What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd appreciate some prayers please.
My cat Dus is dying of cancer.
I'm going to get the vet to come and do a home visit so he can be put to sleep in the comfort
of his home while in the arms of the person who loved him like a child.

So sorry to hear that Tank-Girl. You might want to ask the vet if you can pick up some Torbutrol to give to the kitty before the vet comes out (or have them bring some on the call).

Torb is a heavy duty pain killer that puts them in la-la land with some euphoric side effects, I once had a vet tell me when it is her time to go (meaning the vet's time) she hopes someone will juice her up with that stuff. It ensures kitty is blissfully out of it and won't be the slightest bit stressed when the vet arrives.

When I am losing one of my dogs I give them some of that at home before the drive to the vet, and the vet just comes out to the car to give the injection, it is so much better than stressing the animal out by going inside the clinic where most are fearful.

Burnt several acres off today around the house.

fir1.jpg

fir2.jpg

@gumpy or should I say Grampy.? Way to go.
When she was learning to talk she couldn't say gramps, it came out as gumps. That morphed into Gumpy and still is. Kids at church call me gumpy also.

I'm going to get the vet to come and do a home visit so he can be put to sleep in the comfort
I refuse to allow his last moments to be in a frightening environment with strange smells and sounds.
Dus has been with me since he was 4 weeks old, been my absolute comfort and companion
for the last 10 years.
This little soul is more than "just a cat".

I'm utterly broken.
I'll bet you are @Tank-Girl ! I've been there more than once also. Prayers for your ease of pain in this time of sorrow have been sent.

I got a haircut today!
View attachment 5329

I mentioned the other day that I got my first haircut of the summer. I keep it cut March through August, then let it grow till the next March.
This is the summer look.
20180318_203210.jpg

I refuse to allow his last moments to be in a frightening environment with strange smells and sounds.
Dus has been with me since he was 4 weeks old, been my absolute comfort and companion
for the last 10 years.
This little soul is more than "just a cat".

I'm utterly broken.
So sorry for your loss.

Done dishes.
Put away the first load of dishes.
Baked chicken in oven, baked potatoes,aspargus,slivered sweet peppers.
Hadn't had a home cooked meal in about week.
No grand daughter today.
First day off in 10 days.
Cleaned the bathroom.
Steamed cleaned the floor.
Placed chicken drumsticks in food saver bags.
10 pounds of drumsticks made 7 meals for 1(4 drumsticks per bag)
Cost of 10 pounds of drumsticks was $5.20.
Cleaned the refrig. Washed all the shelves.
Cleaned off the kitchen table.
Changed the bed, put clean bed sheets on bed.
Repaired fan.
W ill run the vacuum tomorrow in living room, bedroom.
Take out the trash.
Work in sewing room.
Sort the laundry to be done up tomorrow.
Get ready for another stretch of 10 days of grand daughter.
Wouldn't be bad except my day starts at 0400 hours.
And ends at 2020 hours.

Oh I wish ... ice is too thin to safely go out on and lakes to frozen to fish without the ice
Ours pond's been unthawd for over a month,in fact it wasn't frozen much this winter,it never freezes all the way but the water was too cold,not even 1 bite but I doubted I would.

Started off the morning with DH mowing the house paddock and back paddock lawns and whipper snipper the edges. After a break DH washed the dishes and cleaned the benches in the kitchen and I wiped them and put them away and cleaned out one kitchen drawer that was a bit dirty.

We then moved to DH cutting up the last 2 pumpkins in our storage from last season and I saved the seeds. We now have it cooking and will turn it into puree for the freezer for soups during the winter months and it made 6lts of puree.

Shortly we are emptying 2 garden beds of spent garden plants and DH will do the initial plough on them in readiness to hopefully be able to get some cow and horse manure on Thursday. Getting ready to plant garlic, broad beans and peas as the weather is starting to cool slightly.

Last edited:
I mentioned the other day that I got my first haircut of the summer. I keep it cut March through August, then let it grow till the next March.
This is the summer look.
View attachment 5469
looking good ... not good looking but looking good

Done dishes.
No grand daughter today.
Cleaned the bathroom.
Repaired fan.
Take out the trash.
Work in sewing room.
And ends at 2020 hours.

That's what I call a full day! If you never slow down, age doesn't catch up with you so fast.
old-turtle.jpg

looking good ... not good looking but looking good
I understand!
big-laugh-smiley.jpg

Done dishes.
No grand daughter today.
Cleaned the bathroom.
Repaired fan.
Take out the trash.
Work in sewing room.
And ends at 2020 hours.
That is a lot of work! I did some cleaning in the kitchen this weekend. We had family in town this past week from the Dakotas and that kept us busy. It was great, but my kitchen was in bad shape from being gone so much.
We picked a 5 gallon bucket of carrots from the garden last fall, and left many more in the ground over the winter. I have been working on processing the last of the ones from the garden. I have gotten the rest out of the garden in the past week. I am working on the last 5 gallon. They get woody if left in the ground too long. I shredded a bunch to add to carrot bread and carrot cake that are in my daughter's freezer, for her. I am going to dice up a bunch and dehydrate them.
I spent some time this weekend working in the yard, cleaning up. I had to quit when it started raining which then turned into snow. There is snow on the ground this morning. The news predicted slick roads this morning. It is 30 degrees. Lots more yard work to go, but it is great to see the crocus, daffodils and tulips coming up.

I am serving and protecting the fine people of my state by proactively enforcing laws, deterring criminal activity, preserving the peace and making myself reading at a moments notice to respond to a critical event or emergency. Which is to say I am sitting at my desk reading reports about the drunken stupidity that Saint Patrick's Day has evolved into and wondering if we would not be better off with a good old testament purging. Maybe @gumpy can stop working on his house and start building an Ark. The SS Homesteader.

The most depraved call so far was the intoxicated woman who removed a feminine product from her body and secretly put it in another woman's fruity adult beverage. Apparently she was angry because she showed up at at the St. Patty's Day pub crawl wearing the same dress. After the discovery of said item this of course resulted in a physical fight between the two which was cheered on by the crowd who even provided makeshift weapons like wine bottles and pool cues. The bouncers were unable to get through the crowd until the damage was already done. Both women were hospitalized with contusions, lacerations, concussions and possibly traumatic brain injuries, one is possibly going to lose an eye and the other is having troubles speaking coherently. And all over a fashion statement.

Drove a hour to buy a Hi Point Carbine in 40 S&W. New in the box with a 4x BSA scope. On sale for $229. Salesman suggest 9mm instead. I ask, "Why shoot two little holes instead of one big one?" Salesman realized the customer is always right and proceeded to ring up the sale.

Stopped on the way back home to visit mom. For the first hour she was her old "Normal" self, then a mental switch flipped.

Stop at a big box lumber yard for a 8 foot ladder. Garage attic access is at 9 feet. Last time I was up there I had a hard time lowering myself down 3 feet to my 6 foot ladder.

When my garage door opener was installed they ran the open/close wire on the outside of the wall. Wire doesn't lay straight and has bothered me for the last 20 years. And now the "Door bell" type button is busted, you have to play with it to get it to work. It's time! Vibratory saw cuts a rectangular hole in the drywall and foam board 12" above the garage light switch. Install a low voltage single gang box in the hole. Fish tape from attic to gang box, only took three attempts (insulation interfering)! Tie string on fish tape at the gang box and pull string up into attic. Tape door opener wire to string and pull down to the gang box. Attached the new open/close switch. Clean up mess from cutting the drywall and put tools away. Walk into the house and they wife asks, "What is wrong? You're walking funny." Well about a dozen trips up and down the ladder, crawling across the attic floor joists on my knees while banging my head on rafters I've used and twisted a few muscles that aren't accustomed to the activity!

Change out of my dirty work clothes into clean work clothes and ate a late lunch.

Turn on TV and sleep through one of the March Madness basketball games. Wife wakes me up to tell me she's leaving me (girls night out). There is a different basketball game on TV then what I was watching before I rested my eyes. Turn off the TV and head upstairs to fix supper. Two pieces of bread with some lunch meat thrown between them.

Out to the truck to retrieve the Hi Point. Wife is afraid of firearms so as long they are out off sight then they are out of her mind. Skim though the instructions. Watch a Youtube on take down procedures. Scope is a BSA 4x which is nothing to write home about. Save the scope for the grandson when he becomes of age. Order more magazines from Hi Point. If the weather ever warms up then a trip to the local gun range for site alignment and evaluations. Got another rifle in the queue waiting on the weather too.

upload_2018-3-19_9-47-32.png upload_2018-3-19_9-49-6.png

Last edited:
I'm going to try and figure out why the 4x4 isn't working in the '99 Ford Ranger today.
Good luck. My mechanic diagnostic skills generally run to that! I'm good at replacing parts though. Unless I break them upon installation.

I am serving and protecting the fine people of my state by proactively enforcing laws, deterring criminal activity, preserving the peace and making myself reading at a moments notice to respond to a critical event or emergency. Which is to say I am sitting at my desk reading reports about the drunken stupidity that Saint Patrick's Day has evolved into and wondering if we would not be better off with a good old testament purging. Maybe @gumpy can stop working on his house and start building an Ark. The SS Homesteader.

The most depraved call so far was the intoxicated woman who removed a feminine product from her body and secretly put it in another woman's fruity adult beverage. Apparently she was angry because she showed up at at the St. Patty's Day pub crawl wearing the same dress. After the discovery of said item this of course resulted in a physical fight between the two which was cheered on by the crowd who even provided makeshift weapons like wine bottles and pool cues. The bouncers were unable to get through the crowd until the damage was already done. Both women were hospitalized with contusions, lacerations, concussions and possibly traumatic brain injuries, one is possibly going to lose an eye and the other is having troubles speaking coherently. And all over a fashion statement.
Wow. If Christ doesn't return soon he'll owe Sodom and Gomorrah an apology.

Drove a hour to buy a Hi Point Carbine in 40 S&W. New in the box with a 4x BSA scope. On sale for $229. Salesman suggest 9mm instead. I ask, "Why shoot two little holes instead of one big one?" Salesman realized the customer is always right and proceeded to ring up the sale.

Stopped on the way back home to visit mom. For the first hour she was her old "Normal" self, then a mental switch flipped.

Stop at a big box lumber yard for a 8 foot ladder. Garage attic access is at 9 feet. Last time I was up there I had a hard time lowering myself down 3 feet to my 6 foot ladder.

When my garage door opener was installed they ran the open/close wire on the outside of the wall. Wire doesn't lay straight and has bothered me for the last 20 years. And now the "Door bell" type button is busted, you have to play with it to get it to work. It's time! Vibratory saw cuts a rectangular hole in the drywall and foam board 12" above the garage light switch. Install a low voltage single gang box in the hole. Fish tape from attic to gang box, only took three attempts (insulation interfering)! Tie string on fish tape at the gang box and pull string up into attic. Tape door opener wire to string and pull down to the gang box. Attached the new open/close switch. Clean up mess from cutting the drywall and put tools away. Walk into the house and they wife asks, "What is wrong? You're walking funny." Well about a dozen trips up and down the ladder, crawling across the attic floor joists on my knees while banging my head on rafters I've used and twisted a few muscles that aren't accustomed to the activity!

Change out of my dirty work clothes into clean work clothes and ate a late lunch.

Turn on TV and sleep through one of the March Madness basketball games. Wife wakes me up to tell me she's leaving me (girls night out). There is a different basketball game on TV then what I was watching before I rested my eyes. Turn off the TV and head upstairs to fix supper. Two pieces of bread with some lunch meat thrown between them.

Out to the truck to retrieve the Hi Point. Wife is afraid of firearms so as long they are out off sight then they are out of her mind. Skim though the instructions. Watch a Youtube on take down procedures. Scope is a BSA 4x which is nothing to write home about. Save the scope for the grandson when he becomes of age. Order more magazines from Hi Point. If the weather ever warms up then a trip to the local gun range for site alignment and evaluations. Got another rifle in the queue waiting on the weather too.

View attachment 5482 View attachment 5484
Have you shot the High Point yet. I've had the itch for one in .45, but no scratch!! Lol. Let us know how it shoots. Are you gonna put optics on it.
heavy-gun-animated.gif

Have you shot the High Point yet. I've had the itch for one in .45, but no scratch!! Lol. Let us know how it shoots. Are you gonna put optics on it.
View attachment 5490

No I haven't shot it yet. I'm not a cold weather person so I'll wait until the Climate Change kicks in and the temperatures get above 60.

No optics. This is a temporary gun. Son is upgrading the permanent gun but it will not be returned until they come to visit this fall. I needed a pistol caliber rifle for 3-gun matches this spring and summer. Then it will replace (3-gun matches will let me know if it's reliable) the SxS shotgun as the primary "middle of the night go to" firearm. 10 rounds plus 2 additional mags is better then 2 12 gauge shells plus a box of 25?

I want to sincerely thank each and every person who took the time to offer comfort, prayers and support through my grief.
It's still very raw.
I've decided that I'll be planting a lemon tree on his grave a beautiful living, useful head stone.

Once again I thank you all for your kindness.

I'm very humbled and blessed.

I want to sincerely thank each and every person who took the time to offer comfort, prayers and support through my grief.
It's still very raw.
I've decided that I'll be planting a lemon tree on his grave a beautiful living, useful head stone.

Once again I thank you all for your kindness.

I'm very humbled and blessed.

We all are @Tank-Girl! We all are.

Good luck. My mechanic diagnostic skills generally run to that! I'm good at replacing parts though. Unless I break them upon installation.

I know it's in the vacuum system now because the shafts are working,it has vacuum operated locking hubs on it. I just have to pinpoint if it's the operating system or a vacuum leak.

Finally got DH a Z pack today for his bronchitis of whatever he has AND my garden wagon that I received last week is put together! Yay!!! Kid coming next week sometime to clean goat shed unless I do it first. Probably not but who knows! LOL Making reubens and French fries for dinner, not real healthy but don't have them often!

Latest posts

Back