What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday-(Sunday), was an offline day. Went to Sunday School and Church.
Then storms and lightening (boomers, according to Oreo) most of the day. I try to stay off electronics and nothing plugged in.
Watched a couple of movies and some series on Netflix.

Today, walked first and walked dogs before rain started.
Doing laundry.
Will cook sausage and bell peppers w/ onions for breakfasts.
Take eBay photos.
Maybe do some drafts, too (eBay).

Bamboo is a grass. It grows from the root and not the top like a tree. When you cut it the cut will stay and the cut will move up as the base grows.
It also spreads from the root - like crab grass. Pull a bamboo out and all the roots left behind will become new trees.
There are a lot of different varieties and some are easier to control but none are really controllable.

Back to the remodeling project today. Now that the kitchen design is finalized I can take care of most of the electrical outlets. So I figured out where they should be located. But aside from one of the outlets, I will have to deal with a barrier. That being all of the tools and lumber that are piled up there.

It is going to be a hot and humid week but nothing a lot of ice water and a shower after can't solve.

Just gotta do something every day.

Ben

Today it is just hot and humid, this morning while I was watering the garden I noticed that birds are gathering on the top of my rain barrels, they are shaded by the container plants that I put on rails above the barrels, so there is a little bit of water and some cool shade, birdies love it...

I think I will work on cleaning and organizing my food storage tonight, it's just too hot to work outside in the sun and the skitters will eat you alive in the evening.

Today it is just hot and humid, this morning while I was watering the garden I noticed that birds are gathering on the top of my rain barrels, they are shaded by the container plants that I put on rails above the barrels, so there is a little bit of water and some cool shade, birdies love it...

I think I will work on cleaning and organizing my food storage tonight, it's just too hot to work outside in the sun and the skitters will eat you alive in the evening.
It may be worth paying attention to the droppings from the birds both good and bad. Good for fertilizer. Bad for weed seeds they may pass.

Thrmacell

https://www.thermacell.com/
They keep the mosquitoes away in a 20 foot radius (depending on the wind). There are swampy areas on The Ridge with lots of of mosquitoes. I can work there and fot bitten provided I use the thermacell.

Ben

Back from a day of medical stuff for husband. Saw the maid service didn't come in at all. Found out that they come in on request only. I don't have a problem making the bed, but clean towels and the garbage emptied would be good. Last year we were here around the same time (Marriot) and they wouldn't come in at all. Had to go downstairs and get our own soap, towels, and throw the trash out the door and the dirty towels.
Mexican food with Weedy in just a bit.

I'm trying to catch up a bit. We went to the Oregon coast and went deep sea fishing. Didn't realize halibut is only every other weekend so we didn't get halibut. I caught 4 fish, I think. Only 1 or 2 keepers (link cod & rock fish). Hubby caught several and 3-4 keepers. I get motion sickness so called Dr. and got a patch. Put it on 24 hrs ahead of time. I did okay for the first hour or so then it won. I was sick. Thought I was over it and tried fishing again, then it hit again. I hadn't eaten so there wasn't anything to "feed the fish." I told Hubby I would try again with Dramamine and only for halibut but it kinda took the fun out of it. Otherwise it was a gorgeous day and had a good time. Had the link cod for supper the day after we got home. Have a couple meals worth in the freezer. 🎣

Rusty, I hope everything is OK. Sending virtual hugs your way.

Ben, I hope you get everything done and that it all goes smoothly.

Went to Samsclub to get more water and to get some power backups. (They had them for cheap). Got 1 for mom's room for her cpap and the phone. Got another for the modem and router. I went to set them up and the power went out. Plugged things up while the power was still out but when power came back the TV won't turn on. Either the outlet it's plugged in to died, or it got fried, or it got unplugged when I was messing with stuff. It's too dark in there to tell though. Overhead lights don't work and it was dark by the time the power came back on. Lanterns don't offer enough light. Gonna have to clean up some more -- mom has been throwing her trash on the floor in front of the TV again instead of in the trash bag I gave her for it. When I was trying to get to stuff I got so mad about the trash that I opened a window and started throwing stuff out. I came very close to throwing an end table across the room because I was hurting my back having to mess with the cables. TV is no longer working. Either I accidentally unplugged it/pulled it loose or the outlet it's in died. We are already running the modem and router from a cord all the way across the room because the wall outlet it was in died. I need to replace that outlet eventually. Friend said he'd come out and take a look to see if he can help me troubleshoot it if I can't figure it out myself.

Already walked and walked dogs.
Called groomer for Peanut--no answer, so left message.
Called cable company to change plans--they are not taking calls at this time--and their website won't come up at all. Sigh. We are getting rid of cable and getting unlimited internet. Should save about $100 a month. It's a shame the way they treat long term customers!
Going out to dig up dead roses in a few minutes. like Ben! Gotta do something!

A quick addition to the weekend. We drove by Multnomah Falls which is beautiful. There are other falls along the span of highway also but only a couple were running. Might sound simple or silly, but always fun to see.
IMG_3757.jpg

This where I live .
Want to guess at what I been doing for past 2 days after 9" of rain in 4-6 hours.

https://www.wkdzradio.com/2021/07/1...s-in-northern-lyon-and-caldwell/wireready-ag/
That's 48" dia x 30' culvert that was down the creek 100'.
IMG_20210711_104518259.jpg
IMG_20210711_105551864_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210711_105602119_HDR.jpg

Got it back in place.
Concrete and dense grade coming this afternoon.
Then we can get in and out of the farm.

Rained again all day yesterday.

Fun fun fun.

Bought that farmhouse yesterday, and looks like I have a serious buyer for this place.

Gotta work out the paperwork and then start the big job of moving , selling stuff , downsizing, garage building and all that's involved in relocating only 3 miles away.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_20210711_111346759_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210711_111346759_HDR.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210711_111214076_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210711_111214076_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
This where I live .
Want to guess at what I been doing for past 2 days after 9" of rain in 4-6 hours.

https://www.wkdzradio.com/2021/07/1...s-in-northern-lyon-and-caldwell/wireready-ag/
That's 48" dia x 30' culvert that was down the creek 100'.
View attachment 69423View attachment 69424
View attachment 69427
Got it back in place.
Concrete and dense grade coming this afternoon.
Then we can get in and out of the farm.

Rained again all day yesterday.

Fun fun fun.

Bought that farmhouse yesterday, and looks like I have a serious buyer for this place.

Gotta work out the paperwork and then start the big job of moving , selling stuff , downsizing, garage building and all that's involved in relocating only 3 miles away.

Jim
Congratulations!!!!

Finished the camper putz and got them packed up to keep them dust free til Christmas when they will all be displayed. Now I am working on the other one. I seem to have misplaced the chimney piece to this one and need to make a new one. No biggie. So I need a new chimney, a base and the wiring/battery housing. I'll cut a chimney out of the foam core I use for the base and wrap it in white paper just like the base. It will make it easier to work with and paint. The previous chimney was hollow and the side were uneven even though I measured many times before cutting.

It is starting to cool down a little here. Only in the high 90s low 100s during the day. So far we have cut the electric bill more than half by not using the A/C. We can handle the 85 degrees the house gets when we shut everything down during the day. I think I can get it cooler with thermal window foam but I'm not sure I want to spend the money right now.

thumbnail_Image-93.jpg

Today I started to introduce order to the chaos in the remodel house.

20210713_150805.jpg

That far wall is were the kitchen cabinets will be installed and I have to access to install outlets. There piles in front of the miter saw that in front of pile of lumber. And then there is that table which like all horizontal surfaces in a work zone is piled with disorder.

20210713_150816.jpg

While the second bedroom also sports a table of what-not, was my first target so that it can absorb what will come out of the kitchen area.

20210713_163752.jpg

I half filled the pick-up with debris and garbage bags and got the second bedroom ready to start accepting what I find in the kitchen. I start to work on the kitchen but only made a small dent.

Tomorrow I should be continuing the work moving what I find and sorting by tool type as I go. The sorting is important to ensure my brother can find what relocate. Besides, I enjoy sorting tools to satisfy my anal retentive side.

Having fun.

Ben

Survived another day at the hospital, and so did husband. The city and traffic are still driving me nuts, but there are things to see. Stopped in at a Trader Joes and loaded up on shelf stable whipping cream. $1.39. It's really pricey through Amazon, and works well. I've even made butter out of it. Saw a concrete block "work of art" painting of a lady with glasses on at a corner while we were stopped at the light. There was a camera hidden in the glasses lens filming everything. Saw a sign down the road at Shotgun Willies that they're having Drag Queen Bingo tonight. Nope, I'm not going in case anyone is wondering.

I need a day off
Been working a lot on the garden, it's been raining so the weeds grew like crazy. I tied some of my gazillion tomato plants to posts today which I should have done sooner but didn't get to them. Also picked wineberries in the woods. They only grow where it is really steep so that was a lot of work too. Plus the usual chores of feeding and watering the animals, cooking, dishes and some laundry. Oh and the dogs escaped out of the pasture and thankfully showed up at the house ( livestock guardians, supposed to stay with the goats and sheep) so I walked them back to the barn and locked them up. Husband had to walk the entire fence to find the hole ( one of them never goes over , he only gets out if there is a hole). He found it, it was at the bottom where the fence is next to the creek and some rocks got washed out by the downpours we have been having the last week or so every day.

@sonya123 I need time off too. Next weekend maybe. Classes will be done, I will have a 2 day weekend. On burnout mode.
It has been a cool summer so far here in Texas. Like today didn't go above 100. ;)

@phideaux glad yall will be able to move and everything is falling into place quickly. @Neb you work hard. Can't wait to see the finished product. Got an end date in mind?

I'm heading into the city tomorrow but we'll be in TX cowboy central city so should be fine. Kiddo #6 having wisdom teeth bothering her.
@joel you're not having damages due to all the rain?
@snappy1 you walk first, and then you walk the dogs? How much distance are you putting in every day? Our dog doesn't want to go anywhere since the 4th. She still thinks they'll start popping off any second.
Had an interview today. One of very few times I've been called that fast after applying. I applied Thursday or Friday night and was called on Monday.
@LadyLocust thanks for sharing beautiful photos of the falls.
@Terri9630 sorry about your boss. I'm not taking that kind of stuff so well anymore.
@rusty you stay in touch with these folks here. A transfusion is a good thing, hopefully you'll feel better quickly. Prayers for you and your family. Sorry you're not doing so great.

Latest posts

Back