What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We made it home about 4:30.
She is doing great. No pain.

We are glad to be home , the temps are dropping and rain coming down slowly.

Suppose to be ice storm overnight.

We don't care what it does now , were snug as a bug in a rug.

Jim
Ice storms can sure be dangerous and treacherous. It is good that you are home now and can stay there until this passes. I hope your wife has adequate pain meds to help both of you during this time.

Two degrees out right now, and am getting ready to take granddaughter to school, then feed the chickens and walk both dogs. My favorite cousin's birthday is today, so everyone is going to her daughter's house for breakfast and visiting. I'm bringing the chocolate basket.
Dogs had their first night in the basement in kennels instead of the garage, because the basement is a lot warmer. One decided to start barking at four this morning, so that's not been fun. I think he gets the muzzle tonight. I am not a happy camper at four a.m.

Pulled ammo out of gun safe and organized them in ammo cans yesterday. Very cold weather for next 4-6 days. Icy here now and need to go to feed store to pick up cubes in cuber. Most of road is dirt road for 10 miles. Only one overpass in town. All schools delayed until 10. Don't mind snow, but this ice glaze can go away. Single digit temps next week. Unusual for this part of Texas. Breaking 100 year record for lows. Hope power able to stay on

Some of you know , I live on top of a hill and my driveway is 1/4 mile long and very steep at one point.

Now I ask you, if you didn't have to go anywhere , would you try scraping the ice /sleet/ice off the hill?

Yeah , me neither. It ain't gonna melt for at least a week or more .
Soooo, I'm glad I got plenty firewood and plenty food.

When the 15" of snow comes Monday , it's sure not gonna get cleaned off , with single digits temps after tomorrow.

One thing good about being on a hill is no visitors.😁

Wife is doing a little better.

Yes I fed them darn cats.🙄

Watching Andy and Barney, drinking coffee., 70 deg in my living room.😎

Gotta call and cancel my Kidney doctor on Monday.

Y'all have a blessed day , stay warm.

Jim

Strawberry is cold.
We are wrapped up in blanket in the recliner.
Sipping coffee, will be making second pot soon.
Making in depth grocery list for the coming month.
I'm out of tea bags, not completely out just got those fu fu ones left.
But have several cans of coffee.
Made out my menus for the rest of the month of Feb and most of March.
Got a crock pot of my version of potato soup simmering away.
I'll put my version of potato soup in the recipe thread.
Maybe several others too.
It's 3*
Feels like -13*
Wind is coming out of the North at 11 mph.
High might get to 7*
Low tonight is supposed to be 1*
Internet is flaky right now.
I might need a new modem.
I bought mine before I discovered YOUTUBE.
It doesn't have enough git up and go.
It's git up and go went someplace else.
Furnace is set on 72*, but the atomic clock says it's 66*.
Everybody stay safe, warm, dry.
I didn't go outside yesterday, son started the car.
Will have to check mail by Sat., my medicine will be here by then maybe.
Have started cleaning on knitting machine carriage,general maintance on it, oil is in it's future too.

Last edited:
Went to my favorite cousins birthday party this morning, and it was a good time. Had a room full of family there, and it was good to see everyone. She turned 73 today. Tried to talk my cousin Harry into getting a ride there in a warm truck, but nooooo. Even at 1 degree this morning, he took the horse and buggy out. Forgot to grab milk when I left, and they just called and told me to come by after getting little granddaughter picked up from school. Fed husband lunch, and now he's crashed out in the recliner. An electrician is working in the add on, so that's a good sign. Have the woodburning stove going, and a few portable heaters, too. Glad Monday is a school holiday.

Went to the hardware store to pick up my new snow thrower. NWS says I may get to try it out this weekend. Took the diabetic cat to the vet for his blood test. He's a little high, so we go back in a month. Assembled the snow blower (2 cap screws) and charged the batteries. Now I wait for snowmageddon to see how it works.

Spent time working on detailed plan of the duct work so I can visit Lowes tomorrow.

Then I had a no pain dentist appointment to start the process of getting all my teeth pulled bone grafts and dentures. There is going to be a bit of pain but getting dentures was something on my prepping wishlist. If I have my facts straight the oldest human jaw bone of a human showed he died from gum disease. If TEOTWAKI happens I not have to deal the dentist stuff.

Ben

We made it home about 4:30.
She is doing great. No pain.

We are glad to be home , the temps are dropping and rain coming down slowly.

Suppose to be ice storm overnight.

We don't care what it does now , were snug as a bug in a rug.

Jim
That's what I didn't like about Kentucky when we lived down there,all the ice storms. Give me snow any day,it's not near as slick. Slick yeah,but not like ice.
I'm glad you guys are safe.

I hope everyone gets thru the snow and cold in good shape. I know most of you are well prepped to do so. But this weather can make little things seem much bigger.

Short week at work after our road trip. But more than enough to catch up on after missing 2 days. LOL. Got some new projects starting up, plus covering for the peckerhead in the office next to me. He's out till up in April sometime.
Tried to do some planning to start purchasing the materials to build the raised beds I want. Also got my first round of onion slips this week. Gonna plant them 21st, 22nd, 23rd, the signs are all favorable during that time. Taters, carrots, parsnips, radishes will go in 2nd week of March. Gotta get cabbage, cauliflour, and greens ready to go as well.

Got some great news for my heart. I finally got a copy of the CT scan they did. Holy cow! It showed a calcium score of "zero". If I'm reading the results right, that means zero blockage in any coronary arteries. None whatsoever. Which is pretty surprising, considering my family history and the fact that I've been a type 1 diabetic since age 15. The results said I was at .5% risk of having a heart attack. The risk doesn't get any lower...

But...the CT scan showed indications atelectasis in both of my lower lung lobes. That is, they're internally collapsing a little bit. Not like when you get a collapsed lung from a hole in it and air gets in your chest cavity. Not that serious. But I don't understand why nobody thought that was serious enough to discuss with me? Also there is a 2cm cyst in one of my lungs. Also not serious, but something to keep an eye on.

So now, more faxes and electronic files to send to my employer. Gonna be a while till I get back to work, but I feel better about things...

-4 and windy today.

Made the supply run to the city today that I've been putting off for a couple weeks. Got some steel, food, spare keys for my truck and a sack of unfrozen potting soil as its even though its below zero outside, its time to start seeds for the summer.

Just for fun I stopped at Sportsman's Warehouse. Not a single round of ammunition, primer, bullet, or brass case. And exactly one sack of shotgun wads for sale. Really glad I don't actually need anything.

miss my garden.png

screw it I'm gardening.png

Gonna be a while till I get back to work, but I feel better about things...
That has to be a relief, Spikedriver! And you know what to keep an eye on.
I'm ready for some warm weather.
Me too!

Just doing a video this morning and visiting friends the rest of the day.

We have about 5 or 6 inches of snow and it's still snowing.
For the first time in 3 years, I had to use my snowblower.
When I put it in the barn 3 years ago I drained out all the gas and let it run till it quit. That just paid for itself. I put in gas, checked the oil, plugged in the starter and she fired right up. I really like the 120v electric start. No pulling on a rope.
I plow a racetrack in the yard so the dogs can go out.
I filled all the bird feeders yesterday so they are good for a day or 2.
I'm going to spend the rest of the day puttering around in my shop.

We have about 5 or 6 inches of snow and it's still snowing.
For the first time in 3 years, I had to use my snowblower.
When I put it in the barn 3 years ago I drained out all the gas and let it run till it quit. That just paid for itself. I put in gas, checked the oil, plugged in the starter and she fired right up. I really like the 120v electric start. No pulling on a rope.
I plow a racetrack in the yard so the dogs can go out.
I filled all the bird feeders yesterday so they are good for a day or 2.
I'm going to spend the rest of the day puttering around in my shop.
Pulling the rope to start any small engine is the worst, imho. I hate it! I can jerk forever, and the stupid things won't start.

Finished with two zoom meetings already. The furnace seems to be running non-stop, due to the cold.

Woke up this morning and saw snow outside -- again. It goes away within a day an then is back again the next day. That's pretty typical for southern Idaho, at least at ~4000 ft elevation where we live. All of us -- Dawn, Leila-the-dog, Satan-the-all-black-cat, 27 chickens, and I -- are getting quite anxious for Spring to come, even though it means a muddy pasture and back yard.

All the landscape people have finished up the trenching, water line, and electrical conduits, and we're waiting for the electrician to come by and connect up the 50-Amp line to the pasture. I know there are electrically-heated hoses around, but we've spent our way almost to the end of our savings, so I'm going to continue hauling 5-gallon buckets of water for the chickens for the foreseeable future!

Goat Dept: Dawn has been scouring the Craigslist and KSL ads for a doe and kid -- or even a pregnant doe; but they're really to find. Bucklings and wethers are all over the place, some for as little as fifty bucks apiece, but even Dawn and I know that male goats make poor milk producers. Hopefully by next month we might see more kids being born, and does in milk. We've been looking at either an Alpine or a Saanen, medium size goats with a yield of about one gal/day. Of course a gallon a day is a lot for two people, but Dawn wants to learn to make soap, and I want to learn to make cheese.

Meanwhile, we're just relaxing inside, drooling over our seed catalogs. Here in Kimberly, a common planting date would be around Mother's day (end of May), but we'll be planting seedlings rather than seeds, and two of the deep beds will have hoops with plastic sheeting to keep them warm if we have a late frost. We've never had hoop-houses or a greenhouse before, so we're kind of excited about stretching our season!

Finally, old Betsy, my (not so) faithful laptop, passed away last week.:cry: I got a new computater Thursday, a Dell all-in-one, and spent a frustrating couple of days setting it up. I love the freedom of a computer and spent 40 years using them, but I don't like messing around just to get the fool thing to work.

Have a great weekend, you all!!

Last edited:
I went to Lowe's to pickup ducts for the air return project. That was an exercise in futility. They simply do not stock the larger size stuff I need.

I am going to endure the Lowe's website to determine if I am going to locate an HVAC supply store to get the job done.

"Oh bother"

https://images.app.goo.gl/QiG6bwNAFmTdtgLx8
So doing the website search thing today. Steaks tonight (while I still have teeth) and movies with The Princess. Tomorrow the girls visit. Monday we may resume the remodeling work.

Weather is calling for as much as 11" early next week.

Behave

Ben

Spike, I'm so glad to hear you have no blockages & I hope the lung issue can be treated easily and painlessly.

Yesterday I went to the post office bc I had a package from Frodo. He sent me some leather scraps, tools, and stuff for making things. He also sent me a mask he'd made. I can use the mask to tweak the pattern for when I make one. I found that the metal strip wouldn't fit quite the way I'd initially planned, but I think I can still get it to work if I move it lower. I also found that I don't have to trim the washable nursing pads-- they fit perfectly inside the mask and covers the vents. I'm going to see about adding a liner with a pocket that attaches to the pad. It can be removed for washing & I'll have a backup in case one is drying when another needs to be used. I will reinforce the pockets for holding the straps, and I'll add a memory foam strip at the nose bridge (if necessary). I can use elastic straps instead of leather. The one I will make for my friend will have different vents and some magnetic rivet snaps to hold the liner in (if the liner doesn't want to stay in on it's own).

I'm still trying to figure out what the best adhesive is to use to bond leather to leather to make it thicker in specific spots. I've heard 3m 77 spray adhesive but that will have a lot of overspray and I'm looking for small area application.

I got distracted LOL. I got some cattle feed for the cows. Hurt my shoulder getting it out of the truck-- had to climb in the back and pull it out bc it slid.

Woke up under 10 cats and a dog this afternoon (thought it was morning but vision was blurry so what I thought was 11am was 1pm. Didn't get as cold as expected but is still colder than usual.

Back