What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today we get to go to the boot store, Lori wants new "cowgirl" boots, hers are looking really sad after a couple years of wear. Have to put the chicken feed into the can and the bird seed into its can.

Today is turning out to be a good day, I over slept; didn't get up till 06:30 told the wife that I was running late and she replies you'll get there on time :) I usually arrive on grocery day at the store by 06:00 so I thought her comment was funny. My grocery day was good, I was able to restock and actually increase our inventory of everything on the list. Of special note was I was able to the the less expensive version of my wife's juice (she uses it to wash down some medicine, and goes through about 3 bottles a week), I was able to finish getting our bread flour topped off (without paying too much), and I found 2 flats of my canned grapefruit.... They were still very low on cooking carrots (I ended up buying some organic's to fill the list). But I was very happy and I got it all done hitting 2 stores and getting home again in less than 2 hours. :)

The wife is worn out today she sewed late into the evening and finished current project, the el-cheapo machine worked well and will serve as a good back up to her good machine that costs 10X as much.
Here is the project she just finished:
1633093291271.jpeg

For those folks out there that sew, here is a picture of the zipper, I've been told that some people find them difficult.

1633093315816.jpeg

As for the machine that she finished the job with, I think that it is cheap (under $200), but it seems to do the job and handle thick fabric, so I would give it 3 stars and say that it would be a good starter machine for someone just getting started. Plus it was easy to thread the needle and the bobbin which sometimes can be a chore for new-bees.
1633093546960.jpeg

The rest of the day will revolve around harvesting the garden, making a tray for solar panels, and moving my power box outside and connecting it to the portable 200 watt solar panels. I have made a way to have it power my growing station lights without having an extension cord pass through a door or window, so it can work without negatively impacting the house security.

Happy Friday,

Urban :)

Went to Walmart first thing for tires. Sat there over an hour before they told me they only had one that was the right size, not two. Sigh. Will go back later when I determine how to make sure they have the correct ones. Don't want to order online as I want to pay cash and not have to deposit it.
Coming up, I will walk dogs.
Do a video.
Bake sweet potato treats.
Hopefully varnish a walking stick--we will see how that goes.

Sigh, again. Ordering tires online. (Or not). Got a call back from Walmart that they now had (found) 2 tires. Went back to the tire center, waited a short time and was told they couldn't change them because the lug nuts were too tight. But they are the last ones who changed the tires. Sigh. Bought the tires and the car and tires are now at my mechanic's.
I did nothing on my list except get the tires. Another day, not another dollar.

Last edited:
Winter and Summer got into a fight 2 days ago. It looked worse when it was over that it actually was. There was blood everywhere but it turned out to be from blooded gums and not a bite or wound. Later that evening I saw some weeping on Winter's snout and cleaned it up. Fast forward to last night and I saw blood again and cleaned the scratch and gave her a dose of antibiotics as a preventative. Gave her another dose this morning and cleaned the scratch again. It looked good with no leaking but was firm and swollen. A light squeeze and puss came out. So I set up my make shift vet station on the kitchen counter and drained the wound. Flushed it. Once the discharge came out fresh blood red I flushed one last time and sprayed with vetercyn. I was going to pack it with raw honey but Summer would not leave her alone if I did.

The dogs are getting cranky in their old age! Winter is 9 and crotchety. She is uber protective of the girls and the fight started because they were screaming like they were in serious distress. Since the dogs were outside they wanted to protect the girls but couldn't get in the house to get to them. They started fighting in frustration and the girls screaming that the dogs were fighting made it worse! Then the tears when they saw the blood everywhere made it EVEN WORSE! I yelled for the girls to be quiet and got the dogs to stop and started washing off the blood. No bites or gashes and nothing that I could see at first look over.

So the fast nature of the abscess forming on Winter's face makes me want to increase the first aid preps and antibiotics ASAP.

I went to the post office to get mail and then snuck in to my friend's house while he was sleeping to paint the side of the cabinet that I forgot to paint the other day. My brother has a key. Friend's gf was at work so my brother went into friend's room and laid on the bed next to him. Door creaked and woke the baby though. The baby was quiet until I went to get my brother to leave. He held the baby for awhile but the baby fussed when he set him down.

Hoping when my friend wakes up he can get pictures of the fully painted cabinet and the new microwave (old one crapped out on him).

The construction neighbor guy and his guys were here all morning redoing fence. It looks wonderful, and will look even better when I paint it. Husband and I went out to lunch in a nearby amish community (that's not ours), and the food was so so. Went to the big plant nursery there, but all they had were poinsetta starts (I think the order plugs and grow them) and tons of mums and pumpkins. I was hoping for 6 inch cabbage. But got some more seeds: arugula, russian kale, red onion, bibb lettuce to start in the greenhouse

I'm sitting here searching online for some new furniture that won't break the bank. While doing so, I'm watching a retro TV channel and they're playing a re-run from the show "Knight Rider". That show was so cool when I was 11 years old. But now it's so bad I don't know whether to laugh at it or feel embarrassed that I'm watching it...

Oh, and I'm finding out that new loveseats are freaking expensive!

Wow Grimm your girls are getting big. I remember when you first mentioned being pregnant with Roo. Has it been that long? That must have been on the PS forum. This one goes back to 2017.

I didn't join PS until Roo was 10 months old (2012). Juju was born in 2016. Roo will be 10 at the end of the month and Juju just turned 5.

Been a busy day so far. Processed more peppers to put away. Waiting for our freeze drier that’s supposedly finally out for delivery. It’s been delay after delay with the manufacturer which has turned into delay after delay with Fedex. This is delivery appointment #3. Looks like they really are delivering today. I’m getting more things prepped to get used to the process. Need to run to the store and grab a loaf of bread to run the cleaning/test batch with. Just going to use cheap bread. Not willing to use our good home made bread. Praying when this thing arrives it’s undamaged and works after all the shipping delays.
Watched a video of someone making their own “cup of noodles” all from freeze dried ingredients. I will definitely be doing this. Maybe some for Christmas gifts as well? We’ll see how they turn out.
Tomorrow I take the last feral that couldn’t be re-released to his new home. Will be glad when it’s done for a while. The rest were released this morning back to where they were trapped.
Tomorrow should have been opening day for hunting for us. The forests are still closed due to fire. Sure will be glad to get out of this burning state. Year 8 or 9 (can’t remember at this point) of no venison in the freezer. Over $2,000 in tags/license fees. Took years to get drawn and have been forced to turn our tags in (no we don’t get $ back for doing so) for 3 years now due to fires.
Sold tires and rims 🎉 and one of our cars (old Mercedes turbo diesel) this last week. One more car and we are done with the big stuff until we’re closer to leaving. Then we will sell most of our older cattle handling equipment. Every day a step closer to the rest of our lives living in happiness (I hope).
Hope y’all have a good day 🤗

Got home last night after a long call stretch.
Canned 24 pints of applesauce, apples from a local farmer (still canning - checking out the forum while they process)
Homecoming this weekend, my daughter is super involved - and is in charge of the dance tomorrow - football game tonight. I imagine she will be stressed out when she gets home tonight.
I'm beat.

Good morning!!
Today will be a video, then walk dogs.
Dehydrate sweet potato treats for dogs in the oven--(treats, not dogs in oven).
Clean out my bedroom closet finally!
Soak pinto beans tonight to cook tomorrow.
Got my closet cleaned a few weeks ago. So nice to walk in it now. One of those jobs that make you feel great when it's done.☺️

@Double R, I am so happy for you! Can’t wait to hear about your freeze-drying adventures!

And it’s interesting hearing about the hunting issues/lack of venison issues you’ve been having - gives me an appreciation for how things are where I live. We’ve never hunted, but plan to learn. Your post gives me more impetus to not squander the opportunity.

If you ever consider southern Ohio in your escape from Commie-fornia, I’d be glad to help scout out properties for you.

@Double R, I am so happy for you! Can’t wait to hear about your freeze-drying adventures!

And it’s interesting hearing about the hunting issues/lack of venison issues you’ve been having - gives me an appreciation for how things are where I live. We’ve never hunted, but plan to learn. Your post gives me more impetus to not squander the opportunity.

If you ever consider southern Ohio in your escape from Commie-fornia, I’d be glad to help scout out properties for you.
🤗
Raining this morning.
Forced rest.
We're officially in.
The old farm was closed on yesterday .
Now instead of 2 million things to do , we only have a million ,

View attachment 73180View attachment 73181

Jim
Beautiful!!! Congratulations! Really happy for you both!

Awesome place @phideaux - have fun unpacking!! ;)

I finished up canning the applesauce this morning. Made some pickled eggs from my left over beet juice when I canned those the other day.

Trying to get up the nerve to go into town to stock up on some more food supplies.

Worked outside till lunchtime, today. Temps are cooler and it's overcast. Did the animals, picked tomatoes, watered in the greenhouse, then little granddaughter and I worked on a double treeline area near our neighbor's property line. We have a path to walk back and forth, and 3 silos are at the end of the treeline. Last owners had kids that broke glass all over the place and threw trash, too. Three big bags of trash, a huge pile of tree limbs, and a box of broken glass. It's a huge area, but we made a dent. Either going to visit my favorite cousin this afternoon, or going into town for fence paint, or both. We'll see.

Take it easy Saturday.

Watered the transplants. Only the large persimmons tree looks sad. Others look viable.

Helped The Princess unload after grocery shopping. Two gorilla carts full. It is nice to be able to pull it into the kitchen to unload. She is still breaking it down to smaller packages for the freezer.

Found the tire chuck and pressure gage to top off one her tires. She has to drive into the office 3 days this week and the front left tire was showing low pressure.

Then I turned my attention to my seldom used laptop. It wanted churn through updates but seems happy now. Tested out the HDMI switch and was able to slave the big screen to the laptop. This will let us display the pdf of lego instruction for the Harry Potter Hogwarts castle for the over night visit by the granddaughters this evening.

I did locate a new AC unit for the rental property and ordered same. The Princess wants to preemptively replace appliances between tenants.

Now I am sitting on the front porch waiting for the incoming visitors this evening.

Ben

Latest posts

Back