What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today we started off the morning with stain removing clothing, putting on a load of washing each and hanging it on the clothesline to dry. Then DH set off the grey water pumped from the tank to water one mulberry tree and I moved the neighbours grey water sprinkler to water another of our mulberry trees. We then packaged all the chicken drumsticks we purchased and made 16 meals for the two of us and we put it in the freezer.

Then it was kitchen tidy time so DH washed the dishes, cleaned the benches and I wiped them and put them away. I set the drip irrigation system off to water the vegetable beds and we have vegetables sprouting everywhere which is nice to see and I hand watered the potted herbs and fruit trees and filled the kangaroo/wallaby drinking water for the day. DH while I was doing that took off the two loads of clean laundry off the clothesline and bought it inside.

We are also getting another quote from an electrician for the lights replacements and installing the stove.

Tonight's dinner was fried chicken drumsticks and steamed peas, corn and potato and dessert a small serve of ice cream.

Last edited:
Today....NOTHING.

Mid to high 90s today , high humidity.

Still not a drop of rain.
Pond is dropping fast.

Grass is no more...like crunchy.

Sun feels like a torch.

Trees are dropping brown leaves.

Everything is covered in dust.

Uuuuugggghhhh...

Late September.gaah

Jim

Hope you get relief soon Jim. I worry about fires when that happens here.

Had tiny terror today.
Grand daughter is heck on wheels.
Grand daughter learned new word today compliments of Granny.
Granny gets aggrevated with Strawberry, I call her a turd.
You guessed it grand daughter called Strawberry a turd this afternoon.
I would like to be there when she calls her big sister a turd.
Not doing much tomorrow.
Maybe icing my right knee.
Took a little tumble yesterday. Landed squarely on right knee..
Hurts, but not as stiff today as it was last night.
Picked up grand daughter at 0800 hours this morning, she got picked up tonight at 1800 hours.
Long day with no nap for grand daughter or Strawberry.

1 load of laundry washed, dried waiting on Granny's bed to be put away.
The other load of permanent press is in drier now.
Well everything but my shirts, they're hanging on shower curtain rod drying.
Strawberry got her behind handed to her this morning.
I filed complaint with office about neighbors animals being on leash or tie outs.
Everybody else's animals down here have to be on leashes or tie outs.
Inside city limits have leash laws not that some people follow the law.
No grand daughter today, so I'm celebrating.
Haven't figured out how I'm celebrating but I am.
Maybe with a nice nap this afternoon.
Took inventory of my clothes in the closet.
8 shirts that fit, 4 pairs of pants.
Will need long sleeves shirts, heavier jeans, long johns, at least one winter coat, one jacket.
Will be taking 9 pairs of jeans to a friend, maybe today.
1 leather dress coat, 1 long leather coat to her also.
But not before I replace them.
Weather here is screwy to Jim.
Got the yellow heads of dandelions peeking up the through the lush green grass.
Summer flowers are coming back up too. Silvia, Iris.
Nary a brown leaf in sight.
Normally everything is brown and depressing but everything is lush and green.
Supposed to start raining tonight and rain all weekend.
Air conditioner runs more at night than during the day lately.
All the laundry is washed, dried and put away.

Last edited:
Its been raining all week at both of our places. I was supposed to be teaching my sister to can but once again she "forgot" to buy the chicken. My old boss called this morning and asked if I could drive the volleyball team to the next city so I'm sitting here waiting for them to start playing. My new boss just called and asked if I can start on Monday.

My new boss just called and asked if I can start on Monday.

Did that swimsuit model job finally come through? Or did you decide to take that position as a contract killer? Oh, was I supposed to keep those job offers secret? My bad.

Well , got a knock on the door and heard trucks in my back yard about 11am,
Yep the tree service is here..2 weeks ahead of schedule...I'm good with that.

It's 11:10 am.
IMG_20190919_111852676.jpg
IMG_20190919_112425905.jpg
IMG_20190919_112517275.jpg

All done .
IMG_20190919_163719000.jpg

IMG_20190919_163647889.jpg

They cut at least 6 trees, cleaned up, and left at 1 pm , after admiring my caddy for 10 minutes.

Total job , 4 guys, and less than 2 hrs, $700.

Jim

I mentioned I got a new bed a few weeks ago and that instead of a box springs I got what’s called a “platform”. The platform is about 16 inches high leaving room to store things under the bed and most importantly to run a vacuum cleaner underneath. It’s nice to be able to get the dust bunnies.

The platform is a little odd. Down the long sides of the bed… there are corner posts at each end but an extra post in the middle for a total of 3. Down the short end of the bed, 2 corner posts and 2 extra posts in the middle separated by a few inches for a total of 4. The corner posts aren’t at the very corner, they are recessed about 5 inches diagonally.

So, down each side and the end there are 4 extra posts where no bed in my life time has had posts and the corner posts aren’t where they are supposed to be.

My toes have taken a beating the last few weeks… more than a beating, I think one toe is broken. There always seems to be a post where I don’t expect it. :mad:

Yesterday I bought 2” seat cushion foam at Wally’s. Today I used tie wraps (zip ties) to secure small pieces foam to each post… The comforters hang down so low no one will ever notice but my toes! :lil guy:

Bed Posts (1)_v1.jpg
Bed Posts (2)_v1.jpg

Finished all the animals. Waiting on husband, he's still sick. Don't think he'll make it to Hamfest tomorrow, so we're sending grandson with a friend. He'll be taking the daylong class for the Boy Scout radio badge. Romanian guy just came and bought all my extra eggs (13 dz). Tried to give him the "cute" silkie rooster on the porch, but Noooo. He's in a cage on the porch incase someone thinks he's cute. Too small to waste my time butchering. Old man cat is on my lap, and I'll need to kick him off, because I need to get the vacuuming and mopping done.

Fiddle farting around pretty much all day.
Nothing.
Helped grand daughter's dad get his girlfriends kids ready for school.
Went with him to drop them off, then we picked up grand daughter.
Went back to their house.
Came home, been crocheting got another blanket done.
Already started on the next one.
Congratulations Jim on A1C's.

Sat down with husband for a late lunch. Told him he needed a shower. Three days sick, but he's looking better. Went to our side yard, where we have 8 different chicken runs and flooded the runs. Our son's dog, Bodhi, is an incredible mouser. What the chickens didn't get, he did. He's fast. I lost track after 18 kills. He bites them, then lines then up on the grass. Our spitzhauben chickens are horrible mousers. They are next to our Jungle Fowl run and they are excellent hunters. I swear the Jungle Fowl were disgusted with all the mice the spitzhauben let go.
Need to grind a big bag of hot peppers I dehydrated for pepper powder. Filled the dehydrator with canned beans (that were expiring) for instant beans. Kidney and Lima.

Latest posts

Back