What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from the Dr. We did a fasting glucose test for the kid. When we got there her fasting blood test was at 65. 2 hrs after drinking the glucose stuff it was 75. Now we are waiting for the other blood work to come back.

Last edited:
My sis is hypoglycemic. She went through testing, too, after she'd pass out and hit her head when she skipped a meal. She does well eating protein with three meals a day, and keeps nuts, protein bars with her in case she's late getting a meal. It took her awhile, but as an adult she can predict when she needs something. I had gestational diabetes with 3 of my 5 pregnancies. That was a weird feeling, not being diabetic before. But protein snacks and very little carbs and sugar was what I had to do. I'm normally not diabetic, not even borderline. Weird. Hope your daughter gets straightened out and the doctors and you find a happy medium for her. She'll feel much better. I'm sure the headaches had a lot to do with it.

My sis is hypoglycemic. She went through testing, too, after she'd pass out and hit her head when she skipped a meal. She does well eating protein with three meals a day, and keeps nuts, protein bars with her in case she's late getting a meal. It took her awhile, but as an adult she can predict when she needs something. I had gestational diabetes with 3 of my 5 pregnancies. That was a weird feeling, not being diabetic before. But protein snacks and very little carbs and sugar was what I had to do. I'm normally not diabetic, not even borderline. Weird. Hope your daughter gets straightened out and the doctors and you find a happy medium for her. She'll feel much better. I'm sure the headaches had a lot to do with it.

I'm thinking the headaches are related to this and not actual migraines like we thought.

They tested me and both kids. I've always been on the low side of normal. I was concerned about my oldest since she's a bit heavy and started eating a bunch of junk since she moved out but she tested close to my numbers.

I swear that if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all! I am already mobility-challenged and get around with an electric scooter. Yesterday morning, while loading the scooter onto the carrier on the back of my car, it slipped and fell off- onto my foot. The dang scooter weighs about 250 pounds, so it was hard to lift it off the foot, and it managed to give me a nice laceration in addition to crushing the muscles and tendons. Fortunately, I have bones of steel and nothing broke, but now I am non-weight bearing, wearing another stupid ortho boot, and using a walker when I can't ride the scooter. <Sigh> At least my foot is all kinds of pretty colors! Now if only the swelling would go down so it didn't look like a summer sausage!!!!
:cry:
Ohhhh! Poooor girl. I'll bet that started!

I changed the oil and filter in the '94 Ranger and changed the oil and filter plus greased the smower,getting it ready for the summer.
No sense in waiting till the last minute is there. I had to go to Lowe's today and priced mowers. I think I'll look for a used one!

went to wednesday only sale at local grocery store. i don;t get into town very much . they had charcoal on sale [kingsford 2 packs], so i had put 3 in the buggy. a lady came by and demanded that i give her one. i told her no ,and that she could ask if they had anymore in the back or get a raincheck,which is what i would;ve done.i just don't get people anymore. i guess it is time for me to get away with having to deal with the publc. it seems to be getting worse instead of better. on a brighter note we are going to visit my hubby's oldest brother today . he is 88 and health failing. they live an hour away,then hubby is taking me out for supper and to a flea market for my birthday. girls at work gave me some money for birthday. so maybe i can find something christmas related--and maybe get to see great-grandsons also since we will be close to their home.

I get that feeling too, Timmie when I'm shopping. I normally never shop at Walmart, but needed small wading pools for the duck areas and I new they had them. I was going to load up the car, and was surprised at the number of young people sitting in their cars. Doing what? Looked odd. One lady holding a baby asked me to come over to her. I kept on walking. I've got lots of housework to do this weekend. Going to our daughter's tomorrow for granddaughters birthday. Need to mix some more moonshine. Need to start some oat and sunflower seed in the duck area.

I swear that if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all! I am already mobility-challenged and get around with an electric scooter. Yesterday morning, while loading the scooter onto the carrier on the back of my car, it slipped and fell off- onto my foot. The dang scooter weighs about 250 pounds, so it was hard to lift it off the foot, and it managed to give me a nice laceration in addition to crushing the muscles and tendons. Fortunately, I have bones of steel and nothing broke, but now I am non-weight bearing, wearing another stupid ortho boot, and using a walker when I can't ride the scooter. <Sigh> At least my foot is all kinds of pretty colors! Now if only the swelling would go down so it didn't look like a summer sausage!!!!
:cry:

Sorry to hear that. We have to be careful and slow down at our age.

Wow! That's like adding insult to injury! I sure hope you heal soon!

DH has no blockages at all so now to get VA to find a pulmonologist in our area to go to! Praising the Lord for no blockages at all! I was all set to blame myself for the way I cook if he had to have stents. So can I be happy for the way I cook since he has no blockages? We eat very little processed food at all, but do have sugar in some things.

I am so tired and DH can't do anything at all for the next 3 days which isn't a big difference, but still. I know this is all temporary, including our time here on earth!

So true, :I agree::thumbs up:

We are hosting a birthday party for my 7 year old granddaughter here. Her entire classroom will be here, along with several cousins and other friends. Since it is mermaid themed, we rented a bounce house, built elaborate mermaids with an ocean theme, photo booths, painting areas, pizza, cake, pinatas, and ice cream. Darn kids are spoiled these days.

We are hosting a birthday party for my 7 year old granddaughter here. Her entire classroom will be here, along with several cousins and other friends. Since it is mermaid themed, we rented a bounce house, built elaborate mermaids with an ocean theme, photo booths, painting areas, pizza, cake, pinatas, and ice cream. Darn kids are spoiled these days.

That's not on the kids. That's on the grandparents. :D

My ladies are all sewing today. The Mrs. is working on Quilt #2 and the girls are all making pillows that match the quilts (via a sewing class at a local fabric store). So the younger boy and I are going to go shooting and then out for lunch. After that we will probably work on cleaning up the garage and/or man cave.

I would have to agree, except granddaughter decided exactly who would be there, what theme the party would be, the colors of the party (purple and blue) and she even demanded a white birthday cake, with white buttercream frosting, and it must contain a lemon filling!

I personally offered to send them all to "Chuckie Cheese" on my dime but nope, what Amelia wants, Amelia gets!

Staying home and cleaning house that was supposed to be done yesterday. I'm sure I will come up with other projects, too!

We started out at 62 this morning and it is headed down from there. 38 tonight which sounds like a heat wave to some of you all!

Today, I am making a pint of homemade seasoned salt and them making donuts from crescent rolls (we will see how that goes).

Big storm last night and only slept a little over 5 hours so trying to take it a bit easy today!

Last edited:
That's not on the kids. That's on the grandparents. :D

We had lots of fun with grandkids, great grands not so much. Love them but they are a hand full for old people.
I told one not to keep slamming door, so he looked at me smiled and slammed the hell out it, second time I said he slams it again and its 'switch' time,she got mad and they left. :chevy:. Drive safe is all I said.:swinging:

We had lots of fun with grandkids, great grands not so much. Love them but they are a hand full for old people.
I told one not to keep slamming door, so he looked at me smiled and slammed the hell out it, second time I said he slams it again and its 'switch' time,she got mad and they left. :chevy:. Drive safe is all I said.:swinging:
Good for you,no sense in parents letting their kids act that way.

Good for you,no sense in parents letting their kids act that way.

Yea it the two boys whos mother is in prison for next 30 years, so daughter feels sorry for them, but making victims out of them won't help.
Daughter is finally starting to see that and I hear they mind now ,sometimes.

Today we are doing spring cleaning and putting up winter clothing,takign out summer clothing.
Worked in garden past couple days and cooked mustard and turnip greens we harvested .
Had great turnip omelette from our organic garden. Cooked 2 gallons of mixed organic greens.

Washing clothes and cleanign house.

Hope its not high enough for them to put you on statans ' spell' , those things are not good fro anyone except big pharma, IMO.
You mean pravastatin?? I've been on them for about a year now even though she said it wasn't really that high,just a tad high. It wasn't much higher than it was before when I was seeing the other doc in the same office and he didn't even worry about it.

Errrrrrr! Got more snow last. About 3 inches of it. Man it is time for some warm weather! Was going to work in the yard this weekend bu t not now.

I broke down and ordered an electric wheelchair today. The scooter that I've been using is on its last legs (or wheels!!!) and so rather than get another scooter, I figured the chair is smaller, fits in more places, and won't take up as much space in my office. It's a rotten feeling to think my days of running and hiking are probably behind me, but life does go on. Now I need to figure out how to charge this thing if the power goes down! I wonder if I could mount my carbine on one of the armrests and make it into a mini tank????? (trying to be really positive about it!)
ctm2800-5.jpg

Now I need to figure out how to charge this thing if the power goes down! I wonder if I could mount my carbine on one of the armrests and make it into a mini tank????? (trying to be really positive about it!)

Now that's positive prepping! I look forward to seeing how you charge it without electric! The carbine would just be frosting on the cake!

Our son brought by three adult ducks that a friend didn't want, so they are trying out the new duck habitat we built, and enjoying every minute. Such a crack up to watch. I guess they were pretty confined where they were, and so they are happy to be swimming. They to be a pair of Khaki Campbells and a drake something with a pom on his head. She said a drake peking, but it's brown with a white pom, so I don't know what it is. They are trying out each of the four wading pools. Finished making 2 pints of citrus powder, cleaned all the animals, did housework and picked up granddaughter from the sleepover party. Got a little storage cleaned out. Am taking a break, still need to clean the floors and clean the fridge before dinner. But...I think I'll wander over to our side property and bring some treats to my two grandson dogs. I haven't visited with them for awhile.

It was stormy and rained most of the night, didn’t sleep well. Its been cold and damp all day. We are under a freeze warning for tonight. The only thing I did was move all the plants from the porch to the laundry room. My sweet corn is coming up in the garden. I hope it doesn’t get burned tonight.

My nephew came by and brought me a hamburger from town. To be honest… it was a crappy burger, but it was free. Just plan to watch tv tonight.

Now that's positive prepping! I look forward to seeing how you charge it without electric! The carbine would just be frosting on the cake!
Positive prepping- I like that! I am thinking maybe a couple of solar panels- it is supposed to get 14 miles to the charge, and I don't think i'd be going that far with it..... either that, or generator, if it doesn't take too long to charge. I have a crank radio/light that will charge my phone, but I suspect it would be WAY too much cranking to charge the chair!!! :eyeballs:

Positive prepping- I like that! I am thinking maybe a couple of solar panels- it is supposed to get 14 miles to the charge, and I don't think i'd be going that far with it..... either that, or generator, if it doesn't take too long to charge. I have a crank radio/light that will charge my phone, but I suspect it would be WAY too much cranking to charge the chair!!! :eyeballs:

The manual with the chair will give its charging requirements. I'd make a plan after reading it, a small generator would probably be the best back up. The small honda generators are super quiet and reliable, a little pricey but you get what you pay for.

Our son brought by three adult ducks that a friend didn't want, so they are trying out the new duck habitat we built, and enjoying every minute. Such a crack up to watch. I guess they were pretty confined where they were, and so they are happy to be swimming. They to be a pair of Khaki Campbells and a drake something with a pom on his head. She said a drake peking, but it's brown with a white pom, so I don't know what it is. They are trying out each of the four wading pools. Finished making 2 pints of citrus powder, cleaned all the animals, did housework and picked up granddaughter from the sleepover party. Got a little storage cleaned out. Am taking a break, still need to clean the floors and clean the fridge before dinner. But...I think I'll wander over to our side property and bring some treats to my two grandson dogs. I haven't visited with them for awhile.
I love our ducks,and geese too. They can be very entertaining at times.

I need to go to town today to get a few more things. Been waiting on an order at Walmart that was suppose to be here Friday but it's running late. I was hoping to do it all in 1 trip but I doubt it happens that way.

Latest posts

Back