What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that’s because most of them have been coddled and lied to. They have never been taught the value and joy of a job well done ... how could they when everyone gets a ribbon. Work to them is something to endure not a blessing from God to be enjoyed. I am 60 and have had a wide variety of work experience and some pretty miserable jobs but was always able to say tha5 I gave them everything I had and was able to feel good about it.

That is very well said!!!

... how could they when everyone gets a ribbon.

My ex and I got into many disagreements about "participation trophies." I thought is was such a ridiculous idea and she thought it was great that all the kids were recognized and made to feel worthy.

Right. Now look what we have. :rolleyes:

Think I'll stay inside and tinker around the house,like clean the aquarium,maybe do some reloading,anything to keep out of this as much as possible. :eek:
4t4EPen.jpg

Had to run to the store for a couple of ceramic space heaters as the central unit was making a lot of unusual noises last night. If it dies, it won't get fixed real soon and it's been a little cool lately!

Now home and getting ready to make jambalaya for New Years!

Just got done dressing a doe. It's ready to finish in the morning.
This is all possible thanks to @Dutchs for sending me a crossbow scope. It worked perfectly!

Last edited:
We cleaned up from the houseful of family yesterday. SOOOOOO Cold. Can stand being outside for only 5 minutes max. Brought pies to mom and uncle and visited. My nephew and his wife returned to Oklahoma. I started the pack up and clean up for the drive back home tomorrow. Wish we could stay a little longer.

We cleaned up from the houseful of family yesterday. SOOOOOO Cold. Can stand being outside for only 5 minutes max. Brought pies to mom and uncle and visited. My nephew and his wife returned to Oklahoma. I started the pack up and clean up for the drive back home tomorrow. Wish we could stay a little longer.
That's a long drive. Be safe and prayers out for y'all.

I braved the cold to go to Lowes. They were having a flooring sale. The Linoleum in my kitchen, living rm and hall is 27 years old. It was in bad need of replacement. All I could afford was laminate flooring. It looks nice and only came to $1.15 a sqft w/tax. Even better I can do it myself and leave the linoleum underneath. The only real work will be moving furniture…

While at lowes I ran into my contractor cousin who had just done and entire house with floating flooring. He gave me all the tips he could think of, simple enough. I’m not going to put it down until next week. The temps are too extreme this week. I’ll wait until things are back to normal.

Just wasted an hour and a half looking for my daughters dog. He wanted to go out at 11 and at 1 I remembered he was outside and went to get him. He was no where to be found. Checked the barn,the garage(foumd a water leak), the kid crawled up under the house-no dog. My youngest was starting to panic because we couldn't find him so I called my oldest who was at a friend's house to see see if maybe she had taken him with her for some reason. She wasn't at her friends house. Her friends mother was in a bad mood and yelling at the girls so she came home but forgot that she had broken her house key so instead of knocking on the door she went to sleep in the camper and took the dog to keep her warm. The youngest was almost hysterical thinking somehow the dog had jumped the 6ft fence... I hope the rest of the day is better when I wake up.......I'm going to bed.

Just wasted an hour and a half looking for my daughters dog. He wanted to go out at 11 and at 1 I remembered he was outside and went to get him. He was no where to be found. Checked the barn,the garage(foumd a water leak), the kid crawled up under the house-no dog. My youngest was starting to panic because we couldn't find him so I called my oldest who was at a friend's house to see see if maybe she had taken him with her for some reason. She wasn't at her friends house. Her friends mother was in a bad mood and yelling at the girls so she came home but forgot that she had broken her house key so instead of knocking on the door she went to sleep in the camper and took the dog to keep her warm. The youngest was almost hysterical thinking somehow the dog had jumped the 6ft fence... I hope the rest of the day is better when I wake up.......I'm going to bed.

That doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Get some sleep, then dole out some mom justice!

Hello everyone and hope you have all been keeping warm :D .

Started off the day with leveling out the two vegetable gardens we are amending with the large hoes we have and then DH rototilled them. We then went and got a trailer load of around 3 cubic metres of horse manure from our local horse stud and spread that over the 2 garden beds and rototilled that in.

Into the house and we put on a pork shoulder roast in the oven to roast and had that with the rest of our pasta salad we made as it is still hot here at the moment. We got a bit of a reprieve late this evening and had 22.8mm of rain in a complete deluge.

During that time the dog from 2 doors down was leaning on the front door and when DH opened the door the dog (large Labrador) dove inside behind our lounge shaking, quivering and drooling because of the thunder outside. Couldn't get he darn thing out of the house until there was no thunder as it was scared witless. Fortunately Tabatha the cat had also dove under our bed for protection because of the loud thunder so we had to shut the bedroom door because of the dog. Oh what a scene a drooling quivering Labrador in the lounge room and a cat hiding welded to the floor under our bed. Now the house smells like wet dog grrr :rolleyes: and the front door screen is pulled out because that is where the dog went through it coming into the house. Door screen repair will be on the list for tomorrow as well as more dog proofing of the back paddock fence so the darn dog can't get in here.

It's so cold here,I didn't let the chickens out.Let the geese out at 12:30 p m because they were having a hissy.I really think I should've let them have their hissy and kept them penned.I'm afraid it's too cold for their feet,especially on the snow and ice.It's 3 with a -6 windchill.

We leave the people door to the coop open but they can go in and out the little chicken door if they want to. Most of them come out every day unless we've had a few inches of snow. The only cold weather issue we've ever had was with the roosters. The got a touch of frostbite on their comb.

Saturday. Layered up. Mule barely turned over but wouldn't start. Connect the battery charger to the Mule and a battery maintainer/conditioner to the lawn mower's battery. Got the Mule to run, plowed out the driveways in preparation for our guests on New Year's eve. I'm still warm so I drive over to the neighbor's but he has his driveway already cleared. Briefly thought about driving the Mule to work to clear the sidewalks, nixed the bad idea. Took a afternoon nap while a college football game unfolded on the TV. Walked down and got the mail, nothing but junk mail and a newspaper that publishes three day old news. Thought about reloading some S&W 40, good test for the press since I've replace a major spring. Watched a western instead.

Early Sunday morning responded to an alarm at work. 3 hours later back home to sleep 2 hours before getting up for church. Wife says I can catch up for the lack of sleep sleep ALL afternoon! After church she has a compulsive need to talk to everyone, then I take her out to a restaurant of her choice. Then she wants to check a house that she is watching for one of her clients. Back home for a hour nap before she wakes me to go get the pizzas for tonight New Year's eve party. Guests stay till 1 AM.

Monday is a Holiday! Wife has bladder problems and is normally up several times a night. 7 AM I give up trying to go back to sleep. Played around with our new iMac (our first Apple PC). Down loaded TurboTax and started our tax returns. Review web design software, everything I have is based on a PC running Vista, looks like RapidWeaver may be my final choice. Download a demo and tutorial video for RapidWeaver. One of our New Year's eve couples had spent the night (too long a drive and too late at night). In appreciation they fixed us a gourmet breakfast at 10:30 AM. Help clean up and visited until they leave at 1 PM. Watched in-between naps the LSU & Notre Dame game. Carry the Tupperware storage containers upstairs because the wife wanted to pack-away the Christmas decorations. I take the decorations off the top of the tree where she can't reach. Carry the Tupperware back downstairs and store under the steps. Naps haven't help to I'm in bed at 9 PM. 9:01 PM an alarm calls me to work. Back home at 12:30 AM for 6 1/2 hours of sleep before getting up for my normal work schedule.

Tuesday. Zoom zoom at work keeps me awake. Lack of sleep from the extended weekend has given me a headache. Late afternoon and all of the work fires have all be stomped out and I'm trying to stay awake to quitting time.

Made the long trip (about 140 miles round trip) into the "big" city (10,000 population) to buy supplies. Normally about once a month but this time it has been over two months. I brought the trailer and bought as much insulation for my new garage as I could carry. Need more. I also bought the heavy wire and a breaker box along with the conduit so I can at least get electric out there for when I start working on the inside. Hopefully tomorrow I'll start the trenching for running the wire.
Then it was to Walmart for more of a load as we filled up on groceries. Sure was nice to get home again.

Survived our long drive back home. I didn't even get pulled over this time. I don't know why, but I get pulled over often when we go back and forth to Kansas. It's usually for nothing, the officer just wants to see who is driving the New Mexico plates with shaded windows. Am so glad I took tomorrow off work so I can unpack, grocery shop, and get normal. Our son loaded 40 eggs in the incubator, and our 8 little new babes are looking good, except for the foot on the double yoked twin that hatch. We'll see how that one goes. The twins are not happy to return and have to shower tonight and pack their lunch and get right to bed for school tomorrow.

Round 1 of today is that we got some of our parcels from items we had ordered for preps and household needs and in the small mountain cottage still found room on one of our bookshelves for the Q tips and makeup removal pads as well as the spare underwear and sheets we had purchased. We have kept one set of sheets out to replace a set that has had it and I put one packet of Q tips and makeup removal pads in the bathroom to use. Then got all the packaging and wiped out our names and addresses off them and put them in the bin and emptied the recycling bin into the wheelie bin outside.

Our old neighbour arrived to tend to the bee hives in the back paddock and we had a good catch up for about an hour or so.

We had lunch and then headed out for another trailer load of horse manure for $20 this time larger about 4 cubic metres from the local horse stud as the garden beds are not as raised as we would like and we will work on that this afternoon. Our soil here just eats manure like it is going out of fashion so each time we harvest we have to add a stack more.

@Amish Heart glad you made it back home safely :) .

Last edited:
Round 2 for the day is that we spread the other 4 cubic metres of horse manure on the 2 garden beds and it has now been ploughed a number of times as we added each layer of manure. The garden beds are around 20 cm higher than they were before and now we just have to wait for some cow manure to be in stock at the transport company we deal through and they will then be ready after ploughing some of that through to plant again.

Latest posts

Back