What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dressing is cooked in a pan separate from the bird. Stuffing is STUFFED into the bird. Not that hard to understand. Of course, tasting is convincing.

Those Food Network ā€œchefsā€ also did a fantastic job of convincing people that stuffing a bird is dangerous for your health.
Can be if you do not precook or cook it right.
Just like home canning can dangerous if you do not follow the rules
We have never had a problem, but not everyone obeys the rules.

Market today , sold a ton of veggies, all the eggs and bread, but not a lot of meat. Probably because it was 90 degrees outside
Just did some laundry and now it's raining ( a little) , nothing on the weather radar figures!
We took the new vehicle to the market to see if we could fit everything in. We had to combine 2 coolers but everything else fit, so we now have a functional backup

and helped prepare 2 casseroles, and the sink is full again... You couldn't pay me to be a housewife! Those people work way too hard... ;)
You would really hate my life...
Baked bread all day yesterday and did the dishes that come along with it ( piles of them)
But I like baking bread:) And sold all of it today

This morning canned 10 pints thick picante sauce. Husband always complains too hot, mild, or runny. Last 10 pints were too runny. Got 7 quartā€™s potatoes in canner now. Probably few pints potatoes next. Dug several hundred pounds so will try to preserve and eat before spoilage.
Is there a good way to store them long term other than canning? We used all ours up before they went bad last year but this year we have way more and I really don't like canned potatoes.

@Wingnut so inquiring minds want to know- is Hatch chili šŸŒ¶ļø a variety of chili or a brand name. If a variety, are they a hot chili? If so, are you up for some seed saving?

Yo, LL, I meant to answer your question earlier, I could easily mail some pepper seeds to you in a regular envelope, since pepper seeds are so small. Do ya reckon the seeds will still be viable after being in the fridge? If so, I'll save some... if not, I'll buy a fresh Hatch Chile or two and save THOSE seeds, aye? Albertson's has a sale on Hatch Chiles right now, so they're plentiful & cheap, and I still have a bunch of stamps left over from the latest mailing of newspaper clippings to my friend in Coronado. PM your mailing address if you want some Hatch Chile seeds... šŸŒ¶ļø

Right now, I'm waiting for my Southwest-style chicken & rice dish to cook in the conventional oven... I already ate a nice green salad, so when the chicken & rice is ready I can load up a plate and mack. I had a quiet restful afternoon, no heavy partying or anything, though I did buy a can of Bacardi Pina Colada Mixer at the store yesterday, lol. I'm not in the mood for Pina Coladas right now, but I might be manana... or sometime next week. Here's a shot of the mixer can, it was in one of the frozen food aisles... haven't tried this mixer out of a can before, so I'm gonna give it a day in court. šŸ˜’

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

Plenty o' rum left too, so no worries... I'll make a blender full o' Pina Coladas sometime in the near future! šŸ¹ šŸ§‰ šŸ¹

P.S. I just noticed that Bacardi was founded in 1862, exactly 100 years prior to my birth year. That has to be some sorta cosmic sign, lol... šŸ˜‰

Last edited:
We got 2 more casseroles made today, they were chicken broccoli/cauliflower and rice. We now have 7 in the freezer, one in the fridge which we are eating and the wife has suggested that we need 4 more 8X8 stainless steel pans.

She did dishes today and made the casseroles, after dinner I went to the bathroom and when I came out I found her in the hall, head against the wall, sleeping standing up...

FYI we had chicken tortilla casserole, spinach, lettuce, beets, radishes, and cucumbers from the garden for dinner...

Are you counting down to retirement yet?
I've been counting down for a year now. If I'd had my crap together I would have left 2 years ago. As it is early 2026 is gonna be it for me. Just not in the cards to make it happen any sooner.
BELIEVE me I have looked at many various options. But bottom line I've got to get things to a certain point so the wife could get by if something happens to me.

I want to apologize to yall for all the whining last night. Had a bad day and released a horrible vent.

Worked today and gotta go in again tomorrow. Gonna be a long week next week. Got home and picked a bucket of cukes, maters, and peppers between storms.
It is what it is man, we're all friends here. One does what they must, sometimes b1tching about something is all we have. you'll get it bro, keep fighting!

Today we moved the young ducks and the new chick's to the chicken coop. The male ducks wouldn't leave the young female ducks alone. So we put the adult male ducks out in the garden. Had the vet come out and check out the new horse.
The wife is putting everyone to bed right now. I'm just sitting on the back deck enjoying the evening. High temp was 78 today with a nice breeze blowing. The horse is out grazing in the pasture next to the garden. From here, everything is looking good in the world.

Today we moved the young ducks and the new chick's to the chicken coop. The male ducks wouldn't leave the young female ducks alone. So we put the adult male ducks out in the garden. Had the vet come out and check out the new horse.
The wife is putting everyone to bed right now. I'm just sitting on the back deck enjoying the evening. High temp was 78 today with a nice breeze blowing. The horse is out grazing in the pasture next to the garden. From here, everything is looking good in the world.

I want to apologize to yall for all the whining last night. Had a bad day and released a horrible vent.

Worked today and gotta go in again tomorrow. Gonna be a long week next week. Got home and picked a bucket of cukes, maters, and peppers between storms.
Ok, you have to weedwhack as punishment!!šŸ˜‰

So the lady that had some nice hay and we got a few ( just 20) bales of hay, small square bales, texted me Thursday that they were cutting hay and planned on baling it Friday. She wanted to know if we wanted to come get some. I didn't see the text till right before the big thunderstorm and texted here that there was a severe thunderstorm warning and hope the hay doesn't get ruined. Didn't hear back from here until last night , read the text just now. Now she says the hay didn't get cut till Friday and didn't get rained on and they baled it yesterday. So now I am wondering if that is true, or she is trying to sell me crappy hay.......I guess we will go get a little to see. If the hay got that much rain it would not have dried this fast I imagine?

Today I am going to do the rest of the laundry, clean the house and bake pretzels. I am going to see if I can back good enough once to sell at the market.

I have a little more clean up to do before church.

I'm trying to get this infection out of my system so I started drinking cranberry juice and a little more water. This morning I had 8oz of juice with 20oz of water with my toast and meds. I will let that pass before I take the antibiotics. I've been drinking about 24 oz of juice and 140 oz of water each day hoping to wash the toxins out of my system.

I was in the process of replacing my truck with a new on when my BIL said, hey I retired from them, I can get you a discount... That put everything on hold for at least a week and I think they sold the truck I wanted, can't expect them to wait on slow me. Sometimes I just get discouraged, it seems like every aspect of my life has some sort of complications going on right now.

Dreading this week at work, got a report last week that was just really poor quality. Have to talk to the author this week and explain why I will be ending his funding this year. But that will mean that I will have to talk to management about the quality issues and that could effect other work that they were being asked to do by the office..... Staff wise I am in the same boat as @Bacpacker, lots of people taking lots of time off with deadlines and deliverables pressing ahead. It does make one grumpy.....

Last edited:
Sorry youā€™re having to work today @Bacpacker and never mind about whining. Nobody noticed it like that. Just a place to vent. I think getting out to the garden helped ya too. Do you take some of your excess produce to work?
I donā€™t know what Iā€™m going to do about work. I canā€™t stop working for a while yet (or ever), but last week kicked me, oh wait, every week kicks me.
And it is important to make sure things are set up well enough in the event of accidents, serious illness and death, too soon or later.

Sorry youā€™re having to work today @Bacpacker and never mind about whining. Nobody noticed it like that. Just a place to vent. I think getting out to the garden helped ya too. Do you take some of your excess produce to work?
I donā€™t know what Iā€™m going to do about work. I canā€™t stop working for a while yet (or ever), but last week kicked me, oh wait, every week kicks me.
And it is important to make sure things are set up well enough in the event of accidents, serious illness and death, too soon or later.
Yeah I've been bring in a bucket of stuff the last few weeks. Cukes and maters are slowing down though.
The stuff we are doing this weekend needed to be done when there are very few people on site. Less to deal with and less chance of an issue coming up where we'd be in the way. As it turns out, other than crews that are staffed 24/7 looks like we are the only ones here.

Back