What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope tomorrow is better, Peanut.
I did a big whoops. Been missing barn cat, "Kevin" for about 3 days. Found him today, I guess he was in the big building when I was going through boxes and I didn't know it. He came out when I opened the big door today. Was going to trap that building, but I won't have to bother for awhile. Poor Kevin. He is ok though.

Just got off the phone with the shift commander from the sheriffs office. I placed the call but had to wait for a call back. It was quick, couple of minutes... We talked for 26 minutes, I timed it.

I just don't have a lot of options in this situation... yes, it involves starving cows. There is another one laying over in the woods right now, dying. This situation is even more screwed up than the black cow I posted about 2 weeks ago. Basically, the sheriff told me what I already knew. It's not my cow so I can't even put it down.

All of this makes me sick in a way I can't explain. There has never been a critter of any type neglected on this farm in the 60+ years I've been alive. Until now!!!!! I'd post the pictures but it'd just upset all of you!

Atleast I have a starting place, the sheriff deputy discussed all the options. There are several obstacles... One - there isn't an experienced cattleman working as a deputy now. They have experience with pets, dogs and cats, being neglected. If they came out what would they write on a report? "I saw a few skinny cows". An experienced cattleman could fill a note book on whats wrong here but they have no one.

The next issue is logistics. They don't have the ability to transport 50head... even if they thought there was a crime... or another farm to move them too.

Then there is the state... A few years ago they made livestock laws peta proof, to keep nutjobs from dragging farmers into court. They went a bit far I think...

It'd take several days to get all the wheels in motion... then there's no guarantee my 87yrold dad wouldn't get run over by the wheels too.

Lots to consider tonight and tomorrow.

I have a doctors appt in the morning. I'll stop by for a chat with the "Sheriff" afterwards, he will be expecting me... We'll go from there.

@Peanut, it makes me sick. I can barely even read about it. I would be so upset if I was there seeing it. I would be tempted to abuse the human who is not fit to raise cattle.

A couple years ago, there was a man at the dog park whose business is caring for dogs. The word caring is used loosely here. I see photos of him on Nextdoor Neighbor walking a dozen dogs at a time, and being called the dog whisperer. Nope, he is no dog whisperer. He is a dog abuser. He kicks and hits dogs who are not lined up right, in public places. I cannot imagine what he does to dogs in private. He would bring a group of dogs to the local dog park and when there were problems, he would go in with his abusive ways at any dog he perceived a problem. Some dogs do have problems. Some dogs are unpredictable. But some dogs do not and he kicked and hit some of them, dogs that belonged to people who were at the dog park. He was pretty much run off from the place. One of my friends started taking photos of the dogs tags and texting the owners, asking if they were aware of what was really happening to their dogs while they were at doggy day care. I guess he had enough backlash from that we no longer see him there, but he is seen out with about a dozen dogs here and there.

Just got off the phone with the shift commander from the sheriffs office. I placed the call but had to wait for a call back. It was quick, couple of minutes... We talked for 26 minutes, I timed it.

I just don't have a lot of options in this situation... yes, it involves starving cows. There is another one laying over in the woods right now, dying. This situation is even more screwed up than the black cow I posted about 2 weeks ago. Basically, the sheriff told me what I already knew. It's not my cow so I can't even put it down.

All of this makes me sick in a way I can't explain. There has never been a critter of any type neglected on this farm in the 60+ years I've been alive. Until now!!!!! I'd post the pictures but it'd just upset all of you!

Atleast I have a starting place, the sheriff deputy discussed all the options. There are several obstacles... One - there isn't an experienced cattleman working as a deputy now. They have experience with pets, dogs and cats, being neglected. If they came out what would they write on a report? "I saw a few skinny cows". An experienced cattleman could fill a note book on whats wrong here but they have no one.

The next issue is logistics. They don't have the ability to transport 50head... even if they thought there was a crime... or another farm to move them too.

Then there is the state... A few years ago they made livestock laws peta proof, to keep nutjobs from dragging farmers into court. They went a bit far I think...

It'd take several days to get all the wheels in motion... then there's no guarantee my 87yrold dad wouldn't get run over by the wheels too.

Lots to consider tonight and tomorrow.

I have a doctors appt in the morning. I'll stop by for a chat with the "Sheriff" afterwards, he will be expecting me... We'll go from there.

They can't call out a vet or a state livestock inspector? One call to the livestock inspector out here and those cows would be seized and cared for. Even if they had to stay on the property for a bit until accomodations were made.

@Sewingcreations15 , good to see you here.

A man I've know for over 5 years died last week due to liver failure, due to alcoholism. He was 58, and never married. His parents are still alive and he was the only son and had several sisters. He had been receiving special treatments for his liver, but he never stopped drinking. I saw him about 3 weeks ago and he was very yellow. He had had a very cool dog, Hoppa, who could open gates at the dog park by himself, letting himself in and out as he wished. He lost Hoppa to diabetes about a year ago. I thing Hoppa ate a bunch of crappy food. Some of us are trying to come up with a way to create a memorial for him. I've tried contacting the local Parks & Recs people. We used to be able to email them, but that information is no longer on their web site. I called yesterday and left a message. No response. We want to follow the rules and be within their guidelines. Our ideas include a bench, an awning for more shade, or a tree. A tree is likely what we would do, but it is possible that the Parks & Rec people can or would do more. I will call them a few more times, but I am also working on a letter to send to them that we will all sign.

@Terri9630 Nope, there is no one that I could find to call searching state websites, I looked several times since July. The sergeant I spoke to tonight had no idea who to call. It all falls under a possible misdemeanor charge with a $3K fine. Unless there is intent, I don't even believe intent. Just a kid in over his head and too bull headed to listen to people who know about cows. I hoping my meeting with the Sheriff in the morning will yield results. In the short term he can light a fire under that kids behind! That was discussed tonight...

I was surprised tonight by something else, not a single cattleman at the sheriffs office. There used to be several, the under sheriff used to stop here at the farm and buy peaches from us. He also had cattle, I’ve seen him at a few Assoc. meetings. I was told several people have retired… a few others couldn’t resist big money offers from departments elsewhere. In short, there is a whole new group of deputies and not one knows anything about a cow… except the price of burger.

In a twist, the most experienced livestock guy they have was the shift commander I was talking to tonight. He had a few horses for his kids years ago but the horses and kids are long gone… And he’s never owned a cow or lived on a real farm. I suggested it might be wise if they hired someone with livestock experience… he agreed.

@Terri9630 Nope, there is no one that I could find to call searching state websites, I looked several times since July. The sergeant I spoke to tonight had no idea who to call. It all falls under a possible misdemeanor charge with a $3K fine. Unless there is intent, I don't even believe intent. Just a kid in over his head and too bull headed to listen to people who know about cows. I hoping my meeting with the Sheriff in the morning will yield results. In the short term he can light a fire under that kids behind! That was discussed tonight...

I was surprised tonight by something else, not a single cattleman at the sheriffs office. There used to be several, the under sheriff used to stop here at the farm and buy peaches from us. He also had cattle, I’ve seen him at a few Assoc. meetings. I was told several people have retired… a few other couldn’t resist big money offers from departments elsewhere. In short, there is a whole new group of deputies and not one knows anything about a cow… except the price of burger.

In a twist, the most experienced livestock guy they have was the shift commander I was talking to tonight. He had a few horses for his kids years ago but the horses and kids are long gone… And he’s never owned a cow or lived on a real farm. I suggested it might be wise if they hired someone with livestock experience… he agreed.

Try the extension office/agent. They may have some suggestions.

We were given our new winter schedule for work today, and it's probably the worst schedule we could possibly get. Around Thanksgiving we go to Rockford, Illinois (yuck). Then sometime in December we'll travel out to El Centro, California and work near the border for a month (double yuck). Then to top it off we go to the Carrizozo subdivision in New Mexico after that. The Carrizozo sub is one of the worst places we can go. It runs from El Paso northwards to Santa Rosa. It's where Billy the Kid killed all his victims. There's no hotels, no accommodations, no nothing, except for the town of Alamogordo. Usually it's night shift work. It's a 15 hour drive to Santa Rosa and almost 19 hours to El Paso, and flights to El Paso are horrendously expensive. I am not looking forward to this winter...

My friend messaged me this morning asking if I could come haul some lumber and then we decided to get the cabinets for my friend's kitchen. Stuff wouldn't fit in their vehicles so I gladly helped out. Found a range hood on clearance for $25 for the friends-- the old fugly one in their kitchen doesn't work. They will need ducting, wire to hook it up, etc and hopefully it will work.

I helped somewhat with installing the luan on the floor (I can't bend much, but I could hold stuff down with my weight). I handed screws and tools to people. I swept the floor between drilling/cutting, helped move things around, and gave suggestions to help them cut the stuff more easily (since they decided to cut with a box cutter instead of a saw). It all worked out. I talked to one of the friends (when she got done with work) about the paint choices and told her to let me know when she wants me to come over and paint as well as some accent pieces (like red face plates for some outlets). I wanted to stay to help install the vinyl plank but my brother fell asleep instead of cooking for Mom so I had to get home and cook for her. Fortunately, she wasn't mad at me over it since she knew I'd asked him to cook for her and after she asked him to cook he went to bed instead of cooking.

Got to see a big mud puppy that I wished I could have brought home. If my friend's mom didn't forget about it, hopefully she remembered to set it free in a nice moist area.

We were given our new winter schedule for work today, and it's probably the worst schedule we could possibly get. Around Thanksgiving we go to Rockford, Illinois (yuck). Then sometime in December we'll travel out to El Centro, California and work near the border for a month (double yuck). Then to top it off we go to the Carrizozo subdivision in New Mexico after that. The Carrizozo sub is one of the worst places we can go. It runs from El Paso northwards to Santa Rosa. It's where Billy the Kid killed all his victims. There's no hotels, no accommodations, no nothing, except for the town of Alamogordo. Usually it's night shift work. It's a 15 hour drive to Santa Rosa and almost 19 hours to El Paso, and flights to El Paso are horrendously expensive. I am not looking forward to this winter...
Hey, Just north of El Centro they usually have a mid-winter fair with lots of Ag exhibits, a fairly large carnival, and dirt track races... Could be a fun break if time allows. They used to have an old steam engine passenger train by the entrance that was cool but I think that got moved to a Rail Road Museum... Anyway it might be a fun break if the timing works... Update: I checked and they moved the date to March The Fair : sorry....

Last edited:
I’m from Northern Illinois. A small town called Genoa in DeKalb County. I know Rockford pretty well. And I agree…..yuk.

Today is a good day. I got a relatively good night's sleep and today the pain in my back has eased to a soft-ball sized lump of tight/sore muscles above my right hip, so I am feeling much better...

The whole thing was very scary as at the end of the day yesterday I just couldn't move... It made me realize that because I have been the primary care provider here for over 15 years we (as in whole family) expect me to be available to do everything and if I were to need to go into the hospital things are not in an order that would allow the wife to stay in the home alone.... This is something that I have totally overlooked as I usually don't go down like this and just haven't prepared for it... We have prepared for 2 or 3 day trips but not for something serious, so now I need to make a plan and address the problem before something serious happens.

Wife is tired of watching her videos on her phone so she bought a iPad. Asked me to "help" her set it up.

Yes she wants her email on iPad too. Took me over an hour to get her email to work. Downloaded the instructions from her email provider, instructions were dated 2007. Then I compared the email settings on her cell with the iPad, identical. Asked her several times if she was SURE she had given me the correct password, "YES!". Password she gave me was 13 characters and the dots obscuring the password on her iPhone was 12 ?!?! I finally remembered we went though the same email deal when she got her iPhone and that I wrote her password in notes under my contact information for her. Tried the password I had for her and it worked! Wife happy, happy life.

Spent most of the day at a government entity sorting 20 year old records. What to keep, catalog or shred. Tomorrow I'll go back and adjust their solar panels for winter.

Another day at the office.
Roof on shop will get 2nd coat of paint ,
Roof will be on garage by noon.
IMG_20211021_092346999_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211021_091914747_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211021_091756375_HDR.jpg

Jim

That is where I lived for 30 years and raised my kids. I love Genoa. I still own a house there that my daughter and her family were renting but they bought their own house last month and I’m going to sell my house.
I've done a lot of work around Rochelle and on the west side of Chicago. I used to live near highway 20 in Iowa so I would drive over that way. I'm pretty sure I've driven through Genoa a few times...

Isn't springfield armory the one that has a free ammo give-away if you sign up for notices via e-mail? I check every week to see that I haven't won. LOL.

Jim, it's looking great! I love seeing stuff coming together.

I ate too much fried chicken last night so my stomach hates me. Cats woke me up early wanting me to get up and feed them. I kept telling them to give me another hour. So Boo cleverly started massaging my side (over my abdomen), which woke my digestive tract up and I had to get up.

It's not even 3pm but the sky looks like it's around 5. Even though it's not cold, my cats are piled on me. I wish I could reach my phone without waking them because Aminatu is resting her head on Biscuits & it's adorable. I love my kitties.

I'm hoping my stomach will feel well enough to get up and go to the store to get something to cook for mom tonight. I feel bad that she had to wait until 8pm last night for food. I wish my brother wasn't so unreliable. I wonder if I'll be able to get him to go with me to the store so he can carry stuff in. My shoulder hates me today.

Today was busier than expected. We got answers from the potential tenant that satisfied The Princess and my brother. I was leaning toward maybe but they decided to accept her. So....

Of to the rental property to tend to little things. This is the new refrigerator.

20211021_133848_HDR.jpg

20211021_133912_HDR.jpg

My brother will decide if he wants to switch the hinge and handle. It doesn't bother me which way.

The old refrigerator is going to the father of my brother's grandson. The upright freezer is moving to our second basement to augment the Princess's collection. The garden hoses got rolled up and I found that my brother had shut of the water to the outside hose bib and installed the vent cover that disguises the hole to the shut off valve. I like surprises like that.

Cleared a space in the basement for the freezer. I will not be able to plug it in until I do some shuffling. But there is a clear path for when we move it.

The garlic showed up a day early ...

20211021_145332.jpg

so out to the garden to prepare the beds. This is the black raspberry I mentioned yesterday.

20211021_152405_HDR.jpg

The canes have been buried in hopes of cloning.

Amended the beds with mushroom manure and bone meal. Finished that up just as the rain came. That should water the wild garlic experiments and give nice moist soil for planting the garlic tomorrow.

Now its time to watch the rain as a cold front moves through.

Ben

I've done a lot of work around Rochelle and on the west side of Chicago. I used to live near highway 20 in Iowa so I would drive over that way. I'm pretty sure I've driven through Genoa a few times...

Haha. I work several years at Rochelle Community Hospital. I LOVED that job. The only reason I left is because I married a man who lived in OK and it would be hard for him to work anywhere else. I could get a job anywhere there is a hospital.
Is that the same Genoa where Springfield Armory is located.
If so I use to go there often.
The best KFC anywhere.☺️

Jim
No. No KFC in ‘my’ Genoa and no Springfield Armory. Springfield Armory is in Geneseo, Illinois.
Today was busier than expected. We got answers from the potential tenant that satisfied The Princess and my brother. I was leaning toward maybe but they decided to accept her. So....

Of to the rental property to tend to little things. This is the new refrigerator.

View attachment 74180
View attachment 74181

My brother will decide if he wants to switch the hinge and handle. It doesn't bother me which way.

The old refrigerator is going to the father of my brother's grandson. The upright freezer is moving to our second basement to augment the Princess's collection. The garden hoses got rolled up and I found that my brother had shut of the water to the outside hose bib and installed the vent cover that disguises the hole to the shut off valve. I like surprises like that.

Cleared a space in the basement for the freezer. I will not be able to plug it in until I do some shuffling. But there is a clear path for when we move it.

The garlic showed up a day early ...

View attachment 74183

so out to the garden to prepare the beds. This is the black raspberry I mentioned yesterday.

View attachment 74184

The canes have been buried in hopes of cloning.

Amended the beds with mushroom manure and bone meal. Finished that up just as the rain came. That should water the wild garlic experiments and give nice moist soil for planting the garlic tomorrow.

Now its time to watch the rain as a cold front moves through.

Ben
Let me suggest through experience, leave that refrigerator handle as it is. If you switch it, the door won’t open wide enough to get the veggie and meat drawer out to clean any spills. Guess how I know that. 😟

Let me suggest through experience, leave that refrigerator handle as it is. If you switch it, the door won’t open wide enough to get the veggie and meat drawer out to clean any spills. Guess how I know that. 😟

Good point!

We are very good at not doing something. Bonus because both my brother and I can not do that.

:rolleyes:

Ben

@Sewingcreations15 , good to see you here.

A man I've know for over 5 years died last week due to liver failure, due to alcoholism. He was 58, and never married. His parents are still alive and he was the only son and had several sisters. He had been receiving special treatments for his liver, but he never stopped drinking. I saw him about 3 weeks ago and he was very yellow. He had had a very cool dog, Hoppa, who could open gates at the dog park by himself, letting himself in and out as he wished. He lost Hoppa to diabetes about a year ago. I thing Hoppa ate a bunch of crappy food. Some of us are trying to come up with a way to create a memorial for him. I've tried contacting the local Parks & Recs people. We used to be able to email them, but that information is no longer on their web site. I called yesterday and left a message. No response. We want to follow the rules and be within their guidelines. Our ideas include a bench, an awning for more shade, or a tree. A tree is likely what we would do, but it is possible that the Parks & Rec people can or would do more. I will call them a few more times, but I am also working on a letter to send to them that we will all sign.
In the town where I used to work, there was a garden club that was contacted when someone wanted to have a memorial tree planted. They already had "permission" or had jumped through the hoops - don't know if that's of any help, but the chamber would probably know who to contact if there was a garden club.

I was surprised tonight by something else, not a single cattleman at the sheriffs office. There used to be several, the under sheriff used to stop here at the farm and buy peaches from us. He also had cattle, I’ve seen him at a few Assoc. meetings. I was told several people have retired… a few others couldn’t resist big money offers from departments elsewhere. In short, there is a whole new group of deputies and not one knows anything about a cow… except the price of burger.

You could get a health inspection through the vet. It would cost a little bit, but you would have the documentation. There is also a brand inspector employed by every state. Sherriff only needs to make the call and request his assistance.

In the town where I used to work, there was a garden club that was contacted when someone wanted to have a memorial tree planted. They already had "permission" or had jumped through the hoops - don't know if that's of any help, but the chamber would probably know who to contact if there was a garden club.
Thank you. This happens to be in a city that none of us who are doing this live in. Someone who does live in this city told me that she thinks they are kind of behind times. She recently moved there. No email addresses available. No names of people who work in any office. I don't know of any garden club in this city. I've looked. I am still waiting to hear from them. I may actually drive to the city office and talk face to face with someone who can give me straight information.

Had my meeting today about the cows. It was suggested that any future plans not be on social media... So, I'll post back on this matter when a resolution is reached. But, there is a path forward from here.

I'm beat this evening, several hours running the bush hog late yesterday. Today was an early doctors appt. follow by some serious shopping.

I intended to bushhog some more this afternoon but I'm just too tired. I did feed and water the chickens. Got a pesky hen eating eggs but can't seem to catch the culprit. She's going in a pot as soon as I figure out which hen is doing it.

Latest posts

Back