What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 75480 Here you go Pearl 😊 Nice pix, You're a beautiful gal~
@INresponse It's hunting season here - not sure about there, but can't see any critters. They have calendars too so hide during hunting season.
Jim - Wow! looking good.

I just caught up on 3-4 days worth so now can't remember who did what 😂
💗💗

View attachment 75480 Here you go Pearl 😊 Nice pix, You're a beautiful gal~
@INresponse It's hunting season here - not sure about there, but can't see any critters. They have calendars too so hide during hunting season.
Jim - Wow! looking good.

I just caught up on 3-4 days worth so now can't remember who did what 😂
Utah deer hunting starts in September I think with archery, then muzzleloader season, then the main deer hunt is the 3rd Saturday in October for 9 days. There are still various special hunts on some areas and a winter archery season, I think, but for the most part the deer hunt is over here.
The thing is many mule deer tend to migrate up the hills/mountains for the summer and they don't head to their winter range until the weather chases them down the mountain. We only had a couple of mild snow storms come through and I haven't seen the big groups of deer pass by this way across the highway yet so where I was driving in the hills I suspect the only deer are the ones that hung out in the area for the summer. We did see a few tracks but not the wide swath of tracks you would see during or after the migration. I didn't hunt this year, been probably 7 years since I went out hunting and 4 years since I had a deer tag, but I heard the bucks were few and far between and not many hunters around filled their tag this year.

Utah deer hunting starts in September I think with archery, then muzzleloader season, then the main deer hunt is the 3rd Saturday in October for 9 days. There are still various special hunts on some areas and a winter archery season, I think, but for the most part the deer hunt is over here.
The thing is many mule deer tend to migrate up the hills/mountains for the summer and they don't head to their winter range until the weather chases them down the mountain. We only had a couple of mild snow storms come through and I haven't seen the big groups of deer pass by this way across the highway yet so where I was driving in the hills I suspect the only deer are the ones that hung out in the area for the summer. We did see a few tracks but not the wide swath of tracks you would see during or after the migration. I didn't hunt this year, been probably 7 years since I went out hunting and 4 years since I had a deer tag, but I heard the bucks were few and far between and not many hunters around filled their tag this year.
Ugh! I know on the Oregon side they are issuing way more tags than critters - possible agenda (depending upon opinion) is that the gov. is trying to eliminate game so there is no need for gun ownership.

Yesterday we winterized a trailer, the boys moved into the back bedroom so they are no longer in the redneck condo in the yard. Taped and mudded 2 walk in closets yesterday. Sure is a slow process but I refuse to use the messy and awkward banjo so it takes longer using the putty knives. The upstairs bedroom was taped yesterday so hoping to get that mudded today. GF comes home today from her 3 day trip so should be home this evening. She just paid $16 for a hamburger patty in the Phoenix airport because she is doing KETO and doesn't eat the other stuff. I understand having to pay for everything even though you only want part of it but it's a bummer more places don't have a lower priced KETO option since the KETO/Carnivore lifestyle is getting more popular. Maybe one day.

Been a couple days since I live trapped a cat in the chicken area at night. Hopefully I got them all or the others learned to stay in their own yard. The neighbor behind must bring home every free cat he can get his hands on. It is not uncommon to see 15 on his back porch during the day. He can have all he wants, but he needs to keep them home and away from our birds. During they day they will sit back and watch the chickens but I think they are afraid of the goose. Every evening they were walking through the chicken run and trying to get into the chain link fenced enclosures. I had one with a collar a couple years ago that was delivered to its owner, I caught my neighbors cat 3 times and returned it so now they finally decided to keep it on a leash when they let it in their yard, the rest go to a ranch north of here where they can chase mice and other critters in and around the barns to their hearts content. Up there the rancher keeps the coyotes in check, around here the coyotes occasionally leave the remains in the road. Maybe I should live trap the coyotes up there and bring them here to keep the cats in check. There are several others around here that live trap the cats and relocate them. Someone even posted a sign at the mailboxes saying stray cats will be relocated out of the neighborhood but there are always a slew of cats walking around the neighborhood. I guess the owners just don't care about their pets. Still 6 more weeks left in this year but I heard last year the three other people relocated close to 100 cats out of the neighborhood in 2020 alone. So that is probably 130 including my efforts. Occasionally someone would lose a chicken to a cat but when one guy lost 9 rabbits to a cat that got into his rabbit pen they had enough and started the location progress. (he heard the rabbits yelling in the evening and got dressed and went out to find the cat in the act).

Supposed to have a couple cool days, lower 50's, then should be back close to 60 for at least another week or so. If the weather morons guessed correctly. Hopefully I can put off using the wood stove for another month but I do hope we get some good snow this winter, we definitely need the water.

Ever feel like this?
1637098618850.png

crazy I tell ya! I'm popping on here for a mental break 😊

Brother and I teamed up today to adapt the back wall of the kitchen as per the plans.

20211116_133404.jpg

At the start of the day...

20211116_133411_HDR.jpg

The first step was to determine if the cabinets and appliances I purchased will fit taking into consideration the drywall etc.

20211116_141924_HDR.jpg

I was nervous because I have a lot invested in this game. As shown above it fit with enough wiggle room that will be accounted for with a filler panel. From left to right...
Narrow cabinet
Range
Dishwasher
Sink
Pull out garbage bins
Blind corner cabinet
Drawer cabinet.

Please note the old windows needed closed up and the new window needs to go over the sink.

20211116_161524_HDR.jpg

At the end of the day there is a frame for the new window and one of the old is covered over. When we get the new window we just have to cut out inside the frame.

The Princess wad happy when she saw the above images.

Tomorrow I will be installing outlets and more circuits. Brother will be closing up the other window.

It was a good day!

I thank God it went so well.

Ben

Got the go ahead to installing the new Direct TV gear at our 911 center (they run news and weather 24/7). The old gear is 12 years old and was failing way to often. DTV don't even support that any longer. So I ordered all new gear including a new style dish. Install will happen Friday. 4 of my 5 guys will be working on it.
Also had a call from the electricians that are working with us to install the laser project. That will get going tomorrow.
Then about 2pm I get a call from utilities saying they were digging a trench and cut an old broadband coax. Had to go ID it and found that it was no longer connected or in use.
Busy day

Spent the morning talking to my contractor that hauls all my gravel , plus other things .
We discussed him doing a circle drive for me . Approximately 800' long x 12' wide. Widening the existing entrance by 6 ' , moving the mailbox, Haul 2 more loads of dense grade to existing driveway and front of garage. Cutting and hauling off a large dead Black Walnut tree.
Will do it next week , weather permitting.

$3900.00.

Good price?
I think so.

Got the wire buried from basement to garage. Will be tiring that in time.

I try to stay busy....,🤭😊

Jim

Drug out the painting paraphernalia this morning. I haven't had to do a big paint job for over a year since before I moved here. I will be using a paint sprayer, so I set about cleaning and disinfecting the respirators I reserve for painting purposes.

I ended up changing all the elastic on the head bands and replacing some of the rubber flaps inside. These things are not made to withstand the effects of time. All the plastic bits are degrading. New respirators cost $78.00 C for one. I used a glue gun and pieces of a coke bottle to mickey mouse the elastics to the head straps where they had broken off and I also happened to have some old water bed patches that were almost identical material wise, to the old valve covers. I cut new washer shapes and they worked like a charm. The respirators are as good as new.

Cost of repairs: $5.00 ? in today's prices.

Last edited:
Drug out the painting paraphernalia this morning. I haven't had to do a big paint job for over a year since before I moved here. I will be using a paint sprayer, so I set about cleaning and disinfecting the respirators I reserve for painting purposes.

I ended up changing all the elastic on the head bands and replacing some of the rubber flaps inside. These things are not made to withstand the effects of time. All the plastic bits are degrading. New respirators cost $78.00 C for one. I used a glue gun and pieces of a coke bottle to mickey mouse the elastics to the head straps where they had broken off and I also happened to have some old water bed patches that were almost identical material wise, to the old valve covers. I cut new washer shapes and they worked like a charm. The respirators are as good as new.

Cost of repairs: $5.00 ? in today's prices.
Your hardware store is violating you prison shower style bro! mine charges like 25$ for a respirator and a pack of extra filters that are down in the vapor range protection wise.
try here, it's a tiny bit more but...
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...xOIwmLRO_EJH7ZdmnnoaAppUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Spent the morning talking to my contractor that hauls all my gravel , plus other things .
We discussed him doing a circle drive for me . Approximately 800' long x 12' wide. Widening the existing entrance by 6 ' , moving the mailbox, Haul 2 more loads of dense grade to existing driveway and front of garage. Cutting and hauling off a large dead Black Walnut tree.
Will do it next week , weather permitting.

$3900.00.

Good price?
I think so.

Got the wire buried from basement to garage. Will be tiring that in time.

I try to stay busy....,🤭😊

Jim
Roughly $1000/day + materials is about par right now so sounds reasonable to me.
Off topic, sorry, but a prepper could go nuts in this place!
https://www.uline.com/product/BrowseWebClass.htm
We order from here semiregularly. I think this is where I got my food grade barrels???

Internet (DSL) been down since Sunday night. Wife is having withdrawal. Monday I reported it to the telephone company.

Today telephone reported the line tested good to our Demark. They believe the problem is either my DSL modem or my privately own line from the Demark to my house. They were nice enough to offer a "loaner" modem so I could test further. Ran into their office and picked up the loaner.

Connected the loaner and...........no Internet. I went to the Demark and connected to a different pair, did the same in the house and .... we now have Internet! If the Internet is still up tomorrow morning I'll reconnect my modem to confirm it's still functional. Wait another day to confirm before returning the telephone's loaner modem.

In-between the above I got power run to the newly installed 2-way radio in my second vehicle. Running the wire wasn't too difficult. Hard part was getting the radio to power up. Check, yep power to the connecter, yep fuse is good but still no power to the radio. Radio toast? Can't be, it's new in the box but it has been in storage for a year or two...FOUND THE PROBLEM! The on/off radio button is on the left, not the right button I've been pushing. :eek:

Put the tools away.

Used an extendable pole with a broom on the end to pull leaves out of the roof valleys.

Thinking about taking a nap. My back is telling me it didn't appreciated being bent into a pretzel to pull wire for the radio.

Just got home from Saint Lukes hospital in Kansas City. Had tests to check on my recovery, the doctors were amazed at my progress in 2 months and you can't tell I ever had any sort of a problem. I have a little brain fog and I cant work like I could but they tell me in a few more months I will be back to myself.
Definitely good news! Bet there's a certain wife and big munchkin that are pretty glad to hear it also.

Internet (DSL) been down since Sunday night. Wife is having withdrawal. Monday I reported it to the telephone company.

Today telephone reported the line tested good to our Demark. They believe the problem is either my DSL modem or my privately own line from the Demark to my house. They were nice enough to offer a "loaner" modem so I could test further. Ran into their office and picked up the loaner.

Connected the loaner and...........no Internet. I went to the Demark and connected to a different pair, did the same in the house and .... we now have Internet! If the Internet is still up tomorrow morning I'll reconnect my modem to confirm it's still functional. Wait another day to confirm before returning the telephone's loaner modem.

In-between the above I got power run to the newly installed 2-way radio in my second vehicle. Running the wire wasn't too difficult. Hard part was getting the radio to power up. Check, yep power to the connecter, yep fuse is good but still no power to the radio. Radio toast? Can't be, it's new in the box but it has been in storage for a year or two...FOUND THE PROBLEM! The on/off radio button is on the left, not the right button I've been pushing. :eek:

Put the tools away.

Used an extendable pole with a broom on the end to pull leaves out of the roof valleys.

Thinking about taking a nap. My back is telling me it didn't appreciated being bent into a pretzel to pull wire for the radio.
You've been dealing with tele/internet for a while haven't you? Oy! Hope it all just stays working for ya.

@hashbrown Can you get any Lion's Mane tincture? It'll do wonders for mental clarity. I use it often (brain fog is a symptom of cfs). I usually take it before a trip to town, easier to think, shop, run errands. It's even helpful for folks with serious forms of dementia, been used by them for many years.

Anyway, glad you're improving!

Just got home from Saint Lukes hospital in Kansas City. Had tests to check on my recovery, the doctors were amazed at my progress in 2 months and you can't tell I ever had any sort of a problem. I have a little brain fog and I cant work like I could but they tell me in a few more months I will be back to myself.
I am glad to read your report.

Makes me think about how it is believed that we humans only use a small part of our brains...

It is like God provided us with preps if we ever need it.

Thank God!

Ben

@hashbrown Can you get any Lion's Mane tincture? It'll do wonders for mental clarity. I use it often (brain fog is a symptom of cfs). I usually take it before a trip to town, easier to think, shop, run errands. It's even helpful for folks with serious forms of dementia, been used by them for many years.

Anyway, glad you're improving!

I read about that a few days ago and found some and ordered it. Glad to hear you have had good luck with it!

Latest posts

Back