What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And...I'm back. With a load of very ripe manure to throw on the pile and let decompose all winter.

Now its always the ackward time of day for at this time of year. 8Pm, totally dark outside (after a summer of being used to it being light until 10) Tired....but also don't feel like I got enough done today....do I start dinner? Or go out and do some work? I never know.
Dinner

Friend never got back to me on coming over to paint so I went to pick up mom's rx but they didn't have it in the system. She didn't check first. Ugh. Got some groceries and some stuff to make dinner. Mashed potatoes and roast beef au jus.

Brother FINALLY took the trash out after dark so I was able to do a little bit of cleaning. He's feeling the fatigue like I usually get. I think he has sleep apnia. I know how it goes. Gonna see if he'll help me clean tomorrow. It's a long shot, but we'll see.

Cats have been fed so now they are piling on me to nap. Dog is next to my leg racked out.

I got an electric toothbrush to see if it would help with cleaning my teeth. Works pretty well, but I may brush with regular first and then do a 2nd pass with electric one in the future.

I keep asking myself, how could he have made so many movies where he handled and shot firearms and not remember to never point a firearm at anyone or anything. I understand during filming they sometimes actually point firearms at other actors but that (should be) after it has been checked and verified by everyone involved to ensure it is unloaded and safe. In the academy and many times after we would have training using real handguns (usually practicing disarming techniques or felony arrest situations) but everyone involved personally inspected each firearm prior to beginning and every time the handgun changes hands. I know that breaks the rule of never pointing a weapon at something you do not want to destroy, but occasionally the rule can be broken IF DONE SAFELY AND RESPONSIBLY. But that being said, DON'T EVER POINT A WEAPON AT ANOTHER PERSON.
Baldwin was probably told that a hundred times over the years but obviously he is too stupid to follow a simple, and very important, rule.

What I was wondering is why a live round was on set and why use a working gun?

Yesterday was a big rearranging day and we cleaned and roasted peppers, still need to put them up.... I did a lot of moving stuff in the house and the lower back pain moved to the upper back, so now it is uniform.... I am actually feeling much better, a little tender and stiff but I am mobile..... Wife is going to be more involved in planning next year's garden. The son's visit didn't go well, he did a lot of work (helped me move some furniture) and then his mom tried to over load him with cleaning that I don't do... He had stuff planned and she over ran him with her wish list, by the end of the day he gave up and left.... It was fun (in a sick sort of way) to watch "someone else" being run into the ground by her adding 1 more thing....

Today I am back to working alone, I have canning jars to inventory and put up, but that will have to wait until after church...

Next door farm having church this morning, so buggies are starting to arrive. I'll be out by the turkey run to listen to the opening singing at 9. Granddaughter and I will be cleaning out her room today. (the 16 yr old). I've asked her too many times and it's horrible in there, the last time I checked. So today I will be in her business and we will clean it together. She has the largest bedroom upstairs. Used to be used for the schoolteacher to rent , there was a one room school house across the field at one point. Even had it's own stairway once upon a time from our kitchen. But that's been sealed over. When we have company, that's the room they get, and company comes before Thanksgiving.

Thanks, LL. I still have to call child #4 who the cat originally belonged to and let her know.
Grandkids buried him under a mulberry, and little granddaughter marked it with a pumpkin she painted. Strangely enough, a barn cat (Jayrod) came out to stand with them.
Put a turkey in the oven, since I bought one and don't have room in the freezer yet. Little granddaughter's mom and the boyfriend will be here after lunch for their visit. I'm off to tackle the bedroom. She has assured me she's done alot of it and doesn't want me touching that part. I think she has other reasons. Ha.

@LadyLocust time to batten down the hatches, getting crazy up here on the hill. Glad we did our burning yesterday. Our dogs don't even want to be outside.
@Amish Heart sorry to hear about your cat, but glad he was with you. Our cat died this summer, crawled under a bush. We couldn't find him for days, and then finally found him over a week later. So sad.

After returning home The Princess dropped this in my lap sating "I got this for $2 at an estate sale.

I had to explore that find immediately.

She did good!

Oh my gosh, that reminds me of sitting at my father's drafting table, seeing all his drawing tools. Thanks for the memory!

Our weather is sideways with gusts up to 70 mph...

Same.

Test run of the generator today. Topped off our fuel reserves yesterday.
Kerosene heater ready, just in case.
Patio furniture and grills secured.
Plugged my CPap Power Bank in to top off.
Moved a couple cases of water upstairs.
Coleman Propane Stove and bottles ready.

Fortunately, we're on the same power grid as the fire station with underground lines.
If we lose power, it's typically for less than 24 hours.
House phone is VOIP (internet based), but we have a battery back up and 4G service on it if internet is disrupted.

Barring any big tree falls, I think we're good.

Tiller wouldn’t work. A lot of #2 limestone and tree roots.
If I have room to stand up we use the the larger jack hammer for limestone or shale.

64277_I.jpg

If working in a confined space the smaller one. I used this one when digging up french drains and had to real with gravel fill and concrete fill. With a wide spade bit it carves up gravel like butter.

63437_W3 (1).jpg

I sprang for the extended warranty on the bigger one but it took all of my abuse and still works fine.

Looks like Harbor Freight is clearing out the biggest model (70 lbs I have the 35 lbs) if you are strong enough to run it.

Ben

And...I'm back. With a load of very ripe manure to throw on the pile and let decompose all winter.

Now its always the ackward time of day for at this time of year. 8Pm, totally dark outside (after a summer of being used to it being light until 10) Tired....but also don't feel like I got enough done today....do I start dinner? Or go out and do some work? I never know.
File under lesson learned...

I was loading debris into my pick-up tossing boards into the bed. One bounced and took out the back window. My mechanic informed me a new back window was the same price as one with a sliding opening. I took that option.

Soon after I helped a friend move a load of horse manure to his place and his garden.

Now for the lesson...

With back window of the cab open air comes IN bringing in the manure with it.

Whoda thought?

Ben

Resting have had a busy weekend.
Saturday:
3 loads of laundry washed, dried, and put away.
Dishes done.
Floors swept but not mopped.
Bathroom cleaned.
Saw grand daughter, Strawberry, son and his new wife and her son last night.
Went there for birthday dinner.
It was nice.
Went back this morning to pick up my car.
Was storming when I got ready to go home.
Got stormy quick.
Home now resting.

I’m beat, every cell in my body is screaming at me, every joint hurts, especially my neck. I spent most of the week bush hogging in reverse. The ground was rough, continually getting slammed. Almost rolled the tractor Thursday, a dangerous spot on very steep ground. I knew it’d be close, just not that close, both left side tires were off the ground. Thank god for hydraulics, I used the front end loader to keep me from going over.

The last time I had this much seat time was cutting and baling 30 acres of hay in one week. That was 4 years ago and a heck of a lot easier than this week’s activities.

Today I intended to finish up a couple acres around the pasture by the highway… Nope, not doing it today, not getting out of my recliner. I’m just glad I fed and watered the chickens yesterday, I have no need to even go outside.

I’m beat, every cell in my body is screaming at me, every joint hurts, especially my neck. I spent most of the week bush hogging in reverse. The ground was rough, continually getting slammed. Almost rolled the tractor Thursday, a dangerous spot on very steep ground. I knew it’d be close, just not that close, both left side tires were off the ground. Thank god for hydraulics, I used the front end loader to keep me from going over.

The last time I had this much seat time was cutting and baling 30 acres of hay in one week. That was 4 years ago and a heck of a lot easier than this week’s activities.

Today I intended to finish up a couple acres around the pasture by the highway… Nope, not doing it today, not getting out of my recliner. I’m just glad I fed and watered the chickens yesterday, I have no need to even go outside.
Even God rested after 6 days.

Ben

Rest up, Peanut. That's alot of bouncing on your body. I'm going to hurt tomorrow. I was bringing down bags of garbage from granddaughter's bedroom and slipped about 5 steps up. Skidded down on my tailbone the rest of the way. Took some aleve, but I bet it hurts more tomorrow. Called the daughter about the old man cat. Survived the granddaughter's mom and boyfriend visit. Grandson should be home any minute from his first date. Have boxes to go through. Did finish the granddaughter's room and made her do alot of it. Emptied dehydrator and filled it up again with cherry toms and peppers.

@Amish Heart ouch. That sounds like you'll be having to take it a little easier tomorrow. Glad that room is cleaned up. Sorry about old man cat. I know you will miss him.
@Peanut almost sounds like you need some white oak bark compresses, you too @Amish Heart
We really don't want to hear bad news about you tipping any tractors. I guess this was forum week for aches and pains.
@MoBookworm1957 I'm glad you can meet with your family peacefully. I bet Strawberry and g.daughter were happy to see you.
I get to do video chats with son and his family once a week. When the little one sees me he knows me and isn't shy. We only get together a couple times a year because they're a bit far.
@Sparky_D we used to be on same power grid as a hospital and rarely lost power and if we did lose it wasn't for more than an hour. I think I might be on one now too.

Wondering the same. And why point it at that lady and pull the trigger? And the other guy? Weren't they people not in the film?
That is the absolute most important part of this tragedy. He pointed the handgun at a person, or in this case two people or possibly a group of people, and he pulled the trigger. This was not during the actual filming, if anything it was shortly before the scene was supposed to begin. The reports coming from the set seem to be unclear, sometimes they make it sound like 1 bullet was fired and it went through one person and into the second person and other times it seems the reports are mentioning 2 bullets, 2 trigger pulls, and 2 people hit by different bullets.

They keep using the word misfire, that would usually be the word used when you pull the trigger and the round does not fire. It sounds to me they should be using the words negligent discharge, meaning the handgun was fired negligently. It was pointed in an unsafe direction and due to negligence (stupidity) the trigger was pulled and the round discharged. But, the media and Hollywood people are rarely known for using correct terminology, especially when it comes to firearms.

I know Baldwin is anti gun. But anyone with half a brain knows you don't point a gun at a person and pull the trigger on accident. The lady wasn't even in the movie. Don't know about the guy. he shot. Gives New Mexico reason to go to tighter gun restrictions, and I would not put it past that governor.
Just some other celebrity thing to follow, like the Gabi whatever case.

Speaking of gun shots… dad has hearing aids for both ears but only wears one. He can hear gunshots, just can’t tell the direction . Anyway, he was picking up pecans and heard a bunch of gunshots. He just came and got me to investigate. He was convinced people were shooting over in the main pasture.

Thankfully he was mistaken. It was on my cousins farm. While I listened I heard 4 different weapons firing. Must have been my cousin's sil’s and grandsons sighting in weapons before deer season. Now that the excitement is over I can resume my role as a vegetable in front of the tv. :)

Last edited:
Had a great time cidering apples 🍎. Three extra families including 6 kids, all got along kids and adults alike. All had a good time and we ended up with a little over 4 gallons of apple juice which I will simmer with spices and can up for winter. Hubby likes it heated up with a shot of (((hiccup))) in it when it gets cold out. It blew sideways all day. The kids caught a tumble weed and were playing games with it - letting it go then catching it.

Doing my morning chores. It's a little chilly out, so delaying the outside stuff a bit. Neighbor's dog Chippy was ready to great me bright and early when I came home from dropping off little granddaughter to school. Now he's barking at the barn cat, who doesn't care, and just glares at him. Nursing my very ugly bruises from the stair fall yesterday (arnica and aleve). Plan to work in the big storage building today. Neighbor coming by for eggs and a visit later.

Latest posts

Back