What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drying my backside. Went out under the lean to and sat in the tractor seat to move it. The roof developed a leak during our recent rains and apparently it all decided to pool on the tractor seat. Of course with it being under cover I didn’t bother to check it before I sat down. Sitting in a cold wet puddle is no fun. To top it off the tractor wouldn’t start.:cry::cry:

Spent the day with some old planes. Jake starts The Civil Air Defense Cadet program next week.

cad1.jpg

cad2.jpg

cad3.jpg

Round 1 of today is I studied my scripture lesson for the week that we went to church and had a good day. On the way back home we hit a gallah which got wedged in our grill so we stopped and DH and I freed it and it flew off. You have to be careful of them as they can rip a good hole in your hand when angry so I was holding it's head nice and still and keeping my hands well clear of it's beak. It was okay just lot quite a few feathers and had a death like grip with it's claws on the grill.

We stopped at the petrol station and filled up with fuel and got DH another playstation 4 as the last one's hard drive had bit the dirt and they are not worth repairing from what we found and only last a month afterward.

Back home where DH has vacuumed the whole home and I deep cleaned the bathrooms and toilet for the week. About to shortly wash the dishes, dry them and put them away.

My life has pretty much turned upside down since my MIL has moved in and I am taking care of her needs 24/7. I get up at 4 am just so I can have some time to myself and get some of the cleaning done in the great room where she hangs out during the day to watch tv/sleep all day. She loves the old western tv shows from back in the day, like The Virginian and Gunsmoke or WWII military. Our day begins at 7:30 if she doesn't wake up before hand. First stop is I wheel her into the bathroom for potty time and every other day a shower. Then I start washing her bedding. Yes, this is almost daily. . . At least with her padding under her, the top sheet and her quilt. I have two of everything so Once I get it stripped for the laundry, I can make it up. Granny sometimes soaks thru when wetting the bed at night but mainly it is due to her rolling. She has very thin skin at her age and old soars will bleed some. Once that is done, she gets wheeled into the living room for breakfast and coffee. With I or my hunny cooks breakfast. If hunny is in he sits while I go out to feed, water and clean out goat barn, troughs and medicate if needed. After she is done eating, which no matter what meal takes her at least an hour to eat to one and a half. You have to stay with her in case she choked on something. After breakfast is pill time. Which is 11 pills which 4 are divided into either 1/2 or 1/4s depending on the size which you hand give in her mouth in 5 different batches. Then lotion her body, chapstick for lips, then hair gets done. Depending on day, this means small curling iron. Granny does have a bald spot where she had skin cancer burnt off a couple years ago and it can be very challenging to get that all covered. By the time all that gets done, I have about 30 minutes before next bathroom break. Then maybe . . . Another 30 minutes before her lunch. . . Then another bathroom break. . . She will always tell me she doesn't need to go, but she does. I had learned the hard way if she isn't taken every 3 hours she will go in her pants and I get the oh I'm wet or I got a dirty butt. We still have some accidents but it is much better and it is easier on me to have her sit on the John to do her business and me just wipe than to have to clean her up caked on. . . Then I get a couple hours before I have to start dinner, only having to give a snack, unwrap a couple pieces of candy and refill water and ice in her cup. Once I get dinner done, it's another potty break then out to feed my goats. Come in to finish up dinner and serve by 6pm. 8:30 is another potty break for her and get her ready for bed. I normally take her back out to the living room to watch whatever football or baseball game she is watching with hunny and I get ready for bed and crawl in. Hunny puts her to bed, but she always wants to see me too so if I am still awake, I will go tell her goodnight. normally anywhere between 9:30 - 10pm. In my free time, I can clean, quilt or crochet. This is my day, most everyday except the two days a week I go to work. On those days, I wake up at 3 am to check and see how this be will be that morning. You never know what you walk into so I give myself an extra hour. I get her ready for the day Then put her back to bed and hunny takes care of her until I get home.

Yes I am a believer @Sentry18 . And I also believe in taking care of one's own. We found a group of older folks that meets a couple times a week for three hours at a church to fellowship, do exercises (just whatever they can do), Ice cream party, sometimes have kids come sing, just thing like that. I think it would be good for her to get out among other people to socialize, but it will also give me a break, which is much needed after the 10 weeks she has been here, and some quality time with my hunny since we have no alone time.
I just want to try out one day to give me three hours. Last week she had her pacemaker replaced on Tues and they meet on Thurz. We didn't do it then because the replacement was so soon and she was still recovering. This week, we were flooded and am sure they didn't meet anyway. I am hoping next Thurs we can give it a try.

Yes I am a believer @Sentry18 . And I also believe in taking care of one's own. We found a group of older folks that meets a couple times a week for three hours at a church to fellowship, do exercises (just whatever they can do), Ice cream party, sometimes have kids come sing, just thing like that. I think it would be good for her to get out among other people to socialize, but it will also give me a break, which is much needed after the 10 weeks she has been here, and some quality time with my hunny since we have no alone time.
I just want to try out one day to give me three hours. Last week she had her pacemaker replaced on Tues and they meet on Thurz. We didn't do it then because the replacement was so soon and she was still recovering. This week, we were flooded and am sure they didn't meet anyway. I am hoping next Thurs we can give it a try.

Well then know you are blessed! :)

Agreeing with you Dani, about the social time for MIL and the time needed for your husband, too. I am always trying to convince my mom she needs the social time, as she tends to be an angry hermit. When my mom lived with us, there wasn't any time for husband and I. She would not be happy if our son or daughter came to entertain her when husband and I would go out. That time is important.

Bless you Dani.
Nice pictures Sentry.
Be careful what you wish for Jim.
Been raining here since Friday.
Supposed to be 100% all day of rain today.
Laundry is done.
Strawberry is going out taking care of business between rain showers.
That's been a challenge.
Have cooked something up for supper.
It was okay for lunch.
Will reheat in the morning for breakfast.
Need to finish cleaning out refrigerator for the trash man on Tuesday.
Have the grand daughter tomorrow.
That will be long day.
0730 am-0730 pm.

We made it back from camping/hunting. Hubby is a vegetarian for the year unless he happens upon a bear before the season ends. He loves archery and drew buck and bear. He had only been out maybe 3 days so I said I was kidnapping him and taking him hunting. He's been working 14+ hr days sometimes 6 days per week. I've been only slightly less. It did us both good. I actually took a nap yesterday which I haven't done in ages. Hubby took a nap later in the day. Amazing how the peace and quiet can lull one. It was beautiful!

@Dani :huggs:. You deserve a huge hug.

Congrats Hash. 1 st place don't come easy in most bike shows. Everybody does their best in those competitions.

I'm actually getting tired of trying to keep up, I'm thinking about selling that while it still wins. I have an old Shovelhead that's my daily ride, I don't figure I'll ever get rid of it.

My life has pretty much turned upside down since my MIL has moved in and I am taking care of her needs 24/7. I get up at 4 am just so I can have some time to myself and get some of the cleaning done in the great room where she hangs out during the day to watch tv/sleep all day. She loves the old western tv shows from back in the day, like The Virginian and Gunsmoke or WWII military. Our day begins at 7:30 if she doesn't wake up before hand. First stop is I wheel her into the bathroom for potty time and every other day a shower. Then I start washing her bedding. Yes, this is almost daily. . . At least with her padding under her, the top sheet and her quilt. I have two of everything so Once I get it stripped for the laundry, I can make it up. Granny sometimes soaks thru when wetting the bed at night but mainly it is due to her rolling. She has very thin skin at her age and old soars will bleed some. Once that is done, she gets wheeled into the living room for breakfast and coffee. With I or my hunny cooks breakfast. If hunny is in he sits while I go out to feed, water and clean out goat barn, troughs and medicate if needed. After she is done eating, which no matter what meal takes her at least an hour to eat to one and a half. You have to stay with her in case she choked on something. After breakfast is pill time. Which is 11 pills which 4 are divided into either 1/2 or 1/4s depending on the size which you hand give in her mouth in 5 different batches. Then lotion her body, chapstick for lips, then hair gets done. Depending on day, this means small curling iron. Granny does have a bald spot where she had skin cancer burnt off a couple years ago and it can be very challenging to get that all covered. By the time all that gets done, I have about 30 minutes before next bathroom break. Then maybe . . . Another 30 minutes before her lunch. . . Then another bathroom break. . . She will always tell me she doesn't need to go, but she does. I had learned the hard way if she isn't taken every 3 hours she will go in her pants and I get the oh I'm wet or I got a dirty butt. We still have some accidents but it is much better and it is easier on me to have her sit on the John to do her business and me just wipe than to have to clean her up caked on. . . Then I get a couple hours before I have to start dinner, only having to give a snack, unwrap a couple pieces of candy and refill water and ice in her cup. Once I get dinner done, it's another potty break then out to feed my goats. Come in to finish up dinner and serve by 6pm. 8:30 is another potty break for her and get her ready for bed. I normally take her back out to the living room to watch whatever football or baseball game she is watching with hunny and I get ready for bed and crawl in. Hunny puts her to bed, but she always wants to see me too so if I am still awake, I will go tell her goodnight. normally anywhere between 9:30 - 10pm. In my free time, I can clean, quilt or crochet. This is my day, most everyday except the two days a week I go to work. On those days, I wake up at 3 am to check and see how this be will be that morning. You never know what you walk into so I give myself an extra hour. I get her ready for the day Then put her back to bed and hunny takes care of her until I get home.
It can be hard, but to care for someone in need is a real blessing from God. Praying for you

I had a therapy appointment today.
Three hours of recoil therapy and I feel like a new man!

Round 1 of today is that we put on a load of washing each and hung it on the clothesline to dry. DH put our second grey water hose onto the neighbour's one as she uses more water than us and put it on the mandarin tree to water it.

This afternoon DH planted the sprouting seed potatoes that we had in the kitchen in one garden bed and I planted turnips and carrots in another garden bed. We had a curious male redneck wallaby who was just waiting to eat our vegetables that have just come up as we had the wire front down on one section while planting. It soon got the message that we weren't going to let it in. I have just watered the newly planted seeds and potatoes for an hour with the drip irrigation system and the rest that are sprouted got 15 mins at the end of the watering cycle and I hand watered the fruit and herb potted plants.

We have worked out how to save more water as we are on 100 litres per person per day restrictions and that is by doing number twos in the outhouse so we will be flushing the toilet which runs on town water about 4 times less per day saving about 20 litres of town water. Part of prepping is water saving :) so that water we saved can be used on the gardens to grow our vegetables instead .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back