What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished xrays. Waiting on radiologist now. I don't think it's broken. I think it's the tendons
Nothing broke!! Myositis, stretched tendons, and contusions. Praise God nuttin seriously wrong. Thanks for the prayers y'all.

I am in charge of greens for the New Year's dinner, so I need to head to the store and buy some before they are sold out. The batch I made last year were delicious, so I plan to make them the same way this year.
I'm gonna make a big lasagna from scratch for new years, in about 5 hours we will have 10 guests showing up to stay for the next week.

@Justin76 you know when you have suffered burnout in being in retail when you say what you actually think to the customers faces or laugh out loud at them. Yes been there and done that. I design homewares and sell them on the internet and get emails saying they want something made slightly longer than their arm :rolleyes: or just a tad bigger than the one I have listed. What the heck happened to a tape measure and learning to use one to give someone an accurate measurement ?.

You should respond with: Would that be the large Tad or the medium tad? OR is it eh left arm or the right arm you want it longer than? just one of the man reasons I am retired and happy.

25 degrees here now. Woodburning stove going. We had a long day...surprised my cousin at his work for his 50th bday, picked up mom and went to a luncheon. She had a great time and great shepherd's pie, green beans, macaroni, and a whole lot of dessert. Husband went back home to nap and we went shopping with my cousins, a little discount store and a second hand store. Brought mom back home and visited with my 93 yr old uncle. We are wiped out for the evening.

Started off the morning with stain removing some clothing and putting on a load of washing in the washing machine and then hanging it on the clothes line. Then I went around and watered half of the driveway house paddock lawns with saved grey water from our showers and washing machine.

We then moved into the back gardens where we are amending two garden beds that are not holding any water as they are mainly sand and dug out most of the sand in one garden bed and put it in the trailer and moved it into the front and filled in our driveway with the sand and rocks around the yard. The driveway had been washed away over time and causing our car to bottom out when we had a loaded trailer hitched on. We think someone initially had put sand in this area where the garden beds are for a chicken run or something so we have now got rid of most of it down to the more fertile soil and only have the other one to do. After we get all that crud out we will bring in some horse and cow manure and dig that through with the rototiller and dig in some scraps from the kitchen and spent garden plants as well. We are hoping to start planting in both of these beds in January some time.

Tonight's dinner will be homemade pizza and dessert will be tinned fruit and whipped cream. We will then fold up 2 loads of washing and put that away and have nice warm showers to get rid of the grunge all over us.

This old farmhouse needs a good cleaning. Since we arrived, we've hardly been here. Been at my moms, in the big town, and a number of cousin's places for meals. So, time to get cleaning today. We will be going into the big town this afternoon to get some particulars for New Years and some other stock ups. My nephew and his wife come in tonight to stay with us from Oklahoma, so it'll be a fun late night visiting. New Years Eve will be a houseful for supper here, (about 30) so I may start cooking today. I know some chocolate cream pies are necessary. Happy Birthday to Mr. Timmie! PB pie is a real good one.

Today will ' hopefully ' be a day of resting. Of course that is hard to do since everywhere you look you see something to do.
We will have to bathe the dogs though. And want to make a dog door but it has to have a ramp so Old Yeller [ just realized she looks like Old Yellow } can get up on the porch under their red biddy light.

9-10 days ago we cleaned and organized the house in preparation for our house guests. Today we are going to do it again to clean up after our house guests (and of course our residents as well). Also have some more shoveling and snow blowing to do thanks to the snowplow filling in the end of our driveway. Otherwise I intend to get in some snuggle time with my better half and perhaps watch a movie.

I am in charge of greens for the New Year's dinner, so I need to head to the store and buy some before they are sold out. The batch I made last year were delicious, so I plan to make them the same way this year.
Was there a freeze in the areas where our greens come from? There were so few greens available, in small groups and $1.99 a group. My daughter asked me to make lots, but there weren't lots available.

Was there a freeze in the areas where our greens come from? There were so few greens available, in small groups and $1.99 a group. My daughter asked me to make lots, but there weren't lots available.

We bought a lot of them last year bleached out bathtub washed em up and canned them. But didn't really like the smell of them. This year the ones we usually seen side of road are smaller.
I really miss Georgia greens which are several times taller and thicker than Florida greens.
we have enough ready in greenhouse to cook a pot full. Guess they like all the positive charged ion's in that red clay.

One large mutt bathed and Dawned for fleas, one more to go. I wear a bathing suit to bathe these dogs since they like to shake all their stink off on me. And cover my hair with plastic cap. First bath in Dawn soak 5 min.s for fleas, second in Barts Bees dog shampoo for dry skin alergy.
She did not want to get into shower so I did some cussing,straining and screaming at the bitch.

Cut a little jag of wood this morning.

gm.jpg

gm1.jpg

Yep, I can't get outta my chair .....just thinking about YOU doing it.

:LOL:

In my younger days .. I could , but not anymore.

Jim

Ive always been a really physical type person. I feel myself sliding backwards everyday but I can still work any 25 year old kids ass straight in the ground. That aint saying much anymore though......

...but I can still work any 25 year old kids ass straight in the ground. That aint saying much anymore though......

Boy ain't that the truth!

Some years back I had an employee that thought he was Mr. Tough Guy as he entered the world of tree care. I was 52 at the time and he was 24.

We had taken down a tree and were raking up the small twigs and debris after all the big stuff was chipped. We shovel it into 55gal trash cans and throw it in the truck. I had a can hoisted up on my shoulder and was walking towards the truck. This guy was dragging a can through the yard. As I caught up to him I grabbed the can he was dragging and threw it on my other shoulder, barely breaking my stride. He just looked at me like I was from another planet. He lasted about 2 months.

Yeah. It's not too hard to work circles around most 20 somethings.

Back