What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm always really nervous when I do a burn,
Usually 3 different fields .

Always have 3-4 people with me .

Good way to do it , the way yall did it.
t2027.gif

Jim

I'm always really nervous when I do a burn,
Usually 3 different fields .

Always have 3-4 people with me .
Good way to do it , the way yall did it.
t2027.gif

Jim

When my uncle retired he took a 32 hour class the forestry service gives. He is now certified by the state to do this kind of burning. He knows what he's doing and has all the proper tools... Easy, peezy... ;)

Last edited:
Made a trip to the city today and bought more lumber supplies (and food of course). We really did not need to go yet but we had to make a trip to the bank which is another 10 miles past the stores we shop at so an extra 20 miles round trip on top of the 130 round trip to the city. Glad to be home again.

Made a trip to the city today and bought more lumber supplies (and food of course). We really did not need to go yet but we had to make a trip to the bank which is another 10 miles past the stores we shop at so an extra 20 miles round trip on top of the 130 round trip to the city. Glad to be home again.

I'm glad your a happy country person, I'd go nuts that far away from the city.

Traffic, sirens and noise is music to my ears since I never hear any of it anymore. I'd love to be able to walk downtown Atlanta one more time, but it is too crime ridden now.
I like our place but miss the city too. I like coming home once we get away for a week or so.

Was chasing around a crazed mean Rhode Island Red Rooster this am before work, in my bathrobe, no less. I opened up a chicken run to feed them as soon as daylight hit, and he came full at me, so I stepped to the side. Of course, he kept right on charging, so I booted him. Chased him with a broom to try to get him back in the run, and gave up. I couldn't put our three chicken killing dogs outside till something was done with the rooster. Our son came by a while later and caught him. He will soon be a meal. Then grocery shopping, then work. I need to do chores and start making some banana bread, lemon bread, zucchini bread...we have Ham Radio Tech Fest this weekend and I bring the morning treats and do the registration/sign ins.
I've got 3 roos that need to meet that same fate. One follows me along the fence and comes at me every time I enter the fence.

Productive but tiring day.

It's pension day.
In one hand and out the other. LOL.
Paid bills on-line.
Brought 3 red stemmed sweet cassava plants on-line.
Brought bulk fuel for the car and ride-on (for when I fix it).
Went to a new little greengrocers I found and was surprised how cheap they were and high the quality was. They carried my purchases out to the car. I'm going back next pension day.
Did the bulk of my dry-stuff and household shop at the supermarket.
Got home and made a savings envelope for my dehydrator purchase.It's time I got serious about putting the money aside.
I'm seeing fantastic prices for fruit and veggies and I'm missing out on stocking up my store cupboards with them because I don't have room in the freezer
and I don't have empty canning jars left AND I don't have a dehydrator. Talk about frustrating!!

@Tank-Girl glad you found a cheaper greengrocer than the one you usually go to, any savings we can find on our income is always good :). Good on you for saving up gradually for the dehydrator too, which brand did you have in mind ?.

It's a 10 tray no-name brand on Ebay BUT it has a glass door and stainless steel wire shelves and a metal body.
I don't like the idea of my food being in or on heated plastic.
It looks like an Excalibur (spl?) knock-off but it does have a 800 watt motor which is larger than most cheap dehydrators that I looked at.

@Tank-Girl we are trying to pull back some unexpected expenditure on a new mattress being $1199 for our bed as the last one collapsed which we took out of our emergency fund and also buying our bulk grocery voucher as well which has temporarily put us over budget in a few categories. Now to pay back the emergency fund and get our house deposit saving back in line again.

@Tank-Girl we are trying to pull back some unexpected expenditure on a new mattress being $1199 for our bed as the last one collapsed which we took out of our emergency fund and also buying our bulk grocery voucher as well which has temporarily put us over budget in a few categories. Now to pay back the emergency fund and get our house deposit saving back in line again.

It's a real bear when life throws these curve balls at us.
Thank goodness for emergency funds or there would real anxiety.
You and DH are some of the most financially disciplined people I know of.
You'll be back on track in no time flat.

@Tank-Girl that was the one I was looking at too, when you get it can you let me know how you go with it and whether it works well ?. Does it have a fan in it to distribute the air around for even drying ?, as I read they were more efficient.

Yes it does.
It's located at the back and slightly lower than midway down.

I don't want a round one that blows hot air from the bottom and they're plastic.

@Tank-Girl thanks for your encouragement and we are strict on ourselves financially as we need to save for the house.

Okay shall check that one out as I don't like plastic shelves or bodies either as the plastic becomes brittle and you never know what chemicals the plastics are leaching out either and good it has a fan too. Planning, planning but seriously wondering if we can get it to fit in the cottage anywhere.

Our son found a replacement rooster for me on Craig's list today. It's an Americauna with some lavender. He traded for it with a young silkie hen, and then the lady bought another silkie hen for $20. Good trade. Mean rooster is in a kennel waiting for his slaughter turn.
Ended up working till 7 tonight, but assistant was sick. Not fun hours. We are supposed to be dieting, but came home and see husband has ordered sushi and has a 4 pack of his favorite IPA in the fridge. Thinking I'll stick to the smoothie.

Our son found a replacement rooster for me on Craig's list today. It's an Americauna with some lavender. He traded for it with a young silkie hen, and then the lady bought another silkie hen for $20. Good trade. Mean rooster is in a kennel waiting for his slaughter turn.
Ended up working till 7 tonight, but assistant was sick. Not fun hours. We are supposed to be dieting, but came home and see husband has ordered sushi and has a 4 pack of his favorite IPA in the fridge. Thinking I'll stick to the smoothie.
A sushi and IPA smoothie? Doesn't sound to appetizing to me!
1517894857322_image.jpg

Our youngest daughter called about 5:00am with a bad migraine. We had to drive to Lexington(45minutes) and my wife took her to the ER for shots while I got to stay and color and play Barbies with the 4 year old. Then we stuck around till the other three got home from school and goofed around till time for bedtime and came home. I'm pooped!
Capture+_2017-12-28-06-13-55.png

Our youngest daughter called about 5:00am with a bad migraine. We had to drive to Lexington(45minutes) and my wife took her to the ER for shots while I got to stay and color and play Barbies with the 4 year old. Then we stuck around till the other three got home from school and goofed around till time for bedtime and came home. I'm pooped!View attachment 4474

Such a good dad/grandpa.:ghostly:

A couple weeks ago we made a doggie door thru screen door on porch . So now no more playing doorman for dogs. I put weights on bottom of screen but of course they fell off since I was in a hurry and di a bad sewing job. But it works good anyway screen flops back into place .

Plus since old dog has trouble with steps we now have a ramp in case we need it for walker or wheelchair .

Our old dog is having trouble with the steps also. Wanted dh to put in a ramp when they built the deck but noooo. Hopefully, one of these days!

I would love to see a pic of the rooster. And any other live poultry pix you want to share.

Our old dog is having trouble with the steps also. Wanted dh to put in a ramp when they built the deck but noooo. Hopefully, one of these days!

We are putting in a ramp vs steps on our new house. I don't know how much longer my legs and back will last. Guess I'll learn to crawl again when they go!
old-turtle.jpg

Earlier this evening I spent 10 minutes searching for a replacement locking pin for my Ahrens snow blower because apparently my son "borrowed" the one from the left axle / tire. Then I spent 45 minutes snow blowing the 4" of snow from my driveway and sidewalks. Which seems like a waste because we will probably have another 2-3" by morning. But sometimes doing it twice when it's easy is less work than doing it once when it's going to be a lot heavier. Plus now my son owes me a chore since that is his job and he was out on a date with his girlfriend.

Latest posts

Back