What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it bad. I carry glucose tablets with me all the time for those episodes. You can get them at wmart for $1 for a little tube of them.

Thanks. She had blood drawn for a bunch of tests this morning. She ate a granola bar and had some Gatorade when we left, about 9:45ish. We had chicken, mashed taters with gravy and a biscuit for lunch at 11:00. At 12 my sister brought her glucose meter over and checked her and she was at 87. At 1 she was at 98. She was feeling shaky again at 3 while I was at work so she had some toast and a coke. At 4:30 she was at 89. Not exactly sure where she should be but our Dr is not real happy.

Checked mine at the same time to keep the kid happy and mine was at 120 an hr after lunch.

When mine drops it gets into the 40s. It is not a good feeling.

I hear ya. loud and clear. At 70 hands start to shake, at 60 can't hardly open a candy wrapper to drive the number back up. Not fun at all. At 40 I would be out and on the way to hospital. I tend to drop very fast and I also can recover very fast. Double edged sword.

When mine drops it gets into the 40s. It is not a good feeling.

This makes me wonder if her migraines are actually migraines. The meds don't seem to help. She usually eats something and lays down for a while then eats again when she gets up.

I hear ya. loud and clear. At 70 hands start to shake, at 60 can't hardly open a candy wrapper to drive the number back up. Not fun at all. At 40 I would be out and on the way to hospital. I tend to drop very fast and I also can recover very fast. Double edged sword.

The kid gets shaky and dizzy then her head starts a to hurt. Happened this morning when we were waiting for the blood draw. Quit a few minutes after she ate.

The kid gets shaky and dizzy then her head start a to hurt. Happened this morning when we were waiting for the blood draw.

Not a doc but this does sound like a blood glucose problem. I am never far from my sugar fixes. I have to have them close, no time to go to store or even next door. The doc should be able to spot this problem quickly but it does not hurt to mention the possibility. Keep us posted and I am wishing you the best. Gumpy will take care of the prayer, we made a deal.

The shakyness and dizziness started shortly after the migraines did so we figured they were caused by the migrane. After the way everything quit so soon after eating a few bites last week I'm not so sure. It may be the migraines is a symptom as well. I'll have to ask.

Not a doc but this does sound like a blood glucose problem. I am never far from my sugar fixes. I have to have them close, no time to go to store or even next door. The doc should be able to spot this problem quickly but it does not hurt to mention the possibility. Keep us posted and I am wishing you the best. Gumpy will take care of the prayer, we made a deal.

Thanks, I saw the deal. Our Doc said It sounds like hypoglycemia but wants to see the test results for an "official" diagnosis. My Grandfather had low blood sugar, my dad and sister are both type 2 and my blood sugar has always been on the low side of normal. It runs in the family.

I've got it covered. That's some bad dangerous stuff. @Terri9630 what's your daughter's name. If you don't want to post it, pm me.

DH's back was not up to plowing today so he stained removed some clothing, put on a load of washing and will shortly bring it back in and put on a loaf of bread in the bread making machine. He then watered the part of the front lawn with saved grey water from our showers and washing machine. I went out into the front herb gardens and picked all the ripe lavender and bundled it up with elastic bands to dry and DH tied the twine on the curtain rail in the hallway and hung them up.

We went into town and got some more stamps as we had run out and got some probiotic tablets for DH and stocked up on some paracetamol. Shortly I shall water some more of the front and side of house lawn with more saved grey water, poor grass that is all it gets around here being on water restrictions unless of course it rains.

Tonight we shall fold up 2 loads of clean washing and wash the dishes, clean benches and put them away.

I need to make a quick stop at the grocery before work this morning, so I need to get myself in gear pretty soon. It's the first day of picture day at the preschool, and the parents get a little strange the first day, so I need to be in early. We are also doing our "all school" outdoor group photo outside. That is always an interesting shot to get. The photographer takes about a dozen shots, trying to find the one where most of the little ones are not running away, turning around, sticking out their tongue...etc. We have a photo from each year hanging in our "lobby". This year's will make 15.

Yesterday we got our chicken coop and run mostly completed. Chicks are hatched and growing! We will meet them on April 27th!!! So excited.

I also planted some more swiss chard as the first round is coming along nicely.

Today I will be planting sunflowers along the southern facing side of our privacy fence. And if I have time and energy I will be planting ornamental gourds along a wire fence line. I also bought corn, beans and squash ( pie pumpkin and jackolaterns ) for our 3 sisters garden.

Im ordering some pretty multi colored corn too from SESE. I'm hoping to have sose nice decorations for fall and treats for the birds!

Killing ants!

Cooking sausage and eggs and making pico de gallo for morning breakfast burritos (low carb tortilla). Also making baked beans and grilling chicken. Yesterday I made a green bean salad with just a can of green beans and Italian dressing. We tried the ham and bean soup that I canned and it is wonderful!!! Trying to get a little ahead with DH maybe in the hospital overnight tomorrow evening.

So I had a big day planned, after waiting for weeks the chicks were scheduled to arrive at the feed store so I made out a list last night and planned to run into town, hit the grocery store, the feed store, then get the chicks, set them up up in a box with heating pad, change the shavings in the coop etc... so they can go under the hens tonight (and putting it off for a day isn't an option).

Then I woke up at 5 am sick as all get out with a pounding headache and major nausea. First thought at 5 am was "Oh no...I have to get the chicks this morning!" so I took some tylenol and tried to sleep a couple of more hours. After an hour I took two stronger pain pills (while still heaving constantly on an empty stomach, and trying to keep the pills down) and finally fell back asleep.

Got up an hour ago and called the feed store to see if the chicks came in while praying they did not, and thank God they did not arrive. They will come in tomorrow. I feel so relieved, getting chicks is super fun and exciting but today would not have been a good day at all.

Last edited:
I’m glad I didn’t get around to potting all the plants I bought. I just heard on the news there is a freeze warning tonight for my county. So, I moved everything inside. Earlier, I went to town for chicken feed.

I did something else today that was a long time in coming… I paid off a credit card, it’s the 3rd one in 2 years. The first 2 I canceled, going to keep this one around for emergencies. :)

Spent the first half of the day at the range with the kid. She missed going to state in rifle by 5 points. She is still going but for archery.

Spent the second part of the day at the Drs. The kid has been getting headaches, feeling dizzy, shaky and tired off and on since Feb. Probably longer, we just put the symptoms together last week when she told me she was dizzy, had a headache and wanted to take a nap. I told her to eat first and a few minutes later she was fine. My grandfather was hypoglycemic and had the same symptoms. We go back in the morning for fasting blood work and lots of glucose testing.

I missed this one hope all better today. I'm up and down all day and miss some post. :flower:

Hauled large rocks home and carefully placed them around the base of our shed. Before placing the rocks I "skirted" the shed with chicken wire. The wire and rocks will keep the skunks from living under the shed. The rock base looks nice too!
The only problem is that moving heavy rocks is a young man's chore and there were no young men living here.:)

Scary stuff. I used to work on a CT designed to scan the heart, was in the business you might say. Treadmills aren’t nearly as dangerous as they were 25 years ago. Today doctors are much better at spotting at risk patients.

Back in the day 10% of people who took a treadmill test had a heart attack a few hours later. At that time 50% of first time heart attacks were fatal. So, 5% of the people who had a treadmill test on any given day was going to die that night. I remember being astonished when I read those numbers on the NIH website. It happened to the daughter of a friend in ’98.

I just copied this from the NIH https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/stress-testing

Stress tests pose little risk of serious harm. The chance of these tests causing a heart attack or death is about 1 in 5,000. More common, but less serious side effects linked to stress testing include…

Like I said, medicine has come a long way in 25 years. I wish you the best! :)

I guess so they snatch you from table to treadmill so fast it is enough to make you pass out.

So I didn't get much done, though I did clean up two cat carriers for the hens. One had been in storage for years and I couldn't find the door! Finally looked around to see what else I could use to make a replacement. Ended up cutting a new door out of 1/4 inch plywood and adding a couple of rods to act as a hinge and keep it closed. Came out better than I expected.

At dusk I locked up the hen house and moved the broodies and their eggs into the carriers. Neither of them fussed, they both settled right in which was a relief. The chicks should arrive tomorrow. I am excited.

So I didn't get much done, though I did clean up two cat carriers for the hens. One had been in storage for years and I couldn't find the door! Finally looked around to see what else I could use to make a replacement. Ended up cutting a new door out of 1/4 inch plywood and adding a couple of rods to act as a hinge and keep it closed. Came out better than I expected.

At dusk I locked up the hen house and moved the broodies and their eggs into the carriers. Neither of them fussed, they both settled right in which was a relief. The chicks should arrive tomorrow. I am excited.

You sound like you are feeling better.

I'm really jealous. I don't know when I'm retiring. Could be good, could be bad. Our son's ex girlfriend came for Easter supper with her kids, two of them are my grandsons. Not unusual, because they come for Sunday dinner a lot of the time, even with her current boyfriend. She was talking about hilarious youtubes and mentioned the one that the other prepper site we all left was promoting. Her and her boyfriend love it. She is black and current boyfriend is white. I told her we all left that site because of what they were promoting. She thought that was hysterical that I thought it was racist. Go figure.
Long day at work after being off a week. Hard to get back into the swing of things! Leftovers for dinner tonight. I cooked up a storm yesterday.

Everybody is racist now in one way or another. Live and let live turned into live like I say live.

She was talking about hilarious youtubes and mentioned the one that the other prepper site we all left was promoting. Her and her boyfriend love it. She is black and current boyfriend is white. I told her we all left that site because of what they were promoting. She thought that was hysterical that I thought it was racist. Go figure.

Unless it is a secret, what other prepper site? There aren't very many. I thought this forum was a spin-off from a homesteading forum.

So I had a big day planned, after waiting for weeks the chicks were scheduled to arrive at the feed store so I made out a list last night and planned to run into town, hit the grocery store, the feed store, then get the chicks, set them up up in a box with heating pad, change the shavings in the coop etc... so they can go under the hens tonight (and putting it off for a day isn't an option).

Then I woke up at 5 am sick as all get out with a pounding headache and major nausea. First thought at 5 am was "Oh no...I have to get the chicks this morning!" so I took some tylenol and tried to sleep a couple of more hours. After an hour I took two stronger pain pills (while still heaving constantly on an empty stomach, and trying to keep the pills down) and finally fell back asleep.

Got up an hour ago and called the feed store to see if the chicks came in while praying they did not, and thank God they did not arrive. They will come in tomorrow. I feel so relieved, getting chicks is super fun and exciting but today would not have been a good day at all.

Hope it leaves you soon. Be careful taking tylenol on empty stomach. 40 years ago I took tylenol and it hurt my stomach so I've take aspirin since, but some can't take aspirin.

I need to make a quick stop at the grocery before work this morning, so I need to get myself in gear pretty soon. It's the first day of picture day at the preschool, and the parents get a little strange the first day, so I need to be in early. We are also doing our "all school" outdoor group photo outside. That is always an interesting shot to get. The photographer takes about a dozen shots, trying to find the one where most of the little ones are not running away, turning around, sticking out their tongue...etc. We have a photo from each year hanging in our "lobby". This year's will make 15.

Taking pics of just a couple can be challenging much less 15.

Latest posts

Back