What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay @phideaux. we are overdue for an update. :waiting:
You noticed too huh? I was wondering about him last night.... Bout time to give him a call.

I didn't do a whole lot. The other day I grabbed the chainsaw to make one little cut. Noticed the chain was dragging like a brake was on. Today I almost never got the clutch cover off. My great nephew had put the cover on and somehow managed to wedge the slip ring into the clutch, don't ask, I have no idea how he did that... Lets just say he obviously doesn't know how to fix fences or put the clutch cover on a chainsaw.

Now the ring is wedged in place, I couldn't get it to loosen to slip around the clutch or get the cover back on... Have to take it to town Monday and have the chainsaw guy look at it. I have other business with the guy so thats okay, two birds...

Last edited:
I hope Jim is Ok.
Last night the air conditioner stopped working. I tossed & turned trying to keep from overheating all night. Mom's dog opened the door & let cats in. It took them awhile to get the hint that I didn't want them sleeping on me. Fat orange cat ended up sleeping while hugging my Beanie Baby owl (which I have in a cloth sack to protect it). I didn't get to sleep until morning & then slept until after 3:30pm. Was absolutely drenched in sweat. Went to take a shower & water wouldn't come on. Pulled the handle apart & the damn cartridge is jammed. It won't turn. Same problem happened to the hot water one awhile back so I've been taking cold showers & washing my hair in the kitchen sink.
Thought maybe it was the capacitor in the outside unit dying again (they overheat and bloat). Couldn't get to the unit because of blackberry bushes & was too hot to start cutting them. But I could her the unit running so it must be something else. Didn't think cooking in the heat was a good idea. It was 88° in the coolest part of the house & my room is the hottest part of the house. The good news is, it cooled off more. Last I checked it was down to 80°. Not sure if it's bc it got dark & cooled off outside or if it's because I put the cap back on a pvc pipe near the AC. Cap got knocked off & lost so I put taped a bottle cap on. Within 10 minutes it started cooling. I hope that was the fix.
Made a run to Walmart to get Assurance body wipes (Mom uses them all the time anyway & we were out) & see if there was anything in the deli dept but deli was closed. Mom requested burger king whoppers so I got them for her.
The heat has made my brain not work well. My friend is going to come over tomorrow and cut the weeds around the AC since I can't be out in the sun and heat. It got so hot inside that my hands and fingers were swelling.
My friend has offered to let me come over to shower at his house. I'll take him up on that offer soon-- probably after I help him with some more minor revisions to his kitchen-- need to get those toekick trim thingies cut & stained. Waiting on some blades for my oscillating tool (the ones that fit my B&D one aren't in stock at local stores) to arrive in mail but they won't come until June. Will have to see if the Dremel will make the cuts on the shims under the cabinets. I did pick out some good baseboard & shoe molding that my friend liked. Will pre-cut, miter, & stain those before final installation.
Monday we will go to U-auto-pullit to look at junked vehicles for parts for a "new" vehicle he just got. Traded his bed & mattress for the car. It's a Saturn Aura which is pretty much identical & has same parts as Chevy Malibu. There are a bunch of malibus at the junk lot & 1 of them is the right color & only been there 39 days.

UPDATE: Heard a loud crash & breaking glass in the kitchen. Went out just in time to see one of my cats exiting an upper cabinet & saw the two very end cabinet doors were open. On the opposite end it there was shattered glass all over the countertop. A mix of translucent pink glass & some large chunks of clear glass. Now, we have stuff piled up so it's hard to get over there & I had to squeeze between a small space. I used to be able to get through just fine but since I put on weight it was a tight squeeze & I almost didn't make it through. Got hung up on a chair. Got in there and swept all the glass off the counter in to a dust pan & dumped it into a bag in a box. moved some stuff around. Mom had this set of a marble rolling pin, marble cutting board/rolling surface, & marble mortar & pestle. The pin & mortar were fine but a corner had been knocked off the cutting board. I'm hoping it can be glued back on. The Pestle broke years ago and was glued back together. Lighting in that room without the sunlight is horrible so I couldn't really see the floor well enough to sweep it up (plus I'd left the broom on the other side of the room). I'll have to revisit it in the morning once I get a good pair of gloves. Tried going for stuff on the floor & ended up with a few minor cuts and glass splinters bc I couldn't see what I was grabbing at. I think the pink was a 30+yr old bowl or plate that mom had. I always hated it so I'm not sorry to see it go, but she was upset. I need to install magnetic locks on all of the doors to keep cats from opening them. We also need to get rid of the kitchen table as we never eat at the table anymore, never have dinner guests, & it is taking up too much space & is in the way. It's currently a spot where stuff gets piled on.
I hope my shop vac has enough power to get up the tiny glass shards that are almost like powder, but I'm going to try a damp paper towel first.

Last edited:
The wifey and I sat and visited for awhile this morning as she had some (yuck) coffee, now everyone is getting cleaned up and dressed for the day. Soon we will have online church followed by some family time and lunch. After lunch we are going to watch the movie "I still believe" in the home theater and then will relocate to the patio. We are going to have a "goodminton" tournament and then we are going to grill some sausages and eat outside. After that I am sure the kids will all disappear and the wife and I will just slowly watch the day disappear. We have not had that much quiet time lately.

The Mrs. has been busy lately as she is enhancing her side business making & selling designer candles. It started out as hobby and then became a full on mini production facility set up in her craft room. At the urging of her customers, especially the ones who wanted orders beyond the capacity of her and her employees (aka daughters), she is now ready to take it to the next level. My only role is that of investor. I had sold some stock before the market slide and liquidated some other assets in order to buy up stock when it was at rock bottom prices. Instead I gave the money to her and told her I wanted a nice return on my investment down the road. I am sure it will be wildly successful. The one thing she definitely learned from her Dad was how to turn an idea into money.

Glad to know you're OK Jim.
I heard a second crash after I cleaned up the glass & found that Senator Snugglebum had gotten in to the cabinets again & knocked something out. Fortunately it didn't break. I lured him out and then tied the doors shut by the handles as best as I could. They can still pop open a bit, but the cats would have to consistently hold them open to slip in. Itsy could probably do it, but I don't think the others would. Hoping not anyway. Need to get magnetic catches. My mother claims she bought some & says she showed them to me but I have no idea WTHeck she's talking about.
It's now 70° in the house. My mother is bundled up. I'm happy with that temperature, but Mom wants it at 75° or 76°. Thing is, I can't see the damn thermostat well enough to mess with it. Between my diminishing eyesight & the poor lighting (I need to change out the bulb to a brighter one) I can't read anything other than the current temperature. I need a backlit one one of these days.
I ordered the tub for the guest bathroom from Lowes because it was in stock & the military discount applied automatically. I also ordered the shower & wallset for my mother because it came back in to stock & the discount applied. It helped to offset the 10% sales tax. Trying to remember if I ordered the wallset for the tub from HD. I don't think I did yet, but I need to while it's still in stock. Got a migraine & am feeling nauseous.
But at least I got some stuff ordered & can go pick it up.
Haven't heard from my friend who was supposed to come cut weeds today, but I think it's his daughter's birthday so they are having a party for her (but not inviting guests).

First, I watered gardens early this morning, then did two videos, then went to Dollar General for something I forgot yesterday. Came home and watched Church on you tube, messed around in the garden pulling weeds training cukes up fence and re-directing watermelon plants. Also trying to find something to tie tomatoes to until I can find stakes. Went out front and finished dead heading rose garden. Next, I will make 3 bean salad and maybe a sugar free jello dessert. Having a hard time sitting still today.

Glad you're good, Jim.
We had a showing at 11 am of the house, turned out it was the same guy from yesterday looking again. Then 2 more showings, and our last one of the day is in 2 more hours. Husbands got his shingles shot, and I got takeout deli and we sat in the park and ate for awhile. With our security system, we can see when they come and go. Our little village's farmers mkt opened today, with about 1/4 the vendors, spaced way apart, so we walked through that (followed the arrows and wore masks). Bought a 1/2 gal of honey, a lb of beeswax, some bison jerkey and kombucha for the kids. Now back home, went to unchain the dogs, but was greated by a lg bullsnake that our son's dog wanted to take out. Poked at him a bit to make him leave so we could let the dogs off their chains. So, we have a little time to kick back, then go through the hide the coffee pot in the bathroom, do the dishes we are using now, chain the dogs up again, put the cat away, open the gates, etc, etc. This is hard work. Didn't get anything done. Hoping the pilot guy who came back again today (and stayed an hr this time) might make an offer. His agent says he's been looking for a year. And it's just one person, for a five bedroom house?

So I just wonder if anyone else has a brooder chicken that have chicken's, sits in nest all day. White wing which is a Barred Rock mix Rhode Island red , who want to sit on eggs all day? Took her off eggs and got them this morning then this evening she is back in nest sitting still with no eggs.:dunno:

1590968110467.png

Tilled my upper bed, cukes, maters, peppers. Replanted okra, first round mostly never came up. Fertilized the maters, peppers, and onions. Hoed weeds in the upper bed after fertilizing. Planted 4 rows of peaches and cream corn. My great northern beans I planted last week are coming up too.
After all that I started putting my drip irrigation system together. Ran out of fittings, and didn't order the tubing I wanted to use on my maters. I'll be ordering that tomorrow. That's enough for today

Tilled my upper bed, cukes, maters, peppers. Replanted okra, first round mostly never came up. Fertilized the maters, peppers, and onions. Hoed weeds in the upper bed after fertilizing. Planted 4 rows of peaches and cream corn. My great northern beans I planted last week are coming up too.
After all that I started putting my drip irrigation system together. Ran out of fittings, and didn't order the tubing I wanted to use on my maters. I'll be ordering that tomorrow. That's enough for today

You were busy. :) You said you planted cream corn is that different than regular corn? I thought they make it out of regular corn.:dunno:

Peaches and Cream corn. It's a supersweet hybrid varitey. I'll have to put a electric fence around it to keep the turkeys out of it. I planted the corn next to my melons so I'll fence them in as well.

Yep last 2 days have been jam packed. Back to work tomorrow. I'm still so far behind from being sick all winter and part of spring I can't get caught up. And I am one tired puppy tonight.

Peaches and Cream corn. It's a supersweet hybrid varitey. I'll have to put a electric fence around it to keep the turkeys out of it. I planted the corn next to my melons so I'll fence them in as well.

Yep last 2 days have been jam packed. Back to work tomorrow. I'm still so far behind from being sick all winter and part of spring I can't get caught up. And I am one tired puppy tonight.

I bet you are , all you keep doing. So that is a sweet corn right?

Latest posts

Back