What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been busy trying to finish the home build, working on the built ins in the den. It’s getting close, and might be able,to move in the first week or two of January. Sidewalks and the pad outside the garage are in, and the stone around the exterior walls was installed.
View attachment 31319
Main headache now is that the cabinets were delivered and installed but were a dark gray instead of the white we ordered. The company did step up once we showed proof that we really had ordered what we said we did and we have a couple paths to get it right. The flooring and trim is done, painters in for the next couple weeks and then lighting and plumbing fixtures and it is time to move!

The last couple days I’ve been building cutting boards out of some scrap walnut and apiece of maple for Christmas presents. Those are simple and rewarding projects.
View attachment 31318

Very nice Dadio.

Acckkkkk, climate change!! The "White Death" falls:snowwindow: Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 6.55.56 PM.png

Been busy trying to finish the home build, working on the built ins in the den. It’s getting close, and might be able,to move in the first week or two of January. Sidewalks and the pad outside the garage are in, and the stone around the exterior walls was installed.
View attachment 31319
Main headache now is that the cabinets were delivered and installed but were a dark gray instead of the white we ordered. The company did step up once we showed proof that we really had ordered what we said we did and we have a couple paths to get it right. The flooring and trim is done, painters in for the next couple weeks and then lighting and plumbing fixtures and it is time to move!

The last couple days I’ve been building cutting boards out of some scrap walnut and apiece of maple for Christmas presents. Those are simple and rewarding projects.
View attachment 31318

Good lookin house Dadio.
Love the cutting board. That Apple really stands out against the Walnut. I've used Maple with Walnut before for a good look. May have to try Apple sometime too.

Church this morning and this evening. Tonight was Christmas music special and it was lovely! Made pork carnitas in the crockpot for dinner. Tomorrow is supposed to be rain all day so hopefully will stay home. Have a handyman coming in the morning for a leaky shower head and to estimate some other little jobs.

Haven't said anything, but I been kinda laying back since last Friday .
Last Thursday was my best day since new knee, great day , walking almost normal, no pain . Wonderful , very excited with progress.

Friday morning , I got up and was in pain, and couldn't walk, ,
Couldn't bend the knee, flex at all without much pain.
Range of motion near nothing. Painfully to walk or bend.

I have no clue why.:dunno:

So I been trying to work it out for 3 days now, it's better , but only half where I was Thursday.

The head of PT is coming tomorrow for evaluation, to determine if I need more PT or not.

Clueless. Disappointed.

Jim

Black squirrels have chased the Gray and Fox squirrels out of the County Seat. Since I'm always for the underdog, I'll declare war against any Blacks that show up on my property.

Looked out the front window and there dances a Black across my front yard! Shotgun I figure as I dial the safe open but then I decide the .22 rifle instead. Quietly step out the front door and...no Black. I'm scanning with my eyes when I see movement 10 feet up a tree. Black's head had popped out from behind a tree before disappearing behind the tree. I wait. Black's head again about 15 feet higher in the tree. He looks quick to see if I'm still there. He keeps the tree between him and me as he climbs higher. I'm on to his tactics! I estimate 75 feet up the tree he's lost sight of me or figures the height has him safe because he craws out on top of a limb. I put the green dot on center of mass, flip the safety off and slowly pull the trigger. Pop! He barks as he falls off the limb. Plop as he hits the ground, I hear another bark from him as he bounces behind the tree out of sight. I listen and watch. Nothing. I go back into the house to put the rifle away and exchange my house slippers for boots.

Back outside I go to bury the body. No body! I look around and find nothing. Stray cat couldn't have gotten it already? There he is! Laying on a limb about 15 feet up. The belly gun I'm carrying is loaded with expensive ammo, I really don't want to use it, before I can...plop! Squirrel has fallen to the ground again! Black lays there without a twitch. Stray cat that had followed me snatches the squirrel and drags it off. Solves the burying problem.

Last edited:
Haven't said anything, ...

...Clueless. Disappointed.

Jim

Bummer. Just a temporally set back!

Already picked collards, started laundry, walked my 2 miles, getting ready to make smoothie and wait for handyman to fix shower head. Didn't sleep well last night. DH is losing weight again and the antibiotics aren't clearing up his cough from lung infection with COPD. I will figure out how to get more high protein and calorie food in him.

Haven't said anything, but I been kinda laying back since last Friday .
Last Thursday was my best day since new knee, great day , walking almost normal, no pain . Wonderful , very excited with progress.

I have no clue why.:dunno:

So I been trying to work it out for 3 days now, it's better , but only half where I was Thursday.

The head of PT is coming tomorrow for evaluation, to determine if I need more PT or not.

Clueless. Disappointed.

Jim

Jim hoping the healing is soon and the pain gone.

Already picked collards, started laundry, walked my 2 miles, getting ready to make smoothie and wait for handyman to fix shower head. Didn't sleep well last night. DH is losing weight again and the antibiotics aren't clearing up his cough from lung infection with COPD. I will figure out how to get more high protein and calorie food in him.

Hope he gets better soon and we use organic appple juice for respirtory and it seems to work, guess a small glass can't hurt .:dunno:

Temporary is the key...
Yeah, I think so, some better today.
Slowly getting back to where I was.

Wish I knew what happened.

Oh well , PT suppose to be here today... haven't heard from her.

Jim

Good attitude. Positive thoughts = positive results. Just the same I will throw a prayer your way.

Narrowly averted a small crisis today. The keyboard quit working on my phone. It just disappeared and wouldn't come back. I had no way to text or type. I had to talk to the phone to be able to look up the way to fix it. After about an hour of frustration I got it back. Still not exactly sure how I got it back but, it had something to do with clearing the data from the keyboard app. I'm not sure if the spelling autocorrect works or not, so my next few posts may look kinda funny and there may be words that make no sense. Well, more words than usual, anyway...:D

Temporary is the key...
Yeah, I think so, some better today.
Slowly getting back to where I was.

Wish I knew what happened.

Oh well , PT suppose to be here today... haven't heard from her.

Jim
Stay the course, buddy. The knee will get better just like the other one. You got this.

Just been hanging out. Doing my normal things like cleaning or cooking,etc.

Had 2 inches of snow and then an ice storm roll through yesterday and evening. Its above freezing now and its starting to melt.
I have a couple of errands I have to get done this week so I'll have to wait until Thursday or maybe even tomorrow.
My pine trees are touching the ground
001.JPG

004.JPG

Spike might shut it completely off for a couple minutes every so often (maybe you already do). It resets things. My phone is older and I have to do that - when I remember or when aliens abduct it ???
I had to uninstall the keyboard app and then re-install it. It looks different now, and it functions a little different. I think maybe there was a glitch with a software update, and the re-install got the update to work. But I'm not a tech guy, so I might be full of crap, too...but whatever. It works now...

Yesterday DH's physiotherapy session went well and we stopped into the supermarket and got some watermelon to bring home as it was so hot we have been eating a lot of it. Then we popped into the home living store and got some quotes on air conditioning being installed in the house as it is just too hot here in summer and I also asked about a convection oven as they use less electricity. Turns out there was one on special and we purchased it and we will use this rather than the large electric oven to cook roasts, chips and a few other things and save the oven for big batch cooking.

We got home and then put on two beef roasts in the convection oven and they cook so much quicker by about a half an hour so a big savings in power right there. We had roast beef and cheese sandwiches followed by ice cream with a sprinkle of milo on top for dessert. DH watered the garden beds and hand watered the potted fruit trees and filled up the kangaroo and wallaby water for the day.

This morning we started off with DH stain removing some clothing, putting on a load of washing on the clothes line. I saved two watering cans full of grey water from the washing machine to water the fruit trees and rosemary plant we planted and filled up the kangaroo and wallaby water from the town water. The rest of the grey water we saved from the washing machine will be used to wash my car tomorrow morning. It was announced yesterday we are now on stricter water restrictions of 80 litres per person per day due to dropping town dam levels although our town runs on bore water so it is really starting to bite.

This afternoon just before sunset we pulled the spent corn and bean plants and gave them to the kangaroos/wallabies to munch on for something for them to eat and harvested turnips and a few tomatoes from the gardens. The turnips are now washed and in the fridge ready to blanch and freeze tomorrow. We then came inside and DH washed the dishes and cleaned the benches and I wiped the dishes and put them away.

DH then made some pasta salad and for dinner we had cold beef roast with pasta salad and I had the cherry tomatoes we picked from the gardens and dessert was ice-cream. Just sat down to pay both the electricity bill and purchased a gift voucher for fuel saving 5% off the cost or $9.96.

77 degrees yesterday... 42 on the porch this morning. It's cold out side! Off to the doctors office this morning. I'll stop for a sausage & egg biscuit on the way to town!
Wait...42 is cold??? You must be a long way South. It was 5 here the other night. It's going to around 40 for the next week, and everyone's excited about the unusual warm spell...

We had 104 Fahrenheit yesterday and 93.2 today so it is hot hot hot in Australia @Spikedriver .

It's crazy hot here today too. It was 15 degrees when I woke up and will peak out around 26 degrees! No one is even wearing coats or hats today.

It's crazy hot here today too. It was 15 degrees when I woke up and will peak out around 26 degrees! No one is even wearing coats or hats today.
You must not be that far from me, @Sentry18 . That's almost exactly what our forecast is here...

I'm wearing a hoodie. Too chilly for shirtsleeves...:D

Latest posts

Back