What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[USER=32 said:
@SheepDog[/USER] That's a lot of rounds! Doesn't your arm/shoulder get tired? I used to be in a single action club. One time trying to get as many targets down with 100 rounds through a lever action , about round 70-80 I thought my arm was spaghetti. I finished but competed against the area champ so didn't even place. Still cool, she was a friend of sorts.
We went up the mountain, took care of the yard, cleaned some things up, and brought another load back. It's getting emptier. I am ready to not be tethered to it any more.

LadyLocust,
No, the AR is 556 and has so little recoil that I can shoot it without putting it hard into my shoulder. It's just a 22 caliber 55 grain bullet. Your lever action was probably a heavier bullet and you were standing and not shooting from a bench. Now shooting the rim fire silhouette is tiring for me. Standing and shooting off-hand (no support) my back will start complaining before shooting all 40 rounds.
I know some folks who shoot Cowboy Action and they are amazingly fast.
It looks fun but I am not competitive enough to do it. I prefer precision shooting - small targets at a slower pace.

Yesterday was Church in the AM, then harvested 15 butternut squash and some more okra. Looked for and found my homemade hot chocolate mix and looked for mandoline but have not found that yet.

This morning I harvested basil and got it in the dehydrator on the front porch, looked through (and disposed of most) some bank card offers and misc. papers. About to look for some pills for dog-- don't know where they went. Straightened out some doc appts. for DH and then aim to straighten out linen closet.

I'm sorry for your loss. We lost a dryer earlier this year after a battle with a bad relay. Replacement organs were not available so we had to let it go on the the great recycler.
I empathize with you and want you to know that although a replacement will never be the same you will grow to love the new one too.
:sarcasm:
They are expensive though!:eyeballs:

I hate the new high efficiency type washers. I wish somebody still made the old school big tub washers that used about 100 gallons per wash. Those suckers washed!

Hope you can find one that works for your needs @Terri9630 .

I had an old White Westing House washer. It was older than me when I bought it and I loved that thing. We routed the drain out to the pasture to water the grass.

No rain here, either.
Our dryer died 2 weeks ago. I don't care because I never use it. Two of our adults kids care, because they use it a lot. But they don't care enough to replace it, so it'll stay broken.

I'd be happier if the dryer died. I can always use the clothes line. Laundry mats are expensive.

@Terri9630 whatever you do, don't get the new water efficient, no agitator kind. There was one here when we moved in. We were going to leave ours to sell with the mountain house. We brought ours here and put Earl in the basement. I usually don't name appliances, but that song Earl Had to Die (go for a swim at the bottom of the lake) yep, that's how much I disliked the thing. It left the dirt/soap/oils on the clothes as it wouldn't use enough water to rinse them (3"-4" in the tub.). Also, with no agitator, it tied our clothes in knots. I took a picture so people would believe me. (Whew! That might have been a bit of a vent.). I like our old Kenmore. @Amish Heart I'm like you, hardly ever use the dryer. If it died, I probably wouldn't replace it either.

LadyLocust,
No, the AR is 556 and has so little recoil that I can shoot it without putting it hard into my shoulder. It's just a 22 caliber 55 grain bullet. Your lever action was probably a heavier bullet and you were standing and not shooting from a bench. Now shooting the rim fire silhouette is tiring for me. Standing and shooting off-hand (no support) my back will start complaining before shooting all 40 rounds.
I know some folks who shoot Cowboy Action and they are amazingly fast.
It looks fun but I am not competitive enough to do it. I prefer precision shooting - small targets at a slower pace.
That's what I did - minus the amazingly fast part :)

I agree Lady Locust. We are going to replace the circuit board and then leave this set here. I'm going to buy a good old fashioned top loader with a hot or cold setting and a on and off switch. Maybe a setting for the load size but that's it.
Does anyone even make those any more?

If I were in the market for a washer I think I'd find one of the old commercial coin operated ones. Laundromats are getting rid of them to get the front load, high efficiency types because it saves them money on water. Might be able to get a deal, and disable the coin operation...

Been busy unpacking the last of my stuff.
Also today I have accomplished the following:
Move the file cabinet into narrow living room closet.-done
Move walker and small table into narrow living room closet-done
Move cart that I got on clearance(new cost $60) clearance price ($20) under my bed.-done
Pickup yard waste, put in box for trash pickup tomorrow.-done(thorny)
Prepare coffee for morning-done
Make tea-done
Get out ice-refill ice trays-done
Sweep off front porch-done
Take out trash-done
Water all plants-done
Watch grand daughter for several hours- done
Steam mop bathroom floor- done
Rearrange living room closet now that maintence man added taller bar for longer garments.-done
Rearrange bedroom closet again maint. man added taller bar so uniforms are dragging the floor.-done
Did several loads of laundry, washed, dried and put away- done.
Terri, that is the type of machine I have now.
Will have grand daughter for a few hours tomorrow, her mom is working 2 jobs trying to get big sister ready for school year, which starts in approx. 3 weeks.
Tomorrows agenda is dishes, coffee before grand daughter and Strawberry get up.
Will have to figure something out for lunch, but thinking spaghetti, we haven't had that in a while.

Yesterday we went to DH's physiotherapy appointment and as usual it left his nerves on edge. While we were there went to the supermarket and purchased the rest of the tinned fruit that we needed along with flour and some fruit from both Woolworths and IGA.

Started off today with filling the water jerry in the car and filling the car with fuel. Then we went for DH's psychologists appointment and that went well. Since we were in town we purchased the carton of cat food we needed from Aldi and I found myself a nice pair of leather ballet flat shoes under $10. We then went to another supermarket and purchased bread improver and to IGA to pick up some 4 x 6 pkts of bread rolls, 2 being wholemeal and the other 2 white.

Stopped off to have some lunch and had a nice hamburger each, some hot chips with minimal salt on them and had a chocolate milkshake that we pay for with DH's meal allowance he gets for traveling through DVA.

Back home where DH marked the dates on all of the new purchased groceries and put them away in the storage room. Now just relaxing with the slow combustion stove on to warm up the house a bit.

Made a little observation/shooting platform on the back side of my shed today. Just that extra 8 foot of height makes it so I can see over a much larger area. Now the elk and coyotes have no place to hide.
008.JPG

Made a little observation/shooting platform on the back side of my shed today. Just that extra 8 foot of height makes it so I can see over a much larger area. Now the elk and coyotes have no place to hide.View attachment 22667
Looks great. I’m curious why only a rail on one side at the top or is the diagonal the other

Started off the day with DH starting to put the food storage shelving units together and while he was doing that I swept the kitchen and bathroom and spot cleaned the vinyl. We both continued with putting the shelving together with me handing DH the pieces and shelves. They are now all done and we stacked the powdered milk on the one shelving unit in date order and moved tinned spam, tinned harvest vegetables and meat and oysters on another shelving unit. We also stacked all the toilet paper on top of a few shelving units.

DH's trainer came over to show him a little more on how to enter the RSL information into the computer but there was a problem from previous data entry that had to be fixed first. He is coming back on Saturday to show him some more.

Just finished stain removing and putting on a load of washing and hanging it on the clothes line to dry. Tonight's dinner was eggs on toast for something a little easier.

Looks great. I’m curious why only a rail on one side at the top or is the diagonal the other
Just used the diagonal bar because it was easy and all I thought was needed. Plus it is strong while if I put another upright in there was little to fasten it to. I was also running out of lumber!
On Monday I have to go to the city and will be restocking my stored lumber supplies.

@Terri9630 whatever you do, don't get the new water efficient, no agitator kind. There was one here when we moved in. We were going to leave ours to sell with the mountain house. We brought ours here and put Earl in the basement. I usually don't name appliances, but that song Earl Had to Die (go for a swim at the bottom of the lake) yep, that's how much I disliked the thing. It left the dirt/soap/oils on the clothes as it wouldn't use enough water to rinse them (3"-4" in the tub.). Also, with no agitator, it tied our clothes in knots. I took a picture so people would believe me. (Whew! That might have been a bit of a vent.). I like our old Kenmore. @Amish Heart I'm like you, hardly ever use the dryer. If it died, I probably wouldn't replace it either.

So true we had to buy one and for past couple years have to run wash cycle twice to make sure they rinse well and don't dry in dirt.

Been busy unpacking the last of my stuff.
Also today I have accomplished the following:
Move the file cabinet into narrow living room closet.-done
Move walker and small table into narrow living room closet-done
Move cart that I got on clearance(new cost $60) clearance price ($20) under my bed.-done
Pickup yard waste, put in box for trash pickup tomorrow.-done(thorny)
Prepare coffee for morning-done
Make tea-done
Get out ice-refill ice trays-done
Sweep off front porch-done
Take out trash-done
Water all plants-done
Watch grand daughter for several hours- done
Steam mop bathroom floor- done
Rearrange living room closet now that maintence man added taller bar for longer garments.-done
Rearrange bedroom closet again maint. man added taller bar so uniforms are dragging the floor.-done
Did several loads of laundry, washed, dried and put away- done.
Terri, that is the type of machine I have now.
Will have grand daughter for a few hours tomorrow, her mom is working 2 jobs trying to get big sister ready for school year, which starts in approx. 3 weeks.
Tomorrows agenda is dishes, coffee before grand daughter and Strawberry get up.
Will have to figure something out for lunch, but thinking spaghetti, we haven't had that in a while.

MoBook glad your finally getting settled in .

Today I tackled the flower garden beds. Had weeds galore up to my waste. Some had to dig up with shovel.
Felt bad this am so got busy and what a difference just working makes, felt so much better. Now going to feed store soon and buy hay to cover it,hopefully that will mean little to none fertilizing except maybe a little Epsom Salts by next year.

Last edited:
Made a little observation/shooting platform on the back side of my shed today. Just that extra 8 foot of height makes it so I can see over a much larger area. Now the elk and coyotes have no place to hide.View attachment 22667

Looks good Hiwall, I've always wanted to put one up but with these large oaks it will have to be several stories high. Still hope to do it one day.

I'm setting here, having a ham n cheese sandwich and an apple for lunch. The apple is a Braeburn from my local Mom n Pop grocery store, and quite frankly it is garbage. The outside seems good but the flesh is almost gritty. Most of the apples I've gotten this year have been kind of poor, and a little higher priced than normal. Anybody else notice this? The Goldens and Pink Ladies I've gotten recently were only a little better ...

Back