What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from the ER. Dad caught the stomach virus going around or the turnip greens he had for supper last night were bad. At his age it was best to take him to see a doc. He was prescribed Imodium AD and something for nausea which meant a trip to WM.

But! All his paperwork said "Treated for Covid". He's been vaccinated so its another case for the statistics. I can see the tv commercials already... "Imodium AD" "In the forefront in the battle against Covid!". Maybe biden or fauci will make the announcement Monday... Might be wise to call your broker and buy stock! :rolleyes:

Anyway, WM has taken all the seats up at this location so I had to leave dad sitting in the truck in the parking lot, temps around 97 degrees. I left the engine running and the AC on full but it was still warm in the truck when I got back (20min).

Got a few groceries while waiting for the prescriptions to be filled.

Peanut, did they test him for Covid?

Ben, all those machines look so cool!

Mo, That is awesome of you to sew stuff for people. I want to learn to sew.

I am particularly interested in learning how to sew pockets. I eventually want to be able to make my own clothes and I want pants with big pockets. I hate the tiny pockets on women's pants. I started buying men's pants to get bigger pockets. I have some comfy ones I wear a lot with nice sized pockets. I have been looking at the pockets to try to figure out how to duplicate them-- or maybe even make slightly larger ones. I've seen online tutorials where they make the openings too small. At least I've figured out how to do the slightly angled pockets though.

Just got back from the ER. Dad caught the stomach virus going around or the turnip greens he had for supper last night were bad. At his age it was best to take him to see a doc. He was prescribed Imodium AD and something for nausea which meant a trip to WM.
Anyway, WM has taken all the seats up at this location so I had to leave dad sitting in the truck in the parking lot, temps around 97 degrees. I left the engine running and the AC on full but it was still warm in the truck when I got back (20min
I feel fine now, but that is going to be me a ten or twenty years with my son.:(:(

Peanut, did they test him for Covid?

Ben, all those machines look so cool!

Mo, That is awesome of you to sew stuff for people. I want to learn to sew.

I am particularly interested in learning how to sew pockets. I eventually want to be able to make my own clothes and I want pants with big pockets. I hate the tiny pockets on women's pants. I started buying men's pants to get bigger pockets. I have some comfy ones I wear a lot with nice sized pockets. I have been looking at the pockets to try to figure out how to duplicate them-- or maybe even make slightly larger ones. I've seen online tutorials where they make the openings too small. At least I've figured out how to do the slightly angled pockets though.
zannej,
I sew, knit, crochet,quilt for lots of people.
When I say I'm working on Christmas gifts.
Sometimes the items goes into my Christmas gift cabinet(hats, scarfs and glove sets for the homeless.)
Baby layette sets:receiving blanket, little outfit(little simple dress for girls, little seersucker suits for boys), mittens,hats for Ronald McDonald house to go to Children's Mercy Neo Natal Unit or KU Neo Natal Units.
I find old wedding dresses at flea markets, thrift stores for a group of ladies to make Angel's outfits for stillborn babies.
But sometimes I sew for a family that have 6 children still at home, money is tight for them.
That's a his, hers and theirs marriage and families.
Little pieces of fabric is put together with batting, and backing to help keep someone warm in the winter.
Pockets are fairly simple to make.
Will be making a Advent calendar for a little boy who is fascnated with pockets all sizes of pocket.
But thank you for the complement.

Watched a 5 year old while the wife was away so made a day of playing, getting the truck washed and fueled, and getting the riding mower adjusted to mow. After he left decided to mow the lawn then buy 2 gallons of paint for the garage. Took longer to get the paint, transport it, and clean the airless sprayer than it did to actually paint. Only one wall 12 feet high by 32 long.
Went on a small grocery run for beer, sausage, corn on the cob, and red potatoes. Fired up the charcoal grill for the corn and sausage and made potato salad while that was cooking. Gonna do some video gaming tonight for a bit and tweak a website but hope to get to bed a bit earlier than normal.

K is replacing the thermostat in my car. Rather than wasting time trying a mechanic with the time to even look at it we troubleshooted the problem and figured that must be it. It was cheap enough for us to replace even if it isn't. He is having some issues not having tools but nothing a trip to the auto store won't fix.

I made a batch of barley black bean soup with a kick of cayenne. No one but me eats it so I made it just the way I like. SPICY!

I am having issues with our tomato plants. There are tons of blossoms and tons of bees enjoying them BUT no fruit. I think it is the heat and maybe as it cools I'll get a couple. Our strawberries are thriving and the zucchini is doing meh. I get a few zucchini but no large harvest or large squash. Just small 3 inch squash once or twice a week.
I was recently told that tomatoes "stop" at 95* which really makes sense with what we are seeing in ours this year. We now have a bunch of toms. setting but most are still green. We have 2 more days of "nice" weather before it goes back to triple digits for another week. I'm just trying to roll with it this year. Hubby is going crazy because he wants salsa: Anaheima are on, jalapenos are just starting and tomatoes are behind. Our cilantro is bolting, but hey the onions look great :)

It's been over 95 here and I'm still getting tomatoes. Tons and tons of cherry tomatoes. My early girls are just turning red and am picking those. Rutgers heirloom are still green.
Spent the day in the kitchen working on corn. The freezer has tons of corn in it now. Got one dehydrator refilled with squash. Neighbor guy picked up grandson for some night bailing, but the bailer broke, so he was home by 9. Hot and windy here.

That is very cool, Mo. Very sweet of you to do that. My sister could crochet. My mom did cross-stitch. My pesudo grandmother made quilts. But none of them ever tried to teach me. Albeit, to be honest I was more interested in climbing trees and playing outside. When it came to crafts I liked to draw and was interested in woodworking. My late Aunt Emily (my dad's only sister) got me some drawing paper and pencils when I was younger to encourage me to draw.

As a kid I hated being indoors. I would stare longingly out the window at school wanting to be outside running around or just taking in nature. During recess I would walk to the far end of the field over to the fence next to a forested area so I could be near the trees. In high school in Singapore I would climb the "senior tree" and sit in it during my lunch break. Now with the heat and allergies I stay inside too much.

Pockets are very cool. I love pockets. I hate how women's pants have small pockets or fake pockets. Fake pockets absolutely enrage me. LOL. I think I've found some good patterns and have figured out how to make them. There are two methods I'm considering. One is to have a separate pocket fabric and sew on the regular pants fabric in places that will be visible if the pocket is opened. The other is to use the pants fabric entirely. Although, I want sturdy pockets so I'm thinking of lining them or making some sort of reinforcement.

I think one of the British divers in the Olympics who won gold likes to knit. He was knitting while in the audience. I wish I had the memory and patience for it. I would forget what step I was on. LOL.

Guardian sounds like the makings of a good meal.

I was woken up around 4am by a cat trying to sit on my head. I moved my feet and the dog started grousing. Then my bladder woke up so I had to get up. Led the dog to Mom's room so he could climb up on her bed. He's devoted to her but he's grown more attached to me ever since we took him with us to my sister's house one year. She only had one guest bedroom and her husband didn't want anyone sleeping on the couch so I had to share a room & a bed with mom. The dog slept between us. After that, every night he comes and sits on my bed for awhile and then fusses at me to take him to her room. I think he wants us all to be in the same room. LOL.

Cat his hogging my pillow and my brain doesn't want to let me sleep even though I'm still tired.

I went to the hair salon. There was a delay there and we started an hour later than planned but that's fine. It's next door.
After that my plan is to keep snacking on salty banana chips (I'm not really hungry today), take a nap (I'm tired and sleepy), then a quiet evening watching Castle.

We had a big rainstorm last night, took a few limbs down, but watered everything pretty well. Spent a few hours this morning in the garden, picked a bunch of butternut squash, watermelon, bucket of squash, and a bucket of cherry tomatoes. Time to clean up the kitchen after the kids have been through and get to making salsa to can.

Well Peanut got me thinking about starting on the firewood. I have absolutely been dreading it. I bought a wood splitter back in 2010 I used it a little and convinced myself I could split wood much faster by hand which at that time I probably could. So I drug the splitter out from under the shed and expected a project. It had sat there long enough the tires had rotted and wouldn’t take air. I knew that I was going to at least have to pull and clean the carb. We went ahead and added some gas and give a few pulls and the damn thing started right up on about the 5th pull. I sprayed a little carb cleaner in the throat of the carb it cleaned up and ran perfectly! The ram was stuck we hit it with a little penetrating oil and smacked it back with a sledge and it went to working. Those little Honda motors are amazing! It starts right up and splits great. I’m not dreading the wood cutting near as much as I was! 😀 we still have to get some tires for it but we had less than 30 minutes in getting it up and running well.

5700A4E8-325C-492B-A420-E6E568F9C416.jpeg
33AF97D2-B59D-4FC1-B4D2-F52D03283402.jpeg
FF2C2208-51AC-4070-BBA4-E661FAE0FC20.jpeg
2813F382-23F7-4E8D-A469-BCC2F05B70C2.jpeg
88DB44D5-B4A4-48A4-B1FB-FF80E2681805.png
E892E92A-D44E-44CD-ABAD-4C8E2AB48931.jpeg

Well Peanut got me thinking about starting on the firewood. I have absolutely been dreading it. I bought a wood splitter back in 2010 I used it a little and convinced myself I could split wood much faster by hand which at that time I probably could. So I drug the splitter out from under the shed and expected a project. It had sat there long enough the tires had rotted and wouldn’t take air. I knew that I was going to at least have to pull and clean the carb. We went ahead and added some gas and give a few pulls and the damn thing started right up on about the 5th pull. I sprayed a little carb cleaner in the throat of the carb it cleaned up and ran perfectly! The ram was stuck we hit it with a little penetrating oil and smacked it back with a sledge and it went to working. Those little Honda motors are amazing! It starts right up and splits great. I’m not dreading the wood cutting near as much as I was! 😀 we still have to get some tires for it but we had less than 30 minutes in getting it up and running well.

View attachment 70686View attachment 70687View attachment 70688View attachment 70689View attachment 70690View attachment 70691
Ah, a wood splitter makes all the difference! Does yours tilt up/ stand up? We put it upright, then Hubby pulls up a stump and does the splitting and pitching towards the pile while I keep him supplied with logs to split and stack the ones that have been split. Works pretty well - or did up the mountain anyways.

View attachment 70686View attachment 70687View attachment 70688View attachment 70689View attachment 70690View attachment 70691

Hey @hashbrown, I got one I just sold with Honda motor.
It has set for 2 years and starts first pull Everytime.

Won't be burning wood anymore.

Jim

If I'm working alone I prefer a vertical setup for a log splitter. I spend more time splitting than lifting. I'm going to cut several big loads from the oak that fell but I don't burn wood and dad stopped last year. But! both houses can be heated with wood in a pinch so I'm going to stack a good pile over at the barn. Better to have and not need than need and not have...

This morning I harvested a little from the garden, then off to a range day (actually a volunteer work day with range access), made up a bunch of frames, broke my glasses, so sighting was a little interesting.... 2 new that I bore sighted were about 3" off center, 2 shots and on good; 4 firearms in an 8" circle at 100 yards, no outliers, all the hunting guns are now ready for the season... ;) Got home finished canning tomato product, picked some grapes (a little sour but acceptable), did some laundry.

Not bad for a day of rest. :)

Hey @hashbrown, I got one I just sold with Honda motor.
It has set for 2 years and starts first pull Everytime.

Won't be burning wood anymore.

Jim

I know it has set since 2011 and it fired right up. Jake said when we went to work on it today, " Dad we are not cavemen we have electricity!" Doesn't sound like he's ready for the wood cutting either this year!

We are monitoring a tornado warning here. This is the damnedest storm I've ever seen. It is staying just north of us, but it's moving very slow and it has more lightning than any storm I've ever seen. We have had continuous thunder for 35 minutes now - there hasn't been even one second of silence. Most of the lightning seems to be aerial instead of cloud to ground. The weatherman says he expects 4-5 inches of rain to fall in a two hour time frame but we haven't seen one drop yet...if it turns due south we will head for cover.

Had 2 meetings today, one afternoon class, lunch with my sister, walked Jack and let him sniff around his future girlfriend - she's adorable! He's a bit shy right now 😋
Now I'm planning on working on a living room design and the showroom design.

Sitting in waiting room at hospital , waiting to see my cardiologist for checkup.

Got 2 1/2" of rain overnight.
Gonna go by Home Depot for some plumbing supplies.
Have lunch .

Go to law office to pick up Ernest money check and final signed contract on my house.
Then pickup some boxes from my grandson.

Then home.

Too darn busy.
But I feel good.
I think the B12 shots and B complex 150 is helping.

Jim

Worked on changing my blog header on my blog this morning. Now I am waiting for my bf to bring hay for my bunny. I am cleaning out my storage area to make room for a hay box in there and the other one is in my bathroom closet. Hoping it will last a month like that.

Latest posts

Back