What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just another day in the office but I did get a surprise text from a plumber and he is actually doing the drain and vents for the house today which is perfect as I did the stub out pipe in the basement on Saturday when my new shiny Massey Ferguson was delivered. Backhoe made short work of that digging.

The missing neighbor we got our hay from finally called me. They are back for a day or so, clearing the old house. We went and got the rest of their hay from them and found out why the entire more modern Amish moved. Turns out a bunch of families further down the road moved out also. He told us they had "religious differences" with the old Amish and they all found it easier to just move. Wow. So they sold their properties to the old Amish. They must have a lot of money....
Good thing we get along with both groups.
So today was a busy day getting and putting up square bales. Son helped thankfully.

Tomorrow will be worse, we have to go see the accountant about our taxes, find a fed ex place to return the wrong boots, go to the bank and get some more cash and move some funds around before they close down....and go shopping
Debating on if I should take the puppy along. We will be gone for a long time and son has school.
Goats are due any day now also but we do have to make this trip. We'll leave everyone in the barn since it is also going to be really cold all day, below freezing.

Jeez, these town runs sure eat up time... but I wanted to compare tree prices at Lowe's and the Depot, I'm gonna buy an apple tree for one sunny area in my yard. Picked up bags of soil and conditioner today, so they are on hand for imminent planting of various crops. Scored more beer, and everything I need for dinner on St. Patrick's Day... should be mighty tasty! I really only eat corned beef & cabbage once per year, but I like to do it right with all the extra ingredients like Baby Reds, lol. I'll make a large pot of that stew and eat from it for several days. Chillin' out now with a cold beer, those town runs in "traffic" always seem to burn more time than expected. I don't like being rushed as I shop either, I take my sweet time and compare everything so I know I'm getting the best deal... cheap b@stard that I am, lol. ;)

Worked on taxes all day.
Road washed out, not sure how I'm going to get out for work tomorrow. Its supposed to get down to 28 so if it freezes, I should get out ok. I'm on for 8 days and will be staying at a colleagues house in town while my hubs works on the road.

Today was busy but unplanned. This morning dad was taking mom to a doctors appmt. He got her in the car. By the time he walked around and got in… she’d lost consciousness. He drove to my door. By the time I got outside she’d come to, was coherent. Since getting her into or out of a car is an ordeal I told dad to just drive her to the er, I’d follow as soon as I got dressed. Before they got to the end of the driveway she started throwing up. He brought her back and I called the ambulance. She’s still in the ER, no news yet, 1900hrs. Don’t know if they are going to keep her overnight or ?.

Since I had to go to town… and I had some excess cash in my checking account that I planned to move. I bought 6months supply of livestock, chicken and dog feed. Spent another $500 on pantry items I’d have purchased anyway. Laid in extra medical supplies too. So if my bank crashes tomorrow, eh, who cares?

Oh, stopped by my neighbors house on the way home. I was getting curious when he planned to slaughter my bull he’s had at his place since New Years. I was in no hurry, didn’t need the meat. He wanted my bull to bred his 2 heifers, get a couple calves out of the deal…. He said he planned to process the bull weekend after next, guess I’ll be busy.

Also, my neighbor caught 400lbs of catfish over the weekend. He gave me 10lbs, already processed and frozen, refused money… a good neighbor! :)

They’re keeping mom over night at the hosp. She called me from the room, sounded fine. Dad won’t let me come get him (shouldn’t drive at all much less at night). He’s gonna stay with mom, they brought him a big recliner. Man is asleep in a recliner every time I stop by to check on them. He can sleep anywhere!

Just conspired with mom’s sister, planning how we’re gonna get them to keep her another day. Calling her primary care doc first thing. That lady will insist on mom staying another day or 3.

Both parents are safe and at the hospital… guess I can finally think of dinner. That Sonic chili dog at lunch wasn’t enough. :)

Last edited:
My buddy purchased a topside creeper for work on our N-scale model railroad. He didn't like it it being uncomfortable and having to hold his head up. It is in his barn last time I saw it.

Ben
That is an accurate assessment. I worked from a step stool in front for a bit but to reach the back 4 fuel lines I had to lie on the bench I set up. I got the job done but my robs and neck hurt afterwards. Most of the rest was working from the step stool, except the back 3 fuel lines. It helped and was needed but it wasn’t comfortable.

Now I am going to bed, but just had the great cat food conundrum!! So I fed the two outside cats by the backdoor. One of the local toms showed up, but hauled butt when Bear and I went to the door. The girls left, the tom ran, and a (an?) opossum swoops in for cat food! So I tell bear to wait, and I stick the CO2 pistol out the door and open fire on the opossum. Oops, hit it in the eye, and it sat at the end of Bear's yard, outside the fence to take care of it's face! So I threw a rock at it to make it go away so Bear would pee and I can go to bed!! Now I can't sleep because I feel horrible about hurting the opossum! POO!!
That poor opossum. Hope it isn't a female with babies in the pouch. My heart is broken for that opossum.

I carry solomon's seal, poke, sweetleaf, yarrow, passion flwr, vervain, crossvine, lions mane, sida, elder, yellowroot and usnea. 12 in number, 10 directly help my health issues. 2 are extra anti-viral/biotics. 5 of the others are also great anti-viral/biotics but I take them for other reasons. Plants are amazing, they can treat very different issues at the same time.

The case sits in the kitchen. I might not take any of them for days. I take the case with me sometimes to the big town or when I might be out for several hours. Cfs can flare anytime.

Like when I took my guitar to tn last fall. I knew I might be gone a few days so I took 2nd small case. It had extra bottles of high dosage tinctures and a few more goodies.

As it happened I was an hour into that trip when I did get the flu. Those tinctures were responsible for being able to drive home the next day. It was a nasty flu bug and they held it at bay. Cfs goes into overdrive at any major stressor. The trip was going to take a huge toll, require 7-10 days of rest when I got back home. But the flu added on top? Without those tinctures I'd have been flat of my back in tn, unable to come home. Cost me $$$ in hotel bills. And there's nothing worse than a hotel when you're sick.

I hope it'll never be necessary but with those 12 tinctures could handle a wide range of very serious health issues... even injuries like broken bones, snake bite and penetration wounds. But weekly they help me deal with cfs, old age and old injures. Also kicks flu/colds butt. I didn't even know I had the vid until my nose went wonky after the fact.
Peanut,
I use homeopathic meds on the wildlife in my care. They are amazing.

Up early and will walk first.
Doc appt. at 8 for follow up regular appt.
Pick up my friend and go to thrift shop.
Stop at O'Reilly's to pick up dashboard dimmer switch.
Bank for cash.
Aldi, then Walmart and home.
Walk dogs.

I hope your mom stays in hospital another day or so to find out what happened @Peanut !

That poor opossum. Hope it isn't a female with babies in the pouch. My heart is broken for that opossum.
We have a little girl opossum that we raised from a tiny baby that was orphaned. Tried to let her loose a few times but she just follows us back and comes in the dog door. So, she is family. They can be bad if you have chickens but they sure are cute and friendly when tame.

Getting stuff done around the house today, but first, driving the neighbor girl to amish school. Little granddaughter has spring break today. Hoping to transplant my cabbage, broccoli, and lettuce starts in bigger pots. The meeting at child services is this evening. Will be dropping off little granddaugher at my favorite cousins before the meeting and she can play with her cousins. Crossing our fingers that the meeting goes well. Otherwise, it's 89 more days.

Getting stuff done around the house today, but first, driving the neighbor girl to amish school. Little granddaughter has spring break today. Hoping to transplant my cabbage, broccoli, and lettuce starts in bigger pots. The meeting at child services is this evening. Will be dropping off little granddaugher at my favorite cousins before the meeting and she can play with her cousins. Crossing our fingers that the meeting goes well. Otherwise, it's 89 more days.
Good luck, hope they get to move on, get the drugs and BS out of your house!! Let us know!!

Made it back from my trip in 1 piece, glad to be off the road. Very uneventful other than hitting a lot of snow Sunday evening just east of Vale, CO and spending the night in a Wendy's parking lot since the hotels were sold out. Was glad to make it to my own bed last night. I can't imagine catching up on the forum, but I hope everyone's doing well and @Peanut prayers for your mom!

Made it back from my trip in 1 piece, glad to be off the road. Very uneventful other than hitting a lot of snow Sunday evening just east of Vale, CO and spending the night in a Wendy's parking lot since the hotels were sold out. Was glad to make it to my own bed last night. I can't imagine catching up on the forum, but I hope everyone's doing well and @Peanut prayers for your mom!
Glad you are home! Nothing fun about sleeping in a parking lot!

We have a little girl opossum that we raised from a tiny baby that was orphaned. Tried to let her loose a few times but she just follows us back and comes in the dog door. So, she is family. They can be bad if you have chickens but they sure are cute and friendly when tame.
She is imprinted on humans. She sees human as her species. she will never survive in the wild.

Prayers for you and husband that the twins will no longer be living with you and tormenting you after today!

They’re keeping mom over night at the hosp. She called me from the room, sounded fine. Dad won’t let me come get him (shouldn’t drive at all much less at night). He’s gonna stay with mom, they brought him a big recliner. Man is asleep in a recliner every time I stop by to check on them. He can sleep anywhere!

Just conspired with mom’s sister, planning how we’re gonna get them to keep her another day. Calling her primary care doc first thing. That lady will insist on mom staying another day or 3.

Both parents are safe and at the hospital… guess I can finally think of dinner. That Sonic chili dog at lunch wasn’t enough. :)
Prayers for all of you. This has to be rough to be going through.

Hope your mom feels better Peanut.
Amish hope the long, difficult saga is nearing an end!
Had fieldwork today, roads weren't the best but got through all right. Had trouble staying awake on the way back. Really hate the damned time change.
Some of my seeds have sprouted, hope to plant more over the next few days.

Peanut, I hope your mom will be OK. Sending hugs and good vibes.

Got my blood taken (bit of a run around bc the new people at my doctor's office forgot they take blood there and it's cheaper than at the hospital so they sent me to the hospital who called doctor's office and sent me back over). Hospital rate $218. Doctor's office rate $89. I prefer the nurse over at doctor's office anyway. She always gets it on the first try and holds the needle still while drawing.

Took truck to get CV axle replaced. Still making weird noises but drives better. Put seafoam in the gas tank and filled it up. Cooked for Mom & took a nap.

I normally get very anxious before having blood drawn but I was calmer this time. Got a little anxious when she was poking at my arm with her fingers trying to find a good vein, but I didn't have my usual anxiety. I don't get anxiety often, but I hate needles and waiting for blood to be drawn usually gets my bp up.

Saw a guy I knew in the 80s (when he was a kid) with down's syndrome while I was at the doctor's office. He was shaking hands with people and he recognized me (even though its been over a decade) so he hugged me. He is such a sweetheart.

Was planning to take a shower at friend's house but his water heater busted and its the city's fault (it was outdoors on a stand & they broke a water main that flooded his yard and messed up the stand somehow- made it tip over & the heater fell).

Currently snuggled up with kitties and enjoying the cool air. Today it was clear. Yesterday the air was full of smoke.

Well, dad brought mom home from the hosp. this afternoon. Then an old man who never wears his hearing aids and a woman with dementia explained to me what the doctor said… So your guess is as good as mine as to what exactly happened.

But dad had the doctor write down the word on paper for me… syncope, a sudden drop in blood pressure to the noggin, people faint. What caused it?… numerous possibilities. But her gp seemed to think it was okay to send her home. Still wearing a heart monitor though. All I can do now is keep an eye on the situation.

I spent today doing laundry, got caught up on dishes. Put away some of the pantry items I bought yesterday. The rest are sitting on the floor. Should’ve bought a new shelving unit while I was out. I always need more shelf space. But now I'm running out of space to put new shelves in.

Latest posts

Back