What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amish Heart, that makes sense. I have a freestanding dishwasher (aka glorified dish drying rack & prep surface).

@Neb, I can't really tell from the angles how close the fridge is to that stove. In the image, the window being part way over the stove bugged me. LOL. You can get an undercabinet range hood with good LED lights, a stainless steel backsplash behind the stove, and I would recommend a 2"x2" aluminium angle stock cut to the width of the backsplash & secured with pan head screws to hold things you may need to have quick access to while cooking on the stove. The stainless steel reflects the light.
Tip when shopping at Lowes and HomeDepot: If the price ends in 6 it will be marked down again in 6 weeks from the date on the price on the shelf. If it says 3 it will be disposed of in 3 weeks from the date. Sometimes if you get there on the day they are supposed to pull it, you can get it for a penny (but I've never caught one of those deals & don't know if they do it locally).

If you were able to get the oven cabinet I linked, I think it would go well replacing the countertop on the end on the right, pop an LED light up above (inside the cavity for the microwave) add a shelf to lift the microwave up more and put some sort of scrap laminate or even clear plastic over the base of the cavity for a prep surface. Add some hooks on the inside to hang oven mitts, some non-slip pads under the microwave so it will stay put...

BartonHome says they offer free kitchen planning. This is the cabinet my friend got that was for a microwave. I've never seen it on their website but they had it in stock when we were getting cabinets.
1619156181914.png

If you are able to find something like that, it could replace a wall cabinet.

I highly recommend undermount cabinet lights, wall or undercabinet mount paper towel holder (not too close to stove or sink though), and an extra coat of poly on any cabinets adjacent to the sink (poly wore off my oak cabinets & they have a little water damage I need to sand off & re-poly). Barton's sells side cover panels for the cabinets so the exposed edge will be oak instead of plywood.

Are you going to be changing electrical at all? I'm curious as to where outlets are located, how many appliances you'll have on counters or that may be needed at one time. We lose a lot of counter space to our electric 7-in-1 pressure cookers (8qt and 6qt) but they are worth it. You might want to consider a short cabinet or even shelf above the window so you can put up an LED light for when it's dark out & you want to see in to the sink. (I get very excited talking about renovations with people).

Last edited:
Sorry I have been AWOL :).

Getting really cool here now even though we are in autumn
is getting to between 3 - 5 oc overnight.

Glad you are back! Wondered how yall were doing. Glad to hear your hubby is doing well also.

Funny, it was 36 here last night, about 3c... Early spring, several members got snow yesterday. I didn't get snow and it didn't freeze thankfully, already have tomatoes, onions and potatoes growing in the garden, oh, and a few jalapeno pepper plants. I planted corn but the seed was bad. Thinking replanting tomorrow.

-----------------------------

Worked around the corral clearing brush again. Ran the weedeater around my elderberry bushes and chicken pen. I took the big pruning shears to a bunch of poison ivy vines, cat briers and sand pebble vines, they all had to go. I have a couple of big muscadine vines in those same trees, hopefully they will start producing better without competition.

Today is a day off, so got up at normal time, got breakfast, went to grocery store, hit Wmart for some of the things the grocery store didn't have, now the 2 Wmarts near me are out too (They weren't out when I got there but they were out when I left. I came home and put everything but the canned goods away (I need to date and inventory the canned goods before I put them away). I am taking a break at the dum-puter, cause every time I sit down at it I lose an hour....

Need to hit HD for some lumber and then load the truck up to go to the land-fill. The lawn needs mowing and the washing machine has not fixed itself yet....

I love my days off, I get so much extra exercise... intended to say rest, but that never works out.

Have a great Friday!

Headed to O'reilly's to pickup a new gas tank for the little 89 Lebaron.
I was not surprised that they would find a bad tank once they got the bad fuel pump out. The car set for 25 years.

Then the wife wants to go shopping a little bit. Then lunch.

A big todo last night for graduates of HS.
My granddaughter got 6 scholarship awarded. Today is graduation.
Proud gampa.

See y'all y'all in a while.

Jim

Headed to O'reilly's to pickup a new gas tank for the little 89 Lebaron.
I was not surprised that they would find a bad tank once they got the bad fuel pump out. The car set for 25 years.

Then the wife wants to go shopping a little bit. Then lunch.

A big todo last night for graduates of HS.
My granddaughter got 6 scholarship awarded. Today is graduation.
Proud gampa.

See y'all y'all in a while.

Jim
That is so awesome! I hope she has lots of support and encouragement to get a good education. An education can never be taken away from you. Since we do not know what life has in store for us, a good education is something to take care of ones self, imho.

Hey @The Lazy L, You and me both. If I were building a house today I would insulate all the wall and triple the exterior walls. Noise is a bigger problem than I could have imagined.

Today is going nicely, I took the washing machine apart (it's just what I do), found the technicians manual but it only looks for electrical problems and it sounded mechanical to me, so I removed the agitator and carrier, checked the shaft and gears for play, cleaned things up (some where in the process the binding seemed to clear up) reassembled it, cleared the codes and POOF it started working again. I know that it is only a matter of time before the motor/gearbox fails as that is the only thing that would cause that type of problem. I checked and the parts are $300, a new machine is $600, so I think I need to keep the loads light and start saving for a new machine.... But hey, I can do laundry again on my schedule, which is a blessing. :)

That is so awesome! I hope she has lots of support and encouragement to get a good education. An education can never be taken away from you. Since we do not know what life has in store for us, a good education is something to take care of ones self, imho.
She wants to be a lawyer.
Today is last day of school, she starts working next week in a law office.

She's really smart.
She got tons of awards last night.
1597719465450.jpg
1597719343695.jpg

Jim

Uncle is visiting from UT, staying with folks so went to visit last night since these couple of days are shot! Had a nice visit. Returned home about 9PM (late for us) and got to make a call to 911 as we were pulling into the drive. The transformer on the power pole just off the road/on our drive was on fire. We've had long days and were whooped. Hubby took a shower while I stayed awake until the trucks showed up, then we went to bed. They evidently got it put out and power off then back on. Clocks were blinking this morning. You know you're getting old when fire trucks in front of your house don't keep you awake 😂

Got my special event contact certificate for the show Last Man Standing. If you have ever watched the show you know that ham radio plays a small part in the storyline. The show is getting ready to go off the air and there are many hams that are part of the crew and cast. Over the years they have made contacts from the stage but it’s very difficult with all the electrical noise that they have on stage. They did a special event with other radio operators around the country for a certificate.

B2A721AF-C39F-4D40-9FF7-4F6357836B31.jpeg

I'm awake & waiting for my mother to get up so we can take that package back to the UPS store. She kept getting mad at me on previous days because I didn't read her mind & couldn't see her feet under her desk to see that she had her shoes on. She was asking "Didn't you see I had my shoes on?!" and I said "No, I couldn't see your feet!" It reminds me of when we'd be in the car driving home & she would get her keys out & not say she wanted to stop at the mailbox (which was across the street from our cul de sac). She would get angry & say "Why didn't you stop?!" and Dad would say "I didn't know you wanted me to" and she would say "I was jingling my keys!" and he said "I thought you were getting the house keys out." Then she would say "No! These are the house keys & they make a different sound!" She would then shake both sets of house keys & they sounded exactly the same, but in her mind they were different. Then one day she got keys out & he stopped at the mailbox & she yelled at him "Why are you stopping!?" and he said "You got the keys out!' and she'd say "These are the house keys!" and did the key jingling demonstration again & we both told her they sound the same.

I have explained to her many times that if she wants something, she needs to communicate it verbally because her non-verbal cues are either not seen at all or can be misconstrued as something else. I remember being on car trips where she would say "Oh look, a Wendy's" and if my dad didn't stop she would get mad. But if he did stop she'd get mad because sometimes she meant "I want to stop at Wendy's" and sometimes she was commenting that it existed & we could never tell the difference.
I know it sounds like a rant, but in retrospect it's kinda funny to me.

While typing this, Mom paged to say she's getting ready to go. Generally takes her 15 to 20 minutes. I can be out the door in less than 5 on a good day (meaning my body cooperates enough to stand up easily).

Brother is still doing real work and it is still cold so...

I used Lowes kitchen designer to produce a prelim design.

View attachment 64048

I am not worried about making the cabinets match right now since my brother and The Princess will suggest changes.

It is a start.

Ben
Not that my opinion counts.
But wouldn't it be a safety hazard to have the stove that close to the sink.
I agree with the others.
Your appliances work better in triangle.
Better work flow.
I personally don't like microwave above my head.
But I could probably be an accident waiting to happen.
I would prefer the microwave in cabinet waist high or even knee high.

Not that my opinion counts.
But wouldn't it be a safety hazard to have the stove that close to the sink.
I agree with the others.
Your appliances work better in triangle.
Better work flow.
I personally don't like microwave above my head.
But I could probably be an accident waiting to happen.
I would prefer the microwave in cabinet waist high or even knee high.
The only thing that counts is the math.

If it does not fit
That design obits.

All ideas are helpful.

There is wisdom ina multitude of counselors.

Ben

Wandering around house.
The weather won't cooperate.
I will have to cover my garden tonight.
Dishes are done.
Been unraveling knitting made on knitting machine.
Dropped stitches.
Strawberry comes home tomorrow.
She's been visiting my oldest son and oldest grand daughter's house.
While I regroup from doctor's appointment.
Will have to cook today.
Crocheting on blanket, napping.

Hey @The Lazy L, You and me both. If I were building a house today I would insulate all the wall and triple the exterior walls. Noise is a bigger problem than I could have imagined.

Today is going nicely, I took the washing machine apart (it's just what I do), found the technicians manual but it only looks for electrical problems and it sounded mechanical to me, so I removed the agitator and carrier, checked the shaft and gears for play, cleaned things up (some where in the process the binding seemed to clear up) reassembled it, cleared the codes and POOF it started working again. I know that it is only a matter of time before the motor/gearbox fails as that is the only thing that would cause that type of problem. I checked and the parts are $300, a new machine is $600, so I think I need to keep the loads light and start saving for a new machine.... But hey, I can do laundry again on my schedule, which is a blessing. :)
A number of years back the old Whirlpool washer and dryer, bought them about 1976-77, started giving up, not bad for all the years of use, anyway we ended up getting a new Whirlpool he new washer and dryer, the new fancy front loader washer, brought them home and when we went to use the washing machine it didn't work, seems the door interlock wasn't working, I pulled the spring from the boot that goes from the cabinet to the wash area and low and behold the interlock wasn't plugged in. Made in China? At least most of the parts seem to be, probably even the metal. Wonder if it was even assembled here in the USA, that seems like what's being done now days and everyone pats themselves on the back for being "Made in America", I jumped on the parts guy at a appliance dealership that had ads on the local TV stations saying their products were made in America and when I checked on some parts for our new Kitchen-Aid refrigerator I found labels saying Made in China, once again, probably all parts and materials were made there and it was assembled in the USA. We're so indebted to the Chinese that we are blinded to what's going on and it's probably only going to get worse. At 78 years, boy do I ever miss the "Good Old Days", I miss the manual controls, hate it when computer buttons run everything.

@Neb What about a couple of shelves in front of the upper window, metal for growing cooking herbs in small pots... assuming the window has strong sunlight.

With so little storage space I'd enclose the upper area above the top cabinets for pot and pan storage. Keep the area from collecting dust.

Last edited:
A number of years back the old Whirlpool washer and dryer, bought them about 1976-77, started giving up, not bad for all the years of use, anyway we ended up getting a new Whirlpool he new washer and dryer, the new fancy front loader washer, brought them home and when we went to use the washing machine it didn't work, seems the door interlock wasn't working, I pulled the spring from the boot that goes from the cabinet to the wash area and low and behold the interlock wasn't plugged in. Made in China? At least most of the parts seem to be, probably even the metal. Wonder if it was even assembled here in the USA, that seems like what's being done now days and everyone pats themselves on the back for being "Made in America", I jumped on the parts guy at a appliance dealership that had ads on the local TV stations saying their products were made in America and when I checked on some parts for our new Kitchen-Aid refrigerator I found labels saying Made in China, once again, probably all parts and materials were made there and it was assembled in the USA. We're so indebted to the Chinese that we are blinded to what's going on and it's probably only going to get worse. At 78 years, boy do I ever miss the "Good Old Days", I miss the manual controls, hate it when computer buttons run everything.

I'm cogs and gears also!

Mo's mentioning of appliances made me think of smaller countertop appliances. One thing you will want to do is measure the tallest one & make sure they will fit. The cabinets near our sink come down too far & our pressure cookers can't fit under them without removing the lids They are also too large to fit inside any of the cabinets. Coffee maker & microwave are also too tall so we had to put them on a different counter. Mind you, these cabinets were designed and built looong before we had the pressure cookers and we used to have a 3.0cuft Montgomery Ward convection microwave that sat where the current smaller microwave is now.

@Neb, in that spot where you have the pantry cabinet, it looks like it would be a good place for the microwave if it had an open compartment (like the thing I linked before). Of course, if you're handy enough, you can build your own cabinets. Bourbonmoth Woodworking on Youtube has some good tutorials on cabinets (and he has a sense of humor that makes things interesting).

If you are able to make that cabinet to the left of the sink (between sink & fridge) a little bit smaller you can bump the fridge away from the wall more (it will need clearance for the door to open) and put in roll-out shelf.
1619220486874.png
1619220533851.png

If you don't have a lot of space you could make a fold-down murphy table and get some folding dining chairs that can hang on the wall. Looks like you could have a murphy table on the wall opposite of the sink. (You can make it winder/longer than the one in this example)
1619220742440.png

I'm also curious about the plumbing. How will you be doing the kitchen sink & dishwasher drains? I'm guessing you will have the tailpiece with inlet for washing machine coming out of the sink but will you be doing an island vent or how will you be handling the vent for the sink's plumbing? It needs to remain vertical for a minimum of 6" above the flood level of the sink before the vent can go horizontal again. To get around that window it will have to either be routed on the outside of the house & up around soffits or it will have to go through the lower cripples & jack studs for the window.

To the right of the sink you might be able to add rounded corner shelves on to the side of the cabinet-- sort of like in this image:
1619221185697.png

Except rounded like this (and if you got something like this one you could mount one on either side of the window and secure it to the wall from just one side).
1619221214581.png

Oh, and if the side of your fridge is magnetic, you can get something like this to stick on to hold paper towels and other things:
1619221378590.png

(I'm thinking your kitchen reno could use it's own thread- I may be more excited about this than you are. LOL)

Mom took about 20min to get ready. She got some packing tape and brought the paper with the QR code on it. They charge to put tape on a box there. It printed out HUGE. I was able to cut off some strips of paper to tape over the old bar codes and address on the Amazon box. Walked in the door and asked if the QR code was OK. The guy in UPS office laughed and scanned it from 5ft away. Printed the label, printed the receipt, slapped label on box & wished us a good day. Took less than 1 minute. Went to eat at Panda. Usual waiters weren't there, but there's a new waiter, I heard the owner call him Garcia & I've heard a bit of an accent when he speaks (although he doesn't talk much). When he cleared some plates from our table I said "Gracias". He looked a little surprised but responded with "De nada".
Popped in to Hobby Lobby to look at upholstery fabrics. I saw one that was gray & incredibly soft but they didn't have it in black. They had a canvass like material in black. Canvass tends to hold up to claws pretty well BUT the cats LOVE to claw it. I may get some for some craft products later on. I need to make myself a new phone pouch as mine is starting to tear in places. I found a set of 3 wooden shelves for 30% off. They were the last ones there & it was cheaper than buying the materials to build them (I had planned to make a shelf of that exact design for the guest bathroom). Now I have 3 different sizes to work with & can mount them in different rooms if I want. I will need to reinforce them of course-- The supports are held on by 2 staples. I will use angle brackets, sand them, prime them, and paint them.

Last edited:
Well today finished up pretty good. My main computer died, I had to find the homesteadingforum website with my laptop (I should have sent myself a link). Then I had to remember who I am and my password....

The day went well, after I fixed the washer I was able to do 5 loads. I got a truck load of tree roots delivered to the land fill. Then I mowed the lawn (saved the clippings to put in the bottom of the new raised bed (I hope to assemble tomorrow). The wife made 3 meat loafs and we froze them, then we had leftovers for dinner. I mulched 6 trees and then moved the old raised bed boxes out of the way.

I am hoping I can get my main computer's operating system back up by tomorrow, I hate this laptop...

Latest posts

Back