What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone :) .

Thought I would update what we did yesterday which was stain remove some clothing for 2 loads of washing, put them on, hang on clothes line and bring in. We both took turns in hand watering one side of house and half of the back house paddock lawn with saved grey water.

Moved onto dog proofing some of the back paddock fence as 2 dogs from 2 properties over have been digging under the fence and DH found that they had our poor cat bailed up the night before in the back yard but she had that look on her face that she was about to rip into one of the dogs, she defends her territory viciously from everything. We discussed it with our neighbour and used two heavy posts he was not using in his back yard and used tie wire to wire them to the bottom of the fence for some weight to stop them getting under the fence. It doesn't look pretty but it has worked and the dogs haven't been over since.

Back inside where DH cleaned the kitchen benches and washed the dishes and I put them away and we also cleared the clutter from the kitchen table and wiped that over as well and I swept the floors in the kitchen and laundry area. We both took in the dry washing from the clothes line and folded up 3 loads of laundry and put it away.

DH and I then had a discussion about what we needed to buy or replace for the home as our savings for this year far outweighed our expectations. Up until now due to members of my family's money grabbing that left us fairly much destitute in 2014 (won't go into it) we have up until now been not replacing anything unless it was an emergency or had break down apart from machinery needed to live in the country. We decided that since our sheets had fairly much had it to buy 5 sets of Egyptian cotton sheets, a few years of tea towels for the kitchen and a few years worth of underwear for me as well.

We had our showers and went to bed but obviously I was fighting something off as I spent half the night shivering uncontrollably for half the night under 3 blankets with a high temperature in the middle of summer. What ever it was I am feeling fine this morning albeit a bit drained and have no temperature at all. It is common for my body to react like this to any bugs and usually I am alright by the next morning so I must have a pretty good immune system I think.

It wouldn't surprise me. Years ago when I first started having bad arthritis trouble, I was on meds for side effects, then meds for those side effects. I got mad and quit all but the original medication and felt a whole lot better!

I was at a County fair in Truth or Consequences, NM a few years back and there was a booth for a medicine for the side effects of other medicines. I thought it was kind of funny and then I read the brochure for the side effects of the medicine for side effects. I started laughing and trying to explain it to the fellow in the booth, but he got mad and told me to leave. LOL

kowloon-city.jpg
Since the restaurant is slower than molasses in the artic right now I am using my Executive Chef privilege and taking the night off!
Going to Kowloon City for some Indian food with my son and wife. Cheap beer, good spicy curry on a cold (60F) evening, going to pay for it tomorrow though....

Round 1 of today which we haven't done a lot is DH stain removed some clothing and put on another load of washing in the washing machine and I hand watered another 1/3rd of the back house paddock lawns with saved grey water from our showers and washing machine. Then turned on the electric hot water system to heat for 3.5hrs and turned it off and DH and I just had lunch being a chicken and mayo sandwich with the last of the leftover chicken from buying our Boxing roast chicken on special. Just gave the kitchen, laundry and toilet floors a sweep and it looks much better and not so crunchy under foot.

DH is now having a nap as no doubt I kept him awake with my shivering last night and I will wake him shortly.

Do you have an extra room for a couple months out of the year? Hell with that kinda of weather could we just pitch a tent in your backyard? We will work hard!

Forget a tent, I've got a small used to be and will be again 2 bed 1 bath that needs to be finished. Come on down! You may need to build some bathroom walls, it's just a big ol room with a toilet in it right now, no privacy at all. Come to think of it, it could use some cabinets, and flooring, and electrical..... how about y'all come stay the rest of the winter?:devil: Did I mention it has a toilet? And a wood stove and lots of stacked wood.:thumbs up: Oh, and it needs a bit of plumbing, the only water we have in the house right now is for the toilet. Everything else has to be brought in from the outside faucet.

Last edited:
I prefer cold to hot. You can always put on more layers if it’s cold but there are limits to how many layers you can take off if it’s too hot. The downside to cold is that every bone I have broken and joint I have destroyed complain when they get cold. It’s not bad this morning -15 and light snow
-15 is not bad? You're crazier than a June Bug! Lol

My goodness Camo I didn't know you were sick. So sorry hope your better and beat this thing. I totally agree with you on the meds thing.
I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Get hubby to say an extra prayer with me for you tonight. :heart:
"Where two or more are gathered...."

Round 2 for today is that we cleared a 7 x 2mt vegetable garden bed and chipped out and dug out a cement surround going half way around it and through the centre. We think it used to be a chicken run at one time but it is getting in the way of us rototilling the garden bed. We put all the plants and weeds in the wheelbarrow and will run over them with the mulching ride on to pulverise it and then trench compost it.

DH then brought in the last load of washing for the week. Tonight's tea was smoked oysters and sour cream on crackers as neither one of us felt like cooking.

dsc_0103-jpg.1506
Nothin better than a happy kid
Pigging out on his favorite food!
That boy has been coming here s
When my wife was pregnant and his first real visit was when when he was 10 days old!
The local Chinese were tut tutting my wife for having such a little baby outside...she said " mind your own business...lm eating! "

You can always tell an Indian restaurant is good when at 8pm there is a line of Indians outside the door waiting for a seat.

Attachments

• DSC_0103.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 112
I prefer cold to hot. You can always put on more layers if it’s cold but there are limits to how many layers you can take off if it’s too hot. The downside to cold is that every bone I have broken and joint I have destroyed complain when they get cold. It’s not bad this morning -15 and light snow

Bugout Bob is from western Canada. He may be talking temperatures in celsius. -15 C is only 5F; not all that cold. It is the best outdoor temperature for X country skiing, taking walks, cutting wood, shovelling snow/poop, making snow men, skating and just plain sitting on some deadfall out in the bush drinking hot chocolate. I don't consider it cold until we get between -30/-40C (-22/-40F) It is easy to dress for cold and take off layers but as 'Bob' said, not so easy to cool down when the thermometer spikes the other direction. As my dear old grampy used to say, if you are cold, you ain't busy enough. Yeh, that sounded snarky (not meant to be), and we didn't much like it when grumpy grampy said it either 'cause it meant bad things for us kids.

It is 7 degrees this morning, supposed to heat up to 10! It's like a heatwave! It's so nice my youngest boy and I are going to go the park this morning to play on the snow covered playground equipment. Then we have some running around to do before coming home to shoot some Nerf Guns in our Nerf Range (that we just built) and have some lunch. Not sure what we will be doing after lunch yet.

My ladies are all out of the house today, traveling to where the malls and outlet stores are so they can start spending the cash and gift cards they received from Christmas. They all got pedicures together before Christmas so I believe they are all going to get manicures today. My two youngest are getting their ears pierced as well, another Christmas gift. I am sure we won't see them until dinner time.

Bugout Bob is from western Canada. He may be talking temperatures in celsius. -15 C is only 5F; not all that cold. .
Thanks Clem, you are correct. I forget to translate sometimes.

The coldest I have personally experienced was -53c (-63f) with a windchill equivilant of -110c (-166F) , that was weather too cold to do anything in. Even with all the layers d**n near froze to death. That was in Northern Alberta where seasonal temperatures were typically -40 (C and F) Some years at Halloween Mom made us wear winter coats under our costumes.

Where we live now it seldom gets below -30C (-22F) which is quite reasonable.

Hello everyone :) .

Thought I would update what we did yesterday which was stain remove some clothing for 2 loads of washing, put them on, hang on clothes line and bring in. We both took turns in hand watering one side of house and half of the back house paddock lawn with saved grey water.

Moved onto dog proofing some of the back paddock fence as 2 dogs from 2 properties over have been digging under the fence and DH found that they had our poor cat bailed up the night before in the back yard but she had that look on her face that she was about to rip into one of the dogs, she defends her territory viciously from everything. We discussed it with our neighbour and used two heavy posts he was not using in his back yard and used tie wire to wire them to the bottom of the fence for some weight to stop them getting under the fence. It doesn't look pretty but it has worked and the dogs haven't been over since.

Back inside where DH cleaned the kitchen benches and washed the dishes and I put them away and we also cleared the clutter from the kitchen table and wiped that over as well and I swept the floors in the kitchen and laundry area. We both took in the dry washing from the clothes line and folded up 3 loads of laundry and put it away.

DH and I then had a discussion about what we needed to buy or replace for the home as our savings for this year far outweighed our expectations. Up until now due to members of my family's money grabbing that left us fairly much destitute in 2014 (won't go into it) we have up until now been not replacing anything unless it was an emergency or had break down apart from machinery needed to live in the country. We decided that since our sheets had fairly much had it to buy 5 sets of Egyptian cotton sheets, a few years of tea towels for the kitchen and a few years worth of underwear for me as well.

We had our showers and went to bed but obviously I was fighting something off as I spent half the night shivering uncontrollably for half the night under 3 blankets with a high temperature in the middle of summer. What ever it was I am feeling fine this morning albeit a bit drained and have no temperature at all. It is common for my body to react like this to any bugs and usually I am alright by the next morning so I must have a pretty good immune system I think.

Glad you got the dog problem solved. Getting caught up is hard to do. We are doing that now too. Ofcourse we will never get really " caught up " it is just the way it is.

Round 1 of today which we haven't done a lot is DH stain removed some clothing and put on another load of washing in the washing machine and I hand watered another 1/3rd of the back house paddock lawns with saved grey water from our showers and washing machine. Then turned on the electric hot water system to heat for 3.5hrs and turned it off and DH and I just had lunch being a chicken and mayo sandwich with the last of the leftover chicken from buying our Boxing roast chicken on special. Just gave the kitchen, laundry and toilet floors a sweep and it looks much better and not so crunchy under foot.

DH is now having a nap as no doubt I kept him awake with my shivering last night and I will wake him shortly.

Hope your better today. Like us too much work to be sick. :fun fun:.

Happy days! My garage/shop is up!
Now it is up to me to insulate it and get everything in there the way I want it. Much work ahead for me. I'll call the garage a prep item.

Doesn't it feel good to get the job done? :woo hoo:

View attachment 1468 Since the restaurant is slower than molasses in the artic right now I am using my Executive Chef privilege and taking the night off!
Going to Kowloon City for some Indian food with my son and wife. Cheap beer, good spicy curry on a cold (60F) evening, going to pay for it tomorrow though....

Have fun, nice pic btw. :thumbs up:

The coldest I have personally experienced was -53c (-63f) with a windchill equivilant of -110c (-166F) , that was weather too cold to do anything in. Even with all the layers d**n near froze to death. That was in Northern Alberta where seasonal temperatures were typically -40 (C and F) Some years at Halloween Mom made us wear winter coats under our costumes.

My goodness BOB, us southerners would not make it through your spring much less winter.

Brrrr. That would even make me cold.

I once responded to a traffic accident on a night where we hit -24f with wind chills bringing it down to a perceived -50f. Once we got the victims medical attention it took some time for the tow trucks to arrive and get the wreckage off the road. My partner and I had to take turns doing traffic control, 3-4 minutes out in the cold then 3-4 minutes in the car. It was miserably cold. My partner ended up getting some minor frost bite on his finger tips. The same night we found a man dead on the side of the road. He had been drinking, tried to drive home, ran out of gas and decided to just sleep it off. This predated cell phones being common.

Hubby is about to take off lid he made fixing fuel pump in our van.:eyeballs:. Go back in and find fuel leak.:eek:. It is always something and it comes in droves it seems. He is still sick from pnemonia but alot better.
It scares me for him to work around gas plus hurting himself with all that metal in his back and cages in his spine. Bending is the worse.
Some lines are real close to floor.

Back in the 70's before global warming got going, the coldest I can recall was around -51C/60F in the B.C. Interior. We didn't bother with windchill vectors; if it was that cold, whatever was exposed froze solid and your snot didn't get a chance to get out the end of your nose. We lived in a clap board shack with no insulation. We spent the winter in a dog pile, including dogs and dad's beer, under all the blankets we owned on a mattress next to the stove. Even around 1980 in Calgary, it was regularly -40 C/F and I made all the kids halloween costumes to go over snow suits.

Back in the 70's before global warming got going, the coldest I can recall was around -51C/60F in the B.C. Interior. We didn't bother with windchill vectors; if it was that cold, whatever was exposed froze solid and your snot didn't get a chance to get out the end of your nose. We lived in a clap board shack with no insulation. We spent the winter in a dog pile, including dogs and dad's beer, under all the blankets we owned on a mattress next to the stove. Even around 1980 in Calgary, it was regularly -40 C/F and I made all the kids halloween costumes to go over snow suits.
That's when we were fixing to start a new ice age.

Latest posts

Back