What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water pump only lasted about as long as it took me to post earlier. lol LIFE and move on. I can probably rig it to work swapping steel shaft in place of the rollers and weld repairing the hub but in all honesty I think it's just time for a new pump...

Had a plumber in this morning to do a couple things for us. I'm not great at plumbing and my back isn't the best right now, so it was worth getting a pro to fix it. Good folks the wife has known for years.
Then worked around the raised beds gettin rid of weeds between the beds and putting down mulch. Got part done, goin tomorrow and get enough to finish it off. Then I'm goin to layout all the feed lines for the drip system permantly for the summer.

I brought and added injector cleaner to my fuel tank and filled it with high octane Premium unleaded fuel.
I went to my fav auto parts store and once again they were awesome.
They actively cheer me on to problem solve the issues I have and they give me a pensioners discount regardless of what I buy and the dollar amount.
They don't treat me like I'm an idiot and they suggest things that will make my life easier without taking the piss.
Today's visit was no different.
I explained the issue...what I have already done and told them that the next item on the list of elimination is to add injector cleaner.
They took me to that section of the store and explained what each did.
I made the choice and when we got to the register we found that the bottle was leaking.
They went and got a new bottle and offered me the leaking bottle for free.....to which I said.."Hell YES"
So I got one bottle of injector cleaner for nothing and the second at a pensioners discount.
I poured the leaking bottle into the fuel tank right out there in the parking lot.
The "good" bottle is saved for another treatment in 3 months time.

Now that I filled the tank with the injector cleaner and Premium fuel I am ready to give the Buzzbox a hard time.
I've got multiple dump runs to do this weekend as part of my household purge.

The guy at the Auto parts store seems to think it's a sensor becuse I only have issues when I start it up and then run it. Once it has it's "episode" it's golden for the rest of the day and the issue reappears when it's started up again after sitting for a while.
Swapping out a sensor HAS to be easier than changing out the fuel filter and fuel pump which involves removing the back seats, floor matting, the viewing plate in the floor to get to another plate in the top of the fuel tank under which the fuel pump and filter are attached.
Yeah, Nah....I pass thanks.

Hope she is okay...
Prayers going up Terri
Prayers everything is ok
Just saw this....praying...
The photos your husband is sharing on Instagram are great! You have an awesome garden started.

Thanks y'all. Her cardiologist thinks it may be the indomethacin she's been taking for migraines. It can cause severe painful bouts of indigestion. Her EKG was normal but he sent her in for some x-rays and we are going back for another echocardiogram and a stress test.

Ended up going to the post office and grocery store instead of cleaning. It was hot so the trip wore me out. I have so very little energy.

Thursday is the night that has a bunch of shows on PBS that I like. Watched Father Brown, Death In Paradise, and Midsomer Murders.

Pondering hiring a plumber to finish up the work for the waterlines but not sure if any will go under if I tell them there was a rattlesnake. I can't *not* tell them if I know though. Would it be bad form to get them out here and then say "Hey, if you hear a buzzing sound, back off because it's probably the rattlesnake we saw?" LOL. If I wasn't too fat to squeeze through where I need to in order to run the lines I'd do it myself.

The guy at the Auto parts store seems to think it's a sensor

Swapping out a sensor HAS to be easier than changing out the fuel filter and fuel pump which involves removing the back seats, floor matting, the viewing plate in the floor to get to another plate in the top of the fuel tank under which the fuel pump and filter are attached.

Hope it is the sensor. The last time I changed a fuel pump it was on my old chevy farm truck. Had to take the bed off. I've a 3bay shop but it was still a pain. Your vehicle sounds even more difficult.

I've had a quiet day. Deleted another 3GB of garbage off my computer, about to call it quits for the evening. Still battling the pesky folder that keeps reappearing. I deleted it 3times from the command prompt as admin, came back again. I found a little free program named "Process Explore". It allows you to find any executable (program) or dll process that is using any file or folder on your system. As far as I can tell nothing is using that folder or the two underneath it.

This evening I renamed it from the command prompt, which also means nothing else is using it. The new name showed up after I rebooted and viewed it from several programs. Afterwards I deleted it again from the command prompt, it came back as soon as I restarted my system.

This can only mean something is very corrupt in the root directory. As long as it keeps running till I back up everything once more I'll be happy.

It's looking like I'll have to build a new pc, I see no other option to get what I want. I've shopped til I'm blue in the face... seen nothing I would want that I can afford. I can build a pc that'll do everything I want for around $500.

Today should be fun. I woke up at 03:30 no headache :thumbs: .

I have promised the wife that I will get her fitted for a new recliner today, So she is very happy because she gets out of the house and she will be getting a new chair, 2 stones with one bird.

I plan to go to L o w e s today to pick up 2 17 gallon tubs and 2 plants for the wife. The tubs will be for the over-winter indoor squash and tomatoes.

I plan to finish moving all my old indoor plants out of the house (including the tomato plant) as they are no longer needed and I want to clean (de-bug) the space for the indoor garden before starting new plants, which I hope to have going by Monday.

I had hoped to be off for the next 4 days, but I need to deliver some documents by Tuesday morning, so I will still need to work on them at least 2 hours every day, never catch a break.

Well, need to get moving.... Have a great day ;)

I brought and added injector cleaner to my fuel tank and filled it with high octane Premium unleaded fuel.
I went to my fav auto parts store and once again they were awesome.
They actively cheer me on to problem solve the issues I have and they give me a pensioners discount regardless of what I buy and the dollar amount.
They don't treat me like I'm an idiot and they suggest things that will make my life easier without taking the piss.
Today's visit was no different.
I explained the issue...what I have already done and told them that the next item on the list of elimination is to add injector cleaner.
They took me to that section of the store and explained what each did.
I made the choice and when we got to the register we found that the bottle was leaking.
They went and got a new bottle and offered me the leaking bottle for free.....to which I said.."Hell YES"
So I got one bottle of injector cleaner for nothing and the second at a pensioners discount.
I poured the leaking bottle into the fuel tank right out there in the parking lot.
The "good" bottle is saved for another treatment in 3 months time.

Now that I filled the tank with the injector cleaner and Premium fuel I am ready to give the Buzzbox a hard time.
I've got multiple dump runs to do this weekend as part of my household purge.

The guy at the Auto parts store seems to think it's a sensor becuse I only have issues when I start it up and then run it. Once it has it's "episode" it's golden for the rest of the day and the issue reappears when it's started up again after sitting for a while.
Is the buzz box equipped with an OBD port? If so ask the guys at the parts house if they could attach their OBD scanner and read out the codes for you. Once you know what Codes have been tripped you can go on the internet and look up common fixes to the problem. Fixing the right problem is always less expensive than fixing things that aren't broken.

The Wife and I went garage sale-ing yesterday to get out for a bit. Found a few items (that we actually needed) and bought them up. One sale in which I thought was electronic gadgetry from the pictures, actually turned out to be rifle accessories, so I bought several things.

Quite a bit of the things we picked up were still new in the packaging.

Got home and totaled everything up and it was roughly 325 dollars worth of things had we bought new. We spent 55 bucks lol.

Just finished up watering trees. The 7 red fleshed apples I started from seed last fall are looking really good. The Colorado Blue Spruce all look like they are dying. Thankfully I filled all the water tanks BEFORE the pump died!

Is the buzz box equipped with an OBD port? If so ask the guys at the parts house if they could attach their OBD scanner and read out the codes for you. Once you know what Codes have been tripped you can go on the internet and look up common fixes to the problem. Fixing the right problem is always less expensive than fixing things that aren't broken.

I bought the 300 dollar obd scanner years ago, (probably a better one available now) it has saved me and my friends many dollars in scanning fees and unnecessary parts. It's nice when you can clean a MAF sensor and clear the light.
Check engine light has to be on though for it to read...with mine anyway...

I'm researching humane snake traps (no glue traps bc those can catch other things & are awful to mess with) in the hopes of catching the rattlesnake so it can be documented and relocated.

Trying to wake up enough to do some cleaning. Kidney stone is bugging me & I'm out of naproxyn. Waiting for my rx to be refilled. I'm going to try to do some more cleaning in the kitchen today. I also need to put a power strip up on my mom's desk but it requires running a cord behind the desk & monitor so I will have to move some stuff. It's going to be tricky because she has a ton of stuff piled up on her desk and I'm worried there will be an avalanche of her junk.

Morning drywalling done and some tree planting. Now a bit of moving dirt piles with tractor to hopefully create a garden for next year and filling in the drainage ditches.

Take a rest for 2 hours, then more drywalling before bedtime. Hope to be done with drywall, mud and tape in one month. Then its on to suspended ceilings. Whenever I get the the lazy feeling and want to quit, I check out Neb's reno posts. They make me quit whining and suck it up; especially that basement job.

Will have to drop doing this stuff when the steel siding shows up. That will be high priority to get done, weather permitting.

Got a hair cut yesterday.
Went to Wal*Mart for fill in items.
Price checked new grill doing my research before purchasing.
Planted another raised bed today.
Grand daughter and I will be planting watermelon tomorrow.
Went out to dinner last (date)night.
Dinner was okay.
Blind date-not so much.
Was hard to have adult conversation when 8 year old boy interrupting all the time.
So my oldest son and him had a discussion, it didn't end well for 8 year old.
8 year old's mom is dating my son.
My blind date was her dad.
If I had known that I would have stayed home.
Half way thru dinner, grand daughter crawls up on to my lap wraps her arms around my neck
her head on my shoulder sound a sleep.
Was home before 8 pm.
Ate p&j sandwich, set up medicine for week.
Bed by 9.
Chilly here today, overcast, rainy.
Not doing much.
Got 5 more tray of garlic in dehydrator.

Went to the coffee shop this morning, the went over to pastor Rick's house and helped him cut some tree limbs that were hanging over his street. Mostly I just held the ladder while he cut them, then we trimmed to length and loaded them up.

Now, getting lunch for my kid and we're going fishing later on, then a movie tonight. Maybe something scary if I can find one appropriate for a 14 year old...

Morning drywalling done and some tree planting. Now a bit of moving dirt piles with tractor to hopefully create a garden for next year and filling in the drainage ditches.

Take a rest for 2 hours, then more drywalling before bedtime. Hope to be done with drywall, mud and tape in one month. Then its on to suspended ceilings. Whenever I get the the lazy feeling and want to quit, I check out Neb's reno posts. They make me quit whining and suck it up; especially that basement job.

Will have to drop doing this stuff when the steel siding shows up. That will be high priority to get done, weather permitting.
So I wasnt just whining for my own sake but inspiring others. Cool.
;)

There many days when I found myself singing in my own head one of the songs the Judas character in "Jesus Christ Superstar"

"
I will be dragged through the slime and the mud...
"

Stick with it @ClemKadiddlehopper

Ben

Rain today so back to sheet metal project.

20210528_161048.jpg

20210528_160800.jpg

The plenum on the right should fit through the wall a slide inside duct from the left. Still need to screw it all together and tape up all of the seams.

Ben

Hope it is the sensor. The last time I changed a fuel pump it was on my old chevy farm truck. Had to take the bed off. I've a 3bay shop but it was still a pain. Your vehicle sounds even more difficult.

I couldn't for the life of me remember what the name of the sensor was but I remember the sales guy saying it was a modern day equivalent of a choke so I rang the parts store this morning.
It seems it's a MAP sensor and all the symptoms the Buzzbox is showing leads to the belief it's faulty.
It "looks" like it'll be a easy fix. At least I don't have to start removing seats and it's actually in/on an accessible part of the engine.
Also the quote for the part is around $150 which is acceptable AND I have the tools to fix it which is a nice change.
The other bonus is there's a awesome YT tutorial that shows how to remove it and replace it.
I'm grateful for the tut because I had no idea what a MAP sensor looked like or even where to start looking esp. after the whole fuel filter incident.

I spoke too soon.
The above YT video shows a 1.3L DOHC engine. Mine is a 1.5L DOHC and I had a hell of a time trying to find the MAP sensor.
What did I say about it being easy to reach? HAH!
Boy, I feel pretty silly atm.
This is where it is.....my index finger is touching one of the screw/ bolt heads of the MAP sensor.
Also it isn't situated horizontally like the video but vertically and I've got all of 2.5 inches between the MAP sensor and the firewall.
I'm going to be working blind and by feel to remove it, get it installed and get the lead unattached and attached correctly.

Attachments

• MAP sensor 2.JPG
    MAP sensor 2.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 35
  • MAP sensor.JPG
    MAP sensor.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I feel your pain....number 6 cylinder on my exterra is like that....all the way in back and down 6 to 7 inches. I hammered my swivel extension so they weren't so loose and did it by braille...20 minutes for one spark plug....BOOOOOO...what kinda vehicle are you working on?

I feel your pain....number 6 cylinder on my exterra is like that....all the way in back and down 6 to 7 inches. I hammered my swivel extension so they weren't so loose and did it by braille...20 minutes for one spark plug....BOOOOOO...what kinda vehicle are you working on?

What a stinker! My back hurts just thinking about that.

I'm working on a Hyundai Getz.
They're a tough little car that's hard to kill ( I know I've tried it with benign neglect) but boy howdy it's got the most illogically placed engine components I've ever encountered.
If they can put something where it'll make the most effort to get to then they'll do it.

Latest posts

Back