info I know - it's also called crazing on dishes and pottery when the glaze does that.
@MoBookworm1957 Glad you're getting settled in and saving money to boot.
@Patchouli Oohhh. . . . .bummer.
@Grimm Good to hear from you! Way to go Roo. Between you and Patch, the cats are on a mission.

I worked today - prepped and enameled a rail that has already been installed that the first finish failed on so that part was a bit aggravating (having to do it twice.)

House cleaning day today and DH started off with putting on a load of washing in the washing machine and hanging it on the clothesline to dry and I ran the grey water to the ornamental spider, canna and calla lily beds in the gardens.

DH then vacuumed the carpets and swept the vinyl floors and I deep cleaned the bathrooms and toilet and everything sparkles again.

This afternoon we went to the RSL club for our weekly date day and had a few soft drinks. Now at home relaxing for the evening and tonight's dinner will be homemade pizza.

Good to see you back @Grimm and good luck with the homeschooling but it sounds like you have it all organised. Good to hear that Roo is reading some advanced books for her age.

@MoBookworm1957 good to hear you are settling in well there and your utilities are much lower and you can save more.

@Grimm and @Patchouli sounds like the cats are declaring war on you both. Our cat has a propensity for ripping my lounge chair to bits with scratching. Tried a scratch post but she doesn't like that and put up shade cloth near my chair which she loves to scratch outside but nope it is still my chair she attacks.

The new improved pet
iI2RxKd.gif

N0Jrbja.gif

I experienced the definition of frustration today: the men at church were smoking 500 pounds of pork butts for a fundraiser, using two commercial smokers. So, we had to wrap all this meat. Handling 500 pounds of delicious smoked pork, but you're not allowed to eat any of it, is just about the most frustrating thing on Earth...

I was too tired to write much last night, exhausted. I had to go to the big town for a new bed. My aunt had bought a Sealy recently and was happy with it. I had trouble finding the store where she got hers. This is an area of the big town that was wiped from the face of the earth during an EF4 tornado not too many years ago.

Nothing, including side streets, are like they were for most of my life. I found a bed store that turned out to be a Sealy factory store. I found something I liked and wrote down a bunch prices of other mattresses. The guy told me how to get to the store my aunt purchased at. They carried mostly Sealy products too.

The factory store was $100 cheaper on the low end stuff and up to $300 cheaper on the high end stuff. On top of that 25,000 students are beginning to show up for fall classes at the university so they had a big sale on.

I got a bargain no matter how you slice it, a new bed 40% off regular price.

Aside from beds with this kind of foam or that kind of foam they now have “platforms”. It’s a frame the top of which is about 17 inches off the floor. It takes the place of a regular frame and box spring. I can now clean under the bed with the vacuum cleaner. Also, I now have extra storage for suit cases and clothes. I use those bags you can put winter or summer clothes in, hook a vacuum cleaner too and suck all the air out.

I don’t have a lot of closet space so keeping off season clothes in vacuum sealed bags comes in handy, now I can put them under the bed.

Anyway, I’m resting today! I woke up and am still exhausted!

Did a little reloading this morning. 250 9mm and another 250 40 caliber. I will be reloading 223/556 next week although I have enough for a few range visits that are not my most accurate load. I will be loading the accuracy load from now on. Tomorrow I will be shooting rim fire silhouette and maybe I will take my AR out in case I am not worn out enough after silhouette.

We went and had breakfast at a local diner then went to the store. Got the pups their food and hubby got his beer. I needed orange juice and a watermelon.
I watered all the containers since they needed it especially the herbs
I made cookies
I mowed the yards and hubby mowed the meadow. Then I push mowed around all the raised beds and hubby weed whacked.
After we both cooled off I folded some laundry and he got a package ready to send for a return
He's out and about now bringing home supper while I read the Net and listen to the radio
Should go ahead and get the coffee pot ready then I don't have to worry with it

Yesterday we finished spreading out the dirt over the back fence that was put there from a friend with a tractor who leveled the grape yard vineyard for us. We estimate we have about 2 metres of our creek embankment back at the back of the property and no more boulder filled dirt in the main house paddock now :) .

DH emptied the kitchen bin and I emptied the recycling bin so the kitchen is now back to it's usual sparkling self. He also put on a loaf of bread in the bread making machine so we now have fresh bread for the weekend.

We studied our scripture lessons for the week last night and I sent a Sister the lessons to study via email with links until the end of August while she is waiting for her lesson manual to turn up.

Last night's dinner was the rest of our homemade pizza.

Off to church this morning being Sunday.

Today was an annual genealogical training at the library. I had never gone before, but someone shared that it was happening. I just did a 2 hour morning session about writing up your research. There was more this afternoon, but I had to check on the dog. It was a good session, and I had heard the same woman speak a few weeks ago on a different toppic. As I was leaving, just as I was going to enter the parking structure, a woman said hi to me, and asked if I new her. I did not immediately recognize her. She told me her name. She was from my hometown and someone whom I hung around with a bit in h.s. Her sister is my age. I haven't seen her in at least 49 years. Of course it made my day.

Went to church this morning and had a good day and caught up with a few people and a friend gave us 1 1/2 dozen of his free range eggs as he was overrun with them.

Back home now and saw we had a mountain of dark clothes to wash. I put on a load of washing and hung it on the clothes line to dry and DH watered the garden beds with the grey water. Just finished watering the potted fruit trees and herbs and DH is having a nap for an hour.

Other than that a relaxing afternoon planned and dinner will be bacon and eggs for something a little easier.

Went to an auction this afternoon. I was looking at a couple pickups but they turned out to be 2wd so I wasn't interested. I did get a plastic toolbox full of screwdrivers, pliers, tape measures, and assorted sockets for 8 bucks. Wasn't Snap-on quality, but for 8 bucks who cares? I can lose a lot of screwdrivers and pliers and be money ahead now...

shot rim fire silhouette this morning and did very well. At least I shot into my class (AAA) which is better than I have been shooting.
Then I went to the rifle range and fired 90 rounds of junk ammo through the least accurate of my ARs. At 100 yards I put 81 of 90 rounds of quick fire junk ammo into a 2 inch group. the 9 outliers made it a 3x3.5 group. I had to burn the ammo up so I can load my accuracy load. (well I could have kept the ammo around but it bugs me to have "junk" ammo and the good stuff.
Tonight I will be loading 223 ammo.
I am trying to get some ready for when my daughter and her fiance visit over Labor Day weekend. We will have lots of ammo to shoot. (it's better than having to meet him while I'm cleaning my shotgun)
They are both gun people, not fanatics but, they enjoy shooting their guns.

@Amish Heart Welcome home! Sooo, tomorrow is Monday and me thinks you won't be going to work - how does that feel?
@Spikedriver I like going to estate sale for that very reason. Hubby never did until he met me. Guess who finds stuff at the sales these days :)
@SheepDog That's a lot of rounds! Doesn't your arm/shoulder get tired? I used to be in a single action club. One time trying to get as many targets down with 100 rounds through a lever action , about round 70-80 I thought my arm was spaghetti. I finished but competed against the area champ so didn't even place. Still cool, she was a friend of sorts.
We went up the mountain, took care of the yard, cleaned some things up, and brought another load back. It's getting emptier. I am ready to not be tethered to it any more.

Ha Ha LL.
Every one keeps asking me what I'm doing tomorrow.
Finishing unpacking, some cleaning, buying animal feed, buying fly traps, replacing the bathroom light bulb......
Granddaughter is helping me clean some organic oats I brought home. We started shaking them through a colander, and now need to blow a fan over them. Think we'll do that outside.

I'm going to do a little something in the van conversion and cook and may even tackle vines growing on fence in yard this afternoon.

Right now I'm having me a Guinness Draught Stout in a cold mug. It only takes one of these beers to help with nerves.
I just smelled it and I'm already looking on the bright side.

Song starts in 12 seconds into video,so its not broke its just slow.

Back