What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then I spent a few hours helping son work through a fluid mechanics problem. I took this class like 30 years ago , so it took me a while. I don't understand college today. The professors won't go over tests or give the correct answers. How are you supposed to learn if you don't know what you did wrong? Are they that lazy that they want to reuse the same tests and that is why no answers? It also makes it hard for students to catch the TA that grades it making a mistake.
For my used book business, I used to watch the free section on Craigslist, and then pick up books that looked like they had potential of being sold on Amazon. One guy was a physics major at the University of Arizona in Tucson, and he had many boxes of old physics books. I made a little money from reselling those books, and I have often thought that it is physics professors who buy them, for problems for their exams. I still have some of them in my book selling bookcases. I sold one of those books a couple months ago, but when I first listed them, I sold a few quickly.

Running off to Joann’s to get tulle to cover my blueberries. Then dealing with getting a crop cage to cover my blueberries. Things I did not know: deer find blueberries tasty even when only in flower. Things I have learned to my dismay and frustration: that.

I am too far into suburbia to hunt the pesky things.
IMG_20211011_173705840.jpg
They like their pictures taken too!!

Running off to Joann’s to get tulle to cover my blueberries. Then dealing with getting a crop cage to cover my blueberries. Things I did not know: deer find blueberries tasty even when only in flower. Things I have learned to my dismay and frustration: that.

I am too far into suburbia to hunt the pesky things.
My Pops has 8 blueberries that are his pride and joy. He built a frame around all 8 and fenced it with fine chicken wire. Then he built a cover with bird netting that we help him put on it every spring. He gets so many blueberries that Mom has to tell him every year, Quit bringing those things in the house! I'm not making any more pies!

My Pops has 8 blueberries that are his pride and joy. He built a frame around all 8 and fenced it with fine chicken wire. Then he built a cover with bird netting that we help him put on it every spring. He gets so many blueberries that Mom has to tell him every year, Quit bringing those things in the house! I'm not making any more pies!
That’s pretty much what we’ll end up doing. I‘ve had to cover them before to protect them from birds, which usually meant that I could just tulle-cover once they were pollinated, and take the covers off when the blueberries were eaten up.

Alas no, not here. I would just fence in our whole property but suburbia makes it more difficult, and that our little property is in a three-sided bowl doesn’t help either. The deer would come right over fences to our north and east unless we built them ten feet tall. 😞 So! Crop cage. Yes.

And then one for the veggie garden … last year I made due with bird netting held up on tomato stakes, and that may be this year too, but that’s not tall enough to really protect the blueberries.

Eight blueberry plants sound like a dream, honestly! My husband loves them and four bushes at maturity wasn’t enough at our previous place for me to have enough to preserve or make pies. Blueberry pie sounds fantastic right now, yum!

Pies, preserves, compote and syrup. Blueberries are great!

Fixed the bower motor in our camper van. The old motor was noisy so I replaced it then It wouldn't work. Traced the problem to the blower relay. Of course Ford stuck it behind the battery so I had to take it out. It was corroded from the gasses from the battery and one of the wire terminals had just broken off. New relay cost me $27.00! I put a new plug connector in for the blower motor switch while I had everything apart. In the last two years I've replaced the blower switch, the blower resistor, the plug connector for the blower switch, the blower relay, the blower motor and the fan on the blower motor. The only thing left from the factory is the wiring harness! Each item took their turn breaking.

Next is replacing the AC compressor and freon reservoir so I can recharge it with the new crap they use instead of R-12. I have the parts, just haven't put them on yet. AC is not in high demand in Montana even in the summer.

We are heading to the "city" in a bit. I'm on the schedule for a knee replacement tomorrow morning. We are renting a camping spot next to the hospital. It will be easier than getting up at 3:00 am and running the deer gauntlet (AKA avoiding Montana hood ornaments) to town in the morning. We can sleep in the camper in the hospital parking lot and I just have to walk across it to the surgery center. Susan and Scott will stay in the camper Friday then I should get to go home Saturday morning.

Some friends stopped by the shop this morning to drop off and pick up stuff we had for each other. She had a shirt on that read "Coffee is my spirit animal." 😂 I loved it. We were chatting for a bit before I took the time to read it then laughed mid conversation.
Also, wanted to wish everyone a Happy Cinco de Drinko 🥂
1651787350808.png

Pouring down rain (a good thing here.)

Had footpeg issue on motorbike solved by a welder... and it only cost me $80, lol. Learned a neat trick about watering trees in the desert... from a hand with heaps of experience in that department. Dropped off bike at home and took car to go shopping... now kicking back and waiting for the sun to drop a little farther before I water the fruit trees. Not hungry yet, but I picked up some burger patties on sale, the price of meats is just ridiculous right now, pfffffft. Later, a hamburger and a good book, cheap entertainment from the library, lol. ;)

Had footpeg issue on motorbike solved by a welder...

, the price of meats is just ridiculous right now, pfffffft. Later, a hamburger and a good book, cheap entertainment from the library, lol. ;)

The Princess is headed to the local butcher that processes in house. Guess who's food budget is going way over. :thumbs:

Ben

The Princess is headed to the local butcher that processes in house. Guess who's food budget is going way over. :thumbs:

Ben
Oh now budget schmudget 😋. @Terri9630 is building us a butchering facility and we’re all gonna take our critters and have a big ol’ time. Many hands make light work right? 😇

Picked up a nail in a tire. Stopped by the tire shop.…

Could have been my fault.

I hauled a homemade compost barrel today. Gutter nails to fasten the barrel axle to the posts I placed inside the barrel. When I reached my destination the 6” gutter nails were gone.

Fixed the bower motor in our camper van. The old motor was noisy so I replaced it then It wouldn't work. Traced the problem to the blower relay. Of course Ford stuck it behind the battery so I had to take it out. It was corroded from the gasses from the battery and one of the wire terminals had just broken off. New relay cost me $27.00! I put a new plug connector in for the blower motor switch while I had everything apart. In the last two years I've replaced the blower switch, the blower resistor, the plug connector for the blower switch, the blower relay, the blower motor and the fan on the blower motor. The only thing left from the factory is the wiring harness! Each item took their turn breaking.

Next is replacing the AC compressor and freon reservoir so I can recharge it with the new crap they use instead of R-12. I have the parts, just haven't put them on yet. AC is not in high demand in Montana even in the summer.

We are heading to the "city" in a bit. I'm on the schedule for a knee replacement tomorrow morning. We are renting a camping spot next to the hospital. It will be easier than getting up at 3:00 am and running the deer gauntlet (AKA avoiding Montana hood ornaments) to town in the morning. We can sleep in the camper in the hospital parking lot and I just have to walk across it to the surgery center. Susan and Scott will stay in the camper Friday then I should get to go home Saturday morning.
Wishing you the best on your surgery!

So I figured something out (please hold your applause). 😂 I have been shedding like a stray dog for about the last 6ish weeks - I'm talking loosing my hair. This is crazy since I've always had very thick hair. It's long so loosing a lot means it's very noticeable! My hair is thinner now then it has ever been in my life. It just dawned on me this morning :lightbulb: it's from having C. virus. When one fevers for a period of time, about 8ish weeks later, one looses hair in significant quantities. Ah-ha! The good news is it grows back as it was before. So in several more weeks I'm going to have a bunch of short hairs growing back in - oy! This might be TMI, but I'm relieved I'm not going bald.

So I figured something out (please hold your applause). 😂 I have been shedding like a stray dog for about the last 6ish weeks - I'm talking loosing my hair. This is crazy since I've always had very thick hair. It's long so loosing a lot means it's very noticeable! My hair is thinner now then it has ever been in my life. It just dawned on me this morning :lightbulb: it's from having C. virus. When one fevers for a period of time, about 8ish weeks later, one looses hair in significant quantities. Ah-ha! The good news is it grows back as it was before. So in several more weeks I'm going to have a bunch of short hairs growing back in - oy! This might be TMI, but I'm relieved I'm not going bald.
I must have a fever. In fact I must have had it since about 2010. Because my hair started falling out then and hasn't grown back...

All the people I know that had covid lost their hair, then it grew back ultra thick!

Latest posts

Back