What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peanut - the info on the cherry leaves is interesting. Didn't know that or the tie in with cherry flavored cough syrup.
There were a great many plants that were part of the US Pharmacopeia prior to ww2. It’s a list “approved medications”. Cherry was listed in the very first US pharmacopeia in 1820. It was commonly used and addressed more health issues than I can count. It’s not just for cough syrup.

Sort of funny how cherry flavored cough syrup actually has a real history. After ww1 and the gas attacks, the name cyanide water made folks uncomfortable. The name cherry water had already been in use in parts of the country and took over the labels. Every one referred to it that way for decades.

Big pharma, as they do so often… came up with an addictive synthetic chemical to replace naturally occurring properties in cherry trees. But, the name Cherry still had a use… Instead of labels that read "with cherry" they read “Cherry Flavored”... for the next 80years, a marketing gimmick. The old bait and switch routine.

Last edited:
Worked today.
Got the Whole Seed Catalog 2022 in the mail. And a card from a friend whose daughter died from c19. She was telling me she was grateful for good health. So sad.
@Peanut I have a couple of pieces of cherry lumber. One of my sibs has a table our gr. grandfather made of cherry. Cherry juice fights inflammation and arthritis pain; boosts immunity; regulates metabolism and fights fat (haha); blocks cancer growth. I thought it was high in iron. Yes, rich in potassium and iron. If you have CKD, highly ill-advised to partake of cherry juice. I'm just saying what I dug up on the nets.

Still hsve company. They sleep in more, so I try to get the animals and other stuff done before they wake up. Took them into town for shopping at different places, they wanted to get some amish food stuff before they leave. I think tomorrow is the Cosmosphere, but the husband has a sick stomach tonight, and the wife has a bum knee, so we'll see. Not sure if they leave Mon, Tues, or Wed. Dinner at cousin's tomorrow. Weird having company that are not preppers. I don't even think that they suspect. They don't like what's going on in the world, but not enough to prepare.

Started working on fences today, digging post holes. Better now than august. I was feet away from the calf, poor little guy, lonely. He's a herd animal without a herd. I took a couple breaks and just sat on a bucket inside his pen. He'd come over and hang out, just stand by me doing nothing while I rested a bit.

More college football tonight.

So we are pretty much past the stage of buying presents for each other for the sake of buying presents. Hubby found the pair of ski boots he wanted so we went over today (about an hour away) so they could be fitted etc. He said I should look for new pants and a new coat. I don't mind my coat other than it's bulky. I got it at a yard sale years ago. My pants were kids pants from a ski swap - needless to say, not exactly top notch gear. He doesn't like my coat because it's white so if I go down, he can't see me in the snow. Today I found pants and a coat. Funny thing, I tried on a few pairs of pants and found a pair that was "okay." Also found a coat that was sorta okay. Then while he was in the process of fitting his boots, I went back to the clearance section to browse. I found a great coat that was originally about $60 more than the okay one and was on sale for much less. It's a mustard yellow color which Hubby appreciated. Then I continued to browse and found a pair of pants and tried them on - same situation regular price more, but marked down to less than the okay pair. I was thrilled because they actually fit. Anyhoo, we got our Christmas gifts to each other and are both happy.

I did cantankerous Hermit hillbilly things today, worked on a way to move IBC tote cages full of firewood away from the splitter without having to start the forklift, It has a duetz air cooled diesel, and doesn't like cold weather. and I like to have a back up plan, Unloaded the new to me PTO generator that I bought from my son, and some other treasures i got while I was there.

We took the day off and drove about 50 miles to a Honda dealer to look at a Honda Ridgeline. I may be selling the ,beast, Dodge ram .
Lunch was good..😊😊 White Castle 🤭🤭.

Something happened I never seen or heard before . Salesman right away told us upfront, they will not sell for cash, only finance thru them and the banks they use.
Found out that they get a 5% kickback from the banks.
You can put money down , but had rather not, as that cuts into their kickback.
😳😳🙄.

We left.

Jim

We took the day off and drove about 50 miles to a Honda dealer to look at a Honda Ridgeline. I may be selling the ,beast, Dodge ram .

Something happened I never seen or heard before . Salesman right away told us upfront, they will not sell for cash, only finance thru them and the banks they use.
😳😳🙄.

We left.

Jim
I heard a story recently that buying and selling cars has changed. It used to be that a brand new car, once driven off the lot was valued at least $1,000 less than the original price, but that is not true now.

One couple signed a leasing agreement a few years ago, with the right to purchase at a certain price when the lease was up. When the 3 year lease was up, the car was valued more than the agreed purchase price as the end of the lease.

My neighbors purchased a new car and had always purchased used, in spite of being able to purchase new cars. They have made 6 figures for decades and have no children and a home that has been paid off for a couple decades. They were told by a family member that things have really changed in purchasing a car and as long as they have the money to purchase new.

Also heard that there could be a car shortage coming.

😳😳🙄.

We left.

Jim
If you can can eat at White Castle you are immune to anything :). Stay close to the outhouse :D. I do like some WC cheesseburgers now and then :D

Last edited:
We buy a car about every 10 years. I bought a new Subaru in 2018 for 0.0% interest, be paid off in June 2022, to replace a 2009 smart. Next up for replacement is Lori's 2010 Subaru Impreza sport, we will see what happens in the next year or so.

…Something happened I never seen or heard before . Salesman right away told us upfront, they will not sell for cash, only finance thru them and the banks they use.
Found out that they get a 5% kickback from the banks….

We left.

Jim

I’d walk out too.

FYI. Last two vehicles I bought (both used) were from the same Honda dealer with no financing.

We are looking to replace the monster truck ,Dodge ram 2500, with a Honda Ridgeline or Ford Ranger. The Honda dealer may be out...didn't even want me to put a large amount down , must less pay cash up front.

Going to Church this morning.
They are having the annual Homecoming dinner after service.
We will stay for that, gorge ourselves on good ole country home cooking.

Then come home and nap.

Jim

Thanks @LadyLocust

I washed dishes and cooked yesterday. Dealt with Mom being a drama queen briefly.

😳😳🙄.

We left.

Jim
Sorry to hear the dealership was being idiotic. 2013 is the best model year for Ridgelines. It's the first year that backup cameras became standard. RTL with navigation is worth it if you can afford it. I'd check cargurus, autotrader, etc online and find out about the financing. I would never buy from a dealership that only did financing.

We only replace our vehicles when the old ones get totaled. Got a Ridgeline to replace a Ford Ranger and Ford Expedition after a tree fell on them. The trunk is great. It doesn't feel like a truck when driving-- no fishtailing. I'd recommend LED headlights though. Standard ones aren't great but are still better than the ones in the CRV.

Been busy, busy, busy.
Thawed the partially baked sweet potato casserole last night and finished baking/ heating this morning. Thawed banana bread that was put in freezer instead of fridge at Church.
Set up fellowship hall and listened to Church, then served and cleaned up after meal.
Came home and walked dogs.
Put away leftovers.
And I'm done for the day, except to eat dinner, which I didn't do at Church.

I'm trying to keep warm. Thursday we had an appointment to sign our Wills and the furnace started acting up,it;s propane by the way,but it'd go through the warm up stage then the main blower would come on,run for minute and shut right back down and start all over. I called the repair man but told him to wait until Friday,I didn't want to put off the Will like my neighbor did and it be too late. Yesterday morning around 8:45 it started running and kept running,heating the house back up. About 9:40 the carbon monoxide alarm went off and notified ADT who called the Fire Department. I wasn't sure if it was a faulty alarm or a real problem. The Fireman tested the house and it was 52 ppm,it's suppose to be below 9 ppm. He told me to shut the gas off and he shut down the furnace. When the repair got here he started it and got a reading of 20 ppm at the floor vent in just a couple minutes,he shut it back down and told me it was shot. The heat exchanger is out again,I just replaced it in 2,012. He said there was a recall on all of them made before .2,015. His boss was out of town so I couldn't get a quote on repairing it or replacing the furnace. I had another guy look at it today for a quote,which he hasn't gave it to me yet. So in the meantime we're trying to stay warm with just 2 portable electric heaters,1 in the main part of the house and 1 in the bedroom. It's only 65 in here and the outside temperature is 40,it's suppose to get down to 25 tonight and a high tomorrow of 35 with 25-35 mph winds. I hope I can get it fixed soon....brrr.

Finished another knitted UFO project today.
Working on another quilt for Christmas gift cabinet.
Swapped out pastel yarns for more manly yarn colors; this coming from 9 year old bonus grandson.
He cracks me up sometimes.
Finished another Christmas quilt to be donated to the Neo Natal unit at Local Children's Hospital in Kansas City Missouri.
Hopefully will start quilting the quilts I have finished the 1st of December.

We are looking to replace the monster truck ,Dodge ram 2500, with a Honda Ridgeline or Ford Ranger. The Honda dealer may be out...didn't even want me to put a large amount down , must less pay cash up front.

Going to Church this morning.
They are having the annual Homecoming dinner after service.
We will stay for that, gorge ourselves on good ole country home cooking.

Then come home and nap.

Jim
Why not a Toyota Tacoma, Jim? The Ridgeline has some clever features and it's got Honda quality, but it's still a crossover, not a truck. And the Tacoma is about the same price. I would say go with the Ranger, but I was thoroughly unimpressed when I checked them out. The seats were godawful unless you get the top of the line model, and the interior felt cramped compared to the Tacoma...

Last Ranger I had was absolute garbage. It was a mercy when the tree destroyed that ugly thing (it was some kind of weird orange color). But, maybe it was just a bad one because we bought if off a friend's daughter & she lied about the model year. Claimed it was 2001 but it was a 99. Didn't find out until after the sale when we got the title. Paid more for it than it was worth. Fishtailed like crazy, didn't have much power to go. Even the horse hated it. He saw that ugly thing and kicked it.

Tacos are nice trucks. Ridgeline and Taco owners like to mess with each other a bit, but I figure to each their own. I personally like the Ridgeline because of the safety features, solid frame, and most importantly the trunk in the bed. I keep a fullsize cooler in there for groceries. Spare tire is in there too.

Went to Samsclub today to get more milk and stuff. Mom got mad that I didn't get dog food (because she didn't mention needing dog food) before I left. Sams doesn't sell the dog food we get anyway though. I'll have to grab it tomorrow along with cow feed. The cow was really up in my space today over wanting more feed. I really need to find good hay for sale that can be delivered.

Last Ranger I had was absolute garbage. It was a mercy when the tree destroyed that ugly thing (it was some kind of weird orange color). But, maybe it was just a bad one because we bought if off a friend's daughter & she lied about the model year. Claimed it was 2001 but it was a 99. Didn't find out until after the sale when we got the title. Paid more for it than it was worth. Fishtailed like crazy, didn't have much power to go. Even the horse hated it. He saw that ugly thing and kicked it.

Tacos are nice trucks. Ridgeline and Taco owners like to mess with each other a bit, but I figure to each their own. I personally like the Ridgeline because of the safety features, solid frame, and most importantly the trunk in the bed. I keep a fullsize cooler in there for groceries. Spare tire is in there too.

Went to Samsclub today to get more milk and stuff. Mom got mad that I didn't get dog food (because she didn't mention needing dog food) before I left. Sams doesn't sell the dog food we get anyway though. I'll have to grab it tomorrow along with cow feed. The cow was really up in my space today over wanting more feed. I really need to find good hay for sale that can be delivered.
The new Rangers are a whole different breed of cat compared to those junky ones from the 90s and early 2000s. They're way better. But still not as good as a Tacoma. I guess my opinion is that they are similar to the newer Chevy Colorados.

Why not a Toyota Tacoma, Jim? The Ridgeline has some clever features and it's got Honda quality, but it's still a crossover, not a truck.

That's exactly why I want the Ridgeline.
It's not a true truck. 1/2 suv , half truck..
Rides quiet , smooth , comfortable, handles like a a car.

Tacoma , Ranger, Frontier, Colorado are pure trucks.

The Ridgeline will suit my needs now. I need a car I can haul some 2x4s and a fridge if I need to.

I have driven the Tacoma and Ranger...nice but they're trucks.

I'm for more comfort now.
The big Ram is too big, too hard to get in and out , and rides too stiff.
fuel5.jpg

Jim

I'm trying to keep warm. Thursday we had an appointment to sign our Wills and the furnace started acting up,it;s propane by the way,but it'd go through the warm up stage then the main blower would come on,run for minute and shut right back down and start all over. I called the repair man but told him to wait until Friday,I didn't want to put off the Will like my neighbor did and it be too late. Yesterday morning around 8:45 it started running and kept running,heating the house back up. About 9:40 the carbon monoxide alarm went off and notified ADT who called the Fire Department. I wasn't sure if it was a faulty alarm or a real problem. The Fireman tested the house and it was 52 ppm,it's suppose to be below 9 ppm. He told me to shut the gas off and he shut down the furnace. When the repair got here he started it and got a reading of 20 ppm at the floor vent in just a couple minutes,he shut it back down and told me it was shot. The heat exchanger is out again,I just replaced it in 2,012. He said there was a recall on all of them made before .2,015. His boss was out of town so I couldn't get a quote on repairing it or replacing the furnace. I had another guy look at it today for a quote,which he hasn't gave it to me yet. So in the meantime we're trying to stay warm with just 2 portable electric heaters,1 in the main part of the house and 1 in the bedroom. It's only 65 in here and the outside temperature is 40,it's suppose to get down to 25 tonight and a high tomorrow of 35 with 25-35 mph winds. I hope I can get it fixed soon....brrr.
Hey SH - might look at an indoor propane heater. Not a permanent fix, but to get you through. We have all electric and I didn't want to get stuck without heat again. It was well worth the couple hundred dollars (maybe $150ish). Even a buddy heater puts out quite a bit of heat to get you through. Wishing you a quick repair/replacement.

Finished up the job in Mankato this morning. I got popped in the forehead by a 28 pound claw bar when it slipped off the head of a spike. My hard hat took the brunt of the blow but it did nick me a little...
16375469110775010265705350198766.jpg

The boss isn't going to know about it. I don't want to have to fill out a report.:LOL:

Now I've got 8 days off for Thanksgiving plus 3 days of vacation coming. Then I'll have to work 5 days, have 6 off, fly to Crackifornia and work 1 day. Then I'll fly back home and have the last half of December off - paid.

Life is good...:thumbs:

Latest posts

Back