What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Peanut. Snake hasn't been around lately as far as we know. It's pretty cold so it probably moved somewhere warmer.

Pole with rope. Good idea, Ben. I'll have to look to see if we have any or buy some next time I go to the store (which will probably have to be tomorrow). The kitchen is looking great! LEDs are awesome.

Jim, I'm so sorry you've had such terrible experiences with the car dealers. Refusing to honor your military discount when you're a veteran & jerking you around is so disrespectful. I hope you leave them very negative reviews online and do as LadyLocust & Spikedriver suggested: report them to the BBB for that garbage. Not to be pushy, but I highly recommend you consider the Gen1 Ridgeline. They pretty much all come with AWD, the trunk is larger, and they rate beter mechanically. 2013 RTL is probably the best model year but 2014 isn't bad. Harder to put a tonneua cover on, but still works great. Can get them for about half the price of the new ones. Also, you can find the Ridgeline for sale in the used (or certified used) lots of dealerships other than a Honda dealership. I've used cars.com, autotrader, cargurus, etc to find vehicles. Got my Ridgeline at a Ford dealership.

Goshengirl, I'm somewhat surprised they didn't change their tune when returning the vehicle was on the table. But maybe Jim wasn't amenable to that-- but for good reason. Also surprised they agreed to return the full amount. Although, I wonder if they kept doc fees and other stuff so they may have still made some $.But they violated the contract. Possibly thought they could sell the same vehicle for higher to someone else. Hopefully they will be on blast & people will know not to deal with them.

I woke up feeling nauseous as hell with stomach ache and generally feeling awful. Messaged my friend to tell him to take a rain check on working on the plumbing. I wasn't going to be crawling under the house feeling like that. He didn't get back to me until after 11am but then messaged that power company had shut off his lights. I went into town to get mail & grab some groceries. Popped in to help him get his lights turned back on. But now his gf is asking for $ to pay her car note since she quit her job AGAIN. Mom hates her so there's no way she will pay the car note for her.

I really tried to be responsible, but then it started to snow, so I improved some stuff, and then got a bigger tractor hooked to the pto gen, at almost dark, this time I found out that there may be a bit of a wiring problem, but no clutches slipped, , a small amount of electrical smoke was released, not a point of failure amount, but enough to stop the experiment til day light.

Was it the "majic" smoke or just smoke.... 😀 Hate when that happens for sure and hope it all works out.

I went out for a bit this afternoon, cold day. Checked on the calf, he bawled when he saw me. First time he's done that. Topped off his feed bins.

I started the tractor and noticed something needed grease, that boy never did it. So spent 20 minutes greasing every fitting on the tractor. Had to back it out of the shed to get the ones in the front end loader.

Then I got the round bales in the pole barn moved to the back wall. I have to build a divider/fence across the barn. I want the calf and horses separate for a while. This way they all can eat hay in the barn where it's dry.

Recently, a little rain water from the chicken pen had started coming under that wall. So I spent 15 minutes cleaning out the little drainage ditch in that pen. Didn't finish, hit some tree roots. Deal with that tomorrow.

Called it a day, kinfolk coming to eat.

Last edited:
They are white, but a million times bigger than the daikon I've seen. Hold open your hand like you're going to grab something, and you wouldn't even be gripping it half way around.

Take a picture when you're wearing the house dress and orthopedics. That'll be cute.
Yeah, that'll be real freaking adorable. :rolleyes:
Yes, I saw something about "Groundhog Radishes" too but no photos.
Do they still make the house dresses? I haven't seen anything like that since the early 1970s. My old lady friend, she was in her 60s, I was between 3 and 5. She wore the orthopedic shoes and house dresses with the apron that went over the dress and the shoulders. I always called her husband by his last name (frequently) and her by her first name. I walked right in to their house when I would visit (they were our neighbors). He repaired watches and clocks and didn't talk much. Memory Lane is hilarious sometimes.

Thanksgiving is approaching fast. GF's oldest daughters boyfriend is coming to visit for Thanksgiving. He is Chinese, went to graduate school in Florida and now lives in California with a good job in the tech industry. She had met him several years ago on a school trip to China for her Chinese class. Everything I hear is he is a good guy, very respectful, and a good sense of humor. Sooo, my GF wanted to make the unfinished house look more presentable so we went to town to buy a new piece of cheep carpet for the kitchen since the old used piece was wore out and full of kitchen stains. (unfinished house would still have cement floor if not for various carpet pieces down to keep the floors presentable and warm) Tidied of the kitchen, it looks pretty good for an unfinished house.
Dressed out a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner, one of the hens that was very mean and regularly attacked the other birds in the yard. She wasn't very big so we will also cook up 2 Pekin ducks we had dressed out a couple months ago. While in town we did our grocery shopping and bought the plastic we needed to prep the bird areas for the winter.
I swapped out the headlights in the GF's daughters car, on was bad but she upgraded to brighter lights so had to do both. I hate working on new cars! Bought stuff to do the oil in the GF's car, her daughters car, and my truck. This weekend I will do the GF's car and her daughters car, my truck can wait till next week. While in town her daughter calls and asks if I can teach her boyfriend how to change the oil in his car (new mustang). Simultaneous thoughts of I have enough to do and sure i will be glad to teach him. So far the young man seems decent if he wants to learn how to work on cars. Funny thing followed, she texted a bit later because he asked if he needed to bring his torque wrenches for the oil change. :ghostly: :dunno: After a good laugh I replied he didn't have to and I had all that was needed to work on his car. Now, I know an owners manual or tech manual may suggest installing the oil drain plug at a specific torque but I don't know any back yard mechanic who ever used a torque wrench for an oil change. Usually it is snug, plus about a quarter turn or so. But, I got a laugh and I wont mind showing him how to work on his car. Plus, he can help me with the oil in his GFs car and with my GF's car, I guess I could show him how to grease the cars too. Maybe rotate the tires. Good thing the garage is done being taped and mudded, I finally have room to fit in a car. Sounds like he will enjoy seeing my 72 Chevy pickup, the 64 Chevelle, and probably the '02 Dale Earnhardt Monte Carlo.

Tomorrow the plan is to winterize the animal areas and tidy up the back yard. Aside from cooking food Thursday I am hoping it will mostly be a relaxing day I need a rest. You know, aside from my job of making Apple Crisp out of the 10 pounds of Granny Smith apples I bought today. :cool:

A super huge Thank You to a very generous Someone. Today I had a alert telling me "Someone gifted you an account upgrade.
Yesterday at 6:51 AM" I understand what it says but not sure yet what it entails.
BUT, A super huge Thank You to a super generous member with a huge heart.
I greatly appreciate the the generosity.

@Spikedriver, I would have LOVED a day like that with my dad, just him spending that kind of time with me. Super awesome. :)

I'm back out to the farm today, for the HVAC job. They'll finish our job today. Didn't think they'd be able to do that, with waiting for units and parts and all - but the last thing arrived yesterday, so they'll be able to finish up today.

Normally I'll stay out at the little house on the farm (the one that's coming down) when there's someone working on the new house. But the old house is really just a shed, uninsulated and full of gaps (leaning this way and that), and my little propane heater can only do so much (and totally sucks down the propane).

Last edited:
Was it the "majic" smoke or just smoke.... 😀 Hate when that happens for sure and hope it all works out.
It may have been majic, smoke, it definitely added to the show, and it may trigger a little just use grid power to finish the job, that in it's self my be majic

LOL! I have one housedress in the closet that I found at a thrift shop and still haven't put on. Very light material. Thought it might be good for is I am sick or home from hospital--in the summer!

Yesterday was another crazy busy day for me. Walked first.
Went to town starting at Post Office for Christmas stamps.
Thrift shop.
Day old bread store. They actually had lots of my 40 calorie a slice bread so I got 3 loaves. Not much more room in the freezers. Also got some snack cookies and took them to a friend in nursing home right down the road. They just started allowing visitors and I haven't seen her in well over a year, so that was nice.
Went to eye doc and got glasses adjusted again. Better now!
Went to my docs new office to sign record request from old office and set new appt.
Went to walmart and it was nuts there. Well stocked, but crazy amount of people!
Came home and walked dogs.
Baked some garlic. Yum
DH and a friend built a lean to over the outside AC unit, so we don't have to deal with ice getting into it anymore.

Today, I walked first.
Ordered eBay supplies
Next will vacuum seal the box of pecans that a friend brought the other day.
Do ebay photos for DH.
And thaw the sliced frozen turkey for tomorrow.
That's enough!

That's a lot, @snappy1 !
@Spikedriver I was doing an internet search for such a thing, just to see...all I see is those fit for the models who have 18" waistlines. The housedresses I knew of were made for 36"+waistlines. These were the fashion for housewives in the 1950s and 60s. My grandma sent me some of hers in the 80s. They had snaps down the front. There's one thing for sure, they must have been comfy. Remember housecoats? LOL
Waiting for the plumber to fix a possible running water problem. I can hear it distantly but see no damage. At least he seems to know what he is doing, better than the last guy.
Be cleaning today. Picking up some things from the store. Maybe get the leaves raked a bit. Have a headache and sinus problems today. Heard the fighter jets flying over.

Just my experience, Jim -

If you're worried about comfort be absolutely sure to get a higher end model. The ones without power seats are horrible. The seat position is very low and can't be raised, there's no adjustment for height. With the power seats you have a 10 way adjustment and there's a lot of adjustment range. Mine is just an SR5 model, but it's got the power seats and they're some of the best seats I've ever sat in...

Just for your info.
I called every Toyota dealer in west KY ....there is not one new Tacoma on any lot here.
Only a few older Tacoma's (@ new prices).

Now I'll fall back and fire in a different direction.😁🤭

Jim

Just for your info.
I called every Toyota dealer in west KY ....there is not one new Tacoma on any lot here.

Jim
Wilson Toyota in Ames Iowa has 3 upper trim models, Toyota of Des Moines has six upper trim models, all 4x4s. Both have several of the lower end models too.

Sounds like it's time for a Road Trip!

:woo hoo::dancing:

Just for your info.

Jim
If you're ok with DMing your zip code, how far you're willing to drive (so I get the within certain radius search), what features you're looking for, etc. I can help you look on some of the auto sites. I've helped a few people find their vehicles and found mine that way. cargurus sometimes has listings that aren't on cars or autotrader. I can also google VINs of any that interest you to see if they've been sold before & what the prices were. So if there was ever a lower price the dealership is supposed to honor that lower price.

I'm about to go grab mail and go to Walmart again I forgot dogfood.

If you're ok with DMing your zip code, how far you're willing to drive (so I get the within certain radius search), what features you're looking for, etc. I can help you look on some of the auto sites. I've helped a few people find their vehicles and found mine that way. cargurus sometimes has listings that aren't on cars or autotrader. I can also google VINs of any that interest you to see if they've been sold before & what the prices were. So if there was ever a lower price the dealership is supposed to honor that lower price.

I'm about to go grab mail and go to Walmart again I forgot dogfood.

I appreciate your willingness to help.
Thanks a bunch, but we won't go over ,50 miles to purchase anything.

We just don't drive anymore than necessary.

I'll look at all those sites for 50 miles radius.

Jim

Got my generator figured out, let some more smoke out of the afore mentioned compressor motor, Caused my self some more work, gotta stop that silly practice

@INresponse I also do my vehicles maintenance with one exception. If I need an oil change in crappy winter weather, I'll have it done at a quick oil change place.

One year I needed an oil change in fall during a hurricane so I had it done in town. Late winter came and it was due again, freezing outside and my shop isn't heated. So I stopped at the same place. #$%

I found out the putz in the pit had stripped out the plug in September and replaced it with an oversized bolt. They did not tell me! The old plug was a little tricky to get started, that wasn't the issue. THEY DID NOT tell me! That was the issue.

And to make this worse!!!! The only reason they told me in January... The manager came and got me to explain they could not change my oil because they did not have a wrench to fit the oil plug. The oversized plug THEY PUT IN!!!!!!!!!! I got more than a little bent out of shape over that bs!!!! They changed the oil before I left at no charge. I prefer to think they did it because it was the right thing to do, and not because of my old SKS wedged between the console and passenger seat in plain view of everyone. Hey, it's a farm truck, always a rifle in it.
-------------------

Got some lumber from the sawmill this afternoon, fed the critters, rested...

My thanksgiving is over but I wish everyone a wonderful holiday! Be safe if you're traveling!

Last edited:
Tried to be productive today. Made 4 chocolate pies, 1 for husband, 3 for his family meal tomorrow. Felt like I was on a roll. As custard was cooling got everything out to make pound cakes for freezer. Going great so made 2 more. While those were baking I went down in pasture and put out a sack of mineral. They had eaten one sack in 6 days. Came back, washing dishes and discovered I had used a 1/3 cup for Crisco instead of 1/2 cup. Cakes are dry. 3 1/2 in freezer for Christmas. Used 3 dozen egg s today. Oh well, ice cream on top, strawberry and cool whip, lemon glaze, rum. endless possibilities.

Tried to be productive today. Made 4 chocolate pies, 1 for husband, 3 for his family meal tomorrow. Felt like I was on a roll. As custard was cooling got everything out to make pound cakes for freezer. Going great so made 2 more. While those were baking I went down in pasture and put out a sack of mineral. They had eaten one sack in 6 days. Came back, washing dishes and discovered I had used a 1/3 cup for Crisco instead of 1/2 cup. Cakes are dry. 3 1/2 in freezer for Christmas. Used 3 dozen egg s today. Oh well, ice cream on top, strawberry and cool whip, lemon glaze, rum. endless possibilities.
Melt butter and drizzle dump ;) over them before serving.

Good luck with the search, Jim! I hope you find a vehicle that suits you. One thing to look for is how long the vehicle has been for sale and whether or not it's going to need a new battery. Both of mine needed new batteries. I did get a discount on one for having a bad battery that had to be jumpstarted.

Txcatlady, I was loving the post when I saw chocolate pies. Sorry to hear they didn't turn out well. I think I'm with Ladylucust-- dump butter! LOL.

I didn't get around to cleaning yet after the trip to the store. Looked at the room and wasn't sure where to begin. I have all of tomorrow to clean. Talked to my friend about the plan to get the pipes run on Friday.

Mom just came out of her room and is hollering at me to get up. I guess she wants food. LOL. She said something to me from the hallway but I couldn't hear.

On the bright side, I'm enjoying my new Vornado fan she got me, and she also got me a dowel jig kit that I can use for construction stuff.

Cakes are dry.
I bet they would make a great bread pudding crumbled up!

This morning, I will walk first and walk dogs.
Cut up carrots for dog treats.
Make cornbread dressing.
Make green bean casserole.
Find a box to gift wrap and put Christmas tree stand in to stabilize (new cat strategy).
Otherwise just resting. The tree will wait until tomorrow.

My brother cooked the ham last night and left a huge mess. So, guess who was up before daylight cleaning & putting away leftovers? I'm going to spend the day cleaning. The "red gravy" stained the countertop & won't come out. At least the sauce my brother made with cinnamon is good. Meat is a little dry.

Today I need to clean out/wipe down insides of cabinets, clean the floor, wash more dishes, dry them, put them away, clean and refill litterboxes, clean litter mats, clean carpeted hallway & clear a path to the closet (I already moved the ladder that was out- but need to get rid of some empty boxes that were piled up against the door), throw out old dog mats that got peed on (or see if they can be washed), and try to move stuff in the hallway to the laundry room to clear a path so my friend can access the plumbing. Pushed back plumbing day to Sunday when my friend doesn't have to work.

I got all the critters fed and watered this afternoon. Spent some time with the calf, poor little guy is lonely. I went down to the pole barn to lay out stalls. Using some of the lumber I got at the sawmill I laid out several possibilities.

I was just trying to narrow down the best placement and how to protect the rolls of hay not yet in use. I now have a working plan instead of a general idea.

I went to get the gear, wood posts, post hole diggers, tools etc. and it started raining, rained until dark. I guess building barn stalls can wait until tomorrow.

Just got mom home. Great dinner, husband loved the pie made with our pumpkins, so that was good to hear. He's a picky eater sometimes. The couple we invited over couldn't make it because their basement flooded this morning. But there was mom, cousin Wanda, and neighbor boy Levi, along with our group of five. So no cooking for me for the next few days except husband's breakfast. We have a pie rule after Thanksgiving and the grandkids love it. They can have pie for breakfast every morning till it's gone. We have one and a half pumpkin pies, a whole pumpkin cheesecake, and a strawberry cake thing the grandson's girlfriend brought over.

Latest posts

Back