What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I worked out in the yard, got a good start towards getting things organized. Then moved into the house and hung 4 plates in the kitchen for the wife. She has 2 old clocks and other decorated dishes that had not been hung since I remodeled the Kitchen last summer, so it is that much closer to being finished 100%.

She did get stuck again today while I was outside, I was thankful that the window was open and I could hear her. It made me realize that for the rest of the time we have together I will not be able to travel for work anymore unless we had someone staying with her the whole time I was gone. Before COVID-19 I traveled (flew) up to 150,000 miles a year for work and was gone 3 weeks a month, so this could create some new issues for my future work...

Last edited:
Today I worked out in the yard, got a good start towards getting things organized. Then moved into the house and hung 4 plates in the kitchen for the wife. She has 2 old clocks and other decorated dishes that had not been hung since I remodeled the Kitchen last summer, so it is that much closer to being finished 100%.

She did get stuck again today while I was outside, I was thankful that the window was open and I could hear her. It made me realize that for the rest of the time we have together I will not be able to travel for work anymore unless we had someone staying with her the whole time I was gone. Before COVID-19 I traveled (flew) up to 150,000 miles a year for work and was gone 3 weeks a month, so this could create some new issues for my future work...

Sorry about the wife urban and hope you get things figured out so both of you can benefit from decision.

Meerkat, I tried hiding food from him but it doesn't work. He always finds it. Only place I can keep the cheese is in the fridge. Even when we had two separate fridges and he wasn't allowed to get stuff from one of them, he would break that rule and take stuff anyway. I shouldn't have to hide food or have a separate fridge. He's old enough to know better and to have some self-control.

I've been tired today again and my rotator cuff is not cooperating. I tried to lift my toilet base to move it in to the bathroom for a dry fit but my shoulder said "NOPE". I did something to the deltoid muscle as well as the rotator cuff and both of them objected to that attempt. Just took some naproxyn to get the arm calm down. I'm having mini spasms in it.

I made lunch for mom (she's not a breakfast person) but will have to go back to the store again to get more things to cook. Turns out my brother ate all the lunchmeat too.

Sorry to hear the wife is having issue Urban. That's very tough to deal with. Just a question, have you guys tried some FRS radios while you are outside or in the basement? THe range sucks with them, but for the area you are in around the house it should work fine. It would allow her to reach you easily in case something happens and she needs you right now. Just a thought.

Meerkat, I tried hiding food from him but it doesn't work. He always finds it. Only place I can keep the cheese is in the fridge. Even when we had two separate fridges and he wasn't allowed to get stuff from one of them, he would break that rule and take stuff anyway. I shouldn't have to hide food or have a separate fridge. He's old enough to know better and to have some self-control.

I've been tired today again and my rotator cuff is not cooperating. I tried to lift my toilet base to move it in to the bathroom for a dry fit but my shoulder said "NOPE". I did something to the deltoid muscle as well as the rotator cuff and both of them objected to that attempt. Just took some naproxyn to get the arm calm down. I'm having mini spasms in it.

I made lunch for mom (she's not a breakfast person) but will have to go back to the store again to get more things to cook. Turns out my brother ate all the lunchmeat too.

Hope your shoulder heals soon Zanne. Hopefully next week will be better for us,its been a long week. guess the hiding place trick isn't for everyone. We forgot where we hid them sometimes.:huggs:

Sorry to hear the wife is having issue Urban. That's very tough to deal with. Just a question, have you guys tried some FRS radios while you are outside or in the basement? THe range sucks with them, but for the area you are in around the house it should work fine. It would allow her to reach you easily in case something happens and she needs you right now. Just a thought.

Is that the two way type radios we were looking at and you wanted to buy a 6 or 8 pack of them?Hubby liked the idea but got busy on truck and lost interest.

Is that the two way type radios we were looking at and you wanted to buy a 6 or 8 pack of them?Hubby liked the idea but got busy on truck and lost interest.

We use these and they work extremely well and long distances and in/out of the barns etc. We use them at work and on the ranch.

Attachments

• 644D4B01-EBE5-41E5-A1D8-7EECFD96684F.jpeg
    644D4B01-EBE5-41E5-A1D8-7EECFD96684F.jpeg
    630.3 KB · Views: 58

Real sorry to hear about these issues.

No, but I have wireless door-bell chimes around the basement, near my work desk, and out by where I work on the cars. She has "panic buttons" in her room, the bath room, in the kitchen, and one she can carry in her pocket, I will need to install a chime out by the garden this week. She sleeps late so I run errands well before she wakes up, we were told that things would become more difficult over time. We are just trying to adjust to the hand we have been given.

Sorry, Urban. Some days I'm in similar situations.
Sister still visiting till Tuesday, so today I put on a luncheon for her aunt and uncle (not mine) and our family and mom. Then cleaned up, we took mom to the thrift store and the Amish discount store. Grabbed a walker for mom and took her for a walk around the farm. She had a workout. Then made dinner. Sis drove mom home. Not sure what's on the agenda for tomorrow except dinner at my cousins

Well imo you have done a great job with the young man, but a break may be in line.Jake is really growing fast too. Can't beleive how fast.

When I was 16 I worked a summer on a logging crew, my mother made me fine lunch to take with me everyday. It didn't take long for the other "grown men" to take notice of my lunches. Shortly after when I would get my dinner bucket and set down for lunch it would be empty. That went on for about a week and I was getting tired of it. At the time I was riding to work with a older cousin that lived on his own and on the way home I told him about the problem. He smiled at me and said he had an idea to fix the problem. When we got to house we walked about to a shed and he grabbed me a couple cans of Bolo dog food and said make them a sandwich out of this. I took them home and got my momma to make 2 of the prettiest dog food salad sandwiches you had ever seen. She mixed the dog food with mayo and fixed it up like you would a chicken salad sandwich with lettuce. She put a homegrown tomato and knife in my bucket to slice for the sandwich and a slice of homemade apple pie. When I got to work the next morning I told the straw boss what I had done and he was looking forward to lunch as much as I was. Lunchtime finally comes around and I go to the crew truck to get my dinner and I could tell by the weight it was empty. I set down and opened of course it was all gone. I smiled at the boss and started laughing he piped up and told the guys who ever had been stealing the kids lunch had eaten a dog food sandwich! The old boy that had been stealing my lunch started trying to throw up and did. No one ever bothered my lunch for the rest of the summer. So I guess what I'm trying to say is you might want to set yourself a trap, damn sure solved my problems.

No, but I have wireless door-bell chimes around the basement, near my work desk, and out by where I work on the cars. She has "panic buttons" in her room, the bath room, in the kitchen, and one she can carry in her pocket, I will need to install a chime out by the garden this week. She sleeps late so I run errands well before she wakes up, we were told that things would become more difficult over time. We are just trying to adjust to the hand we have been given.
My prayers are with you guys Urban. That is a hard hand to deal with.

Chatted with my folks on face time this afternoon. They got their second jabs yesterday and are feeling sick today. Nothing bad, just body aches and upset tummies. We will not be visiting them for 2 weeks so they should be fine then.

I made a batch of laundry detergent. I ended up grinding the Zote outside for the ventilation. I might just grind a bunch and bag it up by batch size so I don't have to deal with the dust. I inventoried all my laundry supplies and found I have only 4 batches worth of washing soda left but tons of everything else. I added it to the shopping list.

Finished the inventory of our food stores. More than I thought but now I know what needs to be rotated.

When I was 16 I worked a summer on a logging crew, my mother made me fine lunch to take with me everyday. It didn't take long for the other "grown men" to take notice of my lunches. Shortly after when I would get my dinner bucket and set down for lunch it would be empty. That went on for about a week and I was getting tired of it. At the time I was riding to work with a older cousin that lived on his own and on the way home I told him about the problem. He smiled at me and said he had an idea to fix the problem. When we got to house we walked about to a shed and he grabbed me a couple cans of Bolo dog food and said make them a sandwich out of this. I took them home and got my momma to make 2 of the prettiest dog food salad sandwiches you had ever seen. She mixed the dog food with mayo and fixed it up like you would a chicken salad sandwich with lettuce. She put a homegrown tomato and knife in my bucket to slice for the sandwich and a slice of homemade apple pie. When I got to work the next morning I told the straw boss what I had done and he was looking forward to lunch as much as I was. Lunchtime finally comes around and I go to the crew truck to get my dinner and I could tell by the weight it was empty. I set down and opened of course it was all gone. I smiled at the boss and started laughing he piped up and told the guys who ever had been stealing the kids lunch had eaten a dog food sandwich! The old boy that had been stealing my lunch started trying to throw up and did. No one ever bothered my lunch for the rest of the summer. So I guess what I'm trying to say is you might want to set yourself a trap, damn sure solved my problems.

Good for you and the uncle HashB. :thumbs:

I am sorry. This is a tough situation.
BIL in North Dakota had this problem with his dad. They have a farm, so the places he could go and get stuck was potentially a huge area. Dad went out and got stuck one day and somehow they found him. Then they, his grown children, took all the keys. They didn't hide them, they removed them and took them home. His dad eventually passed, but they never had to concern themselves with him driving out somewhere and getting stuck. His dad was NOT happy and they knew he was going to be upset.

We use these and they work extremely well and long distances and in/out of the barns etc. We use them at work and on the ranch.

Double R as I said we were talking about getting the 6 pak a couple years ago then I got sick aand didn't get it done. But we may need to give it another look. I figure a couple extras wouldn't hurt,maybe give one or two to neihbors in case of shtf trouble.

Double R as I said we were talking about getting the 6 pak a couple years ago then I got sick aand didn't get it done. But we may need to give it another look. I figure a couple extras wouldn't hurt,maybe give one or two to neihbors in case of shtf trouble.
That’s a great idea. I thought about a couple more to send over to family around us for the same reason. We’ve been through several brands and by far these have been the best and longest lasting.

I spent the first part of the day digging up Rose of Sharon bushes that I had growing in the backyard nursery. I used them to fill in some gaps in the hedge I have at one of my rental properties. I took some pictures of some of the interesting stuff while I was there.

View attachment 60507

The two white pipes are used to shock the springs under the mounds they emerge from.

View attachment 60508

The pond is feed by those two developed springs and two others.

View attachment 60509

Spring box#1 is running slow.

View attachment 60510

Spring #2 is running a little better.

After planting the Rose of Sharon bushes The Princess joined me for walk to the top of The Ridge to inspect cobditions and plan where we need to replace dead fruit trees and plant Elderberry Service berries and where the chestnut and English walnut groves will go.

The existing fruit trees had what looks like (I am still learning) a lot of fruiting spurs. If a late frost doesn't hit us we may have some apples and pears this year.

I also showed her my pruning strategies I invoked to get an old pear and apple tree to be more useful. Fruit 30-40 feet off of the ground is not of much use. Time will tell if it works out.

Ben

The apple orchards up here prune the trees so the branches are almost 100% horizontal and only 12-20 feet tall if even that.

I think you are talking about the Beafongs. I bought 2 of them. Decent radios for the cost. But they are much wider spread than the pure FRS radios are.and somewhat bigger and heavier. Typical FRS are pretty small and easy to keep in a pocket. But they are very short range usage.

Thanks for info. I'll sure check them out. :thumbs:

Today in Animal Husbandry 101 we learned the male goose we ordered 11 months ago is responsible for the very large eggs that have been showing up in our run. Apparently the hatchery missed something when they selected the "male" gosling to send out way. Soooo, Gus's real name is apparently Giuseppa and not Giuseppe. We are thinking that may be why Gus has been "moody" the last couple weeks. But, on the plus side we will probably be selling goose eggs for about $5 each.

Meerkat, sometimes I hide stuff from myself unintentionally. I put it somewhere I think I will remember and then can't remember. LOL. There was someone who said an object is rarely more than 18" away from where you put it-- that person never had cats. I found something in the center of the front room that was supposed to be in my closed plumbing parts bin 20ft away. Found the cats had overturned my bin and gotten the lid off and dragged it away.

Hashbrown, I'm glad I never had anyone steal my lunch at work. My brother had that problem. Before he was a cook as a job, he liked to cook. He would make himself nearly gourmet meals to eat when he worked at Walmart. People would not only steal his lunch, but they'd toss the empty container in the sink and leave it unwashed. One day he added extra peppers to his food and found the container in the sink but the food in the trash. I remember one of those reddit revenge stories where a guy would cook for his wife and someone was stealing her lunch. He put ghost chili peppers in her lunch & told her not to eat it. The culprit outed himself by screaming, drinking massive amounts of water, and then running to the bathroom.

INresponse, at least Gus turned out to be useful. LOL. I was scrambling some eggs for Mom yesterday- cracked a large egg and it was a double yolker. Store bought one too.

I am sorry. This is a tough situation.
BIL in North Dakota had this problem with his dad. They have a farm, so the places he could go and get stuck was potentially a huge area. Dad went out and got stuck one day and somehow they found him. Then they, his grown children, took all the keys. They didn't hide them, they removed them and took them home. His dad eventually passed, but they never had to concern themselves with him driving out somewhere and getting stuck. His dad was NOT happy and they knew he was going to be upset.

The wife has not been able to drive for almost 10 years, she cannot do the 3 stairs out of the house alone, so she just gets "stuck" in different rooms. She misses the ability to drive, but she will be talking to you and just go to sleep, say a prayer at dinner - she is asleep before the end, not something you want in a driver.. We made her promise not to try to drive and that has worked.

We try to keep it natural as much as we can,but will go the other if it gets complecated,lol. So far haven't eaten any of our birds. We don't have resource to feed them if feed stor closed for whatever reason. So we just have 3 hens now that one ran off. She has run off before and came back.
I think you people who raise your own meat are awesome.Hubby family use to when he was younger but we haven't. He knows how to clean and prepare.

Back to 4 hens,gypsy hen came back.

Latest posts

Back