What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plantain... that will heal your cuts. Comfrey not so much and aloe not at all. You need to find an herbalist, I've put out feelers but honestly I don't know any herbalists in Australia and my friends probably won't either. Start running google searches on herbalists, herbal medicine and look for folks in your area. I know of someone with your condition in Colorado. She works in a herbal medicine shop and just got her brown belt in some form of karate. Herbal medicine can help you also.

There is a new treatment for knees now forgot what it is but no surgery. Something they insert with needle that grows new cartarage.'spl'
My knees go out sometimes, use my hubbys walker for awhile. Very painful if I don't get off them.

Are you talking about Synvisc (AKA hyaluronic acid)? Hyaluronic acid is a gel-like substance that helps cushion the cartilage in your knee when the cartilage is breaking down from a loss of normal lubricating fluid (synovial fluid) in the joint. It's made from chicken combs, and it is very similar to synovial fluid. It takes multiple injections and usually doesn't start working for a few weeks. In my case, it never worked at all. There is a new SynviscOne, which is only 1 injection, takes about a month to kick in and is supposed to last 6 months. This product doesn't create new cartilage, but it does cushion and protect the cartilage you have.

There is another product called Regenexx that is a stem cell product and it does regenerate cartilage. I don't know a lot about it, other than (a) they remove your bone marrow, extract the stem cells from it, and then inject the stem cells into the area needing regeneration and (b) it doesn't work on large areas of damaged cartilage, and my ortho docs don't think it is effective enough to use on knee or hip joints, and being in the middle of nowhere, it is not a technology my organization is likely to have any time soon. Honestly, I've not read all that much about it, other than when I was doing research before I had my second knee done last year.

I still get cortisone shots every 3 months in both knees. The Dr already said, my knees are shot and will require replacement, but insurance requires certain steps first. I have a friend who got the cartilage pad thingy injected and is doing wonderfully with it.
I get my next knee shot next month. Ortho said I might could get by with a partial replacement! O hope so! My right knee has been put back together 3 times and the left one twice. I'm kinda hard on my body!
Good luck with yours @CluelessKai and @Meerkat !

Ended up in the ED this morning.
*sigh*
I went to shut a window, tripped over my walking stick and put my hand through the glass window I was wanting to shut.
I got deep cuts but because of my bad reactions to LA and GA and steri strips won't adhere to my skin so they swaddled my hand in bandages and gauze.

It could have been a lot worse.
Praise GOD and my guardian angel has applied for stress leave and won't return my calls.
Thanks to God for Guardian Angels. I've wore out several of them myself. Prayers for your healing and future safety. Accidents happens no matter how careful we are.
smiley-stick.gif

I'm taking most of the day off today. I'll finish unloading a trailer of barn wood and tin roofing, then help Wifey catch up on laundry at the laundromat. Hopefully that's it! I'll let you know if it works or not! Lol!
funny-face.jpg

Catching up on yesterday we seasoned our 2 in 1 BBQ smoker and planted a 7mt row of dwarf green bean seeds in the gardens and watered them in.

Today I started off the morning with doing a load of washing and hanging it on the clothes line and we fertilised the veges, herbs and berries in the front yard and pulled a few weeds. We then headed 45 mins away to help some elderly friends and delivered a load of cow manure and helped unload it for them and had lunch with them, it was good to catch up. Got home and I took the washing off the clothes line and brought it in and DH just washed the dishes, cleaned the benches and I dried the dishes and put them away.

Shortly we shall have a nice warm shower and get into some warmish clothing as it is cooling down a bit at night now here although later in the week we are expecting high temperatures back again.

Last edited:
Are you talking about Synvisc (AKA hyaluronic acid)? Hyaluronic acid is a gel-like substance that helps cushion the cartilage in your knee when the cartilage is breaking down from a loss of normal lubricating fluid (synovial fluid) in the joint. It's made from chicken combs, and it is very similar to synovial fluid. It takes multiple injections and usually doesn't start working for a few weeks. In my case, it never worked at all. There is a new SynviscOne, which is only 1 injection, takes about a month to kick in and is supposed to last 6 months. This product doesn't create new cartilage, but it does cushion and protect the cartilage you have.

There is another product called Regenexx that is a stem cell product and it does regenerate cartilage. I don't know a lot about it, other than (a) they remove your bone marrow, extract the stem cells from it, and then inject the stem cells into the area needing regeneration and (b) it doesn't work on large areas of damaged cartilage, and my ortho docs don't think it is effective enough to use on knee or hip joints, and being in the middle of nowhere, it is not a technology my organization is likely to have any time soon. Honestly, I've not read all that much about it, other than when I was doing research before I had my second knee done last year.

Thanks for your professional take on this. I didn't know any of the things you just told us.

That's it, the Synvisc! Thank you! My friend has had good luck with it.

I need stitches but I have bad reactions to pain control to get the stitches and stick on stitches won't stick so that defeats their purpose.
That leaves gauze and bandages and keeping the hand still for 5 days so the wound can knit without pulling open.\It's not ideal but it's the best they can do.
I live by myself and I look upon this things as a mental challenge.
I out think the problem and come up with workable solutions.
The more it pushes the more I shove back.
They have skin glue they can use in place if stitches. Was that mentioned to you?

We are working on a 18' 1978 Jon boat. Trying to crank 1982 Johnson 65Hp OB. it turned over a few minutes ago. Hubby takes lots of breaks still getting over flu. I go out and supervise living arrangements. Still thinking of adding pontoons he is still saying no way in hades.
This free boat son drug here from Texas is not free. I've never seen so many ribbits since I left frame lien a GM where a mean foreman put me on ribit gun that took me up in the air everytime I used it connecting body to frame. He hated me for writing him up after I got my 90 days, had to make an enemy right off and a general foreman at that . I had such big muscles I would only wear long sleeves,it was embarassing,but it was good pay and got me and my kids away from SOS before I murdered him.

Its a cute little movie. One of my favs is ' Land Before Time ' which is also a cartoon type movie. Grandkids got me hooked on these.
My daughter used to own this movie when she was a young child. It was one of the movies that she watched many times. It had to be one of the many movies that I got rid of when I cleaned out VHS tapes.

I am helping my daughter return the car that they got back last week after 10 weeks in the shop. It had hail damage from a hail storm last spring. The damage to the car was $11,000, and they replaced the trunk lid, but didn't put the back up camera in. Car is going back to the shop to get the camera installed. I also need to get a new battery for my car. I am not sure if I can get that done today or not, but I need to so that I don't have to get it jump started.

I have turned the soil and added to it in most of the raised beds. I also made some 2x4 wire mesh tops for the raised beds to keep the cats and rabbits out. After I dry out I am going to service the transmissions in the two Mavericks, change the oil and tomorrow I will give them a tune-up. Oh, I need to swap out the winter tires for the summer tires. Studs are not going to be needed any more this year.

Work and chores. I do not like this 6 am shift.
There is a Christian rock concert I'll try to get the twins to tomorrow night, if I have the energy.
A gun show this weekend
I wanna go! I wanna go! Please Please Please!

Latest posts

Back