What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doogan don't like playing with anything he can't shred.

Jim
Neither does Whisky. I've lost track of how many headphones she's eaten. Between her and the kid I'm lucky if I can find some with one working side and the little silicone ear piece.

Doogan don't like playing with anything he can't shred.

Jim
Our 2 Pitbulls are the same way. And that includes any critters they kill inside the fence.
Bandit chewed up the siding on the house when he was younger. Oh boy he got his butt smacked for that! His dog momma would've nipped him good if he did something wrong so I just smack their butts. Same thing lol
He's grown out of that but we have noticed that the corners of the new steps are "rounded off". Guess he doesn't want any sharp corners lol
The only "toy" we found they can't destroy is a bowling ball. Seriously.
When they were pups they girded my cherry tree, destroyed my herb garden, killed my raspberry bush, ripped down some of my blackberry bush's stems, did the same on my Rose Of Sharon and a lower limb of an apple tree

But we love them 🙄 😃

Hey Sentry 18,
Have a good vacation.
Jim, I also like your new picture.
Meerkat, what does the young man want to do?
That's a hard decision.
Hopefully everything works out.

Everything his parents don't want him to do at the time:D.

Till he injured his arm last year he wanted to be a boxer,before that a pro baseball pitcher and he was a great pticher all coaches wanted him on their team but he injured arm and can't pitch doc says he will never pitch pro ball. So its boxing. Not going to happen if they can stop it.
@MoBookworm1957 what do you think about the military acadamy?

Last edited:
Went to beach yesterday FINALLY! Was great to be out again and see the water an sand.
We had no AC what so ever the full day, the van acted like it wanted to throw a belt so left AC off.So now I know how it use ot feel to be without AC on trips and in traffic, not fun but doable surprised me. Dogs hated it and missed the AC more than we did.

Heading the 90 miles to town to pick up one of the kids prescriptions some dog food and my Bountiful Baskets order.
I have been on Bountiful Baskets mailing list for a few years, but for me to order and pick up, it is many miles away. I could start a pick up site somewhere closer to home, but just haven't done anything with it. I suppose trying to place an order where I have to go pickup would give me more insight. I have thought that since the virus has been around, food coops might be more of an interest again, since people are buying more in bulk, it seems.

Everything his parents don't want him to do at the time:D.

Till he injured his arm last year he wanted to be a boxer,before that a pro baseball pitcher and he was a great pticher all coaches wanted him on their team but he injured arm and can't pitch doc says he will never pitch pro ball. So its boxing. Not going to happen if they can stop it.
@MoBookworm1957 what do you think about the military acadamy?
Hopefully he will adjust to his new living situation.

@Meerkat , I've known people who sent their children to military school. I worked with an African American woman whose child had behavioral issues and when he was in h.s., they sent him. It seemed to change the direction he was headed in. Another colleague had known him from scouts and said he was a different person after military school, and had been a terror prior.
There is a young man in his early 20's who frequents one of the dog parks I go to. He is a military school graduate. He told me it saved his life.

Strawberry and I have been outside several times today.
She had to go stir up a hornet's nest by digging in the dirt.
Literally dug into a ground hornets nest.
Thankfully she didn't get stung too badly.
I also looked up Bountiful Baskets but they are on the other end of the state from me.
I'm up by KCMO and they're down by Tarkio and Columbia Mo.
I'll just stick with my CSA boxes.
Sent pictures to Lady Locust and Jim some of the cross stitch blocks.
Still got dishes to do.
Then going to rest.

@Meerkat , I've known people who sent their children to military school. I worked with an African American woman whose child had behavioral issues and when he was in h.s., they sent him. It seemed to change the direction he was headed in. Another colleague had known him from scouts and said he was a different person after military school, and had been a terror prior.
There is a young man in his early 20's who frequents one of the dog parks I go to. He is a military school graduate. He told me it saved his life.

My daughter and SIL watched the the video I put up and daughter loved it!She said she hadn't seen that one and she is a huge Christian belivershe ask in prayer for everyting .

More good news she told me this morning her prayers were answered again when her daughter got the kids back although the two hate filled court appointees said no the jufge overruled the commies! FULL CUSTODY!!! All get theri lives back unless she messes up but we are praying she doesn't and a tremendous change has come over her in pasy 9 months of total no drugs at all, passed all test for 9 mon.s. :lil guy::clapping:.

Kids were jumping up and down playing ring around rosie and screamign we are going back to mommy. Mother went straight pick them up 50 miles away at daughters house.

Anyone who will pray this works for daughters family.

My husband said that the military tears you down and rebuilds you into a man. And its seems like thats the truth.
Sounds like thats what the academys do too

WV Dragon, we sure do hope so because the kid is strong willed but so far no real troublr just needs to get help before he is in real trouble.Thanks you for your opnion I worry about giving her the wrong advice.

Good idea or not a good idea,your opinion?
In some cases it turns the child's life around toward the better.
As WV Dragonlady has said; Some military academies will tear the cadets down to rebuild them in to better men and women. Who do wonderful in life.
But in some cases it does not help the child and they don't fair well at the academy.
As for my opinion, I have not talked to your grandson, nor do I know your grandson personally.
I also know almost nothing about that particular Military Academy.
I have read glowing reviews about it, but I have tendency to dig a little deeper than the glowing reviews.
Because if I am trusting them with something so precious as my grandchild, I would want to read all the reviews.
The glowing reviews, good reviews and the bad reviews, I would read them all.
My best advice is to go visit the Academy, look around the campus, check out the village near the school.
See how the people in town act towards the Cadets and vice versa.
This way you will make an informed decision.
That's the best advice I can give.
Oh, yeah, take the grandson when you go after all he's the one that will living there, not you, your daughter.
But him.

In some cases it turns the child's life around toward the better.
As WV Dragonlady has said; Some military academies will tear the cadets down to rebuild them in to better men and women. Who do wonderful in life.
But in some cases it does not help the child and they don't fair well at the academy.
As for my opinion, I have not talked to your grandson, nor do I know your grandson personally.
I also know almost nothing about that particular Military Academy.
I have read glowing reviews about it, but I have tendency to dig a little deeper than the glowing reviews.
Because if I am trusting them with something so precious as my grandchild, I would want to read all the reviews.
The glowing reviews, good reviews and the bad reviews, I would read them all.
My best advice is to go visit the Academy, look around the campus, check out the village near the school.
See how the people in town act towards the Cadets and vice versa.
This way you will make an informed decision.
That's the best advice I can give.
Oh, yeah, take the grandson when you go after all he's the one that will living there, not you, your daughter.
But him.

:Thankyou:[ like pulling teeth]:D.
Since your military and a mother I wanted your opinion too. And it was a good opinion and well thought out.

She has been doing exactly as you said,she is setting up appt,has checked all sites for negative reviews and positive. Her her spoues his dad will be going to campas to check it out in next couple days or week and bringin the boy too.

:Thankyou:[ like pulling teeth]:D.
Since your military and a mother I wanted your opinion too. And it was a good opinion and well thought out.

She has been doing exactly as you said,she is setting up appt,has checked all sites for negative reviews and positive. Her her spoues his dad will be going to campas to check it out in next couple days or week and bringin the boy too.
You might see if you can find a Military Boot Camp for troubled youth in your area for the summer.
This will do two things at least:
It will give your grandson a taste of life to come if he is accepted into the Academy.
And you will get a first hand experience of what he will be going through too.
But by all means check out the Academy, do your research on the Academy.
Check out the financial stability of the Academy.

You might see if you can find a Military Boot Camp for troubled youth in your area for the summer.
This will do two things at least:
It will give your grandson a taste of life to come if he is accepted into the Academy.
And you will get a first hand experience of what he will be going through too.
But by all means check out the Academy, do your research on the Academy.
Check out the financial stability of the Academy.

I think she already did but thats anothrr good ifea,hubby is really good with the boy, he loves his Poppy more than me. All the grands do, but he is the nice one and I'm the 1st,Sgt.But we have taught them lots of things and now older they remember and thank me.When you have 6 kids all summer and all holidays you don't explain why you just give orders,lol.
He was more into explaining since he wasn't with them all day he had to work.
We were also lucky to be grandparents at young age I was just 37 my first one and very healthy.

Great the grandkids are going to mom, Meer! Bet both mom and grandma are happy.
I unpacked a ton this morning, picked up mom for the day. Daughter had phone court in NM, and the creeper that beat here senseless has to stay away from her for a year. Another court date in 3 months where he needs to pay her hospital bills. I wish they would of locked him up, but doesn't happen in NM much. Neighbor just came by with a large box of yummy garden produce. She's a sweetheart, and they are expecting baby #2 in December. Took mom to the little farmer's mkt, and out for icecream, and brought her home. Still have a pod to unpack (#5) and #6 arrives Monday. Husband and I have to be in Denver later in the month for his medical (Hi Weedy) and I confirmed one of my cousins's daughters to stay with the kids while we're gone, so that's a relief. Have family popping in for breakfast and a "work frolic" tomorrow at 9 a.m., so I need things set up and readied tonight. Still have a whole building full of boxes. Ugh.

I made a cube cubby thing for my new kittens. I got some sort of wire stackable/modular unit thing and only used enough pieces to make a cube with an open front. I used the clips that came with the cube for the bottom but I used zip ties to secure it & to attach the top. I hand-sewed some panels out of felt & plush microfiber with some 1/4" foam inside as padding to cover the sides & back. Top I did all in felt. Bottom I left unupholstered but I covered a thick cardboard piece in foam & felt to reinforce the bottom and then I made a 1" thick cushion out of sherpa fleece and the microfiber plush fabric. I sewed shoelaces on the back corners to use to secure it inside the cube. I also used a plastic grid from a "washable" HVAC filter that broke. I made a front for their cube. My brother held it up inside their cage while I zip-tied it in place & they love it. I used scraps of felt for the front so it looks rough. My dog tried to steal the microfiber fabric to use as a blanket so I've put it in a plastic bin.

My friend is still having bad luck. He's still trying to get over his stomach bug, his boss wants him to come back to work but he has to show a copy of his covid rest results but the place that did the test didn't keep the data & won't print out a copy for him, & then he broke a tooth & exposed a nerve. I had to pick him up from the hospital the other night and then took him to the dentist twice (once for an exam & to get diagnosed- they gave him antibiotics). I got him some hydrogen peroxide to help clear it up as well. This morning I had to get up very early to take him for the dental surgery. Took about an hour.

I went to Lowes for about 30min and then sat in the truck playing on the PCH app while my phone charged. (Lowes was in the same strip mall area as the dentist). I tried to get some info about doors & windows from the employees but they completely ignored me when I tried to talk to them. Not sure WTHeck their problems were, but I decided it wasn't worth my time & I can go to a different store. Tried to go to Samsclub afterward but there was a line to get in and it was 97°. At least I got some plumbing supplies though. The previous time when my friend went to the dentist I got some advice from a plumber who'd just retired after 40years (due to health reasons, he couldn't physically do a lot of the stuff anymore-- said he'd just had a hernia operation). He said he was impressed that I knew exactly what I was looking for and that I'd researched things. It was a better experience than talking to the alleged contractor today. Guy was buying a bunch of those accordion P-traps. He said he loves them and uses them in customer's homes all the time. I stopped myself from saying I felt sorry for his customers bc that is a crappy product to use-- it's not self-scouring so it doesn't meet plumbing code & it also tears easily.

The new kittens have had their first round of shots. Namir kept spitting the worming pill out so I had to give him liquid medicine for a few days. Someone at the vet's office ran a vacuum while he was being examined & he panicked. Temjin stayed pretty calm though.

Meanwhile, I've become fascinated with old style wagons/carriages & am designing one that I hope to make a scale model of out of cardboard and/or Popsicle sticks. Although, I need to do more productive stuff before I do more craft stuff. I'm working on a sketch in MS Paint.

Wire cube (sans top)
catcubbywirecrop.jpg
Upholstered frame
catcubbycubecrop.jpg
cushion
catcushionblacksidecrop.jpgcatcushionwhitesidecrop.jpg
Finished cube
catcubbyfinished1crop.jpg
Cube in the cage (can't get the proper angle to photo the front of it)
Namir&Temjinkittycube-July11-2020-1.jpg

I unpacked a ton this morning, picked up mom for the day. Daughter had phone court in NM, and the creeper that beat here senseless has to stay away from her for a year. Another court date in 3 months where he needs to pay her hospital bills. I wish they would of locked him up, but doesn't happen in NM much. Neighbor just came by with a large box of yummy garden produce. She's a sweetheart, and they are expecting baby #2 in December. Took mom to the little farmer's mkt, and out for icecream, and brought her home. Still have a pod to unpack (#5) and #6 arrives Monday. Husband and I have to be in Denver later in the month for his medical (Hi Weedy) and I confirmed one of my cousins's daughters to stay with the kids while we're gone, so that's a relief. Have family popping in for breakfast and a "work frolic" tomorrow at 9 a.m., so I need things set up and readied tonight. Still have a whole building full of boxes. Ugh.

Yes it is, everytime they had supervised visitation with their mother they cried to stay.Daughter will still have to spend Sunday nights at her daughters house so she can work nights that day.
The court witch and wizard make it harder for her to find daytime job because of theri demands on daily visits to their anti conservative asses.They hate my grandsaughter and her mother. Always throw up she helps her daughter and wants to put kids in foster care,makes oen wonder why they want kids in foster?.:devil:One of the other girls in program does witches hair and other things for her.They sit aand talk about G to her face," your mommy gives you eveything ",not true she made them both had chores and was strictor than she i with 15yr old 'change of life' son.
Anyway the mean ones will be in her life for 9 more months since it is 18 mo.program.Daughter said its not all theri fault for this, she left 1st program and got back on drugs so its her fault more than anyone. But many of her clients haave robbed, shot and pushed drugs but they are excused because they had a bad life and bad parents as she puts it.

I made a cube cubby thing for my new kittens. I got some sort of wire stackable/modular unit thing and only used enough pieces to make a cube with an open front. I used the clips that came with the cube for the bottom but I used zip ties to secure it & to attach the top. I hand-sewed some panels out of felt & plush microfiber with some 1/4" foam inside as padding to cover the sides & back. Top I did all in felt. Bottom I left unupholstered but I covered a thick cardboard piece in foam & felt to reinforce the bottom and then I made a 1" thick cushion out of sherpa fleece and the microfiber plush fabric. I sewed shoelaces on the back corners to use to secure it inside the cube. I also used a plastic grid from a "washable" HVAC filter that broke. I made a front for their cube. My brother held it up inside their cage while I zip-tied it in place & they love it. I used scraps of felt for the front so it looks rough. My dog tried to steal the microfiber fabric to use as a blanket so I've put it in a plastic bin.

My friend is still having bad luck. He's still trying to get over his stomach bug, his boss wants him to come back to work but he has to show a copy of his covid rest results but the place that did the test didn't keep the data & won't print out a copy for him, & then he broke a tooth & exposed a nerve. I had to pick him up from the hospital the other night and then took him to the dentist twice (once for an exam & to get diagnosed- they gave him antibiotics). I got him some hydrogen peroxide to help clear it up as well. This morning I had to get up very early to take him for the dental surgery. Took about an hour.

I went to Lowes for about 30min and then sat in the truck playing on the PCH app while my phone charged. (Lowes was in the same strip mall area as the dentist). I tried to get some info about doors & windows from the employees but they completely ignored me when I tried to talk to them. Not sure WTHeck their problems were, but I decided it wasn't worth my time & I can go to a different store. Tried to go to Samsclub afterward but there was a line to get in and it was 97°. At least I got some plumbing supplies though. The previous time when my friend went to the dentist I got some advice from a plumber who'd just retired after 40years (due to health reasons, he couldn't physically do a lot of the stuff anymore-- said he'd just had a hernia operation). He said he was impressed that I knew exactly what I was looking for and that I'd researched things. It was a better experience than talking to the alleged contractor today. Guy was buying a bunch of those accordion P-traps. He said he loves them and uses them in customer's homes all the time. I stopped myself from saying I felt sorry for his customers bc that is a crappy product to use-- it's not self-scouring so it doesn't meet plumbing code & it also tears easily.

The new kittens have had their first round of shots. Namir kept spitting the worming pill out so I had to give him liquid medicine for a few days. Someone at the vet's office ran a vacuum while he was being examined & he panicked. Temjin stayed pretty calm though.

Meanwhile, I've become fascinated with old style wagons/carriages & am designing one that I hope to make a scale model of out of cardboard and/or Popsicle sticks. Although, I need to do more productive stuff before I do more craft stuff. I'm working on a sketch in MS Paint.

Wire cube (sans top)
View attachment 46608
Upholstered frame
View attachment 46606
cushion
View attachment 46609View attachment 46610
Finished cube
View attachment 46607
Cube in the cage (can't get the proper angle to photo the front of it)
View attachment 46605

Zanne What kind of cats are those?Nice job on the cat cave.

Roo and I have been doing a dance exercise dvd in the mornings together. She likes dancing so I asked her to do it with me. Since we are exercising together she has pushed K to go with us on a family walk after dinner. I am sore but I feel good. I did tweak my knee this morning moving things around but nothing some ice, a heating pad and a brace/sleeve won't fix. The workout is helping to calm Roo too. She is more willing to sit and read for HOURS after 30 minutes of exercise. ::happy dance::

I have been pushing to get our first aid supplies up to date and adding to our animal first aid kit. Having the right supplies for our over active dogs can save us in vet bills. Winter has broken out of the yard a total of three times in the past 2 weeks. It seems to be when we leave to run errands. Now I have to wait til K gets home to run my errands if the stores are open. But while breaking out of the yard Winter has scratched up her elbow, her muzzle and most recent above her eye. No need for stitches if you have vetbond in the first aid kit.

Since Winter literally broke the fence to escape we had to get some new fence boards. When we went to the lumber yard for the boards she got out! She moved a cinderblock to get out and look for us. She ended up at the end of our street with a family with kids! They were in love with her by the time I got there to pick her up. At least she is helping us meet the neighbors. (we all know I am not social if I can help it)

This weekend I have a dentist appointment but after that I am going to work my butt off to finish painting the dresser and get the school room ready.

Took 2 dogs to vet for nail clip. CDC has new rules so we couldn't go in with them. Oreo (corgi) wouldn't let them put muzzle on and was going after them (techs and one doc). No problem when we were there. Doc says he is dangerous to us and needs training. Oreo and I will start leash training on concrete tomorrow to fix both problems.

I have worked with a lot of corgis in my day. Stubborn dogs to be sure. Try working with him to lay down and stay. Winter and Summer are corgi mixes and Summer has issues with her nails being trimmed with a grinder/sander. She prefers the clippers but only when I get her to lay on her side and calm down. Winter only allows us to use the grinder on her nails. She doesn't like the clippers.

Back when we had pure Pembroke Corgis one of them had to be rolled in a towel like a burrito and held by K just to trim his nails. He started hating the towel and biting it when we got it out for dog baths or nail trimming.

I joke that unless it pulls your socks off as you walk across it, the floor doesn't need scrubbing 😂
@Sentry18 First because this is via typing/online and not in person, I want to say I mean this as a compliment not condescending and not to insult anyone who can't do so.
I am so proud of your (& wife's) decision to continue homeschooling! That is not a decision to be taken lightly or an easy task. I mentioned it to hubby last night and his response was perfect, "They'll end up as better adults for it." Anyhoo - kudos!
That's how I knew something sticky was on the floor was my socks.
That piece of candy or lollipop was clear in color.
I got stuck, spilled my coffee.

Maybe we can meet for dinner?

Hubby broke my truck at 11:30am. The ins road side assistance finally got a tow truck out there at 8pm! He was outside of Abq! Not lost in BFE! The first lady left for lunch and never called the towing company with the location, the second person left for the day without ever getting the tow company the authorization info. The third person wasn't very bright but did finally get a truck out there.

Hubby broke my truck at 11:30am. The ins road side assistance finally got a tow truck out there at 8pm! He was outside of Abq! Not lost in BFE! The first lady left for lunch and never called the towing company with the location, the second person left for the day without ever getting the tow company the authorization info. The third person wasn't very bright but did finally get a truck out there.
I find that many people are so ready for the weekend on Friday that it is hard to get needs met.

Latest posts

Back