What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot can happen in 3 hours. Dad came over, upset about some weeds over by the old barn. So I hooked up the bush hog cut a few acres, cut another acre in the bull pen then went down and cut the shoulder of the hwy on both sides of the house. Make sure we have visibility to pull out into the road safely.

I came back to the house for bad news. Dad called to tell me, mom was trying to correct him in the background... don't think either of them really understood the chain of events.

Anyway, a cousin died, unsure if he died this morning or was found this morning having died a couple days ago. Darn... He was a good man, better than me anyway. I think he was 3 years younger than me. I drove by his house 2 days ago. Started to stop but didn't see his truck in the yard. He was a diabetic and had serious heart issues. And I know for a fact he got the vaxx... :confused:

It'll dampen the reunion this weekend. He's in a different branch of my family but everyone going to the reunion knows him. He was well liked...

I think the funeral is monday... :confused:

The pasture looks a little better. The cut area was waist deep in weeds.

View attachment 95129View attachment 95130
Sorry for you loss Peanut.

Water preps are finished, it's a bit of a process how I do it with gallon jugs. There are periods of time in the summer when our preps are very low. During the winter we have about 80 gals. stored. Fuel preps are reset with the exception of 1 more 25 lb. propane tank I need to fill. Received my Baofengs and will start programming this week. Bought a book so I can start studying for my Technician class. I'm also studying for my ParaPro certificate. I don't need it at the school I work at because I have my Associates Degree, but I will be able to work at different schools with it. I'm looking forward to the challenge of studying for both. Hopefully done with both by Feb.

Scuppernoggs are just white muscadines
I have 5 or 6 tame/hybrid Muscadines & a few wild ones.
Dr.Fry found a Scuppernogg in the wild & it is called the the mother vine.
He crossed a clone with the purple & that is while the bronze Muscadines came from.
We called them Bulless as a child, never seen the word in print, so it maybe misspelled.

Last night I dreamed about the greenhouse area I built at the basement walk out. I saw that it would be simple to have a water bib from rain barrels and I even saw all the parts I need. So this morning as I was going to HD to pick up some #7 and #5 nursery pots anyway, I figured I'd pickup all the fittings I need to add easy watering to my greenhouse.

While I was there I saw some kerosene in 2.5 gallon jugs, just $26@, that's over $10 a gallon. I looked up prices when I got home. According the NYSERDA the average price in NY is about $5.50/gal but it is up from $3/gal last year. FYI, I'm not in NY but I will take my data where I find it....

It looks like Kerosene and Heating Oil are both up about 40% from last year.

Will walk in a few minutes and then walk dogs.
Will spend some time on the phone with quick books as there are things that I just don't understand how to do.
This afternoon, we are going to a discount store to look at pleated curtains to replace the living room sheers that the cat ripped. (no more kitties in the house).
Then to dinner out.
Pretty easy day.

Might be headed to the store, might not. depends how my back feels after yesterday's adventures.

If not I'll be tooling my latest 3 gun kit. and stacking in 250/50/100 and a tool kit.
rats. I'm running low on hunting ammo for 308!

Might be housecleaning day here... I really should vacuum the carpet and mop the kitchen floor. We'll see how motivated I am once I finish my herbal tea. I might consolidate the branches & pulled stumps in the yard instead, since it's such a beautiful fall day outdoors. I was just sitting on the porch, watching the kitties and all the wild birds, we sure have heaps of doves in this area, flocks of 'em in the trees... I've seen 40 or 50 in my yard at a time, which suits me just fine. :rolleyes:

I should probably check my cluster mailbox out on the highway sometime today, maybe ride the thumper up there and see if I have any bills sitting in the box. I haven't checked it since last week, and I wanna make sure my bills are paid in a timely manner. We have lousy postal service here, same way we have lousy phone service, lol. Maybe that's a good thing, as folks won't wanna live here for those reasons, lol. Moi, I like my nice quiet neighborhood, it is peaceful here. :cool:

Going to write a short story at work because they'll still pay me if that's what I'm doing, and I include my coworkers, and study/play music for four hours straight when I get home from work.

Anyone wanna see the two short stories I wrote already?

Going to write a short story at work because they'll still pay me if that's what I'm doing, and I include my coworkers, and study/play music for four hours straight when I get home from work.

Anyone wanna see the two short stories I wrote already?
PDF them and pop them in the library like I do.

The veggie pasta I ate had lentils in it and didn't agree with my digestive system. I crammed more steel wool into another mouse hole I found in my bathroom. Currently have my toilet seat covered with a paste of vinegar and baking soda and vinegar soaked paper towels with plastic on top to try to remove stains. Letting it sit 24hours.

Watched season 2 of Broadchurch with my brother.

Going to take a nap and then see about doing some cleaning in the kitchen and living room.

Time for me to catch up.

Friday The Princess took our first ride to the top of The Ridge. Then back home again because are keeping up with The Rings of Power and would not make a late night of it.

Saturday we attended a 30 year reunion event for the local DEC office. ( Anyone remember DEC?) It was nice talking to people I haven't seen since the layoffs. The Princess was the only customer in attendence and she enjoyed talking to the people that used to fix the computers she used to manage.

Youngest granddaughter visited on Sunday. That girl can't wait to get her own cellphone and was continually borrowing Grammas phone.

I have been attending to the garden the past two days harvesting some carrots and planting lots of garlic.

Tomorrow I have a new security camera to replace one that decided it doesn't want to silence the siren when an alarm is reset. Also will be doing some weeding and figuring what trees will get transplanted this year.

Ben

Fell asleep after lunch, it was one of those "I'll just lie down for a bit" moments, lol. Guess I did more work than I thought yesterday, but that's okay, I got rid of those weed & brush piles and my yard looks much better. Now that it's already 16:20 (no lie, I just checked the clock and 420 was on the dial, lol), I'll probably just write off the rest of the stuff I had planned for today... I did the usual chores, so I'm good that way. Collected my mail from the box out on the highway and all I have bill-wise is the water outfit, $40 for this month. Works for me! I don't mind paying that amount, the folks who run that operation have to fix leaks and upgrade equipment on occasion. The gal I see regularly at the office is always nice to me too, so I wanna stay on a friendly footing, lol. I'll drop in at the office manana and give her the money... :cool:

It happened again, another cousin gone. He was young, 27yrs old and a chef. He owned a wild game restaurant somewhere out west. And an athlete, played minor league baseball out of high school.

He started having some kind of health issue and moved back to Birmingham. Was seeing doctors at UAB. Got an apartment near his mom’s house. He was found dead Sunday morning… They still didn’t know what was wrong with him. An autopsy is underway.

He’ll be buried with his dad’s people in another part of the state. I told my folks they weren't going… not in those words of course. They can't ride in a car for 3hrs, that means I can’t go, I have to keep an eye on them at all times or arrange for someone else to. In this case the people I would ask are already going to the funeral.

I only heard all of this today. I thought the kid was still playing baseball for the Barons, had no idea he was sick, no one tells me anything.

This is the 4th cousin I’ve lost in 5 months. What the heck is going on here?
crying  kk.gif

------------------------

Another slow day, mostly… decided not to spend the cash for a new guitar case. My old case is structurally sound so I carefully removed all the old duct tape from the edges and then the tape residue. Broke out the dremel tool next to clean latches, hinges, all the nooks and crannies. Next I used upholstery cleaner on the surfaces with a stiff nylon brush. I re-taped all the bad spots with black gorilla tape. Looks much better than old silver duct tape. I can live with it.

No plans for the evening but a little tv.

Last edited:
@Peanut - sorry for your loss, prayers for your family!

It feels like I've been offline forever, been super busy with work, chores & family. It's good to get on and see what everyone's up to.

I got the new position I was up for at work (OT manager, securing & supporting all the tech related to production at 13 plants all across north america). I'm phasing out the old responsibilities over the next 6-9 months, so it's been double duty a lot of days. It'll be rough for a while, but I'd much rather be supporting a welding machine or robotic arm than an accounting package any day. My boss is trying to talk me into relocating to the HQ in Vancouver, WA but that area is so expensive - anything with a decent amount of land within an hour of work would be so expensive, even with a cost of living adjustment thrown into the mix. .

Chore wise all sorts of extra fun has been coming this month with harvesting & preserving the bounty form our fruit trees and gardens, trying to keep 1 of my 3 cars running at any given point in time, and trying to figure out how to keep up with the rest of the household chores mostly singlehanded. Add physical therapy for my concussion and puppy training on top of all that and I'm definitely not bored! I've finally figured out some of the chores I was doing daily/weekly could be done weekly/monthly which has made life a lot more sane the last couple of days.

My kids have been spending a bunch of extra time with me which has been super sweet. My wife moved out about a month ago (it's complicated but amicable and honestly caught me dumbstruck), and my kids support has been a real blessing. Nothing is concrete about the situation right now, but I'd be a fool to bet against my very intelligent, strong & motivated wife not completing a road she started down. I'm just going with the flow these days & being grateful that God has seen fit to not leave me a lot of time to sit around and mope.

I hope everyone else is doing well and can't wait to hear what you all have been up to!

Oh wow, Peanut and TeeJ. Good thoughts to both of you.
Not a whole lot today...animal chores, garden work, went thru DVD's in storage with husband, and brought some in that are family friendly for us and little granddaughter. Got the hinges on the greenhouse door. Still need to plastic it and frame it. Talked to our New Mexico son about making growing boxes for the inside of the greenhouse, and we hashed out some ideas that I can handle doing on my own using T posts, chicken wire, and weed cloth. Picked more Big Jim peppers (that rellanos can be made out of), and set up the propane burner on the porch, roasted all the peppers in a basket, then steamed and peeled them. 4 quart bags of them for the freezer so far. Picked up burgers, fries, and shakes to have dinner with mom in her assisted living apartment. She decided to set the table for me, husband, and little granddaughter. Her centerpiece runner was a quilted pillowcase that she thought for sure was a runner that my grandma made about 100 yrs ago. I showed her that it was a pillowcase with a Martha Stewart tag. That was too funny. There's a community organ outside of mom's door into the common area, and one of the ladies likes to play church hymms loudly and drives mom nuts. She finished and little granddaughter got on it and played the theme to Star Wars. That was funny.Twins had "trauma therapy" appts at 6 pm...It's about 10 now, and still not home. They pulled the same stunt two weeks ago. I think I'll go to bed before I have to listen to untrue excuses.

It feels like I've been offline forever, been super busy with work, chores & family. It's good to get on and see what everyone's up to.

I got the new position I was up for at work (OT manager, securing & supporting all the tech related to production at 13 plants all across north america). I'm phasing out the old responsibilities over the next 6-9 months, so it's been double duty a lot of days. It'll be rough for a while, but I'd much rather be supporting a welding machine or robotic arm than an accounting package any day. My boss is trying to talk me into relocating to the HQ in Vancouver, WA but that area is so expensive - anything with a decent amount of land within an hour of work would be so expensive, even with a cost of living adjustment thrown into the mix. .

Chore wise all sorts of extra fun has been coming this month with harvesting & preserving the bounty form our fruit trees and gardens, trying to keep 1 of my 3 cars running at any given point in time, and trying to figure out how to keep up with the rest of the household chores mostly singlehanded. Add physical therapy for my concussion and puppy training on top of all that and I'm definitely not bored! I've finally figured out some of the chores I was doing daily/weekly could be done weekly/monthly which has made life a lot more sane the last couple of days.

My kids have been spending a bunch of extra time with me which has been super sweet. My wife moved out about a month ago (it's complicated but amicable and honestly caught me dumbstruck), and my kids support has been a real blessing. Nothing is concrete about the situation right now, but I'd be a fool to bet against my very intelligent, strong & motivated wife not completing a road she started down. I'm just going with the flow these days & being grateful that God has seen fit to not leave me a lot of time to sit around and mope.

I hope everyone else is doing well and can't wait to hear what you all have been up to!

Sounds like you are staying strong! Also glad your kids are being great kids! God has an amazing way of allowing us to get through life! 😊

Wingnut, I did the same thing. Went to take a nap and woke up too late to really do anything (not enough light to see in here-- really need to get electrical fixed).

Peanut, I'm so sorry about your cousin. Losing 4 in 5 months is definitely not good.

Teej, I hope your concussion mends soon.

I did get up briefly and cook for mom and then went back to bed. She wanted corned beef has. She likes eggs in it but the fridge is set too cold and the eggs were frozen. I thawed them out but the whites were tough.

I'm about to go back to bed for the night so I can try to be up in the morning. I am soaking my toilet seat in vinegar and baking soda to see if it will get more of the stains out. Hopefully it won't be ruined. Even if I can't get it back completely white, having it not look like a dark wood seat will be better.

I'm surprised I'm not more tired, woke up several times last night. Twice by thunder and once by beeping from something in the house and we still haven't figured out what. (Plus the normal 4-6 hot flashes that wake me up every single night.) If my son hadn't heard the beeping too I would have thought maybe I dreamed it. The smoke detector is brand new, we just replaced the old one like two months ago. The sound was like 4 or 5 double beeps, but not like an alarm or alert, more like when you forget something in the microwave and it beeps to gently remind you. The only thing I can think of is the weather station we got July, maybe that was beeping for some reason? Very weird.

It's very dark outside because of the rain, the drive in was not fun, saw one accident. Not sure how the car got into a 90 degree angle to the road on the highway on a straight bridge but didn't look too bad. Not really in the mood to work, not much to do today anyways. I would rather be busy though. 😒

Store run to resupply... need milk, eggs, beer, and a few other items. I also wanna check for apple cider with no preservatives, so I can try making hard cider. Need to check the local phone book & web for brewer's supply joints. Rained here, might be more on the way, so I'll be doing inside chores. I'm glad I cleaned up those weed & brush piles before the rain arrived. This will be a very nice yard once I'm all through with cleanup and wood burning... those pulled stumps are ugly, but each one represents a nice campfire, so I'm gonna try to burn 'em all before New Year's Day. :camping:

Filled a cart at Aldi today, and have spent some time this afternoon getting it organized. They had Butterball turkeys in, not at a great price, $1.59 lb. Bought two 20 something pounders, and they are defrosting in an icechest. I refuse to pay $4 a lb for awful lunchmeat, so this will be packaged for that, after it's cooked. And for turkey enchiladas, my favorite. A call from the principal today about little granddaughter. She is in school suspension for tomorrow, too. Had an argument with her best friend, who is half black/half white, and a mini activist. Told her best friend that her brothers are half black/half white, and she didn't believe her. The girl punched first, so little granddaughter wrung her neck. The prinicpal acted like it was a racial scuffle till I told him she has two brothers that are half black/half white, and race was not an issue here. I talked to her when she got home about escalating a fight....not a great idea. Meanwhile, both girls have made up and are best friends. Little granddaughter is scheduled to go to a special luncheon tomorrow, and it'll be interesting if they let her go. She was chosen out of the 6th graders for having great character and got an award. So tomorrow she'll be doing her schoolwork in the office at the desk of doom.

Latest posts

Back