What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@LadyLocust I banged up my foot and it hurts to walk on it. They gave me a prescription for pain meds. I know I posted this somewhere here. The swelling will go down once I'm off of it for the day. Bruised and sprained. And now I'm taking another one. I'll try to be quiet so I don't get in trouble with @Peanut . Just kidding.
1634949287975.png

Meeting this morning to work out who to offer the job opening to. All 3 of us agreed. Bunch of paperwork to review, lunch, then another meeting to come up with a plan to replace some old broadband equipment that is only used in 2 locations. Got that figured out. The sorted all the work orders for November and gave to the techs. Quiting time came before I got done. So I went home. I am taking off until November 2. Glad to have some time off.

Well I've got plenty I should do. Take care of some stuff. Borrowed dads boat so wife and I will do some fishing/riding around. Planning on a day trip or two into the mountains, with the cool temps last week the colors should be changing fast. Be nice to have a day or two thru the week to enjoy that with smaller crowds.
We've both been wound tight the past 2 years and need some down time. I'll be happy if we just spend time sitting around a bon fire a few nights. We've got a load coming up from late November till first of the year, plus all the work stuff.

I ran the bush hog all afternoon in a holler beside the main pasture. When I stopped for the day I cut 4 passes up the shoulder of the highway in front of the house. My driveway forks before reaching the road. Visibility when going left can be obscured by tall weeds at the road. Won't be an issue again until late spring.

I noticed this yesterday. A line had been added to the door at the sheriffs office since I was last there. This sheriff says exactly what he thinks.

Bush 02 Holler flat 1 a.JPG

While the water and holding tanks on the RV are draining I'll hand dig 50 feet and bury the main driveway alarm cable/sensor.

Pump RV antifreeze into the water lines.

Put the snow plow on the mule. When the wife cleans out her "treasures" from the garage, I'll park the mule in the garage. Then the snow can fly.

I ran the bush hog all afternoon in a holler beside the main pasture. When I stopped for the day I cut 4 passes up the shoulder of the highway in front of the house. My driveway forks before reaching the road. Visibility when going left can be obscured by tall weeds at the road. Won't be an issue again until late spring.

I noticed this yesterday. A line had been added to the door at the sheriffs office since I was last there. This sheriff says exactly what he thinks.

View attachment 74270
That's where Debbie works right? ;) (Please don't block me)
While the water and holding tanks on the RV are draining I'll hand dig 50 feet and bury the main driveway alarm cable/sensor.

Pump RV antifreeze into the water lines.

Put the snow plow on the mule. When the wife cleans out her "treasures" from the garage, I'll park the mule in the garage. Then the snow can fly.
You should invite Ben over. You'd have your trench dug in no time - he loves that game 😂

That's where Debbie works right? ;) (Please don't block me)

You should invite Ben over. You'd have your trench dug in no time - he loves that game 😂
My brother is the trench digging guy. I can't say how many rototiller he has owned and worn out. He was recently gift a nice troybuilt with read tines. He runs the tiller and follow behind with a shovel. Good fun until you get into tree roots. No joy there.

Ben

Today I am home recovering for 6 to 8 weeks. I had a foot surgery from an old dirt bike injury. It's not even a good story. I fell over in my yard. I will post more about the circumstances later, but I had put it off for a long time.
Prayers for ya Cas. Hope it heal perfectly and quickly

Now, I'm back at the hotel reading up on how Alec Baldwin accidentally killed a crew member with a "prop gun" on the set of his latest movie. The irony of such a vocal anti gunner doing that is amazing to me...
I keep asking myself, how could he have made so many movies where he handled and shot firearms and not remember to never point a firearm at anyone or anything. I understand during filming they sometimes actually point firearms at other actors but that (should be) after it has been checked and verified by everyone involved to ensure it is unloaded and safe. In the academy and many times after we would have training using real handguns (usually practicing disarming techniques or felony arrest situations) but everyone involved personally inspected each firearm prior to beginning and every time the handgun changes hands. I know that breaks the rule of never pointing a weapon at something you do not want to destroy, but occasionally the rule can be broken IF DONE SAFELY AND RESPONSIBLY. But that being said, DON'T EVER POINT A WEAPON AT ANOTHER PERSON.
Baldwin was probably told that a hundred times over the years but obviously he is too stupid to follow a simple, and very important, rule.

Feel better, Cascadian. Crutches are no fun at all.
Our cabinets would be like that, Phideaux. The house was built in 1908 and I have no idea how old our cabinets are. They are a hard wood, and white like yours.
Working on the big building full of boxes. Granddaughter at work. Grandson helping with the mowing and weed whacking. Meeting my cousin Harry at the amish restaurant for dinner tonight. He's the historian of the family and will talk your ear off with interesting stories

Inresponse, the movie/tv industry is different & has different rules for handling of guns. I think one of the differences with this situation with Baldwin was that it was a non-Union job. Union has very strict rules/protocols & the union workers left because there were problems with the safety of the guns. Apparently prop guns had already fired. Someone failed to check things properly & he was handed what he was told was a "cold" gun. I don't think he was even trying to point it at anyone. From what I read it sounds like it just went off-- not sure if he even pulled the trigger. He'd already unholstered it in practice before & then it fired. But, generally, I agree-- I was taught to never even point toy guns at other people (except water guns or nerf guns). Bottom line, someone in production f***ed up. I don't buy the bs that producers didn't know there were problems, but some low level non-union worker is probably going to be scapegoated for it.

Jim, nice to see some progress.

Hope everyone who is sick/injured is feeling better.

I've been tired again & trying to motivate myself to be more productive. I need to pick up prescriptions for my mother from the pharmacy & I think a friend wanted me to come paint today, but I'm waiting to hear back from her.

Holy crap, I never knew they built in cabinets , in the old days , to never be removed . OMG.

Slow process.
View attachment 74289

Jim
My place had old metal cabinets and when I took them down I discovered an inscription on the wall behind them reading...

Built during the Kennedy regime

I have continued that example with my remodeling.

Ben

We survived another sleep over with the 2 granddaughters. There favorite default activity is to attack each other. Keeping them physically is a must.

After they departed we met with the potential leaser for the rental property. I was on the fence about her until she mentioned her gun safe. Looks like early November we will be signing paperwork.

After returning home The Princess dropped this in my lap sating "I got this for $2 at an estate sale.

20211023_150912_HDR.jpg

I had to explore that find immediately.

20211023_151641.jpg

The only thing that may have only cost $2 is the God's Ruler but even that is cool. Some 5hings are still in their original packaging.

She did good!

I will enjoy an easy afternoon while she makes an onion casserole to go with the steaks for dinner and a movie night.

Behave

Ben

My brother is the trench digging guy. I can't say how many rototiller he has owned and worn out. He was recently gift a nice troybuilt with read tines. He runs the tiller and follow behind with a shovel. Good fun until you get into tree roots. No joy there.

Ben

Tiller wouldn’t work. A lot of #2 limestone and tree roots.

Exhausted this evening, ran the bush hog another 6hrs today. The worst of it is done, about 25acres this week for me. Dad ran the old tractor with the pull type bush hog yesterday and today. He got about 6 or 7 acres done in the main pasture. I finished it before I came to the house. I even bush hogged down in the bottoms. 2 small pastures down there. I got the bigger one done, about 4 acres.

I didn’t touch the upper one because I found another dead cow, well, large calf in this case. There’s only about 2 acres there. I’ll get it finished after that boy deals with the calf. There’s another 4+ acres on top of the east hill that needs to be cut. I don’t think I can get a tractor up there. I’ll have to go around on the highway and come through my neighbors pasture. It hasn’t been bush hogged in 3 years so I know its grown up.

Now I’m going to sit and watch some college football, hope I don’t fall asleep in my chair...

@Aerindel Like the new pix.

We have 11 strings of beans! (Leather britches) Hanging in various parts of the house. That takes a bit of patience but will hopefully be worth it.
I ended up with 3 different kinds of beans from trying to get them going.
Got the yard all mowed pretty short and mowers washed and put away probably for winter. Cleaned up the summer kitchen since it looked like a tornado had hit. We have 3 families coming over tomorrow afternoon for cidering. I'm looking forward to it. I don't know very many folks here and have only met 1 of the wives & that was a few years ago. (Construction - it's always the guys). They all seem to share "similar interest/view points" as us so I thought it might be nice to try to have a little bit of a community.
Have to bake breakfast bread and cookies in the morning.

And...I'm back. With a load of very ripe manure to throw on the pile and let decompose all winter.

Now its always the ackward time of day for at this time of year. 8Pm, totally dark outside (after a summer of being used to it being light until 10) Tired....but also don't feel like I got enough done today....do I start dinner? Or go out and do some work? I never know.

Latest posts

Back