What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have a therapy cooler full of your favorite beverages and snacks?
How about a therapy ball bat for that dildohead HH loser? One must
consider such things. When I feel the sting of gout coming on, I move a
cooler full of drinks,a box of pop-top food, and plastic cutlery next to
the bed. and a wide mouth Jug to whiz in. saves everybody trouble.
Yes, I have my therapy cooler.........oops, you were asking winds-of-change!!

Well that was a waste of time!

The Princess made her dislike multiple times this weekend about half of the under cabinet lighting not working. So improving her lighting became my top priority.

At one point I got the lights to stop flashing by fiddling with the dimmer. So I ASSUMED the dimmer was bad. So I jumpered across the dimmer since we have no need for a dimmer.

20231023_142503_HDR.jpg

I was wrong! After some more investigation I determined the wall wort was the cause of the flashing. Since the under cabinet lighting consists of two identical sets I was able to get the faulty lights to work using the other wall wort, switch, and dimmer I tried to splice together the two strings of lights to run from the good wall wort string.

20231023_160007_HDR.jpg

Success!

Cost me time but The Princess should be happy.

So I moved on to the retired shower stall that now sports a new 10 shelf shelving unit she has been starting to populate.

20231023_160145.jpg

Definitely dark in there. I was gather the components to add an outlet for a four foot LED fixture and...

Then I noticed that the under cabinet LEDs were all flashing now! Oh bother.

So back to Amazon to re-order the same set I had ordered exactly 6 years ago this month. Of course they are no longer available. I did order another flavor of the under counter lighting.

So I have a story to tell The Princess but she will have to put up with strobe lights over the sink for now.

Ben

Got home yesterday around 4pm after a short trip out of state. Loaded up the last of the cattle, had dinner and then went to bed.
This morning I went to town for physical therapy. She decided that the pain in my shoulder was coming from my neck. She put some kind of noose around my neck and pulled and tugged. The pain eventually went away. Still doesn't hurt. She worked on my lower back some too. Sounded like one of the bones was fused. I'll go back again next week.
Today I finished putting up the last of the wire on the new chicken run.
The wife has completely spoiled the horse. She gives him carrots twice a day and grain every morning and night. Once the weather turns I'll bring him up closer to the house.

ABR: update on the calf? Hope it is ok

We were busy today. Put the does with the goat bucks, bucks were happy, girls peed, buck made "goat boy" face and peed on himself....LOL you have to love the goats

Went to the court house to get something notarized what a hassle that was and still is, don't ask
Went shopping at farm store ( grain) , TSP and Walmart. We had 2 carts at walmart. This is what happens when you only buy a few things on the way to and from somewhere else, you run out of stuff. I have been using our stored food and not replacing, which is ok, keeps me from not rotating properly but we were down to the last 20 lb bag of rice and out of some things completely
I hate not having a milk goat!!!! ( she is dried up for the year) now I have to buy store milk

It's adorable, all right; but if I were going to use it indoors -- even just for canning -- I'd want to retrofit it for propane.
I will use it primarily for canning season out in the summer kitchen or for power outages. We have an indoor propane heater and don’t like how it makes us feel. Glad to have it for emergencies but not for regular use. Also have to be cautious of condensation when using it. Kerosene smells when first lit but then is fine and we don’t have the yuk feeling.

Husband had a shoulder check appt, so we were in the bigger town for that. Then to pick up prescriptions, and on to Atwoods for game bird starter and chick starter. Waited for little granddaughter to come home and help unload, just 320 lbs this time. Got more tomatoes picked, and 4 buckets washed and sorted. Neighbor did a mass neighbor text saying someone is missing a turkey. They have the only green grass around, so she takes a photo of a white turkey on her green grass. Come to think of it, any animal that gets out around here...cows, horses, and now a turkey, always end up on her grass. Ha. It was one of our next door neighbors, his double breasted white turkey. One of the gang that comes over to our place sometimes. We have the most turkeys, but they are not white. I just closed up the animals for the night and saw some spotlights on next door, outside by their coops. They've got tables set up, about 5 amish ladies, and they're all working on turkeys. I bet they'll be canning like crazy tomorrow.

Trip to town, my drivers license had expired… last year! 🤣 Went to pick up prescriptions for my folks last week, something I do several times a month. There was a new girl working there. She actually looked at my license and saw it had expired. The other ladies check my id sometimes. Guess they don’t actually read it any more often than I do.

By way of explanation I told the lady at the court house... i was just trying to avoid the rush! 😁

Got a few groceries then home. Watching tv tonight.

While at work this morning, a bad sore throat suddenly came on. The glands under my jaw swelled up, it hurts to swallow, and when I cough it feels like razor blades in my throat. I got a covid test on my way back to the hotel, and it's negative. So, I either got a really strange cold or I've got a weird allergy to something in the environment here. It is still painful to swallow. Hope I can get some rest. We have a crossing project to button up tomorrow and then it's a 4 hour drive home after that...

Trip to town, my drivers license had expired… last year! 🤣 Went to pick up prescriptions for my folks last week, something I do several times a month. There was a new girl working there. She actually looked at my license and saw it had expired. The other ladies check my id sometimes. Guess they don’t actually read it any more often than I do.

By way of explanation I told the lady at the court house... i was just trying to avoid the rush! 😁

You only need it if you get pulled over anyway. Tells me you’re a great driver 😉

While at work this morning, a bad sore throat suddenly came on. The glands under my jaw swelled up, it hurts to swallow, and when I cough it feels like razor blades in my throat. I got a covid test on my way back to the hotel, and it's negative. So, I either got a really strange cold or I've got a weird allergy to something in the environment here. It is still painful to swallow. Hope I can get some rest. We have a crossing project to button up tomorrow and then it's a 4 hour drive home after that...
Gargle with salt water, take your vitamins and a hot shower then get some rest. Yep- mama bear at work.

Talking with a cousin last night... he had the same thing you describe... But! after a few days in his throat it settled into his chest. Laid him up almost two weeks. He got out of bed to come check on his calf that got out last night. Dad called him, if we'd known he was sick i'd have taken care of the stray this morning.

Anyway, the doc gave my cuz antibiotics, didn't help, after a few days switched to a different antibiotic. I'd suggest getting to a doctor if this goes to your chest.

So @Neb I have to ask, what is the voltage output of the offending wall wort? I am assuming that it is some DC value but that the amperage is too low to carry all of the lights in the string... I guess I am taking the long way around to ask if you have considered using a different DC voltage supply with a higher amperage rating? I see Amazon has an inexpensive variable 30 Watt supply:

SHNITPWR 30W Universal Power Supply 3V 4.5V 5V 6V 7.5V 9V 12V Adjustable Variable AC/DC Adapter with 5V 2.1A USB Port, 100V-240V AC to DC 3V~12V Converter 0.5A 1A 1.2A 1.5A 2A 2.5A Max with 14 Tips​

This morning we had a frost, the greenhouse is operating well and although it stays between 15 and 20F above ambient, I have active heating setup to maintain a minimum temperature of 50F.

The finished basement has old tube lights and this week I discovered that 2 units are not working at all. This space has drop ceiling with 2X2 tiles, so I am going to replace all the old fixtures with 2X2 flush Led fixtures, I will also be replacing any damaged tiles while I am at it.

Yesterday there was a water main break in the area, we were without water for the better part of the day. The break must have been substantially lower that where we are because it tried to siphon water back out of the house and I heard the water heater trying to boil (reducing the pressure lowers the boiling point). I lowered the thermostat setting on the water heater to its lowest setting and everything was fine.

It reminded me that I should have a set of SOPs for different events, water outage, power outage, .....

*CORRECTED POST BELOW*

Do you have a therapy cooler full of your favorite beverages and snacks?
How about a therapy ball bat for that dildohead HH loser? One must
consider such things. When I feel the sting of gout coming on, I move a
cooler full of drinks,a box of pop-top food, and plastic cutlery next to
the bed. and a wide mouth Jug to whiz in. saves everybody trouble.
I’ll skip the wide mouth jug to whiz in. 😱 My Hubby is home with me and he’s real good about monitoring my exercises and serving me snacks and meals. I spend most of my time in my chair with my feet up. But yesterday I made my way into the kitchen and walked Hubby through the process of making quesadillas. A friend gave me some frozen pulled pork. They were pretty delicious. Hubby doesn’t cook much but he’s pretty good about cleaning the kitchen.
Hopefully he has his act together better on Wednesday!! Glad you have your therapy dog!😃
If he doesn’t, I’m going to call and ask for someone else. My dog isn’t REALLY a therapy dog. She just loves me.

In Illinois, they send you a reminder your license is about to expire. But they don’t in Oklahoma and apparently in other states, too.

Middle son (the one who had the bone marrow transplant) just headed out the door. He got a job this past week, and is now looking for an apartment. Getting a sense of normalcy back! This recovery has been a long road - harder and longer than expected - and there's still more to go. But I am so thankful he is finally able to move forward with his life!

I'm at the old house today, making bread and working on frozen chickens. Some time ago I bought whole chickens that were marked waaaay down and put them in the freezer. Apparently I bought more than I realized - the freezers are too full! So now each week I thaw out several and cook them up in some way and vacuum seal. Today's will be chicken and gravy. That way when the boys are each on their own, they can have packages ready to heat up for chicken and rice meals.

Thought you were out of the cat rescue??
They are still short of people, I will go for a little longer. My last "project" should finish next week :) , then the end is here. Trained the new guy on FELV+ care,feeding and cleaning,and kitten season is pretty much done.:drink buddy:

I’ll skip the wide mouth jug to whiz in. 😱 My Hubby is home with me and he’s real good about monitoring my exercises and serving me snacks and meals. I spend most of my time in my chair with my feet up. But yesterday I made my way into the kitchen and walked Hubby through the process of making quesadillas. A friend gave me some frozen pulled pork. They were pretty delicious. Hubby doesn’t cook much but he’s pretty good about cleaning the kitchen.

If he doesn’t, I’m going to call and ask for someone else. My dog isn’t REALLY a therapy dog. She just loves me.

In Illinois, they send you a reminder your license is about to expire. But they don’t in Oklahoma and apparently in other states, too.
(Almost) ALL dogs are therapy dogs😉♥️

Well that was a waste of time!

The Princess made her dislike multiple times this weekend about half of the under cabinet lighting not working. So improving her lighting became my top priority.

At one point I got the lights to stop flashing by fiddling with the dimmer. So I ASSUMED the dimmer was bad. So I jumpered across the dimmer since we have no need for a dimmer.

View attachment 118220

I was wrong! After some more investigation I determined the wall wort was the cause of the flashing. Since the under cabinet lighting consists of two identical sets I was able to get the faulty lights to work using the other wall wort, switch, and dimmer I tried to splice together the two strings of lights to run from the good wall wort string.

View attachment 118221

Success!

Cost me time but The Princess should be happy.

So I moved on to the retired shower stall that now sports a new 10 shelf shelving unit she has been starting to populate.

View attachment 118223

Definitely dark in there. I was gather the components to add an outlet for a four foot LED fixture and...

Then I noticed that the under cabinet LEDs were all flashing now! Oh bother.

So back to Amazon to re-order the same set I had ordered exactly 6 years ago this month. Of course they are no longer available. I did order another flavor of the under counter lighting.

So I have a story to tell The Princess but she will have to put up with strobe lights over the sink for now.

Ben

My wife wanted lights under the cabinets. I thought it was a total waste of money, but we got them anyway. I must admit she was right. They make a huge difference, and a big improvement. I use them regularly.

I have been very busy the last few days, so today I am doing my favorite mechanical work: putting a rear end in a recliner. Wife is out playing Bridge, and I am dog sitting. Sweet dog we have had before. No trouble whatsoever. I am enjoying the quiet.

So @Neb I have to ask, what is the voltage output of the offending wall wort? I am assuming that it is some DC value but that the amperage is too low to carry all of the lights in the string... I guess I am taking the long way around to ask if you have considered using a different DC voltage supply with a higher amperage rating? I see Amazon has an inexpensive variable 30 Watt supply:

SHNITPWR 30W Universal Power Supply 3V 4.5V 5V 6V 7.5V 9V 12V Adjustable Variable AC/DC Adapter with 5V 2.1A USB Port, 100V-240V AC to DC 3V~12V Converter 0.5A 1A 1.2A 1.5A 2A 2.5A Max with 14 Tips​

This morning we had a frost, the greenhouse is operating well and although it stays between 15 and 20F above ambient, I have active heating setup to maintain a minimum temperature of 50F.

The finished basement has old tube lights and this week I discovered that 2 units are not working at all. This space has drop ceiling with 2X2 tiles, so I am going to replace all the old fixtures with 2X2 flush Led fixtures, I will also be replacing any damaged tiles while I am at it.

Yesterday there was a water main break in the area, we were without water for the better part of the day. The break must have been substantially lower that where we are because it tried to siphon water back out of the house and I heard the water heater trying to boil (reducing the pressure lowers the boiling point). I lowered the thermostat setting on the water heater to its lowest setting and everything was fine.

It reminded me that I should have a set of SOPs for different events, water outage, power outage, .....
I suspect you are correct about the current draw. I have a big box of wall worts in the garage but sorting thru them would take a while and when I find one I will still have to do some soldering to get to connect to the lighting.

But there is also a possibility that one of the LED fixtures is drawing too much current as well.

So replacing all of the lighting with a new set comes with confidence it will work. I am always after ways to save money but sometimes I have to declare the battle over and move on.

Ben

Husband had cataract surgery this morning, so early morning and back home a bit after 10. Went well. The nurse taking the tape off the arm around the IV did not go so well. Tore a chunk of skin off the size of a silver dollar. That's going to be a pain to heal for him. So I redid that bandage, since he bled thru the other one. Did his eye drops. He's relaxing now.

Went to lunch with my brother. Then Dad and I pulled out the Lima bean plants that were left in the garden and stripped them of beans. Got 3/4 of a 25 “tomato” box full. Not too shabby for something that was going to be tilled under. Tomorrow we’ll go back to get potatoes and leftover cedar wood for dad to build some tables during the winter.

Husband had cataract surgery this morning, so early morning and back home a bit after 10. Went well. The nurse taking the tape off the arm around the IV did not go so well. Tore a chunk of skin off the size of a silver dollar. That's going to be a pain to heal for him. So I redid that bandage, since he bled thru the other one. Did his eye drops. He's relaxing now.
We are in line to do that on Monday, hope to avoid the IV issues.... Did he do both eyes? The wife is having both eyes done and we are a little antsy about it...

We were installing a crossing in the Twin Cities area today. We track surfaced and the pads in and lagged down when a thunderstorm hit. We kept working for a minute and then the hail started. It was the size of a marble to maybe the size of a penny. We jumped in the trucks to get out of it and wait the storm out. It didn't quit so after a half hour the boss called it. I am headed home...

Today, the wife and some of the girls from Church made sugar cookies, she ran me ragged trying to find the right color sugar(s) for the "season". I went up and had 1 cookie, when the girls finished they took all but 1 plate of cookies, I promptly took that plate to the neighbors (the wife and I are both diabetic and we don't need the temptation). It was good to hear the wife laughing and cutting up.... The girls had never made sugar cookies and the wife loves sharing old time recipes and cooking with them. I think they are planning to "visit" us for Thanksgiving.

Latest posts

Back