What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's exactly why I want the Ridgeline.
It's not a true truck. 1/2 suv , half truck..
Rides quiet , smooth , comfortable, handles like a a car.

Tacoma , Ranger, Frontier, Colorado are pure trucks.

The Ridgeline will suit my needs now. I need a car I can haul some 2x4s and a fridge if I need to.

I have driven the Tacoma and Ranger...nice but they're trucks.

I'm for more comfort now.
The big Ram is too big, too hard to get in and out , and rides too stiff.
View attachment 75880

Jim
I'd be for getting rid of the Dodge too. Seems like those things fall apart way faster than other trucks. We have a whole fleet of Rams at work and those Hemi motors are blowing up left and right. We're struggling to get 125,000 miles out of them. But the big wigs say we have to keep fixing them so we send them in for new motors. Some of them have close to 50k in repairs by the time they hit 150,000 miles...

Thursday went to Yakima to state championship, unfortunately my daughters team got beaten out the first round. I keep telling her how awesome it is that her team made state.
Friday we went into to turn in my daughters Subaru Impreza, they gave us an additional 3k - got her a new 2022 Crosstrek, cheaper than it would've been to buy her 2019 Impreza.
Went back to work Sat. Was super slow yesterday, just a couple admits. Today we got hammered with admissions, 4 cardiac arrests in less than 12 hours (has to be a record) - I think total of 7 admits to ICU, none COVID, thank goodness. Sure hope COVID stays like this.
Have to work another 12 again tomorrow, then drive 2 1/2- 3 hours home.
My stepson and his wife and kids are coming Wednesday for Thanksgiving. I cook a big meal every year. My parents will also come, my other stepson and his girlfriend plus my daughter. This will be my first year without my son. He is in Hawaii on vacation, sounds pretty amazing right now. :D

I'd be for getting rid of the Dodge too. Seems like those things fall apart way faster than other trucks. We have a whole fleet of Rams at work and those Hemi motors are blowing up left and right. We're struggling to get 125,000 miles out of them. But the big wigs say we have to keep fixing them so we send them in for new motors. Some of them have close to 50k in repairs by the time they hit 150,000 miles...
I've had this one 7 years , it's the 2500 with 5.9 Cummins diesel....bomb proof.
Never did anything but put brake pads on it . 226,000 miles on it.
I wouldn't own the hemi.

Jim

Tacoma , Ranger, Frontier, Colorado are pure trucks.

I have driven the Tacoma and Ranger...nice but they're trucks.
I'm for more comfort now.
The big Ram is too big, too hard to get in and out , and rides too stiff.
View attachment 75880

Jim
...Well, I guess that means you don't want "ol' mudslinga"😭.

I thought ole mudslinger went to the great mudhole in the sky.
😄

Jim
Heck no! The new tires I put on it before I moved here only have 2,000 miles on 'em!
It will probably be around to carry my ashes to the church service :thumbs:.

Drove the 30 miles to town this morning to get parts to repair the leaking frost free hydrant, found the last 2 on the shelf and at the register realized I didn't have my wallet. Came home for said wallet and returned to the store and bought the repair kits. Back home, only 120 miles of driving for a 60 mile round trip. I need to grab some wrenches and make the repairs here shortly.

Not sure if I will work on taping drywall today. I may just organize the mess in the garage so I can make good progress tomorrow. GF's daughter needs me to change the headlights in her car. Yippie, these darn new cars are a pain in the neck, arms, wrists, and hands. Having to pull back the fender well liners to squeeze a hand in the small opening is just stupid. Damn disposable cars, not meant to be repaired.

Weather is nice, so I guess that is good.
Soooo, the repair parts for the hydrant were possibly not the right ones. All the parts for the top of the hydrant fit but the rubber stopper that goes into the pipe would not go all the way down so we had no water last night. Today I drove back to town and bought a new hydrant to just replace everything, but I decided to buy a taller one so I don't have to bend over anymore to connect the hose. I wanted to do that anyways so as annoying and difficult it was to dig down to reach the fitting at least I have it replaced with a taller unit. Utah desert dirt is very difficult to dig, even though it was dug up 5 years ago it was hard as rock again. When I refilled the hole I put in 2 bags of sand at the bottom so if I have to dig it up again it should be a lot easier.

I got plenty of sleep last night but still feeling tired today. The work in the garage stirred up dirt/dust so my sinuses were terrible and kept coughing a lot the last couple days. That is mostly cleared up now so hopefully tomorrow I am good to get back at the tape and mud in the garage. You know, so I can aggravate my sinuses again.

I'd been thinking for sometime about getting a new vehicle but no more. I'll wait until this circus is over.

Took it easy today, digging post holes yesterday wore me out. I did go out and feed the critters this afternoon. Did some lite cleaning around the house. Watched some tv, exciting stuff.

Big ouch.
Had dinner at my cousins house and found out what a hog radish was. Cousin's daughter and her husband planted hog radishes for a cover crop in their garden for the winter. He said he pulled a big one and had slice some and cooked it up with potatoes, and his wife said it smelled bad, the cooked radish, and don't do that in their kitchen. Asked him why he didn't eat it raw, and said he might. Asked if I wanted a couple to take home, so he went out in the dark and brought in a couple of the biggest radishes I've ever seen in my life. A couple feet long and about 8 inches wide. I'll try them. Ha. Played another round of cards at home with our company, and they'll be on their way to Texas late tomorrow morning.

I was being facetious when I posted this, but then I got curious and looked on Cars.com. A 2012, 4x4 RAM 2500 diesel with 248,000 miles on it was $24,900.

Used trucks are ridiculous...
I guess that’s everywhere. Priced them around here recently, same kind of prices. Yes, unreasonable, Spike.

@Amish Heart what color are the radishes? All I’m seeing on internet search are daikon radishes for “hog radishes”. I use daikon in stir fry.
My foot was swollen all day and hurt bad enough to take a pain pill for it, finally. Swelling went down too. I guess I’ll eventually be a little ol’ lady wearing orthopedic shoes and house dresses. :rolleyes:
Remember those?

I made sweet pickled daikons about a year ago. Guess I should try them. LOL

Today, I will walk first and maybe walk dogs.
Do laundry.
Vacuum seal a box of pecans into packages. And seal some extra stuffing and dressing mix.
Finish up addressing Christmas cards.
Take eBay photos for dh.
Make fermented garlic and honey.
And a few little misc. tasks.
Easy day!

I was being facetious when I posted this, but then I got curious and looked on Cars.com. A 2012, 4x4 RAM 2500 diesel with 248,000 miles on it was $24,900.

Used trucks are ridiculous...

I looked up my exact truck on NADA and KBB, 2005 Laramie like new.
S15,000 to 16,000
Trade in value.
Diesels hold value.

Jim

I looked up my exact truck on NADA and KBB, 2005 Laramie like new.
S15,000 to 16,000
Trade in value.
Diesels hold value.

Jim
That's a nice down payment.

My brother bought a half ton Silverado with the little 3.0 diesel in it last May. The dealer called him up recently and offered him more than he paid to buy it back. He said no, I think I kind of like this truck. He was hoping they'd call back a few days later with a better deal, but they never did. He told me he didn't care, because he still has a new truck and he's in a good spot either way...

Hey SH - might look at an indoor propane heater. Not a permanent fix, but to get you through. We have all electric and I didn't want to get stuck without heat again. It was well worth the couple hundred dollars (maybe $150ish). Even a buddy heater puts out quite a bit of heat to get you through. Wishing you a quick repair/replacement.
We have a propane stove in the kitchen mom and dad use to use to help heat the house before they put in the central heating,it hasn't been used in over 17 years though and the thermocouple needs replaced and it needs cleaned. I asked him if it'd be worth getting going knowing it probably wouldn't be run again for maybe 10 years or more,he said no because I'd have to fix it again next time,thermocouples wear out even if not used. He said if we needed another heater to get us by to let him know. The furnace is set up to be replaced in the morning so it's only 1 more day,we should be ok but if not I'll call him.

We have a propane stove in the kitchen mom and dad use to use to help heat the house before they put in the central heating,it hasn't been used in over 17 years though and the thermocouple needs replaced and it needs cleaned. I asked him if it'd be worth getting going knowing it probably wouldn't be run again for maybe 10 years or more,he said no because I'd have to fix it again next time,thermocouples wear out even if not used. He said if we needed another heater to get us by to let him know. The furnace is set up to be replaced in the morning so it's only 1 more day,we should be ok but if not I'll call him.
Thermo couples are a pretty reasonable item to replace, and it would be a cheap back up, if you by one buy 2, keep the spare in a dry even as possible temp place.
sometimes one shouldn't always listen to old school excuses, more often than not they are just that an excuse. Of course if your parents still run the program, just look into what you need to do to fix the stove if the need arises, and don't stir the pot,

Thermo couples are a pretty reasonable item to replace, and it would be a cheap back up, if you by one buy 2, keep the spare in a dry even as possible temp place.
sometimes one shouldn't always listen to old school excuses, more often than not they are just that an excuse. Of course if your parents still run the program, just look into what you need to do to fix the stove if the need arises, and don't stir the pot,
The repair guy is the 1 that told me that,I was thinking along the same line before I mentioned it. My parents have been gone for over 9 years,I bought my brothers and sisters out after dad died since I needed a place,I was ordered by the divorce Judge to sell the house in town, plus I know this house like the back of my hand since I grew up here,mom and dad bought it in 1950 when they got married. There's no place like home you know. It's no problem though since it's only a few days,if it was going to be weeks or months I'd fix the stove.

Time to catch-up...

The Princess and I went looking for a "farmhouse sink" but nothing she liked was in stock. She found one and a faucet on the Lowe's website. I think am supposed to pick it up Wednesday.

The granddaughters joined us for an overnight on Saturday and my sister joined the movie night. My sister gave a gem that was headed to the dumpster. She is a pharmacy assistant and she snagged the shipping container the vaccine ships in. It made of Styrofoam and about twice as large as a large ice chest. I stashed it until I figure out to best use it.

20211120_231306.jpg

When my son picked up the girls on Sunday he showed his genetics and was not to be out done by my sister and reported he taking advantage of the local school district to stop teaching archery. I will check it out on Saturday but he reported compound bows, wrist protectors, arrows, targets...

I did get some more of the electrical needs done at the remodel place. I also got a 4-pack of florescent shop lights to install in the basement. There is always another thing to install.

There was a decent sunset I finished for the day.

20211122_164250_HDR.jpg

Ben

Time to catch-up...

The Princess and I went looking for a "farmhouse sink" but nothing she liked was in stock. She found one and a faucet on the Lowe's website. I think am supposed to pick it up Wednesday.

The granddaughters joined us for an overnight on Saturday and my sister joined the movie night. My sister gave a gem that was headed to the dumpster. She is a pharmacy assistant and she snagged the shipping container the vaccine ships in. It made of Styrofoam and about twice as large as a large ice chest. I stashed it until I figure out to best use it.

View attachment 75925

When my son picked up the girls on Sunday he showed his genetics and was not to be out done by my sister and reported he taking advantage of the local school district to stop teaching archery. I will check it out on Saturday but he reported compound bows, wrist protectors, arrows, targets...

I did get some more of the electrical needs done at the remodel place. I also got a 4-pack of florescent shop lights to install in the basement. There is always another thing to install.

There was a decent sunset I finished for the day.

View attachment 75924

Ben
Ben, do you mind if I ask what nationality you are? Your son bares strong resemblance and your grands don't stray to far looks-wise. I know they're bibbers, but they're strong genes (jeans) hardiharhar.

Today has been a bit crazy. Hubby is on site which means I've made at least a half dozen trips down there to take things he either didn't know he needed or forgot. And it's Monday of a short week, and I had to run payroll. All is well as long as you don't ask me a difficult question that makes me think too much 😂
I think the high was 36* today, but foggy so felt colder. Brrr. Received our power bill though and quite a bit better than last year at this time.
Hubby read last night that 55K children have been removed from the public school system in WA state. I told him good & he looked at me sideways. I said that means that their parents care about their education and they have a better chance at life. He agreed.

I am happy with my Tacoma. 2013, oil changed and tires rotated faithfully. Battery, cables, tires and wiper blades only thing not original. Drivers front light kicks off on occasion. Horn doesn’t work bout it is in steering column. Can’t pay for that. Will try to get by pass button before next inspection

Ben, do you mind if I ask what nationality you are? Your son bares strong resemblance and your grands don't stray to far looks-wise. I know they're bibbers, but they're strong genes (jeans) hardiharhar.
Mutt.

My father was half Italian (Caputo) and my mother was half Hungarian (Deak). My father's side came over on the Mayflower so American.

This is 4 generation taken almost 13 years ago. All wearing bibs.

0300533988984319905249145352113.jpg

Being a numbers guys...
Olivia was 0
Nathan was 25
I was 50
My father was 75.

Ben

Latest posts

Back