What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today, has been nice, we did church. But before that I went shopping at 06:00 to make up for not going earlier. Actually I was almost out of Diet Coke and wanted an excuse to get soda and junk food :) .

After church I went into the back yard and found a little growth of oregano, that was in-between paver stones. I dug it out and was supprised to find about 18" of woody root. Cut it into 3 segments, planted 2 in the little growing area where I have grown it in the past (original home) and 1 went into a #10 can in the house in the hopes of growing some that we can use through the winter, it has some green on it so lets hope it takes hold.

I've missed out on this thread for a bit. Evidently, if you don't post in a thread for a while, then you stop getting notified of news posts in that thread (the little bell icon on the top right of the forum pages). So I'm just catching up on posts here for the last week and a half.

Jim - good to hear that the misses is improving. Sounds like slow fits and bursts, but a consistent underlying trend towards improvement. That's so good to hear.

My wife came out of her knee surgery just fine (same day as Jim's hospital ordeal). No significant pain. Just a pain in the butt to be on crutches in our tri-level house (lots of stairs). So I'm taking care of things so she doesn't have to move much.

My mom is now covid-negative (two tests a couple of days apart), after two weeks of solid positive test results. But as is somewhat common in the older patients, she continues to go downhill despite the negative test results. Her oxygen levels continue to go down, supplemental oxygen keeps getting turned up. Mental status way down, unable to talk anymore. She's near the end. The facility she's in has approved me for a "compassion visit". They try to allow those before the very last day of life, hoping that there will still be some recognition of family members who visit. Now that I get to go into "covid central", it's a little scary since I can't afford to catch it myself. I can't quarantine from my wife that needs me to do everything for a few more weeks while her knee heals. My son can come up to help some, but he has a full time job. And if I get really sick, there would be nobody to assist me. But ... I have to go in to see my mom before she passes. Nobody knows how long she has left - a day, a week, a month? Probably nowhere near a month the way she's looking. We'll just have to see how things play out.

My daughter is still in love with her new home in Hawaii. Despite getting chewed on by a shark (no significant injuries) and then getting bit by a centipede. She said that centipede bite was by far the worst pain she has ever experienced. Far worse than the multiple bones she's managed to break over the years. Those centipedes are as big around as your finger and about 7 or 8 inches long. She said she'd take a dozen hornet stings to the face before another centipede bite.

I'm splitting and stacking firewood along with some general goofing off...trying to figure a way to reboot my brain lol, I put up some turkey wing bones for making a turkey call and I'll be darned if I can find them. Figure I simply forgot where they were put or a critter like a coon, come along and took them.

A fruit chafer crashed in to my parked car while I was painting some wood. He was still alive so I picked him up and took him through the house to the backyard for the girls to see. We have a preserved fruit chafer framed in the living room but the girls have never seen a living one before. They enjoyed watching that blind bug crawl on the picnic table before he flew off. We see lots of praying mantis but I haven't seen a chafer in years. We live near fruit orchards so you'd think the chafers would be more prolific but not really.

I am working on the evac totes today. K cut out the wood door supports and I am currently painting them. I am also moving our camping gear to the new totes I got for that. They are the same as the evac totes but with a clear body rather than a black plastic. I forgot what we had in our camping gear. I knew we needed a bigger tent for our family than the small one I came into the marriage with but I replaced that a few months ago. I did order some new sleeping bags for the girls last week so when they outgrow the kids bags we have adult bags they can use. I have washing and packing of our camping gear to do before moving it to the toes but nothing too time consuming.

Lots of little things to get done this week.

@Haertig , sorry to hear about your mom.
I lost my mom last year.
Not easy thing.

Glad your wife got thru the knee surgery went well and she's on the mend.

Wife is up and down.
Was doing much better until Thursday night., Then the bottom fell out.
Just now getting a little better. Don't know why her BP keeps jumping up.
Then she dehydrates.
We're just living day to day.

She's getting very tired of being sick and unable to do anything.

Jim

You'll get exercise with trikes.
My first trike was leftover from World War II.
It had huge basket on the back, so I could go get groceries.
The new trikes are hollowed tubed lighter.

The last and maybe only time I saw an adult on a trike was downtown Atlanta in a burleque show club.She did her act to the song ' A Brand New key' as she sang the song she rode her bike around the stage while 'performing'. 1970s I was a coktail waitress for a few months at The Nitery Club,last burlesque in Atlanta.Top act was The Wild One Morgana aka kissing bandit. All kinds of acts from contortionist to trike riding.Bartender was a friend of the famous Gypsy Rose Lee. Interesting job.

Patchouli thanks for the info about magnesium and potassium. I didn't know they weren't supposed to be taken together.
Ben the door looks good. Are you planning to paint it?
I'm still waiting for my brain to wake up today.
Painting the door will have to wait for Spring. The weather has turned towards winter and paint would not set right. There is an outer cellar door and so far it has been bone dry.

Tomorrow we will be starting to jack up the first corner of the house so can replace the termite damaged beams.

Ben

The last and maybe only time I saw an adult on a trike was downtown Atlanta in a burleque show club.She did her act to the song ' A Brand New key' as she sang the song she rode her bike around the stage while 'performing'. 1970s I was a coktail waitress for a few months at The Nitery Club,last burlesque in Atlanta.Top act was The Wild One Morgana aka kissing bandit. All kinds of acts from contortionist to trike riding.Bartender was a friend of the famous Gypsy Rose Lee. Interesting job.

I worked burlesque while in college. That led to working as a domme which paid better and since I was in control I didn't have to wear so little. Met some powerful people with some odd fetishes. My favorite was the "Jim the Foot Guy". He paid me to go shoe shopping. He bought me all kinds of shoes and enjoyed when I wore them. The pointe shoes were his favorites. Messed my feet up for a while after wearing them but it was a great leg workout. Just picture it! A gothy girl all in black wearing bright pink ballet shoes walking on toe (on pointe).

I worked burlesque while in college. That led to working as a domme which paid better and since I was in control I didn't have to wear so little. Met some powerful people with some odd fetishes. My favorite was the "Jim the Foot Guy". He paid me to go shoe shopping. He bought me all kinds of shoes and enjoyed when I wore them. The pointe shoes were his favorites. Messed my feet up for a while after wearing them but it was a great leg workout. Just picture it! A gothy girl all in black wearing bright pink ballet shoes walking on toe (on pointe).

This was the old kind of cabaret or burlesque but I'm sure yours was interesting too. I liked going into the dressing rooms and watching them practice their acts .
it was all new ro me but I had watched Gypsy in 1962 so I knew . Me and my girl friends went home from theatre and pretended we were Gypsy,lol.
One did the trapese act ,one did Beauty and the Beast , one did tassels on her chest'for a better word' ,back them they had to were pastries no completely nude performances.
1962 PG movie,starring Natily Woods.

This was the old kind of cabaret or burlesque but I'm sure yours was interesting too. I liked going into the dressing rooms and watching them practice their acts .
it was all new ro me but I had watched Gypsy in 1962 so I knew . Me and my girl friends went home from theatre and pretended we were Gypsy,lol.
One did the trapese act ,one did Beauty and the Beast , one did tassels on her chest'for a better word' ,back them they had to were pastries no completely nude performances.
1962 PG movie,starring Natily Woods.

My act was modeled after the late great Betty Page and some of her more famous photos...

bunny1_2922275b.jpg

@Grimm
Which one of these costumes do you like the best in Let me entertain You act? Skip through if you like there are only 3 dresses.I like the last one ,the white out fit and the second one is ok too.

That was a nice example of a modest representation of an off color subject. I miss those days. Thank you for shating.

One observation I can add is it was a time when the feminine hour glass figure was apreciated.

Ben

PS: I may have been sexist in my last post. "I am what I am that's all that I am.

"

That was a nice example of a modest representation of an off color subject. I miss those days. Thank you for shating.

One observation I can add is it was a time when the feminine hour glass figure was apreciated.

Ben

PS: I may have been sexist in my last post. "I am what I am that's all that I am.

"
I first saw it 12 or 13 but it was a great movie about life and family just not your regular family.
Also a true story where Woods played Gypsy Rose lee.

This is the real Gypsy .I fast forwarded it to her ,

So a couple weeks ago, I thought I could “smell mouse” in the spare room closet which isn’t large but is where I put a few boxes that I had to deal with (papers/pictures etc.). So I pulled everything out and no mice but plenty of dust bunnies. Cleaned it and decided to deal with stuff rather than put it back. Got a whole paper box from friends who passed in ‘15 & ‘16 sorted and filled a big photo album and pitched a bunch of garbage. Also consolidated 2 smaller trunk style suitcases from my g-parents into 1. Added several frames to the donation box. Went to put odds in the other suitcase and discovered the mice had been in a small box I had with antique beaded purses and belts ☹️ They survived a hundred years and a stupid mouse ruined them. I could almost have cried. I dealt with it. I’m going through other things too, trying to get rid of excess. Listed a few things on Craigslist.
@Haertig prayers for you and yours.
Jim. Hang in there. 🙏
@Meerkat. How fast do you need to go?
I think I missed some posts. Will have to look.

Ben

"
Hour glass figures were much more common before our food system was inundated with chemicals. What began as a muffin top is now a whole batch of rolls.

@Grimm
Which one of these costumes do you like the best in Let me entertain You act? Skip through if you like there are only 3 dresses.I like the last one ,the white out fit and the second one is ok too.

The last one is similar to something I did with the skin tone outfit to look more revealing that it was.

@Grimm,did you have the live cats 'leopards'? too?

I wish! I recreated the outfit she had on. Lots of velcro and snaps! I had to buy a stack of books on Miss Page just to have enough reference of that outfit to try and recreate it. Betty was known for making her own outfits for her photo shoots.

Hour glass figures were much more common before our food system was inundated with chemicals. What began as a muffin top is now a whole batch of rolls.

I was a stick until my mid twenties. No real curves. Then my thyroid went to hell and the weight just does not want to leave! But I do work my tush off to stay active and not a schlub.

The last one is similar to something I did with the skin tone outfit to look more revealing that it was.

I wish! I recreated the outfit she had on. Lots of velcro and snaps! I had to buy a stack of books on Miss Page just to have enough reference of that outfit to try and recreate it. Betty was known for making her own outfits for her photo shoots.

Well you have good taste , :D .

Latest posts

Back