What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am thinking about fixing my wood splitter, and changing the primary fuel filter on my " Jacobsen tractor" but so far it is just thinking, I did how ever bring firewood in, and was reminded of why I have a hydraulic wood splitter in the first place.

Went to work and came back home. Roads are slick the gravel road to our house treacherous. It’s heading your way @phideaux!

C1A40296-8AD3-46D4-A53B-B0069FF87ECF.jpeg

Went to work and came back home. Roads are slick the gravel road to our house treacherous. It’s heading your way @phideaux!

View attachment 58813
Amish heart shared with us in Missouri.
And we will be sharing towards Backpacker and Jim.
Then they can send it eastward.
Everybody get to share this.
Be safe, stay warm.

View attachment 58813
Yeah, our local guys is saying , buy milk and bread.
Could get nasty.

I gotta take wife to big town tomorrow for pre-op, then for surgery Wednesday.

GREAT !

JIM

It's still here, Mo...supposed to be bad all week. They are forecasting negative 9 next Saturday night. Ugh.
We drove out to the post office a couple miles away. Not many people out today. The twins thought they'd be goofy and try to ride their bikes. They lasted about 15 minutes. Husband is changing his diet again, and discussing new menus and making me mental. Attempting to talk me into going vegan and that's never going to happen. His recipes he picks are so time intensive, and list a good 10 to 15 ingredients. He had his vegan pea soup this afternoon, but we're having my choice of spaghetti tonight. I suspect this'll last a week and then on to something else.
Glad your Mrs is finally scheduled, Phideaux, and prayers it turns out well.

Dishes are done
Coffee is drunk.
Strawberry has been outside several times.
Got a pot of Navy beans going in crock pot.
Will fix cornbread later.
Cold,9*,light snow .
Feels like -4* wind 7 mph out of the N.
Crocheting a towel.
Will walk again in a bit.

Green onions with the beans and cornbread?

Lord help me ...that woman knows how to use a man's stomach.😁

Jim

@Firepolice271 removed the last of the supports for old wall before I showed up. I assisted with building the new beam "in place".

20210208_150934.jpg

We did more than what is shown above. I forgot to take a picture at the end of the day.

We could get 4" of snow overnight but we are still planning to do more construction tomorrow.

@ThePrincess and the eldest granddaughter are headed to their first in person Tae kwon do class in ages. They have been forced to do class via Zoom.

Behave

Ben

Mail comes between 2 PM and 4:30 PM. Waited until 5 PM to shovel snow the second time today and get the mail. No mail. Maybe I should start retrieving the day's mail the morning after?
Have you tried "Informed Delivery"? After you sign up, the post office will send photos of your letters to your computer each day so that you can see what is in the mail box. However, it does not show pics of packages. So far it has worked well for me.

@Firepolice271 removed the last of the supports for old wall before I showed up. I assisted with building the new beam "in place".

View attachment 58822

We did more than what is shown above. I forgot to take a picture at the end of the day.

We could get 4" of snow overnight but we are still planning to do more construction tomorrow.

@ThePrincess and the eldest granddaughter are headed to their first in person Tae kwon do class in ages. They have been forced to do class via Zoom.

Behave

Ben

The Princess is wise to take lessons and teach the girls self defrnce in this crazy world today.:thumbs:

Alos looks like your rpoject is really coming together now.

The Princess is wise to take lessons and teach the girls self defrnce in this crazy world today.:thumbs:

Alos looks like your rpoject is really coming together now.
Olivia (the elder) is taller than The Princess and(according to me son) can throw a mean punch. Olivia out ranks The Priness since she started before The Princess.

Ben

Went to the post office. Package was stuck in the box. Asked postal worker to try pushing on it to see if it would come out. No go. She had to pull it back out and bring it around to the front along with mail that was stuck behind it.
Went to Tractor Supply & got another sack of cow feed and a stall mat. They went way up in price. But I wanted it to make it easier to walk into the barn.
It was floppier than I expected. Took 2 people to load it up.
Got home, backed up to the barn. Cows were interested in seeing what was going on. Red cow circled me and kept bumping into me. I got the stall mat out myself (while ducking horns from cow trying to sniff things). Cinderblock was in the way. I went to move it and my foot slipped into the mud & got stuck. Got the block out of the way and then stall mat fell over my leg. I was trying to keep balance and get my foot free when the cow came up to nuzzle my face. It was enough of a nudge to send me falling backward into a pile of cow plop. At least it was soft. I almost landed on the cinderblock. Put my left hand down to lift myself up but put it right in some stinging nettles. Had to use my right hand (which I was trying to avoid since I've been having shoulder pain). Found the cinderblock with my hand and managed to get up. Cow still wanted cuddles so I petted her. She chased the truck back to where I unloaded the feed. Pulled out my knife and quickly cut the bag open as she was drooling on it and poking it with her horns.
Think I'm going to take some of the old hay from the rolls, load it into a wheelbarrow, get it down to the barn, cover the mud with it, and move stall mat back over the hay once it sops up enough moisture or at least makes it so the ground isn't so soft.
Saw my friend's mom at the store but was so busy I mostly grunted when she said hi and bye. I think she saw that I was busy though. Normally I'd ask how she's doing and chat a little.

Afterward went to Sams to get more water & grabbed Chinese takeout.

Got home, fed mom, and took a naproxyn because my back doesn't appreciate all the lifting I did.

Cuddling with cats now. Dog got jealous so she had to come over and lick my face. So, my face has been licked by cats, a cow, and dogs today. LOL.

It's still here, Mo...supposed to be bad all week. They are forecasting negative 9 next Saturday night. Ugh.
We drove out to the post office a couple miles away. Not many people out today. The twins thought they'd be goofy and try to ride their bikes. They lasted about 15 minutes. Husband is changing his diet again, and discussing new menus and making me mental. Attempting to talk me into going vegan and that's never going to happen. His recipes he picks are so time intensive, and list a good 10 to 15 ingredients. He had his vegan pea soup this afternoon, but we're having my choice of spaghetti tonight. I suspect this'll last a week and then on to something else.
Glad your Mrs is finally scheduled, Phideaux, and prayers it turns out well.
Amish Heart,
It's supposed to be here all week too.
We're under another Winter Weather Advisory.
Supposely just my county and few other counties.
I think it will end up state wide before it's all over.
I haven't seen anybody go up and down my street.
But my street has slight incline too.
My sister is trying to talk to me about becoming vegan.
I shut her down right quick.
I asked what size clothing was she wearing.
She's in the plus sizes.
I'm in the pull off the rack, wear it sizes.
Neb,
I finally found the manual for the knitting machine.
If your sister ever needs it.
Strawberry is sleeping finally.

Green onions with the beans and cornbread?

Lord help me ...that woman knows how to use a man's stomach.😁

Jim

I can't find any good corn meal which I'm sure Amish can where she is. I like stone ground medium but not sold in stores and one I ordred had the consistancy alomost of pudding.We use White Lily and not the same.

I don't know what kind I get here is. It's sold in a plastic bag at the bulk food store, but it looks ok. You should get some corn and run it through a mill.
Hey Mo, all the vegans I've seen are thin, but they are pale and lack strength, too. I know a vegetarian that eats too much junk food. Lots of sugar, just no meat. I would love to drop 20 lbs but not like that.

I don't know what kind I get here is. It's sold in a plastic bag at the bulk food store, but it looks ok. You should get some corn and run it through a mill.
Hey Mo, all the vegans I've seen are thin, but they are pale and lack strength, too. I know a vegetarian that eats too much junk food. Lots of sugar, just no meat. I would love to drop 20 lbs but not like that.
I was walking with my boss (a big guy ex lineman type) following a customer to the company lunch room as he mumbled about how weak he felt etc. He was a vegan.

I leaned over to whisper in the bosses ear;

"Eat some meat"

The boss chuckled.

Ben

Most grocers use to sell Perkinsons stone ground corn meal in yellow bag 'with metal tie on top' till about 30 years ago, since I've tried all kinds. Corm bread was always my favorite bread.

Have you tried "Informed Delivery"? After you sign up, the post office will send photos of your letters to your computer each day so that you can see what is in the mail box. However, it does not show pics of packages. So far it has worked well for me.

Packages I usually have USPS email when they are delivered. I get the email notification the day after I find the package.

My youngest sister and all three of her daughters are vegan.
But all four of them eat lots of junk food.
I take my weight off bit at a time.
But the difference I still get to eat meat.
I also eat lots fresh items, not much processed foods.
They eat bunch grab and go stuff.

Daughter had a lot of friends who became vegans right out of h.s. She had lots of pressure to become one as well. She tried and I tried to support her. I would buy something that I thought was vegan after reading the ingredients 3 times, and come home and find out it was not vegan. One day I was looking at the blood type diet and printed out information that I left out to look at again the next day. She read it and realized that type O blood types need animal protein. She stopped trying to be a vegan immediately and began to have more energy as well. This was before she had her celiac diagnosis, and she was eating lots of bread and pasta. It was really not good for her.

Strawberry has been outside several times.
She beat me back to the door, while I went fill up coffee cup.
Looked at the door, she was on her hind legs jumping to get my attention.
Just finished the last of the navy beans and corn bread for lunch.
Been reading the manuals on the knitting machine I was gifted.
I don't have most of the accessories.
Also not going to buy most of that stuff until I figure out if it will be useful for me.
Did rough figure to get idea of what all that stuff would cost.
I could buy new knitting machine cheaper and have everything I need.
Including warranty.
Have walked several times.
Will have to make more coffee sooner than later.
Strawberry is sprawled out on my legs snoring.
Seems the neighbors furnance is having hard time keeping her place warm.
Strawberry and I wrap up in blankets to keep warm.
I also have water dripping to keep my pipes from freezing.
I dress in layers.
You all stay warm, dry and safe.

Latest posts

Back