What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bathroom, washroom and one hallway wall went up this afternoon.

View attachment 61257
I am curious what was the impetus for you doing this? Did you have a project that this would help with?

For me, it would help with laying out utilities for updating my 130 year old home.

When I was going to school in Washington, DC, I saw an apartment that had previously had an architecture student living in it. He made some of these foam board models and left them behind.

I always thought about the gingerbread houses that people make but have never made one. I always thought if I was going to make one, I would make a model of my Victorian home. I never had though because I have other things to do, such as painting, etc. If my home were in pristine condition, and I had nothing else to do, I would consider it though.

Busy day and a mixed bag of great and sad.
Left the house early, 8:15 to get dog park out of the way for two best friend dogs. Got to second dog park for 70th birthday party of friend from that park. It was great to see some old friends.
Car was driving oddly. Stopped and realized I had a low tire. Went to a tire store and needed a new tire, but didn't have time to wait. Had another appointment to take another dog to a third dog park. They put my spare on, kept my damaged tire and changed it out while I was gone.
Went to pick up 3rd dog and learned the owners were gone to take their cat to be euthanized. Their cat is one I have taken care of many times. She was 18, a tuxedo, weighed 6 pounds, and was just diagnosed with mouth cancer. They have been working with the vet to see what was going on and just got the diagnosis. I picked up the dog and sat in my car and cried for a few minutes. She was a sweet cat who usually slept on the bed when I was there. Went to the dog park, came back and visited a few minutes with the wife. Sad times.
Went to the grocery store to get a plant and card and a few groceries. Took a pot of blooming tulips and card back to them.
Went to the library to pick up videos that I had ordered online. Saw one of my favorite librarians. There are some great people at the library whom I haven't seen in more than a year now. Caught up on news and found out a friend of mine from our crafting group was in the hospital with COVID in February. Her husband was bed bound, because he weighed 500 pounds. She was his care giver. She was hospitalized and kept trying to let people know he was there, with no help. He lay in his bed for 4 days, no food, no water, no help. I'm surprised he didn't die then. Finally, they got him, took him to the hospital where he did die. Now she has no money until his benefits come through, so she has to move home to live with her narcissistic mother. She is a nurse, but hasn't worked for several years, taking care of him. I wonder if people are so busy putting out fires they don't even think about what happens next?

Today turned into a slow day, hit the grocery store at 06:00, seal-a-meal repackaged all the meat into smaller units, got everything put away, went to WM with a long list... Got everything but wooden clothes pins... I got them but they had no price tag on them and the clerk would not send someone to look it up, she told me if I wanted it I would have to go get another package and then get back in line.... No thanks, didn't need them that bad.

Then I loaded up the truck with the shelving unit that got wet, the downed tree limbs, and some rubbish from the yard, took all that to the land fill...

Got back and then reorganized and took measurements off my rain barrels as a first step in building a verticle water storage rack for my rain barrels. I checked on the inside of my outside raised beds, they were full of active ladybugs, the plants were doing find too.

According to the weather man I have 2 more days with temperatures below 30 and then everything looks like high 30s to low 40s at night, so 1 more week and I can start moving out the cold weather crops....

I grilled a couple of burgers for dinner, the temperature was about 40 and there was a breeze blowing so it took longer than I wanted.

Tomorrow I hope to start working on the raised beds....

Home health care nurse was here for wife...how long does that last....geeze.

Cleaned all my edc guns this morning.

Gotta pick up the twins for lunch for their birthday. 15 years old already.
View attachment 61320View attachment 61321

Y'all have a goodun.

Jim

I just saw the pics ,they loaded late, Good looking kids, know your proud granpaw.:heart/flower

@Neb I’ve never heard of recreational digging- sounds like something I’d like to avoid 😂.
Sitting here with an oil lamp since there’s no power. Just received a call that it should be back on by 10:30 pm. Hope so or it’ll be chilly 🥶 and we’ll have to wait for coffee to brew since the clock will need to be reset. Roughing it!
Trying to get all the files off of 3 old dying computers and onto an external hard drive. One computer wouldn’t recognize the HD but worked with a thumb drive 🙄 except instead of folders or files, everything is individual and just a number identification. So, I’ve been going through each one and either rename or delete. Some I will print off then delete. A tad tedious 🤪. Once I sort through it all, I will figure out how to get them into files. At this point I don’t think I’ve lost anything which is good.

Went to bed early but still slept until after 4pm. Dragged myself out of bed and had to go to the post office and store. Brother failed to mention he used up ALL of the cheese, but I didn't find that out until I got home. I just bought 72 slices a couple weeks ago and had a bag of mixed cheeses shredded that I got about a week ago. I wish he didn't eat so much.

Back home and the cat missed me so he's clinging to my arm.

I am curious what was the impetus for you doing this? Did you have a project that this would help with?...

Thirty years ago we had our house built. It was my intention, when we became empty nesters, to down size and use the money gained towards retirement. As retirement came closer I started to design (in my head) our next smaller house. About a year before I retired my wife's tears told me downsizing wasn't going to be an option. But I still have this house plan floating around in my head.

I don't care for cold weather. So I had a list of things to do inside this winter. Well the list lasted to the end of February, now what? Why don't I build a scale model of my house? What scale should I use? I found 1/4" foam board at Wal-Mart. A 2" x 4" studded wall with drywall is 4". 1/4" foam board would equal 4" or 3/4" = 1'. So I started to build a 3/4" scale 3-D model to get the idea out of my head.

Then there is the small hope that once the wife sees the model perhaps....

A foam model sounds cool. I wish I was better at figuring out scale. I sort of want to do a scale model of my house now... But, I need to actually work on the house. LOL.

I might have to go back to the store *again* bc my brother ate ALL the cheese. I bought 72 slices less than 2 weeks ago. That cheese-eating b****** didn't even tell me it was gone.

It's gray and cloudy out right now. Looks like it might rain. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy who installs the barns/carports. He said he'd get back to me sometime this week once he heard from the place on what it would cost. I'm not holding my breath.

Went to bed early but still slept until after 4pm. Dragged myself out of bed and had to go to the post office and store. Brother failed to mention he used up ALL of the cheese, but I didn't find that out until I got home. I just bought 72 slices a couple weeks ago and had a bag of mixed cheeses shredded that I got about a week ago. I wish he didn't eat so much.

Back home and the cat missed me so he's clinging to my arm.

Learn to hide what you want. We had to do this when kids were teens. We found old candy bars in places a year later.

Thirty years ago we had our house built. It was my intention, when we became empty nesters, to down size and use the money gained towards retirement. As retirement came closer I started to design (in my head) our next smaller house. About a year before I retired my wife's tears told me downsizing wasn't going to be an option. But I still have this house plan floating around in my head.

I don't care for cold weather. So I had a list of things to do inside this winter. Well the list lasted to the end of February, now what? Why don't I build a scale model of my house? What scale should I use? I found 1/4" foam board at Wal-Mart. A 2" x 4" studded wall with drywall is 4". 1/4" foam board would equal 4" or 3/4" = 1'. So I started to build a 3/4" scale 3-D model to get the idea out of my head.

Then there is the small hope that once the wife sees the model perhaps....

Hubbys the same way not about size of house because we were already older so built small. but just thats its the first one we built and he is not into change.

Erected (glued in place) the two main floor bedroom walls.
Fertilize the front yard by the house.
Provide guard duties while wife removes the blanket of leaves she wanted last fall from around her flowers. I have orders to be close by encase she sees something that scares her.
Building the refrigerator, stove and clothes washer and dryer for my house model.

Good morning!
Will either walk or do video first.
Take eBay photos.
Make meatloaf from 5# of ground beef. Make one for us and pressure can a few pints (experiment), and freeze what is left in loaf pan(s) for another time.
Easy day!
The wife makes 3 meat loafs at a time, including cooking them in the oven (un-glazed). We eat 1 and she wraps the rest with a layer of parchment paper followed by proper wrapping with freezer paper, labels (with cooking instructions) and dates them and then I put them in the freezer for a later date. We do the same with most casseroles, we switched to 8" by 8" pans so there are fewer leftovers, if the casserole has a cheese topping she puts that in a zip lock bag and places it between the parchment paper and the freezer wrap. Most of them are really easy to finish up, just thaw and cook at 350 for 30 minutes, if cheese add at the end and put back in till it is all bubbly.

The wife makes 3 meat loafs at a time, including cooking them in the oven (un-glazed). We eat 1 and she wraps the rest with a layer of parchment paper followed by proper wrapping with freezer paper, labels (with cooking instructions) and dates them and then I put them in the freezer for a later date. We do the same with most casseroles, we switched to 8" by 8" pans so there are fewer leftovers, if the casserole has a cheese topping she puts that in a zip lock bag and places it between the parchment paper and the freezer wrap. Most of them are really easy to finish up, just thaw and cook at 350 for 30 minutes, if cheese add at the end and put back in till it is all bubbly.

I do the same thing. Freeze exstra. If I made a pot of pasta sauce alwaysmade a huge one. Then make lassaga in several casserole dishes for later. I cook my sauce for hours so why not make extra?

@ThePrincess does similar making up multiple casseroles and freezing them. She would call as she left work and tell me to put them in the oven at;

Three-fitty

:thumbs:

Ben

I went to HD to pick up wood and fasteners, couldn't get all the wood - but I got the 4X4s for the water barrel tower I am planning, when I checked out I almost cried. As I loaded everything up I realized that the up grade to 2 of my raised beds will be just short of $300. I have a dentist appointment this Friday and I realize that I am going to be short on spending cash for a while.... Not Happy....

I have been working out in the back, gathering up soil, trying to move any earth worms that I find into raised beds that are not going to be reworked. I also started adding a wire ring 3" above the outside lip of my raised beds, I hope it will reduce some of the 4 legged traffic...

I went to HD to pick up wood and fasteners, couldn't get all the wood - but I got the 4X4s for the water barrel tower I am planning, when I checked out I almost cried. As I loaded everything up I realized that the up grade to 2 of my raised beds will be just short of $300. I have a dentist appointment this Friday and I realize that I am going to be short on spending cash for a while.... Not Happy....

I have been working out in the back, gathering up soil, trying to move any earth worms that I find into raised beds that are not going to be reworked. I also started adding a wire ring 3" above the outside lip of my raised beds, I hope it will reduce some of the 4 legged traffic...
What will the wire ring do?

Ben

Visit my son's place to help him figure what was wrong with the light in one of his bathrooms. I made him double check the bulb before we went to extremes since we were not sure which breaker was involved.

Turns out it was the bulb and a wonky switch. I like that kind of troubleshooting that does not involve a crawl space.

Paid off the eldest granddaughter for the "As' she got last quarter. I demanded proof before paying. It cost me $90 for 9 As but it is worth it to me to motivate the girls to get good grades. My son he has been borrowing money from her instead of us.

My brother reported the drain line for the french drains and sump pump had backed up after the heavy rain a few days ago. So the sump pump was running constantly pumping water right back into the basement. We decided we will have to dig another trench now that the backyard is 2' higher than it was when we ran the lines for the french drains. It will let him try out his new tiller.

Expecting the girls tonight.

Ben

Workin on raised bed today. Finished with the wood in the bottom. Then while moving the trailer load of compost where I wanted it, tire hit a soft spot and went to the axle. Unloaded 6 wheel barrow loads to the bed, then hooked the big tractor to the kubota and drug the trailer out. Wife had to drive the kubota. Spent hour and a half fooling with that. Got the bed mostly full now. Ill post pics in the garden thread later

Visit my son's place to help him figure what was wrong with the light in one of his bathrooms. I made him double check the bulb before we went to extremes since we were not sure which breaker was involved.

Turns out it was the bulb and a wonky switch. I like that kind of troubleshooting that does not involve a crawl space.

Paid off the eldest granddaughter for the "As' she got last quarter. I demanded proof before paying. It cost me $90 for 9 As but it is worth it to me to motivate the girls to get good grades. My son he has been borrowing money from her instead of us.

My brother reported the drain line for the french drains and sump pump had backed up after the heavy rain a few days ago. So the sump pump was running constantly pumping water right back into the basement. We decided we will have to dig another trench now that the backyard is 2' higher than it was when we ran the lines for the french drains. It will let him try out his new tiller.

Expecting the girls tonight.

Ben

Yall have fun with the grands,we miss ours.

Back