What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday was mostly Church, serving dinner at Church, eating, and cleaning up. Once home, I set up my vities for the next month watched a couple of movies with DH.

Today, went to doc for flu shot but insurance won't pay so I didn't get it (probably just as well). $36! Insurance will pay to treat me if I get the flu. Same way with weight--they won't pay to help lose it but will pay for resulting conditions of overweight--diabetes and high BP. Cultivating customers, not curing anything.
Came home and did my walk. Going to start dog food in the roaster when I am done here so it can cook overnight and I will pressure can it in the morning.

I mopped my floors this morning, family came up to tend to mom and dad's food, laundry, cleaning etc. Lite grocery shopping in town, got fruit, berries for the folks, keep their diet varied...

Home in time for the physical therapist to work over the folks...

For the first time I bought speakers for a pc the other night. In ’94 I bought a Bose Acoustic Wave system, took computer music files to a new level. It died last year… Anyway, finished getting my new canon printer/scanner all set up. The speakers came today. With my hearing issues I don’t know how good it sounds but it meets my only requirement… I can hear it! :D

Oh, if anyone knows of a fabric that’ll go with the area rug, post a link… I need to have a slip cover made for a big ugly chair out of the photo. ;)

Speakers 01 (2)bbb.jpg

Last edited:
Good, y'all are all staying busy enough for me too.

I'm not doing anything.

I get up and slowly walk thru the house , using the Walker.
Starting to put less weight on the walker, and more on the knee.

I did over do it though , when I thought I could take a full blown shower..whoa..too much, almost got in trouble there...just not enough strength.

I'll give it a few more days with just sponge baths.

I'm not a patient person....but got no choice.

Maybe I'll get my dumb SIL, to get the Robo Vac running.....maybe not.

Can't get interested in "The Voice".

May go to bed early.

Feeling better though.. anesthesia must be wearing off.

Jim

Finishing morning chores, then I'll be bringing granddaughter to do some clothes shopping. Don't know why foster mom packed shorts for her, the shorts I bought her when she was here in August. It's freezing outside. Shorts, yoga pants and lots of light jackets (4 of them). And dress up princess dresses...

She did come from California. I hear that they do wired things out there .....

Got the kid an apt with a "grown up" endocrinologist. Her pediatric one will only see kids until just after they turn 18. The new place shocked me, I called today and they said they could see her Wednesday. I figured it was available because it was the day before thanksgiving. Well with the predicted weather and family coming I can't do Wed so they scheduled us for Monday. We weren't expecting to get in until after New Years!

Busy couple of days here and yesterday went to DH's physiotherapy appointment and then to another large town for his psychiatrists appointment. She has confirmed DH definitely does have PTSD and depression as well so we are working on that. She is going to give DH a report so he can claim both conditions as service related. While we were there we picked up our grocery order and brought it home and put cold items in the fridge and the rest is still sitting on the floor in bags and picked up a new pair of shoes as a backup for DH when his current shoes wear out.

I did get a load of washing done last night and hung it on the clothes line to dry.

Today was another day out in the same large town as yesterday where we went to see an orthopedic surgeon to get an opinion on his back. He had the x-rays but wants a full MRI of his back to get the full picture of his injuries and he has made an appointment for that on the 6th of December which is the earliest they can fit him in and the surgeon says he doesn't have scoliosis but instead bad shoulder injuries and we shall investigate that further. Whilst out we topped up 6 jerry cans of fuel and picked up 6 x 5 shelf food storage shelving units and also yesterday bought a leaf catcher for the rain water tank as the other one had disintegrated. DH told me to get something I liked for Christmas so I chose some really cool rayon long pants at a good price which are a lot cooler than the jeans I am currently wearing which are getting too hot to wear. We stopped off at a carvery and got some lunch from our DVA meal allowance.

This afternoon we saw rain clouds coming over thick and heavy so we finished connecting the back patio PVC pipe and rerouting it into the collapsible rainwater tank. As soon as we did that we probably got around 3mm of rain and more water in our swimming pool :) . Just paid all the bills, an extra part smaller payment off our home mortgage, put additional money into our 3 month living expenses account and transferred money into the bills and grocery accounts and then took the clean laundry off the clothes line just before it rained.

Last day of work (and school for the kids) before having 5 days off, which is of course awesome. Thanksgiving guests have already started to arrive and disrupt my family's routine, which is both awesome and not awesome at the same time. Looks like this is going to be a wintry Thanksgiving as well. Glad I got the snow blower all tuned up and shovels dug out several weeks ago. Turkey and snow angels go together like green beans and cream of mushroom soup!

I'm back...

Thursday early morning I'm vomiting. Pain in my lower tight abdominal area. Emailed the youngest, we will not be able to drive 600 miles on Sunday to watch the the grandkids for the two weeks as planned. Plan B is Grandkids to be shuttled to the in-laws for week one.

Early Sunday morning. Unable to hid the pain from the wife. Finally listen to the wife and agreed to go to the emergency room. Gall stone.

Monday. They run a garden hose (Hospital groundkeeper said it was a new hose) down my throat, through my stomach to my small intestine where the bile duct connects. Down the hose they run a wire up the bile duct, inflate an air bag, retrieve the wire pulling the sludge and stone from the bile duct, sucking it all up with a shop vac (layman terms).

Potential blood clots are now my #1 enemy. To help prevent blood clots they have pressure cuffs on my lower legs and I'm to walk. Pushing the table out of the way allows me to sit up and power off the pressure cuffs. Taking care not to bend my right arm to prevent the IV alarm to go off, I use both hands to disconnect the air tubes to both pressure cuffs. Now I can stand up to push the table further away and give me access to the IV stand. Making sure I'm stand between the IV stand and the bed headboard I reach behind the head board to unplug the power to the IV stand. Coil the IV power cord around a thumb nut and now I can go for a walk. Repeat the procedure to get back into bed. Yes I could have 'beeped' a nurse to come and helped me but I figured they have more important work to do. They had to call security to restrain a patient and my roommate 'beeping' every hour for things like a cup for coffee at 2 AM...I can help the nursing staff my doing this myself.

Tuesday. I'm scheduled for gall bladder removal at 4 PM. I remind my Doctor I haven't eaten since Thursday and he needs to have the surgery done before the Hospital Cafeteria closes at 6 PM. He asks if I want him to rush thought the surgery? I'm out of recovery and in my roome at 6:30 PM. Nurse has a sack meal waiting for me. Best turkey sandwich I've ever eaten! God Bless Her!

I had a shock when I looked in the bathroom mirror. My dad was staring back at me! Is it possible that I'm no longer 16 years of age and invincible? I knew I was the oldest male member of our family branch but didn't really sink in till now.

Wednesday. I'm released to go home before noon. As soon as the IV is out of my arm I'm up and dressed. No lifting over 20 pounds, low fat diet and yes I can drive the 600 miles IF I stop every hour to take several walking laps around the car.

Sunday. Drive 200 miles to the son's in-laws. Transfer the grandkids car seats to our car and visit a bit before heading to town for a hotel.

Monday. 8 AM pickup the grand kids. Drive 400 miles to take them to their home and stay with them for week two until their parents return.

Tuesday - Wednesday. Spoil the grandkids. Play grounds at parks, children zoo, reading stories and playing.

Thursday. 9 PM head to the airport to pick up son and DIL.

Friday. Grand kids wake up with mom and dad home! Son and I do some electrical work on their house they are remodeling.

Saturday. Finish up the electrical work. The afternoon all go to see the movie Frozen II.

Sunday. Load up our car. After church we go out to eat lunch together and then say our goodbyes. Normally I drive until I'm tired and then check into a hotel to finish the trip the next day. We got four states to drive through. Almost out of the first State and I'm getting dozy. We stop for gas, potty break for the wife and my laps around the car. Wife bring me a 5 gallon bucket of Mountain Dew (OK maybe just a super gulp sized cup). I start sipping the Mountain Dew and before we know it we are out of State #2 and into State #3. Late at night traffic has thinned out considerably and we're making good time and I've got plenty of Mountain Dew left. State #4 is our home State and the State Capital is empty as we buzz though. I'm out of Mountain Dew but only have two hours to go! We get home at 2:30 AM on Monday.

Monday. Unloaded car and go to bed. Wake up with the bedroom light shinning in my face. Wondering if that's the wife's way of telling me it's pass time to get up? I open my eyes, it's not the bedroom lights but the sunlight that woke me, it's 10 AM.

Chicken chores and the rest of the day getting the leaves off the yards and blown into the woods. Late evening when the wife gets home we drop her car off at the mechanic (no heat). Late supper before heading to bed at 9 PM.

Tuesday. Take the rental car we used for the trip back to the rental agency. Wife drops me off at home and she heads to work. While I debating if milling out a 80% lower or a nap will take priority I type this post.

Last edited:
I'm back...

Thursday early morning I'm vomiting. Pain in my lower tight abdominal area. Emailed the youngest, we will not be able to drive 600 miles on Sunday to watch the the grandkids for the two weeks as planned. Plan B is Grandkids to be shuttled to the in-laws for week one.

Early Sunday morning. Unable to hid the pain from the wife. Finally listen to the wife and agreed to go to the emergency room. Gall stone.

Monday. They run a garden hose (Hospital groundkeeper said it was a new hose) down my throat, through my stomach to my small intestine where the bile duct connects. Down the hose they run a wire up the bile duct, inflate an air bag, retrieve the wire pulling the sludge and stone from the bile duct, sucking it all up with a shop vac (layman terms).

Potential blood clots are now my #1 enemy. To help prevent blood clots they have pressure cuffs on my lower legs and I'm to walk. Pushing the table out of the way allows me to sit up and power off the pressure cuffs. Taking care not to bend my right arm to prevent the IV alarm to go off, I use both hands to disconnect the air tubes to both pressure cuffs. Now I can stand up to push the table further away and give me access to the IV stand. Making sure I'm stand between the IV stand and the bed headboard I reach behind the head board to unplug the power to the IV stand. Coil the IV power cord around a thumb nut and now I can go for a walk. Repeat the procedure to get back into bed. Yes I could have 'beeped' a nurse to come and helped me but I figured they have more important work to do. They had to call security to restrain a patient and my roommate 'beeping' every hour for things like a cup for coffee at 2 AM...I can help the nursing staff my doing this myself.

Tuesday. I'm scheduled for gall bladder removal at 4 PM. I remind my Doctor I haven't eaten since Thursday and he needs to have the surgery done before the Hospital Cafeteria closes at 6 PM. He asks if I want him to rush thought the surgery? I'm out of recovery and in my roome at 6:30 PM. Nurse has a sack meal waiting for me. Best turkey sandwich I've ever eaten! God Bless Her!

I had a shock when I looked in the bathroom mirror. My dad was staring back at me! Is it possible that I'm no longer 16 years of age and invincible? I knew I was the oldest male member of our family branch but didn't really sink in till now.

Wednesday. I'm released to go home before noon. As soon as the IV is out of my arm I'm up and dressed. No lifting over 20 pounds, low fat diet and yes I can drive the 600 miles IF I stop every hour to take several walking laps around the car.

Sunday. Drive 200 miles to the son's in-laws. Transfer the grandkids car seats to our car and visit a bit before heading to town for a hotel.

Monday. 8 AM pickup the grand kids. Drive 400 miles to take them to their home and stay with them for week two until their parents return.

Tuesday - Wednesday. Spoil the grandkids. Play grounds at parks, children zoo, reading stories and playing.

Thursday. 9 PM head to the airport to pick up son and DIL.

Friday. Grand kids wake up with mom and dad home! Son and I do some electrical work on their house they are remodeling.

Saturday. Finish up the electrical work. The afternoon all go to see the movie Frozen II.

Sunday. Load up our car. After church we go out to eat lunch together and then say our goodbyes. Normally I drive until I'm tired and then check into a hotel to finish the trip the next day. We got four states to drive through. Almost out of the first State and I'm getting dozy. We stop for gas, potty break for the wife and my laps around the car. Wife bring me a 5 gallon bucket of Mountain Dew (OK maybe just a super gulp sized cup). I start sipping the Mountain Dew and before we know it we are out of State #2 and into State #3. Late at night traffic has thinned out considerably and we're making good time and I've got plenty of Mountain Dew left. State #4 is our home State and the State Capital is empty as we buzz though. I'm out of Mountain Dew but only have two hours to go! We get home at 2:30 AM on Monday.

Monday. Unloaded car and go to bed. Wake up with the bedroom light shinning in my face. Wondering if that's the wife's way of telling me it's pass time to get up? I open my eyes, it's not the bedroom lights but the sunlight that woke me, it's 10 AM.

Chicken chores and the rest of the day getting the leaves off the yards and blown into the woods. Late evening when the wife gets home we drop her car off at the mechanic (no heat). Late supper before heading to bed at 9 PM.

Tuesday. Take the rental car we used for the trip back to the rental agency. Wife drops me off at home and she heads to work. While I debating if milling out a 80% lower or a nap will take priority I type this post.

@The Lazy L , what's your secret to not getting bored outta your mind...

Jim

Have you ever had one of those moments during a deep sleep , where your whole body JERKS like an electrical bolt just hit you.
Wakes you up and you just lay there for a few minutes trying to figure out what just happened.

Well , it's bad enough normally,
But when you have a fresh knee replacement.....holy moly ...
It bout takes your breath away..
A n d ...I still feel it this morning

But all I all I'm continuing to improve.

I'm actually getting up and walking to bathroom all by myself...without my wife's approval.

Hey you gotta step out on your own sooner or later.

Just being able to get out of the recliner and walk around the house without help..that's great.

Gotta be ready for family on Thursday.

A week ago tomorrow.... already, geeze.

I got 2 new knees.:green man:

Jim

You've been a busy guy. Gall stone? If you didn't have someone to hide the pain from would you still be just dealing with it? I've heard this about men. Glad your wife insisted you go get it taken care of.

I was waiting on Monday to see if the pain would lessen or go away.

I didn't have any trouble sending him a message so I copied your message and let him know you had been asking about him.

I got a reply from Inn Keeper.

Thanks for checking. I am doing well, just as you said taking a bit of a break to recover. It’s been a hectic few weeks with my accident, major issues with Mrs. Innkeeper’s vehicle, fighting with insurance, searching for a replacement truck and just a ton of small stuff to get sorted out. Say hi to everyone for me. I hope to be back on in a week to ten days.

be blessed

We keep a trail camera on the back deck. I checked the pictures this morning and saw this one. The elk just try to taunt me. There were 10 here this morning that walked through our place.

View attachment 30031

We never get elk in our yard. Just lots and lots of mule deer and mexican blue jays.

Have you ever had one of those moments during a deep sleep , where your whole body JERKS like an electrical bolt just hit you.
Wakes you up and you just lay there for a few minutes trying to figure out what just happened.

Well , it's bad enough normally,
But when you have a fresh knee replacement.....holy moly ...
It bout takes your breath away..
A n d ...I still feel it this morning

But all I all I'm continuing to improve.

I'm actually getting up and walking to bathroom all by myself...without my wife's approval.

Hey you gotta step out on your own sooner or later.

Just being able to get out of the recliner and walk around the house without help..that's great.

Gotta be ready for family on Thursday.

A week ago tomorrow.... already, geeze.

I got 2 new knees.:green man:

Jim

I've done that. Last time was while I had a broken collar bone. Now, normally pain doesn't make me cry but that had me balling. It HURT! Pain killers did not help. I strongly advise you to not do that again Jim. Spare yourself the agony.

A quiet day here… Physical therapist came by and worked with the folks… Dad had a doctor’s appointment this afternoon. We had to park behind the building for the wheel chair ramp. I had a few minutes to kill, there was a small gully so I walked up it. I found several species of medicines. The first was rabbit tobacco… https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/rabbit-tobacco.6841/

Afterwards it was a trip to wally’s to fill prescriptions, then home.

rabbit tobacco.jpg

Canned up the dog food that I made last night--got 13 quarts. Next time I will use the roaster and a large slow cooker. Also did laundry, walked up to the drugstore (and did my morning walk). Then made cupcakes and sugar cookies with homemade buttercream frosting--half of it made into mocha flavor. Pretty much pooped now!

Cupcakes are for a friend who had a hip replacement Monday morning. Will take them to her tomorrow.

Working on Thanksgiving food.
Got the gluten free bread for stuffing cut up and drying out in the oven on low.
Had another call with daughter updating cooking status for tomorrow and updating my to do list. I will be making pies today: pumpkin and a cherry. We love cherry pie. I told daughter that one of our ancestor's name translated to cherry farmer. Somehow she had never heard that before so, that cinched the deal that it will be a cherry pie instead of another kind of fruit.
I told her I would read the ingredients carefully so we didn't end up with cherry filling with gluten in it. It is not good when she gets glutened. I went to the store and sure enough, one of the ingredients in cherry pie filling is gluten, but not in that term, but another term that we know to be gluten. I got canned sour cherries which I will sweeten and thicken with corn starch.

In between, I have been working on a biographical piece for my maternal grandfather for my genealogical work. I am up to 9 pages with snips of documents inserted. I will probably have that many more pages before I am done. If my family tree has more than 2000 known people and I do a biographical piece for each of them, I could be busy for a very long time. I am just focusing on my mother's family now, especially with the people I've known in my lifetime.

Latest posts

Back