What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,
Check these out. Circulates ice chilled water around your knee. Just gotta keep the ice bucket loaded.

https://www.amazon.com/Aircast-Therapy-Machine-Cooler-Solution/dp/B075FF137V/ref=sr_1_10?crid=I3O6FE0092HM&keywords=knee+chiller+ice+therapy+machine&qid=1574471442&sprefix=knee+chiller,aps,169&sr=8-10

THere are different models, some kinda pricey. A guy I work with got one and used it after knee surgery and raved about it. His wasn't a replacement, but the principal would be the same.

Yes sir it it nice. Used it in hospital , they sent it home with me.
Frozen water bottle works best.

Thanks anyway BP.

IMG_20191123_104116353_BURST000_COVER_TOP-1244x1647.jpg

Last night and today has been very painful.
Home care nurse is on her way to check me.

They say day 2 and 3 is the worst...I believe it is.

Later....bout to pass out.

Jim

I tried messaging IK to check on him and it said "couldn't be found." I will post it here just in case as it will recognize the name here????? Hope he didn't leave the forum.
@The Innkeeper
Hi there IK.
I asked about you the other day and Sentry said you had been on the forum that morning. Haven't heard from you since the accident. I hope you are well and just taking a rest in order to recover. Just wanted to let you know you are missed.
Have a blessed Thanksgiving,

* That's one of the buggers about online, can't just stop by and check on a person.

His account is still active. Now says his last visit was Tuesday at 8:32pm. Now sure why it's not sending your message though.

After ordering groceries, making the kids breakfast, doing some laundry, and taking our baby boy in for a hair cut, my ravishing wife left for the massage therapist for her bi-monthly rejuvenating session. But before she left she made sure to hand out chore lists. So I spent the last hour cleaning out the refrigerator, taking out the trash, doing dishes, and wiping down cupboards. Plus of course keeping the kids focused on their lists as well.

I was going to go shooting this afternoon as the kids are all going to a high school play. But I am sure I will just end up with a new task list after lunch as my wife is a bit of a slave driver when company is coming. ;)

I tried messaging IK to check on him and it said "couldn't be found." I will post it here just in case as it will recognize the name here????? Hope he didn't leave the forum.
@The Innkeeper
Hi there IK.
I asked about you the other day and Sentry said you had been on the forum that morning. Haven't heard from you since the accident. I hope you are well and just taking a rest in order to recover. Just wanted to let you know you are missed.
Have a blessed Thanksgiving,

* That's one of the buggers about online, can't just stop by and check on a person.

I didn't have any trouble sending him a message so I copied your message and let him know you had been asking about him.

Started crocheting a new blanket for myself.
I hardly ever keep anything I make almost always give it away.
So after doing all those blankets up for other people.
While I am regrouping from surgery.
I will crochet for me for a change.
Potatoes in the dehydrator has been a bust a couple of times in the last few days.
So have been kicked backed reading forums

I got a lot done today… this morning was organizing and doing laundry for both households. I prepped about 20 used 2oz tincture bottles and few 1oz bottles… Stripping off the old labels/glue, scalded inside and out, got them soaking in vinegar at the moment. They’ll get one more washing tomorrow then they will be ready for new tinctures and new labels.

I set the final height for the new front door threshold and got it caulked with silicone. It needs a little more touch up tomorrow and it’s good to go for winter. I still have to seal the edge of the laminate flooring next to that threshold. The backdoor needs new caulk also. I prepped everything today that’ll get caulk tomorrow.

I got the paneling nailed back up in the bedroom from the burst pipe. I mopped the floor with TSP (trisodium phosphate) to prevent mold, got it rinsed and dried. Got all the bedroom carpet back down and all the baseboards nailed in place… I have all the furniture positioned except my small office desk, it’s in my herb room and I didn’t have anyone to help me move it.

I really hope there are no more floods… I’m sure I’m as tired of pulling that carpet up and putting it back down as you folks are reading about it!

Watched some college football today also, 3rd game on now, it’s a blowout… Maybe one of the late games will be a barn burner!

Wife and I have been looking for a new mattress for over a year. Our current one is 15+ yo and not been in good shape for a few years now. But it's gotten to the point we aren't resting well. We went today and bought a new one. Suppose to be delivered and the old one took away mid Dec. We are looking forward to getting it in here.

Cold and foggy all day today. I stayed in where it's warm. It was nice to be home for a day. Got a few things done and a little more organized but mostly low key. Just those things you feel better about having done.
@MoBookworm1957 glad grandbaby is feeling better. I don't like seeing sick babies - don't care who's they are. Babies are supposed to be healthy.
@Peanut sounds like things are beginning to calm down a bit for you. Hopefully the worst is all behind you now - on all accounts.
@Bacpacker You'll be surprised at how much better you sleep. The sad part is they make mattresses like everything else- to be disposed of within a few years so you'll have to buy a new one. That irks me. Good you got 15 out of the current one.
@snappy1 turkeys out of sugar??? o_O
@Sewingcreations15 Hope president gets to feeling better. Sounds like he needs some R and R.
@Amish Heart Poor dear - hope she just says how nice it is to have her laundry done. And maybe she'll tell you she "found" her book :). You're not being thanked, but it's good of you to see that she is cared for. Capacity declining can be a challenge.

Local family I do Christmas wishes stopped by yesterday afternoon.
They finished paying me for last year's Christmas wishes with 12 pounds of pulled pork, 5 pounds of drumsticks, 6 pounds of pork sausage.
6 pounds of frozen blueberries, 5 more pounds of potatoes, 6 pounds of carrots, 10 elephant cloves of garlic.
They must have picked up their meat from the meat locker.
This years Christmas wishes are easier than last years thankfully.
They just need 9( 18x18 inches) doll quilts, 9 rag dolls,4 shirts.
Like Amish Heart they are raising their grand children.
So money is always tight for them.
So have divided everything up into meal size potions for me this morning.
Kitchen is cleaned up, resting.
Later will prep carrots for dehydrator.
Drum sticks are baking in the oven now, well at 6 are, the rest are in food saver bags in the freezer.
One day in the near future, will have 3 of the older girls help me make cookies.
Will send at least half of everything back home with them.
Already started on their family Christmas basket for helping me out with giving me something to do.
Otherwise they won't accept charity. And yes, the grand parents are veterans.
Who just need a helping hand sometimes.
I think I'll take Strawberry outside to take care of business.
After chicken comes out of oven, take a nap.

Day 4 has snuck upon me..I was about ready to undo this surgery , until today.

Guess I forgot the first 3 days from the other one. Pain was horrific , but has now settled down some.

I think I'm just gonna do a lot of sleeping.

I did eat some pot roast and white beans for lunch, even without an appetite.

Every day now should see progress.

Jim

Jim glad you're feeling better today- and hoping each next day is better yet.
Spike - for how long? I hope Californiaism isn't contagious.
Mo That's a lot of food. Nice! Also nice that you are doing for each other.
I'm being very bad today. A loaf of bread is in the oven, cinnamon rolls rising, spuds boiling for potato flatbread, and butter coming to room temperature for buttercream mints (yep, all homemade.). Oh and citrus spiced honey butter for added yumminess. That should be enough carbs to last us to the end of the year :)
I worked it off though really - this morning I got all the wood furniture conditioned, finished laundry, and did floors.

Yum, LL. Sounds good. Granddaughters just made "unicorn cupcakes". Little granddaughter brought a unicorn cookbook with her. They are colorful, and we'll have them for dessert tonight. One of the other grandsons (their half brother) is on his way to "hang out cuz he's board". He is 14 and lives with his other grandparents.
Sorry about that bad pain, Jim. That must be driving you nuts. Sleeping it off sounds like an idea.
Sounds like you have a good barter going on, Mo. Meat for handcrafts. I love bartering, and do it whenever I can. Seems like everyone is tight on money these days.
Emptied the big dehydrator of pumpkin, and ready to fill it again. Took the 26 lb turkey out of the freezer to thaw. Butchered him a few months ago. Just left him in the garage, since it's 40 degrees in there anyway. Selling 2 turkeys, at about 18 lbs each to our son's boss. They love to barter, too, but with plants. We don't need any plants since we'll be moving, so that needed to be cash. Little granddaughter is settling in, and I'm sure the week will go fast for her. Taking her clothes shopping tomorrow, and we'll leave the clothes here for when she comes back. She is not being dressed very appropriately. I really dislike yoga pants as outerwear, and especially for young girls. That's pretty much all she has. Those printed ones. Will be looking for some blue jeans, some real pants.

Jim glad you're feeling better today- and hoping each next day is better yet.
Spike - for how long? I hope Californiaism isn't contagious.
Mo That's a lot of food. Nice! Also nice that you are doing for each other.
I'm being very bad today. A loaf of bread is in the oven, cinnamon rolls rising, spuds boiling for potato flatbread, and butter coming to room temperature for buttercream mints (yep, all homemade.). Oh and citrus spiced honey butter for added yumminess. That should be enough carbs to last us to the end of the year :)
I worked it off though really - this morning I got all the wood furniture conditioned, finished laundry, and did floors.
I take payments throughout the year.
Never accept cash always goods.
Like the fruit and vegetables are out of their garden.
Meat from their animals.
Last year Christmas wishes were more for necessity.
They came to their grandparents with clothes on their backs nothing else.
Like 6 little boy shirts, 4 little girl dresses, along with jackets .
10 pairs of pajama's, robes.
I also do their mending. Made quilts for all the children last year.
Made food basket too.
Made sure everybody got a treat too.
Something store bought.
They were short on items last year to keep the kids fed, so I gift most of it back in form or another.
Like if I made pot pies for me in tart size pans, then I made 4- 9 inch pie plate sizes for them.
If I made soup they got a share too.
Not going to see kids go hungry on my watch. Not if I can help it.
I work behind the scenes a lot.
My home posts have adopted the family for Christmas this year.
So they will get gently used, new coats,hats,gloves,toys.
I just coordinate everything.

Not a lot done today, my get up and go done got up and went! I finished all the caulking for the fall. I cleaned up 30 or so used tincture bottles, another 20 or so to go, got them soaking in acetone to remove the labels. I need to order some new 2oz bottles and a few dozen new droppers.

Hopefully tomorrow will be quiet was well.

Bottles (2)aa.jpg

Good morning fellow homesteaders...
Another day toward the healing.
Seems I can move a little bit more without screaming in pain.
Bending and stretching is coming a little easier.

Walking is improving , putting full body weight on the new knee.

Woke up about 3 am soaked in sweat...never did that before.

Had some breakfast, even with no appetite.
Rehab is coming out at 10 an.
Hope to get a shower today.

I'm cruising, but still sleeping a lot.
The pain meds keep me loopy.

Slow but sure progress.
Wish I felt up to getting the new robo vac running. It's just sitting there .

Jim

Moving slow this morning. That 5 1/2 hour drive back home took a lot out of me last night. We stopped at a Harbor Freight store and I picked up some little trinket Christmas presents for my brothers and my Pops. So it was almost 11 by the time I got home. Today, I'm just lounging at the coffee shop before heading up to the gym. I don't even know what I'm going to do after that...maybe a nap?

Well, my wife gets flustrated easily.

Now my middle daughter,SIL and 2 gks are going to have dinner at my house for Thanksgiving day, because I can't travel yet.

So the wife is preparing some things, the homecare rehab people are coming today, VA office is calling about paperwork.

Yep she is getting flustered.

Roll with the flow ,

No worries.

Have a piece of pecan pie.
:doghouse:

Jim

Good morning fellow homesteaders...
Another day toward the healing.
Seems I can move a little bit more without screaming in pain.
Bending and stretching is coming a little easier.

Walking is improving , putting full body weight on the new knee.

Woke up about 3 am soaked in sweat...never did that before.

Had some breakfast, even with no appetite.
Rehab is coming out at 10 an.
Hope to get a shower today.

I'm cruising, but still sleeping a lot.
The pain meds keep me loopy.

Slow but sure progress.
Wish I felt up to getting the new robo vac running. It's just sitting there .

Jim
A slow loopy Jim is better than no Jim at all. Take it easy and help yourself heal. Maybe the fever got "it" out of you and now you can heal quickly.
Tell Mrs. if it makes her feel better, one year we had a house full of company Thanksgiving Day & the well pump went out (no washing dishes, flushing etc.) We sourced an new one and had it installed before the turkey came out of the oven. Whatever happens, it's the folks who care and are there who are important, the rest is frosting.

Finishing morning chores, then I'll be bringing granddaughter to do some clothes shopping. Don't know why foster mom packed shorts for her, the shorts I bought her when she was here in August. It's freezing outside. Shorts, yoga pants and lots of light jackets (4 of them). And dress up princess dresses...
Foster parent is a Californian right? (shouldn't need much more explaining than that) :LOL: Have fun shopping for real clothes.

Had my baking buddy this morning .
Wasn't expecting her today.
So we baked pumpkin bread again.
She stuck both sock feet into Strawberry's water bowl.
She got almost complete wardrobe change this morning.
Strawberry's water bowl got scrubbed from having stinky feet in them.
Anyway that what I told her, she had stinky feet.
She just giggled at her Granny.
She's learning a new nursery rhyme song, she does pretty good with it so far.
"Are you sleeping Brother John" only in French.
Granny's having late lunch.
Don't know what they're going to do when Granny won't be able to watch her.
Oh, well Granny will be able to see her.
She won't be able to stay with Granny long.
Glad you're doing better everyday Jim.
Amish Heart have fun shopping with youngest grand daughter.

Managed the shopping. We bought three pairs of jeans, didn't try them on, and only have one pair to take back. Also bought her some warm Pj's and long sleeved shirts. Foster kids, especially girls, look and dress the same around here. Overweight, and wearing yoga pants. The yoga pants are because other slacks don't fit in the length if they fit in the waist. So 8 yr old granddaughter fits in a sized 14 jean, with 7 1/2 " taken off the length. The twins were the same, years back. She picked out a beautiful Christmas dress with matching golden shoes. She's happy. I have hemming to do.

Latest posts

Back