What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just getting caught up on a lot of pages here! I am waaaaay behind! lol

Home with the 'vid and moving slow. The tricky thing is that my transplant son also has it. He's had some set-backs from his transplant (tough month, honestly) and still needs a lot of care, so the hospital has to work with him in an isolation unit. We just keep taking it a day at a time.

As I catch up on these threads, I am so saddened to read about all those folks who've lost loved ones. I pray for each of you, and for your families, and hold you in my heart.

Sorry to hear that @goshengirl hope everything settles down for your family. Sending peace and comfort your direction. Really sorry your son is suffering while trying to recover.
Expecting family tomorrow for a very short visit. It will be tearful but great to meet with them. We need it.
Someone was saying here that so many of us are losing family and friends. It is hard.
@Wingnut or was it @TeeJ thanks for posting pix of goatshead (?) whatever, awful weed. I've got similar, I call them grass burrs, but i think locals call them something else, stickers, burrweed, stickerweed. That looks like a great way to gather the little basstardis. The dog has learned how to pull them out of her feet with her teeth. Good dog. She also knows where not to walk. Wingnut, I hope you can keep ahead of the goatshead stickers.
Also going to be working on my Halloween costume this week.
Got some of my laundry done without leaving home. Washer didn't misbehave too badly.
@Peanut hope you can find someone to jam with.
@Bacpacker I bet it is beautiful out there.

@Bacpacker Jealous of you enjoying those leaves at a relaxed pace. You know what they say, a bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work. Congratulations on being Soc Sec eligible. I've got 2,102 more days before I can draw.

@goshengirl Take it easy while you have the vid and stay hydrated. Tea with lemon and honey was a constant for me when I had it. Prayers for you and your son.

@Patchouli I'll be with all my cousins for our annual Autumn Cousins Luncheon this weekend. There will be tears too but, more importantly, it will be raucous with laughter. Hoping yours is the same.

Today is a work day, but I am off the rest of the week, except for a meeting in the middle of the day tomorrow that someone scheduled without looking at my calendar or asking...

Looking forward to the rest of the week, have lots of plans including an outing with the wife on Thursday and a visit to Bambi land on Friday, the freezers have some space so the gloves are off. ;)

The data from the greenhouse is promising, last night it got down to 39F outside and the greenhouse got down to 50F.

Hopefully this will be a great week...

Happy Birthday, Bacpacker!!
The freeze has hit here, and I was still picking tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants around suppertime (that I needed to still cook) so the last few huge plants I just uprooted and threw the whole plants into the greenhouse. I won't get to them for the next few days, but oh well. Today is running the little girls to school, then animals (with partially frozen water, no fun), then housecleaning. Aunt Sylvia's daughter, a favorite cousin of mine (Wanda) will be coming by for a late lunch with her daughter, who just flew in yesterday for the funeral. I'll be lucky if I get the downstairs reasonably cleaned up, but they won't go upstairs. Will deal with the upstairs tomorrow because my sister from Florida will be coming in. Then two days of funeral. Tonight we have a parent teacher conference for little granddaughter. So we'll go to the amish restaurant for dinner, since it'll be late to start a dinner. So a no cooking day for me, except for husband's breakfast.

ROAD TRIP. LOL, Great way to spend my birthday. I'm eligible for Social Security now. :ghostly: :ghostly:

We spent all afternoon riving around thru the mountains. Colors are pretty good, but over all kind of a down year since it's been so dry. Had a great day.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY older brother!!😉 Glad you had a great day!!

Just getting caught up on a lot of pages here! I am waaaaay behind! lol

Home with the 'vid and moving slow. The tricky thing is that my transplant son also has it. He's had some set-backs from his transplant (tough month, honestly) and still needs a lot of care, so the hospital has to work with him in an isolation unit. We just keep taking it a day at a time.

As I catch up on these threads, I am so saddened to read about all those folks who've lost loved ones. I pray for each of you, and for your families, and hold you in my heart.
You know you are in our hearts!! Hope you feel better soon, and pray your son does too!!

Great way to spend my birthday
Happy belated Birthday!!!
He's had some set-backs
I'm sorry about the setbacks and hope your son recovers soon and completely!
I just uprooted and threw the whole plants into the greenhouse.
That was a great idea!

Today, I will walk first and then walk dogs.
Weed eat in garden.
Call senior club members about meeting on Thursday.
Find recipes to make for senior club.
Research our County Judge candidates.

I am starting my Peanut Butter (photo in profile) on glucosamine as she is starting to have trembly back legs. Not sure if it will help, but I will update as we progress.

Happy belated Birthday!!!

I'm sorry about the setbacks and hope your son recovers soon and completely!

That was a great idea!

Today, I will walk first and then walk dogs.
Weed eat in garden.
Call senior club members about meeting on Thursday.
Find recipes to make for senior club.
Research our County Judge candidates.

I am starting my Peanut Butter (photo in profile) on glucosamine as she is starting to have trembly back legs. Not sure if it will help, but I will update as we progress.
How old is PB?

Got the next few days off so I'm hitting the car shopping thing pretty hard. Used cars that get good gas mileage are going insane for price and are getting worse by the day. I looked at a little Toyota Matrix, 2006, with 130K miles on it yesterday after work. It had some dings on it but they still wanted $8800! I thought that was nuts, but then I looked around on the internet at other cars just like it and found out that they're right on the average for that year and model. Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay a little more...

Weeding! Should be easy because the ground is still damp... already fed the wild birds, and no watering necessary! Gonna put adhesive nonskid strips in one bathtub this morning, as my foot slipped in that tub the other day and I want to make it safer. I already have the nonskid strips, same way I have many materials waiting in my 'War Room'---that's the smaller third bedroom where I currently keep tools and materials arranged in a horseshoe configuration around the walls so I can easily access whatever I need for whichever task I'm handling at the time. Later, when I'm done with the home rehab work, I'll store leftover materials in the larger metal shed... tools will go into the tall work cabinet in the mud room, except for those tools I routinely carry in the trunk of my car. ;)

Later, sometime after lunch, I'll tinker with the thermostat again, maybe I can get it to work properly and I won't have to swap it out just yet. I liked the advice given by site members in that other thread, and I'd like to get rid of the "mercury switch" BS, get something a little more reliable and up-to-date. :confused:

Gotta pick up Zorlac from the shelter this evening, he's being neutered sometime this morning, poor guy... but that will help him settle down and become a better house pet, and he won't be spraying in my home either, don't need that! He's not a bad little cat, I think he'll make a fine house tiger once he's a bit older... and the torn-up Chinese Walmart curtains can be replaced once ALL the kittens settle down, lol. :oops:

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to a relaxing day, just puttering around the property and getting a few things done... and sharing quality time with the cats! Crackhead was playing with the kittens this morning, I was out in the yard and he was chasing the kittens around, and vice versa! So that's good progress! Both older cats are now more relaxed around the kittens... only took 2-1/2 months, lol. But these kittens are hyper, I've never seen kittens more active... or maybe I'm just getting older and they SEEM more hyper, lol. Meh, they'll be good house panthers once they're all fixed and they settle down a bit... just takes time! Gotta continue their "survival training" so they can deal with the great wide world outdoors! Good thing there have been no large hawks round this immediate neighborhood lately, the kittens will have better odds of survival once they're a bit older. Whenever I let 'em out, I walk out with 'em and look up at the sky to make sure no hawk is on the hunt for a meal. Buzzards aren't a threat, but large hawks are... :rolleyes:

Edit: A few pics of my 'War Room'---think I'll straighten it up a bit before the big push to finish the interior home rehab work. I just tossed that cardboard propane torch box in the trash bin, so that's a start, lol. Also, it looks like my original 'horseshoe configuration' is a bit cluttered, I can move that box into the nearby closet and tidy things up a bit in this room, which will eventually become a den or spare bedroom. Don't really need a den, since I hang out in the 'Great Room' area so much... in the living room with my home theater, the dining room where I sit at the table and use my laptop, and the bar area where I mix drinks or occasionally load bong hits, lol. :cool:

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

P.S. Home inspectors (kittens) say: "Get this mess cleaned up pronto! First drop and give me 50 push-ups!!!" :(

Last edited:
My shoulder hurts bad enough I am contemplating a trip to the doctor...but I will wait one more day. Husband had to put my hair up today and it took him some time since he has never done anything like it lol!
We are already burning wood , usually this doesn't happen until November. I hope it warms up again

I am sort of depressed. Seems like husband and myself are trading injuries back and forth , one of us seem to always be hurting and then the other one has to do most of the farm work. Son has tests every week and studying so he is not here much to help. I am wondering how much longer we can keep farming as we are now. And it's not heavy lifting that is doing it, its walking too much on our steep road and pastures , pulling weeds, pulling hay off a round bale, shoveling manure/gravel/dirt etc. I exercised a lot my whole life and do yoga regularly. I am not much overweight either ( maybe 10 lbs) and I am not even 60 yet, so you would think I wouldn't have structural problems like this already. How in the world are 80 year old farmers still doing that?
Husband has always had sort of weak ankles so that's his problem but my shoulder is new. I never had any injuries there or previous problems

Cleaning house
Schooling the kids
Same old same old

I ordered 3 new rabbit cages today. I got 'real' cages that are similar in size to the hutches just made out of wire. The company is about a 100 miles from us and they allow you to pick up your order once it is done for free. That will save me the shipping fees which would be about the same as the price of one cage! With possibly 3 does pregnant I know I needed cages to hold grow outs. The 3 cages I have were not enough for the grow outs we had in the spring. Good thing the new ones are deeper, taller and longer! They might even be bigger than the hutches but without the security the hutches have with wood walls and frame.

I also ordered some more LTFS. Not much but I got an email about a flash sale on #10 cans of mac'n'cheese. I ordered some fruit as well to fill some gaps. But I have to stay focused on saving for the move next November. With all the legal changes Kommiefornia is enacting over the next few years we will not be able to stay another year even if we wanted to.

Wild time for the local cops last night. Started with a hit and run about 4 30 pm. After a car chase he wrecked and got away on foot. Then he stole a car and the chase resumed. He wrecked again and stole another car, got away again and wrecked again and was finally caught on foot. He shot at the cops at least twice. This was in a very sparsely populated area. At the end, he had deputies from 3 counties, one city cop and the MHP chasing him. They restrained and did not shoot him. After the chase some of the officers stopped at the truck stop where my stepson works. He would not let them pay for coffee.
Charged today, no bond

• Assault 1st degree
• Two counts of Armed Criminal Action
• Two counts of Unlawful Use of a Weapon
• Two counts of Assault 2nd degree
• Unlawful Possession of a Firearm
• Receiving Stolen Property
• Two counts of Tampering with a Motor Vehicle
• Trafficking Drugs or Attempt 1st Degree
• Resisting Arrest

@Bacpacker Happy birthday!

@goshengirl I hope your family has brighter and healthier days soon!

@snappy1 We had good luck with glucosamine that we gave to my big dogs when they got older. They both moved better after taking it for a couple months. My little dog was on it too but we discontinued it during his health decline. This is a good reminder for me to ask the vet if it's ok to start giving it to him again.

Been busy at work, I was literally working on the same spreadsheet since yesterday morning and I just finished about an hour ago. My brain feels fried. Went fishing on Sat, it was beautiful out and had a great time even though I only caught one fish and DH got none. Sunday I was really tired for some reason, but went grocery shopping, went to my parents' to visit and do chores then came home and cleaned out the small truck. There was a bunch of tools and such in there that I moved elsewhere, gave it a quick vacuum and we even put the cap back on it. A friend's son is in need of a vehicle (he just totaled his car) so we're giving them the truck. It runs but it's not pretty or comfortable but beggars can't be choosers. I think DH is dropping it off there tonight so one less vehicle (and truck cap!) in my yard.

Still feel tired today, not sure why. It started on Sunday, but I'm not sleeping any different. I'm hoping it's the dreary weather and I'll feel better tomorrow when the sun's out.

Thanks everybody.
Woke up about 4 colder than I've been in a while. We keep the house cool at night so didn't think much about it. Figured it was just since I only had a sheet on. But couldn't get back to sleep and realized heater in the camper wasn't working. It would turn on for about 30 seconds and turn back off, furnace never lit. Fooled with the thermostat and nothing. Got the manual out, nothing. By 8 I started calling the dealer, finally got thru to tech support. They said some switch is bad. Scheduled someone to call me back about repairs. Still haven't heard a peep. But in the meantime I turned the thermostat up to 90 and cycled thru off/cool/heat a few times. Nothing. Finally decided to lay down for a bit. While I dozed it came on and has been running since, cycles just fine.
I did go to a wallyworld and picked upb2 small ceramic heaters for back up.

Thanks everybody.
Woke up about 4 colder than I've been in a while. We keep the house cool at night so didn't think much about it. Figured it was just since I only had a sheet on. But couldn't get back to sleep and realized heater in the camper wasn't working. It would turn on for about 30 seconds and turn back off, furnace never lit. Fooled with the thermostat and nothing. Got the manual out, nothing. By 8 I started calling the dealer, finally got thru to tech support. They said some switch is bad. Scheduled someone to call me back about repairs. Still haven't heard a peep. But in the meantime I turned the thermostat up to 90 and cycled thru off/cool/heat a few times. Nothing. Finally decided to lay down for a bit. While I dozed it came on and has been running since, cycles just fine.
I did go to a wallyworld and picked upb2 small ceramic heaters for back up.
Does the furnace hace a error LED on the main control board? If so it may be flashing a fault code about what is wrong.

When the furnace in my place tried to start but stopped it was due to a flow sensor gone bad. The induction fan (drives air through combustion chamber) would come on but since the sensor failed to signal the dlow it shutdown attempts to start.

Another time the igniter had failed. Similar but observation showed the igniter never started to flow red.

Another time the induction fan had failed.

Since those events I now have a box and spare parts next to the furnace so I don't have ro wait for parts to be delivered.

Ben

Taking a break after a productive day... got a lot done in the yard, put down the nonskid strips in the bathtub, did all my regular household chores, still gotta pick up Zorlac at 1930 hours, otherwise I believe I'm done for the day, work-wise. The yard work alone was sufficient, I am so pleased at how good the yard is looking nowadays! Next weeding season should be easy compared to this one! :cool:

P.S. I simply eyeballed the nonskid strip placement, I ain't gonna waste time measuring gaps between strips, lol. Meh, they look okay, I'm more concerned about safety after my foot slipped the other day... didn't tell y'all then, but I banged my ankle pretty hard when that slip occurred. My cosmic cue to get those nonskid strips down before I broke my friggin' neck in the tub, lol. Here's a shot of the 18 adhesive nonskid strips in my second bathroom tub... ;)

IMG_0280.JPG

There's some glare from the flash, but I reckon this placement will work just fine... :)

Last edited:
Today was all greenhouse related.

20221018_163535_HDR.jpg

New LED grow lights installed. Seedling starting mat on along with a space heater.

I also moved all of the rigid foam insulation to the second kitchen in preparation for installing insulation in the roof. Pray for my well being because The Princess hasn't seen the insulation blocking access to the stove yet. :rolleyes:

Ben

Taking a break after a productive day... got a lot done in the yard, put down the nonskid strips in the bathtub, did all my regular household chores, still gotta pick up Zorlac at 1930 hours, otherwise I believe I'm done for the day, work-wise. The yard work alone was sufficient, I am so pleased at how good the yard is looking nowadays! Next weeding season should be easy compared to this one! :cool:

P.S. I simply eyeballed the nonskid strip placement, I ain't gonna waste time measuring gaps between strips, lol. Meh, they look okay, I'm more concerned about safety after my foot slipped the other day... didn't tell y'all then, but I banged my ankle pretty hard when that slip occurred. My cosmic cue to get those nonskid strips down before I broke my friggin' neck in the tub, lol. Here's a shot of the 18 adhesive nonskid strips in my second bathroom tub... ;)

View attachment 96173

There's some glare from the flash, but I reckon this placement will work just fine... :)
It won't trigger my OCD, so it's good :D

Cold outside, time for some heat which meant… I have only 2 wall mount space heaters for this half of the duplex. A small 3-brick unit in the laundry and a 5-brick unit for the my living area (950sqft).

I broke out the shop vac and cleaned both heaters, blew them out first then vacuumed up all the debris. I just keep the pilot light on in the laundry, fired it up for the winter. It keeps the dampness out of the air. On very cold nights I’ll turn one brick on, keeps the laundry from getting below 50.

Got my heat going too, actually turned a single brick about dark. Feels pretty good tonight. My house sits into a hillside so the temperature is pretty stable.

I got some steaks, wings and catfish vacuum sealed and in the freezer. No plans now but a little tv...

Looked at 5 cars today. 3 weren't what we wanted. 1 was almost the one, a 2013 Toyota Corolla with 113K miles, but it's too expensive for what it is and it's really loud inside when you're going down the highway. The last one is probably great, a 2011 Toyota Rav4 with 136K miles, but it isn't as good on gas as I'd like. Nothing has jumped out at me and said, "I'm the one, take me home!" So, the search continues...

Did a small loop around town after lunch of errands. Ran some packages to the post office. Then to the feed store to get a bag of rabbit feed more to check the price than because of any real need. No price change. I did get it tax free since I paid cash. Love the days the owner is there! Dropped off an Amazon return at UPS then went across the parking lot to the grocery store. Whole chickens for $1.49 a lb! I grabbed 3. I will clean them and cut the wings off before resealing them for the freezer. The gibblets and wings are saved for the dogs. It will help stretch dog food.

My order of orchard grass seed arrived today. I will be planting a small plot of timothy and orchard grass to use as hay to cut costs before the move. I forgot to price hay bales when I was at the feed store but I more than likely will need one before the seed is planted.

For the most part just cleaning, purging junk, selling what I can and donating the rest.

Well going to the doctor today. I can now add potential Lyme disease to my injured shoulder....found a tick on my back yesterday and it has a large round weird looking area around it. One of my Amish neighbors has Lyme ( she didn't know when she got bit ) and from the symptoms she described it's not fun. I think you have to take an antibiotic right after you get bit to avoid it. So wish me luck.....

It's still freezing out, just started the wood stove

Well that stinks, Sonya. I hope you don't have lyme. Must be shoulder day, husband has his shoulder appt, too. He tore his.
More house cleaning today, and will get little granddaughter early from school. Then off to the airport to pick up my sis and off to pick up mom and then to Aunt Sylvia's viewing. Mom called me yesterday and does not remember Sylvia at all.

Latest posts

Back