What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a full day with mom. Went through stacks of paperwork, seeing what needs to be taken care of. Had papers notarized with her. Her husband died last month and was in another state in a nursing home, and his daughter took the life ins policy money and all his accts. Frustrating to no end. Figuring out what she needs for social security and his pension. Took her to Walgreens and restocked her meds. Took her out to lunch and then grocery shopping. Put away her groceries and then took her to my cousins for supper. We have a full agenda with her tomorrow to get some stuff done before the three day holiday weekend, and then we go back home. I think we wore her out

Thanks Clem, you are correct. I forget to translate sometimes.

The coldest I have personally experienced was -53c (-63f) with a windchill equivilant of -110c (-166F) , that was weather too cold to do anything in. Even with all the layers d**n near froze to death. That was in Northern Alberta where seasonal temperatures were typically -40 (C and F) Some years at Halloween Mom made us wear winter coats under our costumes.

Where we live now it seldom gets below -30C (-22F) which is quite reasonable.

I have experienced -50 F. -200 wind chill. The only vehicles that will start are the ones from heated garages.

Spent last night (this morning to you day folks) ordering AR parts and tools. Spent another $550 or so but I only have thee more items to go. Finished purchasing the lower receiver from a local gun shop (mom & pop store). They did not have one in stock but I can wait for it to arrive. I have parts and tools coming from all over USA and from I don't know how many different vendors. Next week I will order the upper receiver and bolt carrier group (left hand / dual charging) and the scope and a one piece scope mount. The scope (8 x 32 x 50) is a cheap one but I could not pass up testing it out. Once these arrive, then the actual build will start. I will probably end up with a red dot type for the rifle but for dialing in (accuracy testing), I wanted something that would let me see all the bullet impacts. Well that was it for the day. Wife picked up her new phone and we went out for hamburgers (she loves hamburgers). That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Brrrr. That would even make me cold.

I once responded to a traffic accident on a night where we hit -24f with wind chills bringing it down to a perceived -50f. Once we got the victims medical attention it took some time for the tow trucks to arrive and get the wreckage off the road. My partner and I had to take turns doing traffic control, 3-4 minutes out in the cold then 3-4 minutes in the car. It was miserably cold. My partner ended up getting some minor frost bite on his finger tips. The same night we found a man dead on the side of the road. He had been drinking, tried to drive home, ran out of gas and decided to just sleep it off. This predated cell phones being common.

You cops really deal with some bad stuff. I always said yall never get a call for something good, it is always some kind of chaos going on. My Uncle worked Homicide for years before he became Chief of Atlanta. He is a very good man if still alive about 90 now. Mama really loved her brother too. He use to joke about mamas husbands dying. One jumped out of a plane over germany and his parachunt didn't open, the other one was killed in a car wreck a week before wedding, and mamas neck was broken . Guess it is good number 3 our father left us. :thumbs up::D

Spent last night (this morning to you day folks) ordering AR parts and tools. Spent another $550 or so but I only have thee more items to go. Finished purchasing the lower receiver from a local gun shop (mom & pop store). They did not have one in stock but I can wait for it to arrive. I have parts and tools coming from all over USA and from I don't know how many different vendors. Next week I will order the upper receiver and bolt carrier group (left hand / dual charging) and the scope and a one piece scope mount. The scope (8 x 32 x 50) is a cheap one but I could not pass up testing it out. Once these arrive, then the actual build will start. I will probably end up with a red dot type for the rifle but for dialing in (accuracy testing), I wanted something that would let me see all the bullet impacts. Well that was it for the day. Wife picked up her new phone and we went out for hamburgers (she loves hamburgers). That is my story and I am sticking to it.

TMT ,Sounds like you and the wife had a good day.:green man:

TMT ,Sounds like you and the wife had a good day.:green man:

That we did Meerkat. She felt bad because she was spending a bunch of money to make jewelry (starting a jewelry business next year) and I kept postponing my AR build. We finally got enough saved to do both, so now everybody is happy. Going to be a fun 2018.

While I was at work battling the flu epidemic, my hubby was home having our Christmas present to each other installed. Here's the original - leaky faucet and all:

old.jpg

And here is the new one! Big enough to hold my canners, baking pans, and even the cat if I were to be crazy enough to try to bathe him!
new.jpg

While I was at work battling the flu epidemic, my hubby was home having our Christmas present to each other installed. Here's the original - leaky faucet and all:

View attachment 1546

And here is the new one! Big enough to hold my canners, baking pans, and even the cat if I were to be crazy enough to try to bathe him!
View attachment 1547
I don't think that's anywhere near big enough to wash a cat. A 200 gallon stock tank isn't big enough. Unless you have that rare animal that likes the water.

View attachment 1546

View attachment 1547

Very Nice, quite an upgrade. I did try to bath my cat ONCE, I have the scars to prove it. I can't remember why I was trying to bathe the cat but I am sure there was a very good reason for wanting to commit suicide.

Hello everyone and hope you have had a fantastic day and you are all keeping warm over there :) .

Started off the morning with DH watering half of the driveway lawns with saved grey water from our showers and washing machine and I deep cleaned the bathroom and toilet and then DH came in and swept all the floors for the week. I stripped the bed and changed my lounge cover with a fresh one.

We then did quite a bit in the vegetable gardens for preparation work and we picked 800g of cherry tomatoes from the gardens and the rest I have put in the gardening thread.

DH is making homemade pancakes for dinner tonight and we will have this with fresh cream and or butter and homemade strawberry jam yum, yum :D .

Last edited:
It's 0507 so I've not done anything yet. Going to Savannah this morning. Go by Lowe's and get some stuff. Go to pharmacy and get some stuff. Go to ER and have my forearm x-rayed. My wife thinks I broke it, but I think it may be fractured or tendon pulled loose. :(:dunno: I gotta get it checked out anyway.
Whatever y'all do, have a blessed day!

Ouch @gumpy let us know what the results are after the x-ray either way it would be painful. It is 9.17pm at night here in Australia.
Your day is about done when mine is starting! That's cool. You have the first watch and I'll take the second one.

Hope your arm's all right, Gumpy. That'd be a pain if it was broken.
I'm up and sipping coffee. All the family is meeting early this morning in town to surprise a cousin at work for his 50th birthday. Even his mom, who is Amish hired a van driver to pile everyone in. There's supposed to be a speech by the bank president where he works. He has no idea so this should be funny.
Then getting mom while we're in town. We have a luncheon to go to near our place so bringing mom, too.

My day is done and on the MTR heading home.
My highlight was the beef carpaccio girl today.
Vegetarian...ordered the beef carpaccio...
Didnt want the beef...she only wanted the carpaccio...

So I sent her out a $15 salad...

Some days I swear I could write a book of just the idiot requests and comment's...and retire a millionaire.

Keep telling myself 8 months, 8 months 8 months.

@Justin76 you know when you have suffered burnout in being in retail when you say what you actually think to the customers faces or laugh out loud at them. Yes been there and done that. I design homewares and sell them on the internet and get emails saying they want something made slightly longer than their arm :rolleyes: or just a tad bigger than the one I have listed. What the heck happened to a tape measure and learning to use one to give someone an accurate measurement ?.

Or seafood curry without the seafood?

Order a well done tenderloin then complain its dry and tasteless.

Agree 100% burned out,

If you are interested, I am willing to dress up like a bus boy and gently backhand anyone who orders anything well done. :D

Back