What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grimm, ever since my favorite cat disappeared last month some of the other cats have been getting more clingy/cuddly. A few of them didn't get along well with him so they would have to back off when he was cuddling me. He would sit on my shoulder and cling to me. It breaks my heart that I don't know what happened to him and I hope it was painless, but not knowing sucks. I'm pretty sure he's dead but there are multiple things that could have happened & none of them are pleasant. At least the last time I saw him I gave him cuddles & he seemed happy. Itsy has been licking my face a lot and Rupert has been climbing on my shoulder.

I've been playing around with Sketchup and trying to figure out the best layout for friends' kitchen. Some stuff is already set so can't or won't be moved. I found a bakers rack on marketplace that looks good but friend hasn't read my messages yet to say if she likes it or not. It looks a lot like the pics she sent me of what she wanted.

Went to Walmart and picked up groceries that were out of stock last time I went in.

Need to go to Samsclub later today, renew membership, and get more water and milk. Mom really likes the milk from up there- they don't sell it down here.

Took the day off to play taxi for the wife. Dr's appointments and then the beauty shop (it rates with the Dr's in wife's world)....

After our power outages yesterday, I have been thinking of what I can/would do in a long term power down event... My focus is 2 fold:
1) where do I need instant-on power just to keep my sanity (I am thinking of adding 2 more 1500VA UPS es ), like the wife's TV or computer.
2) what is the best/most versatile set of appliances that I could use to cook with... under 1500 watts.... I am thinking of things like electric skillets, small microwaves, small toaster ovens.... These can be useful, but they can leave you in the dark if you are in a limited Watt-hr/day scenario...

Maybe one of these days, I will be done.
Work in progress
Kitchen painted, flooring down in small bathroom, and started into kitchen.

IMG_20211027_084404041.jpg
IMG_20211027_084425539.jpg
IMG_20211027_084437983.jpg

Jim

@phideaux, that flooring looks really nice! What kind of flooring is it? (I'll be installing flooring in the next month or two - pretty much settled on a vinyl plank, but still open to different possibilities.)
It's a Vinyl , laminate , water PROOF, snap together. Can't recall the name. It's easy install , except if you want whole house flow , without any transition strips. Door facing/jams undercutting is a pia.
But we like it.

Hope to finish floor in kitchen this week.

Then start hanging and setting cabinets.

Jim

^^^^^^^^^
Y'all know I'm too old to be doing this.,😉

Jim
That's why God made grandchildren, so old guys could could guilt trip them into putting in the flooring.😁

In the process of that, Grandpa teaches the grandkids to do something that serves them well when they're 40 and want to do their own floor. In my case, it was roofing Grandma's house, but it's still the same concept...

Been feeling the need for comfort foods. Made beef barley soup last night and maple oat muffins for lunch today. Thick grilled pork chops and mash potatoes for dinner tonight.

Prepping for Roo's birthday tomorrow. She wants to ask Santa for new skates but that is what I got her for her birthday. I need to bake the cake tonight and prep for the marshmallow buttercream. Vanilla cake. I will be adding sprinkles for a surprise funfetti cake for her. Pink and yellow. She wants tempura shrimp for dinner. Glad I got a few boxes from Costco last month.

My mom is worried she will not find a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. I told her I have 2 in the freezer so if she wants to look and find one fine but I have them just in case. I have most of the dinner fixings but my mom is insistent that she and my dad buy everything and I do the cooking. No problem.

The wild garlic cloves are still pushing up while the domestic cloves haven't woken up yet. Shop is still dry but on that note...

The Princess had noticed the pile of dirt i shoveled out if the trench earlier this week. I figured she just saw it. When inspecting the drainage today I saw why she noticed. There was a clear impression of her front bumper in the pile. I have threatened to tie old tires all around her car like a tug boat in the past. :rolleyes:

20211027_155519.jpg

Another day of wiring. All of the outlets in the great room are done now. I should be moving on to the bedrooms next.

I will be talking with my financial advisor tonight and will ask him what is up with a query from one of our holdings. They are offering to buy back all or some of their stock we own for more than we bought it for. What is up with that?

Behave

Ben

That's why God made grandchildren, so old guys could could guilt trip them into putting in the flooring.😁

In the process of that, Grandpa teaches the grandkids to do something that serves them well when they're 40 and want to do their own floor. In my case, it was roofing Grandma's house, but it's still the same concept...
Up until they were 13 years old...it worked...then they wised up.
Now they're in school and working jobs. Heck I never see them.

Jim

The wild garlic cloves are still pushing up while the domestic cloves haven't woken up yet. Shop is still dry but on that note...

The Princess had noticed the pile of dirt i shoveled out if the trench earlier this week. I figured she just saw it. When inspecting the drainage today I saw why she noticed. There was a clear impression of her front bumper in the pile. I have threatened to tie old tires all around her car like a tug boat in the past. :rolleyes:

View attachment 74541

Another day of wiring. All of the outlets in the great room are done now. I should be moving on to the bedrooms next.

I will be talking with my financial advisor tonight and will ask him what is up with a query from one of our holdings. They are offering to buy back all or some of their stock we own for more than we bought it for. What is up with that?

Behave

Ben
Probably trying to drive up the share price. My employer has been doing that - issuing debt to buy back their own stock. It makes the board and the major stockholders (BlackRock) lots of money...

Probably trying to drive up the share price. My employer has been doing that - issuing debt to buy back their own stock. It makes the board and the major stockholders (BlackRock) lots of money...
After talking to my guy yes. There must be reason they want it back so we are going to keep it.

Re:BlackRock

They are the gorilla in the market room.

Ben

Up until they were 13 years old...it worked...then they wised up.
Now they're in school and working jobs. Heck I never see them.

Jim

To this day I regret not spending more time with my grand parents after I got out of high school and started my life. I'd give anything to be able to spend the day with them again.

Quick question:
Did you all know that mudding a taping drywall is a good way to stretch, strengthen, tone, and cause night time cramping in your core body muscles?
I was aware of the first three but the muscle cramps on the back of my rib cage last night was an interesting experience. When I rolled from my right side to my left side the muscles on the back right side of my ribs cramped up. I was too tired to want to move so I waited the couple minutes for them to relax then fell back asleep.

Sooo, today I will be mudding and taping again. Gonna teach them muscles to behave, whether they like it or not.

Ordered a new pair of glasses today. Apparently my employer has a new vision plan because they were about $250 cheaper than I expected. I also ordered them without all the anti reflective, anti glare, anti everything coatings, because that's what failed on my current pair and the pair before that. The coatings got little lines like spider webs in them.

Doing a little cleaning this afternoon then will go to the gym tonight while daughter is at dance practice. Thinking about making ham steaks and eggs for supper...

To this day I regret not spending more time with my grand parents after I got out of high school and started my life. I'd give anything to be able to spend the day with them again.
Yeah I wish I would've spent more time with my granny who was heavily into genealogy and loved to travel. I think we would get a long great now, although she wasn't super fond of me growing up - she liked boys better than girls - which was ironic as she had 2 girls. She lived with us for awhile and then died when I was 19.
Never met my paternal grandfather he died 10 years before I was born, and met my maternal grandfather once. My paternal grandmother lived across the country and I only saw her twice before she died (when I was 18).

I was lucky really my maternal papaw died when I was 39, mamaw when I was 42. I spent a lot of time with them growing up.
Never knew my paternal grand pa, died a few years before I was born. Mamaw died 2 months after my dad got killed in Vietnam. I was 5 then. Aunts and uncles told me she just couldn't get over losing her youngest.

Went to VA with DH first thing this morning for his lab work.
Came home and had to run a couple of things to the Post Office.
Back home and walked, then walked dogs.
Lined up and labeled some jellies to put with pumpkin breads in baskets to give out.
Supposed to clean baths next and then do eBay photos.
I hope that's it for the day.
It's cool, cloudy and windy here, today!

Quick question:
Did you all know that mudding a taping drywall is a good way to stretch, strengthen, tone, and cause night time cramping in your core body muscles?
I was aware of the first three but the muscle cramps on the back of my rib cage last night was an interesting experience. When I rolled from my right side to my left side the muscles on the back right side of my ribs cramped up. I was too tired to want to move so I waited the couple minutes for them to relax then fell back asleep.

Sooo, today I will be mudding and taping again. Gonna teach them muscles to behave, whether they like it or not.
Are you drinking enough water? Also might eat a spud~ Take care of you!

Back