What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 57557Had to go over the mountain today to get our pig from the butcher. Glad to have a little more meat in the freezer. When they went to the butcher, I made room in the chest freezer. Today when I returned home and went to put the meat in there, I noticed the meat in it wasn’t frozen solid. It is okay, but it did this before and I turned the temp. way cold so it’s going to the dump. Not worth loosing $$$ worth of meat. Glad it’s not summer! So I made room in the other freezers. This was a heritage breed hog so only about 135# of meat. We didn’t know that when we asked for a hog, but under the circumstances, probably a good thing. Our freezers are full.
It was an absolutely gorgeous drive. Also got 3 doz home-grown eggs for $7 😁

We had some American guinea hogs last year that went in the freezer, and they had A LOT of fat on them. I was annoyed until I looked up prices for lard from non China store pigs at the farmers market and was surprised how much you can sell it for. Some places it goes for like $12 a pound.

Nice photo, our snow finally melted except a few ice spots and it supposed to rain all day tomorrow. I would rather have snow than rain. I don't really mind winter as much as when it rains for days on end in the spring or sometimes summer here. Dreading April, that seems to be the worst months.

I did very little yesterday, felt like I had a cold ( sore throat, headache, very tired). Probably not covid, I am better today, maybe just run down and breathed in too much barn dust or something.
Today I am making Indian food ( lots of work)
Animals are all out, it's nice out. I should start on the taxes, but really really don't feel like it. I did sort through our receipts and put them all in a box. Now I have to sort them and enter everything into a spreadsheet to send to our accountant.

We hit the woods this morning it was cold and dreary day. I took the boy down to where the ferry crossed the White River just north of Branson in the late 1800s. We got some exercise and had a good time despite the weather.
C03756DD-9F50-48ED-9DFF-1969241B3192.png
0D919057-70FF-4A75-861C-9F4B635BE15C.jpeg
E0C17DDB-557D-4B12-9DA5-41F81ED849AA.png
9AB787DF-87F4-4FBD-8988-3D1789ED69F7.jpeg

Attachments

• 65590E61-830C-40E8-9358-AEAC204E5D1C.jpeg
    65590E61-830C-40E8-9358-AEAC204E5D1C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 870B9746-0987-4A71-A76E-63F18DAF0867.jpeg
    870B9746-0987-4A71-A76E-63F18DAF0867.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 2C91EFA3-CACF-422D-82E3-A951AC7F61B8.jpeg
    2C91EFA3-CACF-422D-82E3-A951AC7F61B8.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 44275AAC-4A49-4A3C-A3BB-5B473BD24D86.jpeg
    44275AAC-4A49-4A3C-A3BB-5B473BD24D86.jpeg
    916.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 86A6CE15-D259-4819-BFD2-5BC4CBC27F47.jpeg
    86A6CE15-D259-4819-BFD2-5BC4CBC27F47.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 8F22DE2E-90E5-4F5C-96BA-02E42B858617.jpeg
    8F22DE2E-90E5-4F5C-96BA-02E42B858617.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
Today we cleaned and organized a bit. The wife finished the chicken stock, separated the fat from the good stuff, but this time she made up a container of chicken fat as she has precipices that use it. Tonight we are having Shepard's pie for dinner.

After the girls departed yesterday I worked my through the plethora of oscillating tool blades available on Amazon. When working with @Firepolice271 on Friday I had a chance to test out my new oscillating tool to cut off old nails . After no more than a dozen nails the metal cutting blade I had was missing teeth. I eventually came to the conclusion the blade was intended for copper aluminum but not rusty nails.

Turns out I should probably be using carbide . then I had to go through the cost comparison exercise with what was available at Lowe's. The price range ran from 8 to 24 dollars each. Rather dear compared with bimetal blades that were $1.25 each in bulk. I ordered a 3-pack as an experiment. They are supposed to be here today so I can test them tomorrow.

Today did some cyphering to figure out how to evenly balance the air return ducts and get a ballpark estimate of what the supplies will cost. I had hoped to put together a parts list but that was a dream. The Lowe's website refused to cooperate after I scrolled through too many pages.

I do have enough info to be able to go to Lowe's and adapt to what is available. Ideally the list would be

10"x8"x6" tee
8"x6"x6" tee
(3) 6" to register
(3) 6" dampers to be able to fine tune.

But beggers can't be choosers.

The actual list will most likely be 3X as long with multiple reducers required.

I am done with tedious tasks for today and will be catching up on machine shop videos on YouTube. I have found 4 channels that I have learned a lot from. When I finally get around my real retirement schedule, I hope to machine the 4 casting sets I have on the shelf into operational steam engines that will power my machine shop using coal from the seam located on The Ridge. That goal let me check off a big goal on my TEOTWAKI todo list.

Ben

It's barely 30 outside, so no one has gone out much today, except to take care of animals. I made a double batch of granola, which I burned. Bummer. Threw it out and will start again maybe tomorrow. Husband is napping, I made a bunch of deviled eggs, and we'll be going to my cousins for supper in a little while.

Destructo dog got into the bathroom last night even though I swear that I had shut the door and the destruction had to be seen to be believed.
The worse thing in a whole laundry list of bad things was she found the container my VERY expensive dental appliance was kept in. I found the container open..but no dental appliance.
It's gone.
I think she ate it.
There was poo and pee all over the floor and it looks like she tread in it and then jumped up on the walls because there's poo shaped paw prints on the walls.
Towels and face washers ripped up...toilet paper confetti everywhere.....shampoo and condition, body wash, hand cream bottles chewed up and the products mixed into the mess.
She even chewed up candles.
Megs is now a outside dog because my house has been reduced to a damned stinking kennel.

It's especially hard for you to know right now, because you don't know yet how you'll like all that home-canned food, or what works for your family. When I first started canning, it was chicken. And I canned a lot of chicken. But when I opened it up it smelled like wet dog food (and memories of my childhood home) and made my stomach roil horribly. So consequently I didn't make as good a use out of that canned chicken as I should have. So I learned freezing our chicken is a better option for us - doesn't matter what other people do, just matters what works for us. (We have a generator in case of a relatively short-term power outage, and a heavy-duty camp burner and propane in case a longer power outage necessitates canning all that meat after all.)

Your test batches of different foods is great! In time you'll get a better handle on what jars you use for your family - and that's really not something anyone else can tell you, know what I mean? Not that I would discourage you from buying canning jars! lol I mean seriously, they can be used for so many things.

Dang, that's so frustrating! But in a way it's a good thing to find out now, you know? I thought we were good to go in our basement - no mice (thank you indoor cats), and no bug problem, either. Then we got a grain weavil infestation. Those b*#^*$!s decimated our food storage. Now I evaluate everything differently when I put it in storage - which is a good thing, because I think it matters more now....

I don't care for canned chicken either, or potatoes.Seems like those are two things that don't taste right once canned.
Canned beef is ok though.

Today late on transplanting plnts we took out of greenhouse last month.
We hit the woods this morning it was cold and dreary day. I took the boy down to where the ferry crossed the White River just north of Branson in the late 1800s. We got some exercise and had a good time despite the weather.
View attachment 57620View attachment 57621View attachment 57622View attachment 57627

Great looking place bet yall did have a nice day.

It's barely 30 outside, so no one has gone out much today, except to take care of animals. I made a double batch of granola, which I burned. Bummer. Threw it out and will start again maybe tomorrow. Husband is napping, I made a bunch of deviled eggs, and we'll be going to my cousins for supper in a little while.

I was going to make deviled eggs yesterday but changed menu.

@hashbrown I think Jake is growing as fast as the pup - might have to keep tabs on weight for each like a contest 😂
@Neb Annex tools is awesome for any sort of blades and nice/helpful also.
@Tank-Girl Sorry she’s such a handful. Hopefully outside she will be able to spend more energy.
We went over to my folks for dinner. My brother and SIL and 2 of the 3 nieces were also there from out of town so we could see them too. When we all get together, it’s kinda like Laurel and Hardy’s best runs. So needless to say, it was a nice visit. Cold here today! 31 but a north wind.

Destructo dog got into the bathroom last night even though I swear that I had shut the door and the destruction had to be seen to be believed.
The worse thing in a whole laundry list of bad things was she found the container my VERY expensive dental appliance was kept in. I found the container open..but no dental appliance.
It's gone.
I think she ate it.
There was poo and pee all over the floor and it looks like she tread in it and then jumped up on the walls because there's poo shaped paw prints on the walls.
Towels and face washers ripped up...toilet paper confetti everywhere.....shampoo and condition, body wash, hand cream bottles chewed up and the products mixed into the mess.
Megs is now a outside dog because my house has been reduced to a damned stinking kennel.
When our dogs are young we lock them in a kennel overnight and when un supervised. It helps with potty training as well as limiting destruction.

Woke up after my nap and started looking at leatherworking videos. Chatted with Frodo about leatherworking stuff. Applied to join a group on FB for leatherworking. Still pending approval.

Was out for the count most of the day. Allergy meds aren't quite working yet and I know I need to do some dusting and change hvac filters again. Fed the kitties, got mom some lunchmeat and such so she could make herself a sandwich (she didn't feel like having something cooked).

Did some minor cleaning.

I ate half a bag of cookies. I need to finish the other half so I can use the flexible tie thingy from the top for a flexible nose strip for the mask I'm going to make for my friend. I will eat these cookies for science. Yes, that's it, science. :p (My sister always says she's eating cake or cookies or something "for science").

Ben,
I am a bit lat but those carbide blades might not be so good for nails, their used for glass and ceramic tiles.
They tend to break with any impact.
High speed steel and bimetal are for steel. You just need a finer tooth count for nails. Try to find a blade with 18 to 24 teeth per inch.

Woke up after my nap and started looking at leatherworking videos. Chatted with Frodo about leatherworking stuff. Applied to join a group on FB for leatherworking. Still pending approval.

Was out for the count most of the day. Allergy meds aren't quite working yet and I know I need to do some dusting and change hvac filters again. Fed the kitties, got mom some lunchmeat and such so she could make herself a sandwich (she didn't feel like having something cooked).

Did some minor cleaning.

I ate half a bag of cookies. I need to finish the other half so I can use the flexible tie thingy from the top for a flexible nose strip for the mask I'm going to make for my friend. I will eat these cookies for science. Yes, that's it, science. :p (My sister always says she's eating cake or cookies or something "for science").

My scientific experiment got out of hand so no more banana splits and cookies for awhile. Mirror doesn't lie and I have a stomach to rpove it .

It's gone.
I think she ate it.

Awww...you must have a puppy! We have had dogs eat furniture, homework from the kids, chew up the bottom of the couch, beds, and shred rolls of toilet paper and one very expensive calculus book. I got this stuff to put on things you don't want chewed, and they hate it ( I think it was called sour apple). House training: get a dog crate and make sure you let the puppy out about half hour after she eats and give her a treat if he goes outside. Only leave puppy in house in crate if not supervised. I trained all of ours in a few days.

Awww...you must have a puppy! We have had dogs eat furniture, homework from the kids, chew up the bottom of the couch, beds, and shred rolls of toilet paper and one very expensive calculus book. I got this stuff to put on things you don't want chewed, and they hate it ( I think it was called sour apple). House training: get a dog crate and make sure you let the puppy out about half hour after she eats and give her a treat if he goes outside. Only leave puppy in house in crate if not supervised. I trained all of ours in a few days.

100% agree. And make sure the crate is the proper size and strength for the situation. Seen so many people use far to large (for potty training purposes) or to flimsy of a crate (for destructive behavior) and blame the crate or the dog for the failure in success. Long term safe chews are great for in the crate boredom.
Sour apple is a good chew deterrent. Works for people too 😉 Nasty tasting stuff 😂

Today is laundry day.

Walk myself and then dogs.

Do some computer stuff.

Lastly, check on train tickets to visit DH's family in IL. There are 3 great grandchildren I haven't met and haven't seen grandkids since they were 10 and 11 years old. Won't go until the latter part of June, but excited now!

Lastly, check on train tickets to visit DH's family in IL. There are 3 great grandchildren I haven't met and haven't seen grandkids since they were 10 and 11 years old. Won't go until the latter part of June, but excited now!
That IS exciting! Good for you!

Monday mornings are bad enough , just being Monday.
But OMG the rain is really coming down , and did most of the night, with loud thunder all night.
Uugghh.

Sit in house day
Do nothing day.
B o r e d.

May just ckeck , oil, clean a few pew pew toys.

RA doctor tommorow.

Hope it stops raining soon, the creek is near flooding.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Jim

Yikes! That’s a lot of rain
I’ve been up and down all night breeding cows. Headed back to bed for a nap for a few hours till the next ones. All going pretty darn smooth considering.
Been raining a bit. Nothing even close to what your getting @phideaux. Hubby sent a video from work early this morning. It was snowing on him. I wanted so bad to drive up and see it. Poor guy got soaked before he left for work when we had a shorted out Hotwire spot that was playing hard to find in the rain. Then he got snowed on at work. It was cold here but the rain was kind enough to give me breaks every time I had to go breed. Very much appreciated that as there’s no cover over our chute. We’re expecting hard freeze tonight. Not looking forward to that.
Night one of our little invader that made a mess of my pantry fell to the mouse. The trap was set where to rod got stuck partially open underneath where it was set. Oops. Night two I was in and out of that room most of the night and figured that would keep it away. Haha!!!! VICTORY!!!!! Took a nap and got up to find the little bugger in the trap! Going to leave a trap set back there from now on I think. Now I can clean up the mess and get to reorganizing. The “good” news is it made me go through stuff and get rid of expired things we really don’t eat anymore. Found some things that bugs had hatched in. Thought I’d kept up on that pretty well...........not really in the dry goods department. Working on ways to prevent bugs and rodents from winning now. Haven’t had much of a problem before so I guess we were due.
Have a great day forum family! I’m off for a nap I hope.:huggs:

We had some American guinea hogs last year that went in the freezer, and they had A LOT of fat on them. I was annoyed until I looked up prices for lard from non China store pigs at the farmers market and was surprised how much you can sell it for. Some places it goes for like $12 a pound.

Nice photo, our snow finally melted except a few ice spots and it supposed to rain all day tomorrow. I would rather have snow than rain. I don't really mind winter as much as when it rains for days on end in the spring or sometimes summer here. Dreading April, that seems to be the worst months.

Bon apitite with the guinea's .:brewing: . Sonya,a day with you would be interesting.metal music and guineas may put me over the edge,o_O. But I bet the company would be nice,:huggs:

Latest posts

Back